Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Colored On One Floaters

Guys, the solution is simple. Just order 6 tires like I did. Then you can get free shipping, and swim around in colored floaters like Scrooge McDuck.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Guys, the solution is simple. Just order 6 tires like I did. Then you can get free shipping, and swim around in colored floaters like Scrooge McDuck.
    You have not been paying attention. No longer any free shipping on Floaters no matter the number.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You have not been paying attention. No longer any free shipping on Floaters no matter the number.
    Not quite.
    As I posted when I last checked at On-One on July 31st, free shipping of coloured floaters kicked in at 100 GBP. Three wouldn't reach that threshold, four would (earlier that same night I got free shipping at a threshold of 60 GBP).
    Colored On One Floaters
    Colored On One Floaters-one-over-100-gbp-no-shpping-charge-c.jpg
    Note that their sites are being changed/updated. For several weeks this summer suddenly - for me - their site would no longer display inventory information (seemingly once one of the four colours was sold out) nor colour selection on coloured floaters. That suddenly reappeared a number of weeks ago. They're in flux. Doesn't surprise me that when you did it you didn't get free shipping no matter how many. We'll see what settles out of it once they're done their updates.

So, white for winter use, orange for fall, green for spring & summer, ... another two tires in pink for Burning Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Not quite.
    As I posted when I last checked at On-One on July 31st, free shipping of coloured floaters kicked in at 100 GBP. Three wouldn't reach that threshold, four would (earlier that same night I got free shipping at a threshold of 60 GBP).
    Colored On One Floaters
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	on-one, over 100 GBP, no shpping charge - c.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	913410
    Note that their sites are being changed/updated. For several weeks this summer suddenly - for me - their site would no longer display inventory information (seemingly once one of the four colours was sold out) nor colour selection on coloured floaters. That suddenly reappeared a number of weeks ago. They're in flux. Doesn't surprise me that when you did it you didn't get free shipping no matter how many. We'll see what settles out of it once they're done their updates.

So, white for winter use, orange for fall, green for spring & summer, ... another two tires in pink for Burning Man?
    Updates are done. No free shipping on Floaters.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Updates are done. No free shipping on Floaters.
    Just tried again. Free shipping once four tires in basket for 133.32 GBP (no VAT). Three tires at 99.99 GBP, shipping 24.99 GBP.
    White tires.
    I'll go check the other colours, just in case...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    O.K.
    Weird.
    3 white tires - 24.99 GBP shipping.
    4 white tires - free shipping.
    4 green tires - free shipping.
    4 white tires & 4 green tires, 60.00 GBP shipping.
    2 white tires & 2 green tires, free shipping.
    2 white, 2 green & 2 orange, 60.00 GBP shipping.

For these coloured folding floaters...
    • Any one to three tires, under 100 GBP, charged 24.99 GBP shipping.
    • Any four tires, over 100 GBP and you get free shipping.
    • Any five or more tires no free shipping - shipping is 60.00 GBP.

Best guess: over 100 GBP = free shipping, until a size or weight factor kicks shipping back in (in this case five or more tires).

Hooligan
    this is tough. i want to get a more aggressive set of tires for winter. the floaters fit the bill, but i really wanted a set of nates.
    just for some background info: the original plan was that the girl would get a set of the white floaters for her pug, and then i would buy the nates from her, offsetting the cost. she gets her white tires, i get my aggressive tires, we're both happy.
    unfortunately, since on one has changed their shipping policy and no longer offers free shipping on the 2 tires, she has been trying to convince me to go in on the deal with her and get a set for myself. i'm still trying to figure out what i want to do.

This is a quick late night photoshop mockup of our bikes with the tires. The blue one Represents her pug with the whites

And my bullseye monster with the greens. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i'm so confused now.....no more free shipping on ANY floaters? Dirtdawg, maybe you can do a test again.
    fap

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    i'm so confused now.....no more free shipping on ANY floaters? Dirtdawg, maybe you can do a test again.
    This morning:
    But who knows what it will be when you order...

9:zero:7
    In my opinion orange would give you a good contrast on the green Monster.
    Only the dead fish swims with the current!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So - currently - at the On-One site, for On-One 120 TPI folding Floater, International Shipping (United States selected), no VAT:

Black & colours, excepting pink
    • two tires 91.65 GBP, ~$154.61 USD, for ~$77.31 USD per tire.
    • four tires 133.32 GBP, ~224.91 USD, for ~$56.23 USD per tire, free shipping
    • six tires 259.98 GBP, ~438.59 USD, for ~$73.10 USD per tire.

Pink
    • two tires 66.65 GBP, ~$112.44 USD, for ~$56.22 USD per tire.
    • four tires 108.31 GBP ~$182.72 USD, for ~$45.68 USD per tire.
    • six tires 184.98 GBP ~$312.06 USD, for ~$52.01 USD per tire.

O.K.
    Weird.
    3 white tires - 24.99 GBP shipping.
    4 white tires - free shipping.
    4 green tires - free shipping.
    4 white tires & 4 green tires, 60.00 GBP shipping.
    2 white tires & 2 green tires, free shipping.
    2 white, 2 green & 2 orange, 60.00 GBP shipping.

Best guess: over 100 GBP = free shipping, until a size or weight factor kicks shipping back in (in this case five or more tires).
    I am getting that, too. Odd.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am getting that, too. Odd.
    I'm also thinking that with all the different browsing platforms, takes them awhile to get it right across them all.

But the way they've got it setup, if someone wants six tires, it's cheaper to order four with free shipping, then a separate order for two paying 24.99 GBP for shipping. Otherwise it's 60.00 GBP shipping on a three pair order...

I'm also thinking that with all the different browsing platforms, takes them awhile to get it right across them all.

But the way they've got it setup, if someone wants six tires, it's cheaper to order four with free shipping, then a separate order for two paying 24.99 GBP for shipping. Otherwise it's 60.00 GBP shipping on a three pair order...
    The browser type should not matter.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The browser type should not matter.
    It doesn't matter in that it should be the same, but it depends on how their pages are constructed. Look at the different results you were getting vs. what I was getting, with the delay until you were seeing what I was seeing.
    Then there's what version of firefox vs. explorer, mobile, etc.. They should be testing across a wide range of browser standards before rolling updates out.
    When their site stopped displaying inventory for coloured floaters, I hadn't updated my browser, etc. (I run behind the leading edge, for stability). They said the inventory worked fine for them, they were still getting sales, so they weren't concerned. Then it suddenly started working again a short while ago. All of the changing little glitches, along with continuing changing functionality following an update, suggests their rollout procedure needs some improvement, or they might even be doing most of it adhoc.

It doesn't matter in that it should be the same, but it depends on how their pages are constructed. Look at the different results you were getting vs. what I was getting, with the delay until you were seeing what I was seeing.
    Then there's what version of firefox vs. explorer, mobile, etc.. They should be testing across a wide range of browser standards before rolling updates out.
    When their site stopped displaying inventory for coloured floaters, I hadn't updated my browser, etc. (I run behind the leading edge, for stability). They said the inventory worked fine for them, they were still getting sales, so they weren't concerned. Then it suddenly started working again a short while ago. All of the changing little glitches, along with continuing changing functionality following an update, suggests their rollout procedure needs some improvement, or they might even be doing most of it adhoc.
    I never had just four tires in the cart and may have used tires with different prices. That is product selection variations, not browser related.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Colored On One Floaters

Unless the site is very poorly designed, business logic related to shipping will be on server side, not client side - browser *should* not matter

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ionofchios View Post
    ... browser *should* not matter
    yup
    Yet this summer for a long number of weeks, after having been functional before, their "view all availability" would only display "sold out", with none of the usual boxes for colour choice, etc.. They just stopped displaying on my system. Their customer service confirmed that they saw them all, sold out except for green and pink, and that they were able to see these and users were still placing orders, so it obviously was working for some. They passed it up the line while they recommended that I change the browser that I used. Eventually (weeks) something they changed fixed it, be it an intentional fix or a side effect, and the information was displayed again (now a colour can be sold out and the boxes still display and are functional).
    So with the site having a history of issues, when I see signs of ad hoc rollouts, getting different results over a number of days, even within the same day, it doesn't instill confidence as to site stability and reliability. So with people reporting varying results...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Colored On One Floaters

Yep, sounds like some features are a bit iffy, design-wise.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can't prove this, but the feel I get for those two sites is one where management won't fund a more robust testing/upgrade/rollout procedure, nor the time for it, as the techs have worked their butts off to perform minor miracles so often that management doesn't see the need, as the techs manage to keep them running.

That for some products, or the site entire, some customers get ticked and go elsewhere, doesn't make it to management's desk.

They had a great run of floaters, and are restocking, but with the new shipping costs, they're no longer the obvious good/best value for the money. If the market won't support floater sales with those shipping costs, they'll likely attribute it to end-of-season.

Of course we don't know how much of their business is "international" either, so those numbers may not be important to the company.

mtbr member
    I ordered a set of green floaters from the UK store, shipped to the US for about $142 USD including shipping just last week. The Planet X web site showed none in stock, so I just ordered from the US site. I've seen them cheaper at 65 bucks or so, but a few extra dollars wasn't going to stop me from living my dream! lol.

Loser
    Long-ish term review:

I've had the orange Floaters on my Fatboy for about 300 miles of riding. All in technical, rooty and rocky terrain. They are wearing about how most good mountain bike tires wear around here. They definitely don't look new anymore (these pictures are all of the rear tire - the front looks about the same on the sidewall with less tread wear):

You can see the kind of beating the sidewalls have taken (some Stans ooze):

More sidewall:

The sidewalls show some cracking in places, but no Stan's oozing or anything, I'm assuming this is just superficial and by the time it's more than that the tread will be worn out. I'm thinking I'll get one summer season out of these - summer being from April to December, and that's ok by me.

hmmm. i guess i'm not terribly concerned (recently ordered the white ones) because most of my riding with be snow, with occasional dirt rides. but hey, they arent super pricy, so if i only ever get them once, it's not the end of the world. I ride a lot tho, between 2000-3000 miles a year, but not all on fat bike.
    fap

Loser
    That's about the mileage I do as well, but it's spread between the fat, regular mountain and road bikes. I guess I'll do about 5-600 miles on the fat bike this year, based on my mileage to date.

so my sexy white tires have arrived. Decided to take a clean pic before i run over dog poop and hobos in my local park.

Colored On One Floaters-10592699_10154496293660271_5940332883528445818_n.jpgColored On One Floaters-10479730_10154496293665271_1110899875388317999_n.jpg
    fap

Hooligan
    ^obviously my green ones came in too, but nicole was excited so we outfitted her bike first. i like the way it turned out.
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Hooligan

Got em mounted up. First impression is that this is a great tire! Well done shiggy.

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Hi Fellow Fatty Friends!
    I've been pondering upon getting the white 4.0 tires to put on my Rolling Fatty. The On-One website is selling two types of White Fat Tires.....1) The On-One Floater and 2) The Vee Rubber Mission. My Fat Biking consists mainly of NYC Bicycle Paths and NYC streets. There are some parks around that I ride thru occasionally, but the bulk of my rides are on concrete and asphalt. Which of the two tread designs would you suggest for this type of riding? And, when the snow hits NYC this winter, I will be Fat Bike commuting thru that stuff too. Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
    Once You Go Fat.....You'll Never Go Back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am still debating on if I am manly enough to rock the pink ones. That is one heck of a deal for those tires. I have a pink shirt (Save the TATAs)...

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Sexton View Post
    Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
    The Floaters are a fairly aggressive tire, they will wear quickly and provide a lot of rolling resistance on asphalt surfaces. The Missions are far less aggressive, but exhibit bad self-steer tendencies. I never rode them pumped up higher than 8 PSI or so, maybe at higher PSI they wouldn't be as bad. I think I would find a different low profile tire than the Mission - there are plenty out there. I don't think you want to ride a great snow tire for the 10 months of the year you're riding on asphalt.

Hooligan
    I have a set of the missions, they came stock on my bike. I like them a lot for dirt and pavement. Low rolling resistance. I guess I just got use to the self steer, because I remember feeling it when I first started riding, but after the first week I stopped noticing it. I figured it was just a fat bike thing. I would say go for those if youre gona stick to bike paths, but I don't think they would do so well in the snow. Are they cheaper than the floaters? Thats always a factor for me too.

Hi Fellow Fatty Friends!
    I've been pondering upon getting the white 4.0 tires to put on my Rolling Fatty. The On-One website is selling two types of White Fat Tires.....1) The On-One Floater and 2) The Vee Rubber Mission. My Fat Biking consists mainly of NYC Bicycle Paths and NYC streets. There are some parks around that I ride thru occasionally, but the bulk of my rides are on concrete and asphalt. Which of the two tread designs would you suggest for this type of riding? And, when the snow hits NYC this winter, I will be Fat Bike commuting thru that stuff too. Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
    i was about to say get the missions, but they might be suicide on icy streets. i found the fat bike on any type of ice if not studded, will land you on your ass. the big wide footprint doesnt "dig" into the ice at all, and the colored squeaky rubber will probably even do worse.

they are pretty cheap, if you could feasibly get both, then i'd say do it! Otherwise, you may rub those knobs right off if you do lots of pavement. i did a real long ride on pavement on my Nates, and holy hell, if you can avoid that type of rolling resistance, you will be happy. Unless the vibrations of the knobs give you a special thrill.

ps. in slush and snow, aggressive is good!
    fap

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Thanks Guys for the responses!

Aggressiveness and Low Rolling Resistance. Those seem to be the action words in determining the type of tire that's going to fit the ride. So now I'm thinking - "What if I get one of each? What if I put a White Vee Mission on the front and the white On-One on the back?" My Fatty is currently rolling on Innova Spider Treads. I've seen posts in other Fat Bike threads referring to the Spiders as "Slicks". I'm only 3 months into Fat Biking, so I really don't know the difference yet. But some white 4" tires would certainly enhance the look of my crazy Fat Bike!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...For these coloured folding floaters...
    Bad news. As someone in another thread pointed out, shipping has gone up again.
    Four tires are now charged 40 GBP shipping. Even a single tire has a shipping charge of 40 GBP.

Hooligan
    Thanks Guys for the responses!

Aggressiveness and Low Rolling Resistance. Those seem to be the action words in determining the type of tire that's going to fit the ride. So now I'm thinking - "What if I get one of each? What if I put a White Vee Mission on the front and the white On-One on the back?" My Fatty is currently rolling on Innova Spider Treads. I've seen posts in other Fat Bike threads referring to the Spiders as "Slicks". I'm only 3 months into Fat Biking, so I really don't know the difference yet. But some white 4" tires would certainly enhance the look of my crazy Fat Bike!
    if youve already got slicks then you could just go for the floaters, that way you have a set of each and can swap them out as you see fit.
    one of each isnt a bad idea either. personally i think i would run the mission on the back and the floater on the front, but that's my personal preference and you should do whatever feels best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I wouldn't run the Floaters on the street unless wearing a good set of headphones to block sound. Those Mother truckers are loud!

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I wouldn't run the Floaters on the street unless wearing a good set of headphones to block sound. Those Mother truckers are loud!
    and slow. on pavement the noise doesnt bother me nearly as much as the effort required to move the bike does.
    thats why i suggested the floater up front, less weight on the knobby tire makes the bike roll much better. that and i would rather have the traction up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I wish the price on the pink ones was cheaper at the planet-x USA site like in the UK. With the shipping charges it makes it just as cheap to buy from the USA and then all the colors are the same price (and I only want the pink ones because they are so cheap - they dropped the price today on the pink again...).

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    I wish the price on the pink ones was cheaper at the planet-x USA site like in the UK. With the shipping charges it makes it just as cheap to buy from the USA and then all the colors are the same price (and I only want the pink ones because they are so cheap - they dropped the price today on the pink again...).
    I hear ya man. Nicole and I just finished dodging the shipping charge, its a pain.
    on the bright side, now have a set of green tires. if we didnt have to order 4 of them in order to get free shipping i probably would have sprung for nates.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was all set to order four of them to get the free shipping. Shipping charge = $66.30. Ouch. On a plus note the pink tires now = $34.54 each...
    $204 for four of them. Not sure I need four pink tires though... I know my son would never use them, LOL. $50 each vs. the $64 each from the USA supplier but then I have to get four.

Hooligan
    Maybe you could sell them on fat bike trader or something. With the price that low it should be easy to make your money back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Dang it. I had 4 tires in my cart a couple days ago, just had not pulled the trigger. Now with shipping charges, I will probably pass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
    ...Now with shipping charges, I will probably pass.
    If you pass, make sure you give them feedback why you decided to pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    The Floaters are a fairly aggressive tire, they will wear quickly and provide a lot of rolling resistance on asphalt surfaces. The Missions are far less aggressive, but exhibit bad self-steer tendencies.
    High rolling resistance applies to new Floater tires only. Once they wear, and they do quickly (especially on gravel roads and tarmac), rolling resistance and sound emission decrease a lot.

On the contrary self-steer tendencies increase quite substantially. Due to wear the tires profile changes from a 'full' knobby profile to one with a smoother ridge down the center of the tread, with bigger knobs remaining on the sides. Cornering on hard-packed surfaces becomes a rather surprising experience.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think their site is on drugs.
    White On-One Floaters.
    United States.

1, 2 or 3 tire(s), shipping is 39.99 GBP
    4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP
    5 to 10 tires, shipping is 60 GBP
    11 to 18 tires, shipping is 145 GBP

same for 2 green with 2 white, 4 tires, shipping 29.99 GBP

2 white, 1 green & 1 black, shipping is 60 GBP

sigh

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post

Got em mounted up. First impression is that this is a great tire! Well done shiggy.
    Now THAT is a green bike

Hooligan

I think their site is on drugs.
    White On-One Floaters.
    United States.

1, 2 or 3 tire(s), shipping is 39.99 GBP
    4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP
    5 to 10 tires, shipping is 60 GBP
    11 to 18 tires, shipping is 145 GBP

same for 2 green with 2 white, 4 tires, shipping 29.99 GBP

2 white, 1 green & 1 black, shipping is 60 GBP

sigh
    Thats lame. Im glad that I got mine when I did. Sound like I narrowly dodged the 4 tire shipping charge.

mtbr member
    Thats lame. Im glad that I got mine when I did. Sound like I narrowly dodged the 4 tire shipping charge.
    I'm keen to order a pair of these coloured tires for my moonie but shipping to Oz will cost more than the tires.. Does anyone have a current coupon code or know the cheapest way to buy them?

mtbr member
    May 2011

I bought 6 of these bad boys when they were selling for 50 bucks a piece and got free shipping on all of them. Now I'm all set for summer tires for the next two years at least.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Great song selection!!

Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Pumpkin Pugs on a detour home from work today

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aF7oVfVrVqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Perfect song for this video!!!

NYC Rollin Fattyz

Hows The White Floaters Holding Up?

My wife said I can buy a new set of tires for my Matte Black Fatty, and I have been interested in the White Floaters ever since seeing the pics you posted below. My wife suggests that I get the Green Floaters instead because she thinks the White ones will always look too "dirty" or look Gray instead of White. It's been a while since you first posted the pics below and I'm curious to how your White Floaters are holding up and looking these days.

Bike isn't finished yet, but I got these bad boys mounted up. Letting them stretch out at 30psi. They are on the big side for a 4" tire, they look about as big as BFL on Rolling Darryls.

mtbr member
    80's BMX lives!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Colored On One Floaters

My wife said I can buy a new set of tires for my Matte Black Fatty, and I have been interested in the White Floaters ever since seeing the pics you posted below. My wife suggests that I get the Green Floaters instead because she thinks the White ones will always look too "dirty" or look Gray instead of White. It's been a while since you first posted the pics below and I'm curious to how your White Floaters are holding up and looking these days.
    They take on the color of the earth. In my case they went from white, to cream. I like the cream color better than the bright white, anyway, looks classier.

Green ones will also get dirty. Get the color that you want. The dirt only makes them look better.

Also, thanks for reminding me to never get married.

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    Thanks for your insights! Since I'm riding my Fatty on the mean streets of NYC, then I can assume the White Floaters will take on the color of the Asphalt.....that might not be a "bad" thing at all. Although I do like my wife's idea of rolling on Green Floaters, I'm still stuck on the White ones and your Fatty is looking quite lovely in these latest pics! I think I am ready to place my order! Many thanks to you!!

They take on the color of the earth. In my case they went from white, to cream. I like the cream color better than the bright white, anyway, looks classier.

Green ones will also get dirty. Get the color that you want. The dirt only makes them look better.

Also, thanks for reminding me to never get married.

Hooligan

I'm loving my green ones, yes they have gotten a bit dirty, but I've been trying to keep them in the snow for the most part.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    I'm loving my green ones, yes they have gotten a bit dirty, but I've been trying to keep them in the snow for the most part.
    Thanks dirtdawg for your response. I photoshopped my Fatty with both Green and White Tires and have still yet to come to a decision....consequently, I've missed out on getting either of the tires at the $57 price point. Now I'm thinking about getting one White Tire and one Green Tire and leaving it at that. Shall I get one Floater tire and one Mission tire? And which tire to mount on the front and on the back?

...one of each isnt a bad idea either. personally i think i would run the mission on the back and the floater on the front, but that's my personal preference and you should do whatever feels best.
    The Floater on the front and the Mission on the back. Been thinking about that too. Any personal insight you could share about using that set up? My Fatty is a 7-Speed with a MegaRange. My biking is mostly concrete riding with some off-road trail riding occasionally, limited snow and beach riding. Once again, your insights are quite helpful. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So uh...are black floaters coming back in stock anytime soon? Or am I just not seeing them?

Hooligan

Thanks dirtdawg... The Floater on the front and the Mission on the back. Been thinking about that too. Any personal insight you could share about using that set up? ... Once again, your insights are quite helpful. Thanks again!
    No problem!
    I sugested the mission rear because I personally like having more bite in the front. It also allows me to more easily drift the rear tire in the loose stuff. That's my personal handling preference.
    It has advantages From a folling resistance standpoint too, The Rear tire bears 75% of the weight, so running a Smooth tire there will make the bike roll a lot better. An agressive tire in the front will impact the overall resistance a lot less than it will in the rear, and since its bearing less weight the knobby tread will last a lot longer too.

mtbr member
    Black Floaters at Planet-X USA $55 and free shipping

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    No problem!
    I suggested the mission rear because I personally like having more bite in the front. It also allows me to more easily drift the rear tire in the loose stuff. That's my personal handling preference.
    It has advantages From a rolling resistance standpoint too, The Rear tire bears 75% of the weight, so running a Smooth tire there will make the bike roll a lot better. An aggressive tire in the front will impact the overall resistance a lot less than it will in the rear, and since its bearing less weight the knobby tread will last a lot longer too.
    Thank you once again for your insights! I also read some of your earlier posts about Fat Tires on another thread and your's and the other's posts were very informative. I have taken your suggestions here, pondered over them thru the night and this morning I ordered a pair of colored tires from the On One website. I decided to go with 1 White Vee Mission tire and 1 Green On One Floater tire. The Floater will be mounted up front and the Vee Mission will be mounted on back. Pics will soon follow. Many thanks to you for this!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Black Floaters at Planet-X USA $55 and free shipping
    When you see **CURRENTLY ON ORDER. AT THIS PRICE THEY ARE FLYING OFF THE SHELF! PLACE YOUR ORDER TODAY!!!!**....it means they are out of stock.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

Hooligan

Colored On One Floaters

Thank you once again for your insights! I also read some of your earlier posts about Fat Tires on another thread and your's and the other's posts were very informative. I have taken your suggestions here, pondered over them thru the night and this morning I ordered a pair of colored tires from the On One website. I decided to go with 1 White Vee Mission tire and 1 Green On One Floater tire. The Floater will be mounted up front and the Vee Mission will be mounted on back. Pics will soon follow. Many thanks to you for this!
    You're welcome. I look forward to seeing how your bike looks with its new tires. I've been having a lot of fun with mine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    When you see **CURRENTLY ON ORDER. AT THIS PRICE THEY ARE FLYING OFF THE SHELF! PLACE YOUR ORDER TODAY!!!!**....it means they are out of stock.
    36 were "in stock" last night when I posted.

Quantity in Stock:30

Availability: Ships from UK warehouse. Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.

NYC Rollin Fattyz

Quick Delivery!

Holy Fat Wow! On One does not play around with their delivery! I ordered my tires yesterday morning and they showed up by DHL this morning. I did not pay for overnight delivery to NYC from the U.K. either. Now, I got to mount theses massive bad boys!

Colored On One Floaters-20150113_125828.jpg

mtbr member
    They have a place in the states aswell

Give it death

Hooligan

Holy Fat Wow! On One does not play around with their delivery! I ordered my tires yesterday morning and they showed up by DHL this morning. I did not pay for overnight delivery to NYC from the U.K. either. Now, I got to mount theses massive bad boys!

Name:	20150113_125828.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	955226
    Wow, that's amazing! And the mission really looks sweet in white.

NYC Rollin Fattyz

The Deed Is Done

Just left the Bike Shop and the Fatty looks better than I had imagined it would. While riding, the steering feels a little "stiff". I guess it's time to experiment around with the air pressure!
    Thanks again dirtdawg!

Colored On One Floaters-20150115_114118.jpg
    Colored On One Floaters-20150115_114101.jpg
    Colored On One Floaters-20150115_114132.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh I really like the green ones. :-)

Hooligan
    Just left the Bike Shop and the Fatty looks better than I had imagined it would. While riding, the steering feels a little "stiff". I guess it's time to experiment around with the air pressure!
    Thanks again dirtdawg!

Name:	20150115_114118.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	955854

Name:	20150115_114101.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	955856

Name:	20150115_114132.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	955855
    Awesome!
    What's the story behind your bike? i thought Surface604 stuff was electric.

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    What's the story behind your bike? i thought Surface604 stuff was electric.
    Yeah, Surface 604 sells their electric fatty for $2500 and they sell it non-electric for $1000. I was on eBay getting ready to hit the Buy Now button on a Framed Minnesota 1.0 when I came across an auction for this Matte Black Wide Grip Fat Bike with Built-In Rear Rack. There was 20 minutes left and 0 bids at $499.00. I waited until the final 2 minutes to make my move, expecting a bidding war to break out. I bid $499 and nothing happened. I was the sole bidder. I won.

Hooligan

Yeah, Surface 604 sells their electric fatty for $2500 and they sell it non-electric for $1000. I was on eBay getting ready to hit the Buy Now button on a Framed Minnesota 1.0 when I came across an auction for this Matte Black Wide Grip Fat Bike with Built-In Rear Rack. There was 20 minutes left and 0 bids at $499.00. I waited until the final 2 minutes to make my move, expecting a bidding war to break out. I bid $499 and nothing happened. I was the sole bidder. I won.
    That's awesome!

Hooligan
    ok, so i have probably 50 miles on my tires now, and after a pretty hard ride yesterday, it seems that both tires are developing lumps. the rear one is so out of round that its rubbing severely on my chainstay.
    i knocked the rims out of true a bit, but mot nearly bad enough to cause this kind of disturbance. both tires appear to be seated ok but i will pull them appart and take a closer look tonight.
    anybody else having problems like this?
    Last edited by dirtdawg21892; 01-19-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Hooligan

Colored On One Floaters

So after getting the tires off, it looks like my casings are junk. . I hope on one will make it right.

mtbr member
    that's disappointing...I was about to order a set.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

NYC Rollin Fattyz
    So after getting the tires off, it looks like my casings are junk. . I hope on one will make it right.
    Whoa! That happened to your tires after about 50 miles of riding? I'm going to hit my 50 mile mark probably sometime next week. Did a good 19 miles on the tires today. Took on some concrete and asphalt streets, some pot holes, a couple of curbs and some significantly broken up sidewalks. The tires ran smoothly. I compared my ride data with my previous Innova Spider Tread Tires ride data and didn't see a decrease in my average speeds. And I did not experience any Ghost Steering with that On-One Floater up front. So, so far so fat and so fun!

Hooligan

Whoa! That happened to your tires after about 50 miles of riding? I'm going to hit my 50 mile mark probably sometime next week. Did a good 19 miles on the tires today. Took on some concrete and asphalt streets, some pot holes, a couple of curbs and some significantly broken up sidewalks. The tires ran smoothly. I compared my ride data with my previous Innova Spider Tread Tires ride data and didn't see a decrease in my average speeds. And I did not experience any Ghost Steering with that On-One Floater up front. So, so far so fat and so fun!
    Its only happening to the green ones. The whites have a lot more miles and are still running round. I went on a pretty big ride with them on Saturday and about 2/3 through the ride i noticed the front tire had a huge wobble. the tire was still seated pretty straight but i had knocked the rim out of alignment slightly. nothing even close to how bad the tire was moving though. checked the rear and it was doing it too. by the end of the ride the rear was so bad that it was rubbing the stays on the non-drive side. I filled out on one's little 'contact us' form, but I can't remember my order number. Just waiting on them to get back to me.

yeah, my white tires are still rolling good. I, however, am a much more gentle rider than Riley But it's not like he's huge. we ride the same trails together. i've wrecked the sidewalls (warped) of a conti tire before, but that was from a crash. it kind of reminds me of whats going on here.
    fap

mtbr member
    ok, so i have probably 50 miles on my tires now, and after a pretty hard ride yesterday, it seems that both tires are developing lumps. the rear one is so out of round that its rubbing severely on my chainstay.
    i knocked the rims out of true a bit, but mot nearly bad enough to cause this kind of disturbance. both tires appear to be seated ok but i will pull them appart and take a closer look tonight.
    anybody else having problems like this?
    I have a set of the orange ones. No "lumpy" issues but I think the colored rubber is lacking some of the preservatives they can use in black rubber. I have about 100 miles on mine and the side walls are cracking. My black floaters with 1000 miles on them have sidewalls in better shape even though they are bald.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Colored On One Floaters

Anyone notice a difference in bead "diameter" ( for lack of technical term) between the colored/orange vs. black floaters. My orange ones seem tighter and are proving a ***** to seat evenly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I just got a set of the Orange ones and they are currently on my Cogburn Camo! So far so good and they look 😎

Hooligan
    Sent 2 emails and I'm Still waiting for them to get back to me. I hope they respond Monday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Dirdtdaw I think I have the US reps email address, he got in touch with me first thing Monday morning when I had some questions, I'll try to dig it up but I know he was a Mike as well.

michael@planet-x-usa.com

Hooligan

Quote Originally Posted by momikey View Post
    Dirdtdaw I think I have the US reps email address, he got in touch with me first thing Monday morning when I had some questions, I'll try to dig it up but I know he was a Mike as well.

michael@planet-x-usa.com
    Thanks! Ill give that a shot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Here's a question for you Floater guys.

Today I took off my studded Floater and put on a brand new un studded Floater. Both are orange, and both were set up tubeless using the split tube method on a Rolling Darryl rim.

I noticed one spot on the new tire where the bead seemed to dip down a bit, like it wasn't quite seated all the way, even though it was holding air fine.

I let some air out and tried to massage the bead out a bit, but it wasn't moving. So I decided to take my chances and began upping my PSI to see if I could get it to move. My gauge is a bit sketchy around 20 PSI so I can't say for sure what pressure I was at, but it was getting up there. I know that's not advisable, but I thought it was worth a try.

I bead didn't do anything, and so I let the air down before I blew the tire off the rim or something.

My question is, now I've noticed some weird faint striping all along the casing of the tire. I can take my hand and rub them off and it just feels like rubber. There's a chance this could have just been from the tire being new and I didn't notice it right away, but I'm wondering if when I pumped it up it could have done something to the casing.

Here's a pic, but it's kind of hard to tell. The tire seems to be holding air just fine, and I rode it around the garage for a minute without issue.

Big ride tomorrow and I don't want to run into problems!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colored On One Floaters-20150124_205157.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Take spare tubes with you...

I maybe missing it, but what sealant did you use?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Stans. I always carry a tube as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    (and a rag)

Speculating:
    Side wall seepage?
    Aided by 20 PSI?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That's what I was thinking it could be as well. Structurally do you think this will be an issue?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sorry, I have no idea. A recent post elsewhere warned that the PSI rating of a tire is for a tube within a tire. Such a tire running tubeless shouldn't be inflated to that max PSI, but much less (I forget the guideline). I believe the tire with tube is 30 PSI max? I'd guess that 20 PSI isn't too high to fail it, but it doesn't surprise me either if there's some seepage.

I'd say you're the guinea pig in this endeavour.

Do post back what (hopefully doesn't) unfold.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Colored On One Floaters

I have regularly had to pump both my black and orange floaters up to like 40psi just to seat the beads properly. Once seated backed pressure down with no ill effects.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have regularly had to pump both my black and orange floaters up to like 40psi just to seat the beads properly. Once seated backed pressure down with no ill effects.
    Same here, 12-24 hours at 30psi to get the sidewall nice and round. I also let the tire sit on like a wall mounted garden house mount overnight because they are folded so much in the box.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    But with a tube inside or tubeless?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Colored On One Floaters

Both. But I've noticed less psi was required when tubeless. I think there's a factor in the thickness and pliability when using tubes for the tube to be able to 'push' the tires into the bead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I went on a ride today and didn't have any issues. Guess I'm good to go...

Never did get the bead to seat all the way in that one spot, but I also know I flat spotted my rim there so it could be due to that.

mtbr member
    This thread is confusing and the On One site seems to have contradictory info regarding the black vs colored Floaters.

The site calls the coloured ones "lightweight" and the black "folding" but earlier in the thread people said the coloured ones had thicker sidewalls/casings and weighed more.

As for shipping, for shipping to Toronto, Canada, the shipping cost is double for black vs coloured. Makes no sense whatsoever if they are the same weight or if the black ones are in fact lighter.

I just took all the tires out of my basket, and the shipping price increased....how is that possible?

Has anyone else weighed their Floaters recently?

Here's the links:

Coloured:
    On-One Floater 120TPI Folding Tyre | On - One

On-One's definitive fat tyre is now available in a eye catching array of colours: pink, green, white and orange

4.0" width
    Weight 1670g
    8-20 PSI
    Great on rims from 55-90mm wide

The On-One Floater is back and brighter than ever! Now available in eyecatching orange, green, white and pink, your fat bike will stand out even more in the snow, on the trails or on the beach. With a tried and tested tread pattern from the original Floater, the new batch have the same great traction under steering, braking and acceleration with a high-quality 120 TPI casing underneath.

4.0" width
    Weight 1800g
    8-20 PSI
    Great on rims from 55-90mm wide

Black:
    On-One Floater Fat Tyre | On - One

On-One's trail ready, all terrain capable Fat tyre. It's here!
    Designed by legendary tyre fanatic "Shiggy" Person from the USA, in conjunction with "Shaggy" Ross from the UK, our Floater tyre redefines trail traction and performance.

High quality 120tpi casing and perfectly placed knobs and blocks give killer traction under steering, braking and acceleration. Weight: 1800g

This model is fitted as standard to our Fatty bike, and now available for everyone to buy and fit whatever model you're riding.

It's a 4.0in carcass size, and runs great on rims from 55-90mm.

Thanks
    Last edited by Swerny; 01-26-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have a look here. Never know about price/shipping differences.
    On-One Floater Fat Tire
    On-One COLORED Floater Fat Tire

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have a set of blacks and a set of whites. I didn't weigh them separately but I would agree with the post above. The blacks are definitely lighter and stretch easier. When I say that I mean if I get onto one bike with the whites and then the next bike (with blacks), and this is same model bike and same PSI. The blacks compress easier,I like to have a low psi in the snow 5-8PSI depending on the conditions. I have gotten on the bike with white tires at 5PSI and the rear tire mushrooms where it meets the ground. I then get on the black tires and they almost wrinkle at that lo PSI(if that makes any sense). Looks like a rear tire of a dragster at take off! So yea blacks are lighter and softer, the weights also had a yellow inner carcass that probably weighs a little.

mtbr member
    OK, thanks guys.

So assuming the black tires weigh less than the coloured ones, the shipping rates from On One UK or Planet X UK still make no sense.

I can order a ton of stuff including a pair of coloured floaters, a 29 wheelset, studded tires, a carbon fork, clothes, helmet etc for $50 USD shipping.

The minute i put black Floaters in the box, the rate doubles.

Heck, shipping 2 black Floaters alone costs $100.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Which is why I gave you the USA web site to have a look at.

mtbr member
    Just got my black pair Monday, 1390 and 1410grams. I was able to order from the US planetx site, now they are out of stock (sorry). So it was 110 shipped for the pair.

Very happy with everything so far.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast