Thread: The Cowards...

mtbr member

The Cowards...

... Won't Show and the Weak Will Die..."

Home
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ... Won't Show and the Weak Will Die..."

Home
    I had some bud's that did it the year it was the Ididahike, with 30" of fresh snow. One of the guys passed a couple of guys floudering to take the lead. Later he had second thoughts and went back and ended up saving their lives.

I'm a coward.

mtbr member
    Which year was that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Which year was that?

mtbr member
    I've talked to the race organizer...he is determined that this event is to be a race of endurance, not an event to be endured...trail quality is very important to that vision, as are trail amenities such as warm-up tents in cold desolate locations, as well as hot meals and warm places to sleep/dry-out/regather...He talked with the lodge owners who have stated they will be making extra trips up and down the trail to make-sure it is as bomber as the snow allows...The race director has been winter racing in Alaska since the early 90's and knows what events could be, should be and have not been...this is a race not a suffer-fest...

This place needs an enema
    I've talked to the race organizer...he is determined that this event is to be a race of endurance, not an event to be endured...trail quality is very important to that vision, as are trail amenities such as warm-up tents in cold desolate locations, as well as hot meals and warm places to sleep/dry-out/regather...He talked with the lodge owners who have stated they will be making extra trips up and down the trail to make-sure it is as bomber as the snow allows...The race director has been winter racing in Alaska since the early 90's and knows what events could be, should be and have not been...this is a race not a suffer-fest...
    Best intentions are great, and no doubt Billy has 'em in spades. But the weather will always, always have the last word. Sometimes extra laps on snowmachines only makes things worse, and the only thing that's gonna make the trails firm up is a change in the weather.

mtbr member
    I find it kind of amusing after Billy's amazing trip last winter that he even speaks of having "a race of endurance, not an event to be endured"

all joking aside, I think it's great that he's decided to get this race going again. I thought he did a great job organizing the Sheep Mt race (despite tough conditions) a few years back and I think a 200 mile event bridges nicely that gap between shorter races like Arrowhead and more daunting undertakings like the ITI. This is a great distance and I hope to be on the start line!

mtbr member
    "the weather will always, always have the last word"

...well...yeah, of course...however one of the lodges (Skwentna) does have a Bombardier groomer as well as a pull behind for one of their snomachines. My understanding is they are going to make the trail all it can be...none of the other Alaskan races can really claim the same...breaking a trail is in no way the same as setting and frequently grooming a trail. So, barring nature's fury, the goal is a bomber, well marked trail.

Doughboy2, the timing of this race is no accident.

mtbr member
    There are some pretty cool historical-type pics on the IDITASPORT facebook page. I'd post them here but the whole pic loading thing still does not want to cooperate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Best intentions are great, and no doubt Billy has 'em in spades. But the weather will always, always have the last word. Sometimes extra laps on snowmachines only makes things worse, and the only thing that's gonna make the trails firm up is a change in the weather.
    Let us think positive!

1.This is a great distance to have a RACE, not a slog-fest.
    2.This is a great location for it's placement over an often-used & established trail system
    3.This is a great time of the season.
    4.This is a great opportunity, as the locale favors media and public exposure.
    5.This is organized by a great and very experienced RACER and Adventurer!

Sure, we could get 2 feet of snow the day before the race. We all thought of that, but why kill the buzz by mentioning it?!!.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by E6roller View Post
    Let us think positive!

1.This is a great distance to have a RACE, not a slog-fest.
    2.This is a great location for it's placement over an often-used & established trail system
    3.This is a great time of the season.
    4.This is a great opportunity, as the locale favors media and public exposure.
    5.This is organized by a great and very experienced RACER and Adventurer!

Sure, we could get 2 feet of snow the day before the race. We all thought of that, but why kill the buzz by mentioning it?!!.
    Be sure to give the racers a double shot of your happy juice when the trail vanishes and each step searching for it goes calf deep into overflow!

I didn't originally chime in here to be debbie downer--and re-reading my original post I think that's clear. Just injecting some reality, and trying to be positive about it.

Good luck,

MC

mtbr member

Snow Cats vs. The Six-Pack!

Circa 1997- Race Director Billy (Kooch) Koitzsch and Roger Cowles at the first Iditasport Extreme (350 miles). Check the Iditasport FB page for historical pics and stories added daily-ish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Cowards...-billy-rodger.jpeg  

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I agree with that. It would be better if the extra laps were on a Yamaha Big Wheel.

mtbr member
    Registration
    PayPal is live!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks like a neat event, hopefully it is popular and becomes a winter staple.

I couldn't find a map on the website - what route is being used from the Susitna River to Yentna Station - is up the Yentna River, some sort of overland route, or some combination?

Should be fun snowbiking, unless the weather does something wacky. I have ridden to Skwentna twice from the Knik area - once it was fantastic riding, the other time I pushed almost the entire way.

mtbr member
    Name:  Evingson.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  74.0 KBI'm honestly not sure of the route...however I do know they are getting a general course map worked-up...my understanding is it will be 50/50, maybe 60/40 river/overland...checkout the FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Idita...14323488590712 as well as the website Home for updates...in the meantime, here is a pic of some fatbike history...