mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New question here. Commuting with new bike and looking for options

Commuting with new bike and looking for options-bike2.jpg
    getting back into the winter commuting way of life with my new baby, ( pick her up in a week), and wondering what the group uses to commute with as far as bags. Will be adding some Salsa Everything cages to the front for Growler transport and others but looking for what you use for laptop, work attire, and the such..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A rear rack and some water proof ortlieb panniers are a great way to do the daily bump n grind. Keeps the extra weight off your back and bum, and offers more useable cargo space for a trip to the grocery store on the way home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    ^Ditto. I personally prefer water resistant bags to avoid foul odors, and keep fresh gear in a liner bag/stuff sack.

mtbr member
    I have two OMM racks and Banjo Bros panniers, but rarely use the panniers unless I'm grocery shopping. I usually wad my stuff into a reusable fabric shopping bag, roll it up tight and bungee it down.

My friend loves his custom home-built frame bag.

If you get racks, it's going to be easier to build fenders!
    Last edited by Sven7; 01-20-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

mtbr member
    I've been commuting every day since April. Used the skinny bike until I bought the fatty in October for Minnesota winters.

I have panniers, a nice Dakine backpack and a sports duffle bag.

I bought the panniers in April with the skinny bike assuming that's what I would use on my daily commute. What I found was I could not keep my dress clothes wrinkle free.

Same with the back pack.

I found a simple sport bag and bought the biggest plastic container I could fit inside of it. First I put my undershirt, socks and undies in. Then I fold my dress pants and collared shirt and place them inside the box. Put the lid on. Laptop and shoes go on top of the lid. Zip up the sports bag and bungee it to my rack. My bag was getting really dirty so I figured out how to get the mud shovel under it.

Sometimes I also use the panniers or backpack if I have more stuff but the clothes always go in the bag. The sports bag can bungee on top of the panniers. And I can also use the back pack if I want to pretend I'm a sherpa.

If I don't need clothes I use the panniers or my backpack. I don't mind some weight on my back especially if I'm going to be hitting some single track on my way to or from work.

Don't have a picture of the bag but if you want one let me know.

Commuting with new bike and looking for options-rack.jpg
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Jeff_G, would love a picture. I am kind of thinking Kitty Litter Panniers (Biking With Burch: My Kitty Litter Panniers...) for the same reason as you. need to keep the work close clean and not looking i jumped out of a dumpster. Any and all pictures i woudl love. What rack is that on the back?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Use a frame bag for some of the stuff?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowspark View Post
    Jeff_G, would love a picture. I am kind of thinking Kitty Litter Panniers (Biking With Burch: My Kitty Litter Panniers...) for the same reason as you. need to keep the work close clean and not looking i jumped out of a dumpster. Any and all pictures i woudl love. What rack is that on the back?
    I will gladly get you multiple pictures, provide you with a cheap sports bag with my company logo and give you the dimensions of the plastic box................ if you promise not to bolt kitty litter containers to your bike.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I Promise not to bolt kitty litter boxes to this bike, but i might try these
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    leeboh :looking at this frame pack: Orbiter Roll-top Frame Pack | Custom Bicycle Bags - The Porcelain Rocket because it is bad ass and made local but if any one else has other ideas for the WO ...

mtbr member
    I'm no weight wienie but even bolting that 2 pound rack to the back of my bike is noticeable. Plus aerodynamics.

I can see the benefit of having those boxes for groceries etc (bread and eggs can be a problem in panniers) but I would not want those for my commute to work.

The sports bag weighs very little, is streamlined behind me and the seat, holds enough to get me through work for a day and most importantly keeps my clothes dry and wrinkle free.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I will wait to see what you setup looks like. interested to see what the "biggest plastic container" is. Alos looking at this if i can get away with packing my daliy work cloths in the Roll method.
    Option 1
    Mr. Fusion V2 | Custom Bicycle Bags - The Porcelain Rocket
    Option 2
    http://www.blackburndesign.com/bags/...l#.Vp6zv_krJhE

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I use a slightly larger backpack and fold my dress clothes (I wear a shirt and tie at work) in an Eagle Creek Garment Folder. I towel myself off and change at work. It's a short 6.5 mile commute so I don't get too sweaty. My backpack can hold the folder, a laptop, an ipad and a couple of bike tools just fine. I leave my dress shoes (and a belt if I remember) at work and just use the same ones every day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Commuting with new bike and looking for options-fatbike5.jpg
    Here she is all warm and cozy after a short ride to test out the new back end. Have the nice normal panniers for the work week but when the weekend comes and there is ice to rind on. This is what is on the back. added the Topeak Uni Super Tourist Fat, Disc on the back with a little bit of bending it fits like a glove as well as the added space comes from the MTM SPUD7 Sportsmen's Plus Utility Dry Boxwhich is a tanker of a box but will work well for what i need it to do!
    I will add photos of the work week set up tonight! thanks for all your help!