Stayin' Puft

Converting Surly OD crank to Single?

Anyone have tips on converting a Surly OD crank to single?

It looks like I could replace the outer 94mm ring with another 5-bolt 94mm ring. Not sure how the crank bolt lengths world work out. This would put the single ring in "outer" position, ok for singlespeed use but not optimal for a 1x10 setup.

Otherwise I have to spend $65 just for a "spider" adapter to extend 58mm BCD to 94 if I want to run the ring in the "middle" position (basically replacing the shipping granny-ring). Is there a better way? Putting it middle also leaves the outer ring mounts sort of dangling awkwardly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I put a surly 30 tooth ring on the outer position. bolts are fine- theres only one ring there anyway. works perfect on my moonlander with 1x10. been using it since mid last summer, and have been getting better chain life then with my previous crank set up

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by bjfalken View Post
    I put a surly 30 tooth ring on the outer position. bolts are fine- theres only one ring there anyway. works perfect on my moonlander with 1x10. been using it since mid last summer, and have been getting better chain life then with my previous crank set up
    Thanks, the 30t Surly is exactly what I was looking at. This is for a 170mm bike, so unless I found a different solution likely I would use the single ring for SS, and if throwing gears on go back to 2x10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Where do you find a 30 OD ring. I thought 33 was the smallest avail. Thanks

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Where do you find a 30 OD ring. I thought 33 was the smallest avail. Thanks
    I used a regular 30t Surly steel 94mm 5-bolt ring from Universal Cycles. It is not designed for the OD specifically. It is purely for single ring applications with thick non-beveled teeth and is not designed to shift. Working fine for SS. I can't imagine the angled chain lines of 1x10 with that square tooth profile though…

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I gotcha, forgot you were running single. The stainless rings are thick while the OD rings are really thin, although they have ramps and pins.
    I'm wondering how they hold up?

mtbr member
    If the inner position would be better for chainline when running 1x10, you'll want a 58 BCD chainring with 30 teeth. To my knowledge no-one readily makes them. I don't trust the Surly spider: it's too light and the radial legs are prone to failure when transmitting torque. (Same reason why radial spoked front wheels are OK with rim brakes, but not with drum/disc brakes.)

I had these babies custom made for my Moonlander and Mr. Whirly cranks. 33 teeth with 104 mm 4-bolt and 110 mm 5-bolt holes for attaching a secondary chainring (dinglespeed) or bash guard to the side:

Here's the chainstay clearance. Plenty enough:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

front ring

Hi Bjfalken,

What front ring did you run on your 1x10 Moonlander? I'd like to make my Pugsly Ops into 1x10 with the Surly OD Cranks

Thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bjfalken View Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Converting Surly OD crank to Single?

Recently been pondering the same thing. I ended up going for a Middleburn 28T 58-BCD chainring (closest to 30T I could find), but the longer-term plan is to keep fingers crossed and hope that Wolf Tooth make it to market with a 30T narrow-wide ring in 58 BCD; looks like there's a fairly good chance of this - 30T 58 BCD chainring? (see post 10).