Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Is there anywhere in the US you purchase these tires? I want a Green and Orange one. It's for winter riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck732 View Post
    Is there anywhere in the US you purchase these tires? I want a Green and Orange one. It's for winter riding.
    Google is your friend.
    A quick google of "on one floater" find this link a couple from the top.
    On-One COLORED Floater Fat Tire

The USA distributor for OnOne.

Craig

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    FWIW they are local in Portland, OR

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Has anyone found that their Floaters are out of round? I got a pair of green ones and they both have a "high" spot that can be seen while looking at the spinning tire from the side or back when eyed against a spot on the seatstays or fork. I have them set up with tubes on Marge Lites. The amount of pressure in the tire doesn't appear to make any difference. I can feel the bounce as well - when I'm on a smooth trail or the road. When the front and rear are out of sync my bike does a little rocking horse type movement. Weird.
    There isn't a bubbled area or visibly distorted area - just a 5 or 6 inch section of the tire is a quarter inch higher than the rest.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastR View Post
    I have them set up with tubes

Well, that will definitely do it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well, that will definitely do it.
    Huh. Well, I've never had that happen before, but I guess I'll de-tubeify them and see. I was thinking if I had to send them back it'd be a pain to clean them up from the sealant - but it sounds like that'll be what I need to do to get to the bottom of it. I wanted to make them tubeless anyway to if that cures it - whoopee!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Colored On One Floaters

Has anyone found that their Floaters are out of round? I got a pair of green ones and they both have a "high" spot that can be seen while looking at the spinning tire from the side or back when eyed against a spot on the seatstays or fork. I have them set up with tubes on Marge Lites. The amount of pressure in the tire doesn't appear to make any difference. I can feel the bounce as well - when I'm on a smooth trail or the road. When the front and rear are out of sync my bike does a little rocking horse type movement. Weird.
    There isn't a bubbled area or visibly distorted area - just a 5 or 6 inch section of the tire is a quarter inch higher than the rest.
    You have not said if the tire beads are seated correctly or not.
    Also try rotating the tire 90 degrees on the rim and reinflating.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Colored On One Floaters

I believe so - but good point...

Anchorage, AK
    Huh. Well, I've never had that happen before, but I guess I'll de-tubeify them and see. I was thinking if I had to send them back it'd be a pain to clean them up from the sealant - but it sounds like that'll be what I need to do to get to the bottom of it. I wanted to make them tubeless anyway to if that cures it - whoopee!
    I sometimes get flat spots when I use 2.7 to 3.5 inner tubes. The innertubes will sometime not expand properly where they are reinforced (often around the valve) creating the flat spot.
    --Peace

see me rollin, they hatin
    ok, i'm thinking real hard about these. first of all, i currently have Nates, which i know are great tires. it would seem sinful to take them off, but i REALLY want the white floaters!

couple questions, is the rubber tacky? i've heard that colored rubber can have grip issues, and i dont want to get a tire thats going to kill me in wet conditions. I ride both snow and dirt

also, how much dirt sticks to them? i realize they will get dirty, but i want white tires (some dirt is expected) not tan tires
    fap

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    ok, i'm thinking real hard about these. first of all, i currently have Nates, which i know are great tires. it would seem sinful to take them off, but i REALLY want the white floaters!

couple questions, is the rubber tacky? i've heard that colored rubber can have grip issues, and i dont want to get a tire thats going to kill me in wet conditions. I ride both snow and dirt

also, how much dirt sticks to them? i realize they will get dirty, but i want white tires (some dirt is expected) not tan tires
    Base on my experienced riding dirt trails. Slippery on roots when wet.

Loser
    To give you my perspective - I have run 4 different kinds of tires - Vee Missions, Specialized Ground Controls, black Floaters and orange Floaters. I ride often with a guy who runs Nates.

I would say that the Nates have slightly better traction than the Floaters, I have only noticed that on snow rides, in dirt both provide plenty of traction. I don't know for sure, but I would expect that the Floaters would have less rolling resistance than the Nates - just based on the tread pattern. I don't notice much of a difference between the black and orange Floaters, but there was such a time spread between owning those two that my opinion is not worth much there. Even though its not part of your question - the Ground Control tires have better traction than both of those tires in snow.

My orange tires shed dirt pretty well and are not stained by the dirt at all. Of course if you run through mud some will stick for a bit, but once that dirt falls off the tires are back to being orange, they are not muddy-orange.

Here is a picture from last night, I've had these on my bike for 2-3 months and get ridden in the dirt at least 2x per week over that period:

Hope that helps.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

see me rollin, they hatin
    Nice i know the old school colored rubber (from what i've heard anyway) can feel like slippery plastic on wet because they lack some sort of ingredient that the black tires have. I get that the traction would be a bit less because of the knobs. I was going to sell my nates to easily pay for the floaters, but maybe i'll hold onto them once i see how i like my floaters. i'm worried less about the knobs, and more about the rubber quality i guess.
    fap

Loser
    The sidewalls on the orange Floater is definitely thicker than the sidewall on the black ones (they're heavier too). I can't speak to the hardness of the rubber.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post

I've been running the white floaters.

They grip well in the conditions I've tried them out in so far (dry single track). They roll better than Nates. You're not going to beat Nates in wet conditions traction, though. Horses for courses.

You folks are worried about dirt making your tires look... um... dirty?
    Last edited by ultraspontane; 07-09-2014 at 09:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Agh! Want the Orange ones so bad but they're out of stock everywhere...

Anyone have any insight as to when these will be back in stock?

Fat & Single
    They have discounted the Pinkies down to $34 and the white/orange/green still $54... any wonder they sell like hot-cakes. $100 order and they send to oz for free, na i'll fleece myself and spend $150+ shipping on a single HuDu.

Thinking seriously about running these or veerubba's as everyday tyres,
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was also considering the Vee Rubber Mission's (also available in a plethora of colors) but the reviews weren't as favorable as those for the Floaters. The price is pretty hard to beat on either tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Agh! Want the Orange ones so bad but they're out of stock everywhere...

Anyone have any insight as to when these will be back in stock?
    Is it ok if I put a link here, if not admin can delete it off.
    OK you don't have to wait for On-One colored floaters. Vee rubber too provide colors but still from On-One website.
    Vee Rubber Mission 120TPI Folding Tyre | On - One

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I noticed the Vee Rubber's too. I'm just not as sure about the Mission's as they have more mixed reviews than the Floaters.

FWIW, I'm building a year-round rig, so I'll be riding dusty double-track, as well as (hopefully) snow.

Edit: I just got word back from Plantet X that they don't have any dates on when the Orange ones will be back in.

So it looks like I'll be stuck with Missions or one of those 'black' tires.
    Last edited by Shinkers; 07-13-2014 at 08:52 PM.

mtbr member
    I tried my Orange Floaters on the Moonlander back in April. forgot to post them up!. Having a higher side wall than my Surly 4" tyres they fit ok and the 100mm rim is not too exposed.

13th April; On One Floater tyres on Moonlander 100mm rims 001 by coastkid71, on Flickr

13th April; On One Floater tyres on Moonlander 100mm rims 009 by coastkid71, on Flickr

13th April; On One Floater tyres on Moonlander 100mm rims 004 by coastkid71, on Flickr

13th April; On One Floater tyres on Moonlander 100mm rims 007 by coastkid71, on Flickr

The bike rides nice on regular trails with these tyres, not squirmy like with the BFL`s. but not very good in real soft sand due to the firmer side wall, that is ok though as this set up allows the Moonie to turn it`s hand alonside my Nate shod Pugs as a trail fatbike
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    120 tpi floaters on sale UK site 50% off coloreds. Purchasing 2 would give you free shipping.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by steve1324 View Post
    120 tpi floaters on sale UK site 50% off coloreds. Purchasing 2 would give you free shipping.
    Link please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    50% as long as you want pink, all other tires are 20%.

On-One Floater 120TPI Folding Tyre | On - One

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    50% as long as you want pink, all other tires are 20%.

On-One Floater 120TPI Folding Tyre | On - One
    Sorry didn't check all colors, and the deal didn't specify . should have known. Maybe your wives need tires?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast