Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Colored On One Floaters

Guys, the solution is simple. Just order 6 tires like I did. Then you can get free shipping, and swim around in colored floaters like Scrooge McDuck.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Guys, the solution is simple. Just order 6 tires like I did. Then you can get free shipping, and swim around in colored floaters like Scrooge McDuck.
    You have not been paying attention. No longer any free shipping on Floaters no matter the number.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You have not been paying attention. No longer any free shipping on Floaters no matter the number.
    Not quite.
    As I posted when I last checked at On-One on July 31st, free shipping of coloured floaters kicked in at 100 GBP. Three wouldn't reach that threshold, four would (earlier that same night I got free shipping at a threshold of 60 GBP).
    Colored On One Floaters
    Colored On One Floaters-one-over-100-gbp-no-shpping-charge-c.jpg
    Note that their sites are being changed/updated. For several weeks this summer suddenly - for me - their site would no longer display inventory information (seemingly once one of the four colours was sold out) nor colour selection on coloured floaters. That suddenly reappeared a number of weeks ago. They're in flux. Doesn't surprise me that when you did it you didn't get free shipping no matter how many. We'll see what settles out of it once they're done their updates.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    So, white for winter use, orange for fall, green for spring & summer, ... another two tires in pink for Burning Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Not quite.
    As I posted when I last checked at On-One on July 31st, free shipping of coloured floaters kicked in at 100 GBP. Three wouldn't reach that threshold, four would (earlier that same night I got free shipping at a threshold of 60 GBP).
    Colored On One Floaters
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on-one, over 100 GBP, no shpping charge - c.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	913410
    Note that their sites are being changed/updated. For several weeks this summer suddenly - for me - their site would no longer display inventory information (seemingly once one of the four colours was sold out) nor colour selection on coloured floaters. That suddenly reappeared a number of weeks ago. They're in flux. Doesn't surprise me that when you did it you didn't get free shipping no matter how many. We'll see what settles out of it once they're done their updates.

So, white for winter use, orange for fall, green for spring & summer, ... another two tires in pink for Burning Man?
    Updates are done. No free shipping on Floaters.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Updates are done. No free shipping on Floaters.
    Just tried again. Free shipping once four tires in basket for 133.32 GBP (no VAT). Three tires at 99.99 GBP, shipping 24.99 GBP.
    White tires.
    I'll go check the other colours, just in case...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    O.K.
    Weird.
    3 white tires - 24.99 GBP shipping.
    4 white tires - free shipping.
    4 green tires - free shipping.
    4 white tires & 4 green tires, 60.00 GBP shipping.
    2 white tires & 2 green tires, free shipping.
    2 white, 2 green & 2 orange, 60.00 GBP shipping.

For these coloured folding floaters...
    • Any one to three tires, under 100 GBP, charged 24.99 GBP shipping.
    • Any four tires, over 100 GBP and you get free shipping.
    • Any five or more tires no free shipping - shipping is 60.00 GBP.

Best guess: over 100 GBP = free shipping, until a size or weight factor kicks shipping back in (in this case five or more tires).

Hooligan
    this is tough. i want to get a more aggressive set of tires for winter. the floaters fit the bill, but i really wanted a set of nates.
    just for some background info: the original plan was that the girl would get a set of the white floaters for her pug, and then i would buy the nates from her, offsetting the cost. she gets her white tires, i get my aggressive tires, we're both happy.
    unfortunately, since on one has changed their shipping policy and no longer offers free shipping on the 2 tires, she has been trying to convince me to go in on the deal with her and get a set for myself. i'm still trying to figure out what i want to do.

This is a quick late night photoshop mockup of our bikes with the tires. The blue one Represents her pug with the whites

And my bullseye monster with the greens. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i'm so confused now.....no more free shipping on ANY floaters? Dirtdawg, maybe you can do a test again.
    fap

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i'm so confused now.....no more free shipping on ANY floaters? Dirtdawg, maybe you can do a test again.
    This morning:
    But who knows what it will be when you order...

9:zero:7
    In my opinion orange would give you a good contrast on the green Monster.
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So - currently - at the On-One site, for On-One 120 TPI folding Floater, International Shipping (United States selected), no VAT:

Black & colours, excepting pink
    • two tires 91.65 GBP, ~$154.61 USD, for ~$77.31 USD per tire.
    • four tires 133.32 GBP, ~224.91 USD, for ~$56.23 USD per tire, free shipping
    • six tires 259.98 GBP, ~438.59 USD, for ~$73.10 USD per tire.

Pink
    • two tires 66.65 GBP, ~$112.44 USD, for ~$56.22 USD per tire.
    • four tires 108.31 GBP ~$182.72 USD, for ~$45.68 USD per tire.
    • six tires 184.98 GBP ~$312.06 USD, for ~$52.01 USD per tire.

O.K.
    Weird.
    3 white tires - 24.99 GBP shipping.
    4 white tires - free shipping.
    4 green tires - free shipping.
    4 white tires & 4 green tires, 60.00 GBP shipping.
    2 white tires & 2 green tires, free shipping.
    2 white, 2 green & 2 orange, 60.00 GBP shipping.

Best guess: over 100 GBP = free shipping, until a size or weight factor kicks shipping back in (in this case five or more tires).
    I am getting that, too. Odd.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am getting that, too. Odd.
    I'm also thinking that with all the different browsing platforms, takes them awhile to get it right across them all.

But the way they've got it setup, if someone wants six tires, it's cheaper to order four with free shipping, then a separate order for two paying 24.99 GBP for shipping. Otherwise it's 60.00 GBP shipping on a three pair order...

I'm also thinking that with all the different browsing platforms, takes them awhile to get it right across them all.

But the way they've got it setup, if someone wants six tires, it's cheaper to order four with free shipping, then a separate order for two paying 24.99 GBP for shipping. Otherwise it's 60.00 GBP shipping on a three pair order...
    The browser type should not matter.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The browser type should not matter.
    It doesn't matter in that it should be the same, but it depends on how their pages are constructed. Look at the different results you were getting vs. what I was getting, with the delay until you were seeing what I was seeing.
    Then there's what version of firefox vs. explorer, mobile, etc.. They should be testing across a wide range of browser standards before rolling updates out.
    When their site stopped displaying inventory for coloured floaters, I hadn't updated my browser, etc. (I run behind the leading edge, for stability). They said the inventory worked fine for them, they were still getting sales, so they weren't concerned. Then it suddenly started working again a short while ago. All of the changing little glitches, along with continuing changing functionality following an update, suggests their rollout procedure needs some improvement, or they might even be doing most of it adhoc.

It doesn't matter in that it should be the same, but it depends on how their pages are constructed. Look at the different results you were getting vs. what I was getting, with the delay until you were seeing what I was seeing.
    Then there's what version of firefox vs. explorer, mobile, etc.. They should be testing across a wide range of browser standards before rolling updates out.
    When their site stopped displaying inventory for coloured floaters, I hadn't updated my browser, etc. (I run behind the leading edge, for stability). They said the inventory worked fine for them, they were still getting sales, so they weren't concerned. Then it suddenly started working again a short while ago. All of the changing little glitches, along with continuing changing functionality following an update, suggests their rollout procedure needs some improvement, or they might even be doing most of it adhoc.
    I never had just four tires in the cart and may have used tires with different prices. That is product selection variations, not browser related.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Colored On One Floaters

Unless the site is very poorly designed, business logic related to shipping will be on server side, not client side - browser *should* not matter

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ionofchios View Post
    ... browser *should* not matter
    yup
    Yet this summer for a long number of weeks, after having been functional before, their "view all availability" would only display "sold out", with none of the usual boxes for colour choice, etc.. They just stopped displaying on my system. Their customer service confirmed that they saw them all, sold out except for green and pink, and that they were able to see these and users were still placing orders, so it obviously was working for some. They passed it up the line while they recommended that I change the browser that I used. Eventually (weeks) something they changed fixed it, be it an intentional fix or a side effect, and the information was displayed again (now a colour can be sold out and the boxes still display and are functional).
    So with the site having a history of issues, when I see signs of ad hoc rollouts, getting different results over a number of days, even within the same day, it doesn't instill confidence as to site stability and reliability. So with people reporting varying results...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Colored On One Floaters

Yep, sounds like some features are a bit iffy, design-wise.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can't prove this, but the feel I get for those two sites is one where management won't fund a more robust testing/upgrade/rollout procedure, nor the time for it, as the techs have worked their butts off to perform minor miracles so often that management doesn't see the need, as the techs manage to keep them running.

That for some products, or the site entire, some customers get ticked and go elsewhere, doesn't make it to management's desk.

They had a great run of floaters, and are restocking, but with the new shipping costs, they're no longer the obvious good/best value for the money. If the market won't support floater sales with those shipping costs, they'll likely attribute it to end-of-season.

Of course we don't know how much of their business is "international" either, so those numbers may not be important to the company.

mtbr member
    I ordered a set of green floaters from the UK store, shipped to the US for about $142 USD including shipping just last week. The Planet X web site showed none in stock, so I just ordered from the US site. I've seen them cheaper at 65 bucks or so, but a few extra dollars wasn't going to stop me from living my dream! lol.

Loser
    Long-ish term review:

I've had the orange Floaters on my Fatboy for about 300 miles of riding. All in technical, rooty and rocky terrain. They are wearing about how most good mountain bike tires wear around here. They definitely don't look new anymore (these pictures are all of the rear tire - the front looks about the same on the sidewall with less tread wear):

You can see the kind of beating the sidewalls have taken (some Stans ooze):

More sidewall:

The sidewalls show some cracking in places, but no Stan's oozing or anything, I'm assuming this is just superficial and by the time it's more than that the tread will be worn out. I'm thinking I'll get one summer season out of these - summer being from April to December, and that's ok by me.

hmmm. i guess i'm not terribly concerned (recently ordered the white ones) because most of my riding with be snow, with occasional dirt rides. but hey, they arent super pricy, so if i only ever get them once, it's not the end of the world. I ride a lot tho, between 2000-3000 miles a year, but not all on fat bike.
    fap

Loser
    That's about the mileage I do as well, but it's spread between the fat, regular mountain and road bikes. I guess I'll do about 5-600 miles on the fat bike this year, based on my mileage to date.

so my sexy white tires have arrived. Decided to take a clean pic before i run over dog poop and hobos in my local park.

Colored On One Floaters-10592699_10154496293660271_5940332883528445818_n.jpgColored On One Floaters-10479730_10154496293665271_1110899875388317999_n.jpg
    fap

Hooligan
    ^obviously my green ones came in too, but nicole was excited so we outfitted her bike first. i like the way it turned out.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Hooligan

Got em mounted up. First impression is that this is a great tire! Well done shiggy.

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Hi Fellow Fatty Friends!
    I've been pondering upon getting the white 4.0 tires to put on my Rolling Fatty. The On-One website is selling two types of White Fat Tires.....1) The On-One Floater and 2) The Vee Rubber Mission. My Fat Biking consists mainly of NYC Bicycle Paths and NYC streets. There are some parks around that I ride thru occasionally, but the bulk of my rides are on concrete and asphalt. Which of the two tread designs would you suggest for this type of riding? And, when the snow hits NYC this winter, I will be Fat Bike commuting thru that stuff too. Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am still debating on if I am manly enough to rock the pink ones. That is one heck of a deal for those tires. I have a pink shirt (Save the TATAs)...

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Sexton View Post
    Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
    The Floaters are a fairly aggressive tire, they will wear quickly and provide a lot of rolling resistance on asphalt surfaces. The Missions are far less aggressive, but exhibit bad self-steer tendencies. I never rode them pumped up higher than 8 PSI or so, maybe at higher PSI they wouldn't be as bad. I think I would find a different low profile tire than the Mission - there are plenty out there. I don't think you want to ride a great snow tire for the 10 months of the year you're riding on asphalt.

Hooligan
    I have a set of the missions, they came stock on my bike. I like them a lot for dirt and pavement. Low rolling resistance. I guess I just got use to the self steer, because I remember feeling it when I first started riding, but after the first week I stopped noticing it. I figured it was just a fat bike thing. I would say go for those if youre gona stick to bike paths, but I don't think they would do so well in the snow. Are they cheaper than the floaters? Thats always a factor for me too.

Hi Fellow Fatty Friends!
    I've been pondering upon getting the white 4.0 tires to put on my Rolling Fatty. The On-One website is selling two types of White Fat Tires.....1) The On-One Floater and 2) The Vee Rubber Mission. My Fat Biking consists mainly of NYC Bicycle Paths and NYC streets. There are some parks around that I ride thru occasionally, but the bulk of my rides are on concrete and asphalt. Which of the two tread designs would you suggest for this type of riding? And, when the snow hits NYC this winter, I will be Fat Bike commuting thru that stuff too. Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
    i was about to say get the missions, but they might be suicide on icy streets. i found the fat bike on any type of ice if not studded, will land you on your ass. the big wide footprint doesnt "dig" into the ice at all, and the colored squeaky rubber will probably even do worse.

they are pretty cheap, if you could feasibly get both, then i'd say do it! Otherwise, you may rub those knobs right off if you do lots of pavement. i did a real long ride on pavement on my Nates, and holy hell, if you can avoid that type of rolling resistance, you will be happy. Unless the vibrations of the knobs give you a special thrill.

ps. in slush and snow, aggressive is good!
    fap

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Thanks Guys for the responses!

Aggressiveness and Low Rolling Resistance. Those seem to be the action words in determining the type of tire that's going to fit the ride. So now I'm thinking - "What if I get one of each? What if I put a White Vee Mission on the front and the white On-One on the back?" My Fatty is currently rolling on Innova Spider Treads. I've seen posts in other Fat Bike threads referring to the Spiders as "Slicks". I'm only 3 months into Fat Biking, so I really don't know the difference yet. But some white 4" tires would certainly enhance the look of my crazy Fat Bike!
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...For these coloured folding floaters...
    Bad news. As someone in another thread pointed out, shipping has gone up again.
    Four tires are now charged 40 GBP shipping. Even a single tire has a shipping charge of 40 GBP.

Hooligan
    Thanks Guys for the responses!

Aggressiveness and Low Rolling Resistance. Those seem to be the action words in determining the type of tire that's going to fit the ride. So now I'm thinking - "What if I get one of each? What if I put a White Vee Mission on the front and the white On-One on the back?" My Fatty is currently rolling on Innova Spider Treads. I've seen posts in other Fat Bike threads referring to the Spiders as "Slicks". I'm only 3 months into Fat Biking, so I really don't know the difference yet. But some white 4" tires would certainly enhance the look of my crazy Fat Bike!
    if youve already got slicks then you could just go for the floaters, that way you have a set of each and can swap them out as you see fit.
    one of each isnt a bad idea either. personally i think i would run the mission on the back and the floater on the front, but that's my personal preference and you should do whatever feels best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I wouldn't run the Floaters on the street unless wearing a good set of headphones to block sound. Those Mother truckers are loud!

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I wouldn't run the Floaters on the street unless wearing a good set of headphones to block sound. Those Mother truckers are loud!
    and slow. on pavement the noise doesnt bother me nearly as much as the effort required to move the bike does.
    thats why i suggested the floater up front, less weight on the knobby tire makes the bike roll much better. that and i would rather have the traction up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I wish the price on the pink ones was cheaper at the planet-x USA site like in the UK. With the shipping charges it makes it just as cheap to buy from the USA and then all the colors are the same price (and I only want the pink ones because they are so cheap - they dropped the price today on the pink again...).

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    I wish the price on the pink ones was cheaper at the planet-x USA site like in the UK. With the shipping charges it makes it just as cheap to buy from the USA and then all the colors are the same price (and I only want the pink ones because they are so cheap - they dropped the price today on the pink again...).
    I hear ya man. Nicole and I just finished dodging the shipping charge, its a pain.
    on the bright side, now have a set of green tires. if we didnt have to order 4 of them in order to get free shipping i probably would have sprung for nates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was all set to order four of them to get the free shipping. Shipping charge = $66.30. Ouch. On a plus note the pink tires now = $34.54 each...
    $204 for four of them. Not sure I need four pink tires though... I know my son would never use them, LOL. $50 each vs. the $64 each from the USA supplier but then I have to get four.

Hooligan
    Maybe you could sell them on fat bike trader or something. With the price that low it should be easy to make your money back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dang it. I had 4 tires in my cart a couple days ago, just had not pulled the trigger. Now with shipping charges, I will probably pass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
    ...Now with shipping charges, I will probably pass.
    If you pass, make sure you give them feedback why you decided to pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    The Floaters are a fairly aggressive tire, they will wear quickly and provide a lot of rolling resistance on asphalt surfaces. The Missions are far less aggressive, but exhibit bad self-steer tendencies.
    High rolling resistance applies to new Floater tires only. Once they wear, and they do quickly (especially on gravel roads and tarmac), rolling resistance and sound emission decrease a lot.

On the contrary self-steer tendencies increase quite substantially. Due to wear the tires profile changes from a 'full' knobby profile to one with a smoother ridge down the center of the tread, with bigger knobs remaining on the sides. Cornering on hard-packed surfaces becomes a rather surprising experience.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think their site is on drugs.
    White On-One Floaters.
    United States.

1, 2 or 3 tire(s), shipping is 39.99 GBP
    4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP
    5 to 10 tires, shipping is 60 GBP
    11 to 18 tires, shipping is 145 GBP

same for 2 green with 2 white, 4 tires, shipping 29.99 GBP

2 white, 1 green & 1 black, shipping is 60 GBP

sigh

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post

Got em mounted up. First impression is that this is a great tire! Well done shiggy.
    Now THAT is a green bike

Hooligan

I think their site is on drugs.
    White On-One Floaters.
    United States.

1, 2 or 3 tire(s), shipping is 39.99 GBP
    4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP
    5 to 10 tires, shipping is 60 GBP
    11 to 18 tires, shipping is 145 GBP

same for 2 green with 2 white, 4 tires, shipping 29.99 GBP

2 white, 1 green & 1 black, shipping is 60 GBP

sigh
    Thats lame. Im glad that I got mine when I did. Sound like I narrowly dodged the 4 tire shipping charge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Thats lame. Im glad that I got mine when I did. Sound like I narrowly dodged the 4 tire shipping charge.
    I'm keen to order a pair of these coloured tires for my moonie but shipping to Oz will cost more than the tires.. Does anyone have a current coupon code or know the cheapest way to buy them?

mtbr member
    May 2011

I bought 6 of these bad boys when they were selling for 50 bucks a piece and got free shipping on all of them. Now I'm all set for summer tires for the next two years at least.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Great song selection!!

Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Pumpkin Pugs on a detour home from work today

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aF7oVfVrVqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Perfect song for this video!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast