Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cogburn Outdoors CB4 Hunting Fat Bike

QBP in the hunt with new outdoor brand | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Methinks they are either on something or onto something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    Methinks they are either on something or onto something.
    +1 - I think a little of both.

I'm looking forward to seeing Special Ed's Epic Slaughter line of hunting specific fatbikes that is sure to be released in 2015.

Hopefully they'll also come out with a line of camo fatbike tires at a reasonable pricepoint!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Cogburn

Cogburn on Rumor

(I'm just linking to those to show other pics/add'tl info for anyone interested, not being snooty)
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I missed it the first go 'round too, so thanks for bringing it back up. It looks like a fairly nice fat bike. definitely way better than the "hunting bike" from Fat Sand Cruisers.

I don't know if limiting the market to Scheel's is a good Idea. I haven't even heard of the place, but then I'm no hunter.

I think they should make this frame design part of the Surly, or Salsa lineup, or maybe the whole bike. I like the bent top tube and the blacked out components, but could do without the camo paint job, at least not the normal green jungle/forest camo. I would go for a brighter color camo pattern, maybe the blue camo, or the purple/white/black, or even an orange/yellow camo.

they should have used holy rolling darryls and had camo rim strips to go with them.

It'd be cool if they could go a step further on the blacked out components, and have a black cassette, chain, and brake discs. A black oxided steel brake disc would be very cool, or you could go carbon ceramic. Who makes a black MTB cassette, though?

mtbr member
    May 2010

So it's designed to go into the woods so you can kill something. But how do you get the dead body out of the woods? Do they make a trailer for it?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    So it's designed to go into the woods so you can kill something. But how do you get the dead body out of the woods? Do they make a trailer for it?
    Kinda what I was thinking. My old man inquired about using a fat bike for crow hunting - yes that's a thing, and the season duration is enormous.

Basically it's legal to hunt in ditches, crows are smart, crows can remember the sight of his car, crows have decent hearing, and walking a long distance to cover car noise takes a long time. No bodies to carry, foxes eat 'em. His regular bike wouldn't do the job in some of the rural roads that have become sandy.

I found it funny that he's in the exact position where hunting by fat bike makes perfect sense but he's too much of a cheapskate despite being able to afford one. His loss.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    These will never take off until someone writes about one in a country song. Let's see, what rhymes with "Cogburn"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Limiting the market to Scheel's initially was weird, I've never heard of them here in Pennsyltucky, but they did say just at first it'd be for Scheel's... would be good if Cabela's picked it up.

QBP should make a camo'd out Bill or Ted trailer for hauling a deer out
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I'd assume it's in the works...they just released a new hitch system for the trailers...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Limiting the market to Scheel's initially was weird, I've never heard of them here in Pennsyltucky, but they did say just at first it'd be for Scheel's... would be good if Cabela's picked it up.

QBP should make a camo'd out Bill or Ted trailer for hauling a deer out
    I thought the exclusive to Scheels was interesting as well, but remember- Scheels, (A Mid-West based sporting goods big-box store chain), is watching this market of fat bikes and with a close eye, and I think they can see how it might work for hunters.

Anecdotal to this discussion, just last week I was stopped by a guy in his 4X4 who wanted to know where he could get a fat bike like the one I was riding because he "thought it would be good for hunting." So, maybe Cogburn is "on something", or not, but apparently at least one hunter is thinking along these lines.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Waiting for the anti-hunter hissy fit to hit this thread, getting the popcorn ready.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I almost went on a rant about crow hunting, but I figured it was not a proper time
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I almost went on a rant about crow hunting, but I figured it was not a proper time
    Believe me I've heard all kinds of reactions. It was an interesting learning experience during my teenage years, learned all sorts of stuff about interacting with very angry people on a Sunday morning.

Incidentally, The Quiet Shotgun
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    I can see a lot of ice fishermen buying this thing- Riding on the lake I've been stopped by a couple ice fishermen who wanted to know "What the hell is that thing" followed by "That would be amazing for setting jigs and hauling gear!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    "That would be amazing for setting jigs and hauling gear!"
    Maybe QBP will release a ski variant of their cargo trailers?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Re: Cogburn Outdoors CB4 Hunting Fat Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I thought the exclusive to Scheels was interesting as well, but remember- Scheels, (A Mid-West based sporting goods big-box store chain), is watching this market of fat bikes and with a close eye, and I think they can see how it might work for hunters.
    Does anyone else out there have a Scheels with fat bikes? My local one carries Salsa and has the Mukluks. I am also only 80 miles south of QBP so that could have something to do with it compared to other Scheels locations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Utah Scheels carries Salsa Mukluk's. I can't imagine the redneck reaction to the big tires based on all the over-compensated pickup trucks with big tires rolling around here. One thing you'll never hear a redneck say, "those tires is too big!"

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk-frm-Hell View Post
    Waiting for the anti-hunter hissy fit to hit this thread, getting the popcorn ready.
    Grow up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk-frm-Hell View Post
    I wont raise to the bait but that was something that irritated me about the way this bike is being marketing as a vegeterian and general anti-death mountain biking kinda guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Seems like a natural take off to me, wasn't there a thread a year or two ago about what uses, other than normal riding, people on here apply their fat bike to?

Shall be interesting to see what kind of 'attachments' are developed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    When I lived in Anchorage, it wasn't uncommon to hear of hunters who would use the pugsley (one of the few fatbikes at the time) with a Bob Trailer (with modified yoke) to hunt, as they could get further in than many ATV's options could. This is also how I know that the 70lb weight limit on the Bob Yak is more of a suggestion

mtbr member
    I like this...It's a great effort to get fat bikes into the hands of a new audience. Not all bikes can be spread to a whole new group of buyers like this and I hope other outdoor gear sellers take notice. We might end up with more cyclists because of the Cogburn.
    Duct tape makes you smarter.

mtbr member

I can't wait for the first pic of someone dragging a moose out of the woods with this thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Maybe QBP will release a ski variant of their cargo trailers?
    THese boys already have all the sleds they need- I'd love to see a couple of these things out on the lake next year instead of the 4 wheelers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pcrap View Post
    Grow up.
    I know you are but what 'em I, jeez have a sense of humour

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast