Loser
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Me and some friends played around with this idea a while ago using a road bike tire inside of the mnt bike tire. It's not hard to do a DIY system that works the same as this.

The only reason you would need a system like this on fat bike tires is if you want to ride really aggressively on super low single digit pressures. Fat bike tires already offer the traction advantages that the lower psi skinnier tires are achieving with the inner chamber bead lock. They are saying this dual chamber system can go down to 14 psi, well you can already do that on tubless fat tires due to the larger volume. I think this setup would have merit in downhill applications for rim protection and bead retention, but the extra rotational weight of the system would not be worth it for normal fat biking.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    The only reason you would need a system like this on fat bike tires is if you want to ride really aggressively on super low single digit pressures. .
    Why yes, yes I do!! Just having a lot of trouble with burping lately and could something like this do the trick?
    And I love beer!!

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There are a lot of guys running fat tubless without burping problems, but if for some reason you can't get tubeless to work for you then a system like this will lock the tire bead to the rim which will eliminate your burping. It's not hard to do on a narrow mountain bike rim using a skinny road tire inside instead of a tube, but the trouble with a fat bike rim is finding a 1" tall by 80-100 mm wide chamber system that can hold 100 psi and keep a low profile shape. You could get away with it on 50mm rims maybe but the wider you go the harder it is to have an inner low profile pressurized bead lock that will span the wide rim distance and keep it low. You will also be adding a ton of weight of rotational mass on the outer extreme of the wheel where it counts the most. Yes it could be done, but I really don't think it would be worth it for anything other than downhill or super aggressive type riding on narrow rims. Just my thought's but I could be wrong.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Something that might be worth experimenting with would be making a cross sectionally semi-curved semi flexible plastic ring that leaves a 1" gap between it and the rim with a super lightweight tube sandwiched in the gap. When inflating the tube, the slightly larger plastic ring would contain the tube with minimal deformation (hopefully) and the pressure would be exerted outwards onto the tire beads. It would still weigh a lot more than regular tubeless and still probably not worth it for regular riding I would think. Might be fun to experiment with though

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wadester was doing some work on this in 2011. Beadlocks for tubeless.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    There are a lot of guys running fat tubless without burping problems, but if for some reason you can't get tubeless to work for you
    I was one of those guys till this year, matter a fact one of the first on here to be successful at it and now I'm a complete failure
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maybe you have too much buildup of Stans on the beads? Maybe scuff up the rim a bit to get the tire something to hold on to?

This is all karma from me not having your old bud and lou.

mtbr member
    Ghetto tubeless and done. Works great at any pressure. I ride mostly rocky single track with Marge Lite/Husker Du on ghetto tubeless at 5-6 psi or 4-5 psi in the snow with no problems at all. I do not see a need for adding more complexity.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Wadester was doing some work on this in 2011. Beadlocks for tubeless.
    Yes, and I'm still fiddling with it in my spare time. My old rims don't have a bead retainer ridge, so tubeless would be burp city. If you have a loose bead on your tire it will be the same. Life has been getting in the way, and riding is higher priority than tinkering.

I've got the low pressure valve setup figured out. The problem is making the inner "tire". It needs to be wide, but low profile - like a belted 40-series muscle car tire. And both light, and nonporous so it won't bulk up with sealant (which is absolutely necessary here in the southwest). I need to update the old thread, but I want to do the next thing first.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    Ghetto tubeless and done. Works great at any pressure. I ride mostly rocky single track with Marge Lite/Husker Du on ghetto tubeless at 5-6 psi or 4-5 psi in the snow with no problems at all. I do not see a need for adding more complexity.
    Ditto. One additional step we do is add pool noodles inside the tires to protect the rim from rock smacks because of running lower pressures.

Could be good for fat bike tubeless?-image.jpgCould be good for fat bike tubeless?-image.jpg

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I was one of those guys till this year, matter a fact one of the first on here to be successful at it and now I'm a complete failure
    There needs to be a facebook group for those of you who have lost their touch with ghetto fat tubeless.

As far as I know, I haven't lost my touch but I've lost interest. (I just checked and I have a set that has been collecting dust for a while but still holding air just fine.)

The fat bike tubeless ready rims are the only way to go.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    There needs to be a facebook group for those of you who have lost their touch with ghetto fat tubeless.

As far as I know, I haven't lost my touch but I've lost interest. (I just checked and I have a set that has been collecting dust for a while but still holding air just fine.)

The fat bike tubeless ready rims are the only way to go.
    Old thread resurrected and I agree since the new rims have come out there is no need for ghetto. I never had a problem with Surly rims just holding air, it was holding air at 5 psi while jumping the crap out of of em. Umas never burped on me once though, no matter the punishment I threw at em.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I had no trouble converting my Norco Bigfoot to tubeless with duct tape but anything below 10psi would burp off the rim rim

mtbr member

Could be good for fat bike tubeless?

I have not had issues even loaded up with bike packing gear and my big ass.