Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

30.5 measured?

Quote Originally Posted by pierre meux View Post
    OD = 30.5" ... Thanks BoogieMang.
    Was the 30.5 " OD arrived at by using a tape measure or adding the 622mm+....?

For instance, an ExiWolf 29" x 2.3" on Salsa gordo is 28.5" OD. 723.9mm OD. If you add the numbers it appears it should be 738mm (622mm + 116.84).

15-20mm will make a big difference in terms of clearance.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gravelrd View Post

For instance, an ExiWolf 29" x 2.3" on Salsa gordo is 28.5" OD. 723.9mm OD. If you add the numbers it appears it should be 738mm (622mm + 116.84).

thanks.
    Ya, have to wait and see actual results. The "2.3"" stamped of the side of a tire often doesn't measure exactly 2.3"... sometimes one brands 2.3 will fit and another's won't. Plus you don't know who or how they measured them. Have to take the tire size thing with a grain of salt 'till you get the goods in hand.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gravelrd View Post

thanks.
    Take the sideview picture at;
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...9plo2_1280.jpg

Open it in a photo program (I use gimp) and measure the # of pixels for the overall outside diameter of the rim at the lip (know deminsion is 633mm, NOT the 622 bead seat specificaiton which is not visible in the picture). Now measure the pixel count of the OD of the tire on same rim and do the math to get tire diameter in mm. I get 765mm (30.1") for knard, basically the exact same outside diameter as a big fat larry so any frame that can use a BFL should do fine with diameter of the knard. Very likely that whatever maximum size limit of the tire manufacturing machinery that limits diameter of BFL to 4.8" is also identically involved in limiting OD of the knard thus they are same OD.
    I also found a good front shot of the knard tire, scaled from pixel measurement of the 44mm headtube and measue the knard tread width as 81mm / 3.2" .

mtbr member
    May 2007

Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Take the sideview picture at;
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...9plo2_1280.jpg

Open it in a photo program (I use gimp) and measure the # of pixels for the overall outside diameter of the rim at the lip (know deminsion is 633mm, NOT the 622 bead seat specificaiton which is not visible in the picture). .......outside diameter as a big fat larry so any frame that can use a BFL should do fine with diameter of the knard. .....
    I also found a good front shot of the knard tire, scaled from pixel measurement of the 44mm headtube and measue the knard tread width as 81mm / 3.2" .
    Thanks for doing the work. Makes sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator
    Just added a video to my article here:

New Surly Krampus (Not a 29er, Not a Fat Bike – 29+) | Mountain Bike Review

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_3HHldATIno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anybody know what the seat tube diameter is? I can't tell from the photos. It would be nice to put a dropper post on it.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Anybody know what the seat tube diameter is? I can't tell from the photos. It would be nice to put a dropper post on it.
    If it is a typical Surly 27.2 ID tube, you can always run a KindShock post, they go down to 27.2. I haven't had any troubles with mine, an i7 remote version.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    they've got a line on special order IGH's, ultra-low torque ones with some weirdo cog offset that'll clear a nate on a centered 135mm frame, maybe a 73mm bb to avoid 100mm bb q-factor induced knee pains?
    that's all the "they say it can't be done" I can think of in one bike that's still a rigid. (as per Surly's MO)

could be a travel coupled bike, but that's hardly "can't be done" stuff...
    just realized, i was right about centered 135 and 73mm bb! LMAO!
    what do i win?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    At work right now so I'll check again when I get home, but my ALU Fatback (first generation) is too short for 30.5, as per the CS brace and the derailleur cable. So is my custom FB... as far as the tape mesure shows. I'll have to wait 'till I have a tire/rim in hand to mesure myself. 30.2 or 30.3 might barely fit, but 30.5 just doesn't look feasable for the shorter CS'd bikes. Might fit on the 907... they're quite a bit longer. It's all good! I like my short CS's. And I love my FB's just like they are. If the Krampus works out to be the cat's meow for certain purpose's, just have to go w/ a complete bike... and, like I said, curious to see how this new format evolves... the 50mm rim is spot-on for all around riding w/ a 3" tire (IMO), but a 65mm rim would bring those beads out closer to the width of the tread and increase it's floatation by leaps & bounds (all around dirt handling being the trade-off). I'm guessing we'll also see some ALU and TI offerings from other builders as well... FUN STUFF!
    Re-measured last night; On the Fatback I'll rub the derailleur arm and cable at 30" almost exactly; On my custom it will touch the CS brace and the cable at 30 1/4" so if it turns out that they're 30.1 they might fit on that one.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Re-measured last night; On the Fatback I'll rub the derailleur arm and cable at 30" almost exactly; On my custom it will touch the CS brace and the cable at 30 1/4" so if it turns out that they're 30.1 they might fit on that one.
    Always shop for bikes with the Fatties Fit Fine decal :-)

Oh well, another bike then!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Sup
    after looking at the numbers its almost like surly designed the bike around XX1

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    after looking at the numbers its almost like surly designed the bike around XX1

Sj
    Doesn't XX1 cost nearly the MSRP of a Krampus?...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Doesn't XX1 cost nearly the MSRP of a Krampus?...
    I reckon so.... Hopefully it'll trickle down and we'll see an X71 or X91 in the not too distant future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    don't take this to the bank or anything, but when I take my gazzi'd wheel out of the Niner's fork dropouts and slide it up the legs a couple inches, it looks like the tire will still clear.
    40mm rim.

Recovering couch patato
    don't take this to the bank or anything, but when I take my gazzi'd wheel out of the Niner's fork dropouts and slide it up the legs a couple inches, it looks like the tire will still clear.
    40mm rim.
    Surely you mean a steel fork? Not that the carbon should not fit, it might as well.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    I just blogged about the Krampus from a Scottish owners point of and use (want!) for this bike:

coastrider: Another new bike coming from Surly Pt2 - The Krampus 29+

Mentioned is the tyre clearance/ low gearing options needed for riding here in UK conditions, compatibility of 2x9 cranks/mech for builds from present bikes etc...

Feel free to pop over and leave your view, thanks
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    I just blogged about the Krampus from a Scottish owners point of and use (want!) for this bike:

coastrider: Another new bike coming from Surly Pt2 - The Krampus 29+

Mentioned is the tyre clearance/ low gearing options needed for riding here in UK conditions, compatibility of 2x9 cranks/mech for builds from present bikes etc...

Feel free to pop over and leave your view, thanks
    Changing crankset to a MWOD, or using a adjustable chainline Profile crankset with a wide spindle, or adapting a 148mm wide ISIS spindle to the 73mm shell could likely allow a Krampus owner to widen the crank chainline enough to get tire clearance for an inner 22T chainring and have a useable middle chainring 2X setup.

A Surly Maverick
    Or using a 83mm by 133mm long FSA ISIS BB and spacing it over if you need too ?

Did this on the Fat Klein and it allows granny ring with enough clearance for Larrys on Trailtec 47mm wide rims.

Should work fine with RH's and Knards
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Looks like a few options then for the crankset

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    can someone please merge this thread with the Surly Krampus thread in the 29er forum?? this is getting bothersome...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah delete the one in the 29er forum, this thread's been active since day one and is 17 pages long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    can someone please merge this thread with the Surly Krampus thread in the 29er forum?? this is getting bothersome...
    You mean there is a 29er forum?

If it going to be deleated...perhaps the least I/we can do is go and pay our respects?

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    You mean there is a 29er forum?

If it going to be deleated...perhaps the least I/we can do is go and pay our respects?
    I think the 29er forum should now be called the 29- forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    just convince Boogiemang to change the title of this thread to "The Official Surly Krampus Thread" and we're golden!

seriously though, nothing about the Krampus screams "29er" but everything about it screams "what fatbikers have been asking for as a summer bike for years now"

mtbr member
    Not all Fat bike fans and 29er fans cross over. Having 2 threads going makes more sense.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    just a thought. i am just so lazy i don't like checking both for updates...or pressing the shift key.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    just a thought. i am just so lazy i don't like checking both for updates...or pressing the shift key.
    That's a genuine problem there.

mtbr member
    ...seriously though, nothing about the Krampus screams "29er" but everything about it screams "what fatbikers have been asking for as a summer bike for years now"
    +1

Can't remember when I last looked at the 29er thread.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    CK

I know this is a little off topic, but as per your blog and your thoughts on XX1, are the XX1 style
    chainrings really required for operation? Yes I understand that chain rentention may suffer, but
    required? If nothing else, run a rear cog as a chainring, would take some work, but seems very
    doable? A 26T would give something like 77.0-18.7gi with a BFL

I think SRAM missed the boat with their choice of BCD and dedicated cranks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey guys...

U'all waiting for CK to post? Carry on!

My question was not important enough to start a new thread.
    Just asking to see if he or anyone had thought about breaking the rules with XX1.

mtbr member
    just convince Boogiemang to change the title of this thread to "The Official Surly Krampus Thread" and we're golden!

seriously though, nothing about the Krampus screams "29er" but everything about it screams "what fatbikers have been asking for as a summer bike for years now"
    It won't let me edit the first post

Harmonius Wrench

You might check this out. North Shore Billet makes a spider for SRAM cranks in the standard 104/64BCD for the 2X cranks with the proprietary SRAM BCD

Drivetrain Components « North Shore Billet
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    CK

I know this is a little off topic, but as per your blog and your thoughts on XX1, are the XX1 style
    chainrings really required for operation? Yes I understand that chain rentention may suffer, but
    required? If nothing else, run a rear cog as a chainring, would take some work, but seems very
    doable? A 26T would give something like 77.0-18.7gi with a BFL

Not necessary but performance will likely suffer going with standard rings. Haven't tried it yet but it seems like a good idea to me.

Making them proprietary is not such and issue since they have designed a full system to work together and to make it work the best having all of it is probably better. Plus like G-Ted said you can buy a different spider if you want to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    A little off topic, but will Big Apple tires fit on the Rabbit Hole rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    A little off topic, but will Big Apple tires fit on the Rabbit Hole rims?
    Does Big Apple make a 29" fat street tire or something? If so any 29er tire will fit on the rims. Even skinny ones. But fat ones (2.35+) will fit better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah BA;s would fit for sure.
    big apples are 2.3" slicks made by schwalbe, but they're VERY large air volume so they could spread out quite a bit on RH's.

try searching for "hookworm on large marge" pics. hookworms are 2.5's but the visual effect of big apples on rabbit holes would look fairly similar. (since the rabbit holes are 50's and the LM's are 65's.)

mtbr member
    Still no one has answered the question though; will a regular crankset with a granny ring (22t) have chain/tyre clearance on this bike? no 22t front ring capability with a 34t or more usefully a 36t ring will allow this bike to climb anywhere usefully, no matter how hairy your chest is

When many people built their first 29ers they stripped a hardtail and bought a frameset/ rims and tyres. Once the wheels were laced they built the bike with remaining parts, so a cheaper build was possible.
    An expensive crankset like a 73mm MWOD makes this not a very cheap build then sadly.
    Guess that will be answered when folk get hold of one and ride them a bit.

People have also commented on my FB page about the Krampus lack of 22t granny ring compatibility and lack of tyre clearance for mud...

No one on here seems to want to address these issues folk are asking?

Lets see some mud plugging low gearing pics please or film!

mtbr member
    I haven't seen the bike so I don't know but using a 68/73 BB and a 135 hub may make it so the wider tire won't fit but probably not. 3 inches is not that wide. With 3.8" tires using a 100mm BB and a 170mm hub makes enough room for a triple with no funny Pugsley type offset.

On fat street tires. I wish they made a 2.5" Hookworm in 29" I used to run the 26er version on a commuter bike before it was stolen and they are great tires.

Let's hope the fatter 29er tire revolution is on the way. The extinction of DH Dissents was quite a blow to the off road world imo.

Here is my 29er DHer that I just built with Dissents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clues about Surly's newest (fat?)bike-uzzi-29er-dh1_1s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Was unable to find 29er Dissents here in the UK, pity as looked a good tyre

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well Coastkid, all I can say is that I don't have a CLEAN full gearing range on my middle ring with 3" gazzis.
    Orange patriot, 40mm rim, saint cranks, spaced as far out (all offset spacers to the drive side) as I can and the chain JUST rubs the tire in the granny rear.
    it's acting as a sand shave really... bollox for the chain.

I'm expecting you'd need a longer than (current) standard bb axle. but only by 5 or 6mm, nothing crazy.
    some cranksets just have an inherently different chainline so if there were a better database for that sort of thing to point you in the right direction, that might be all you need.

gazzis aren't knards though so take my "knowlegde" with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks GT...this is what I found about the Big Albert, 28 x 2.35 or 60-622. Will they fit the Rabbit Hole?
    If so, this will open up a lot more interest.

Big Apple HS 430 | Schwalbe North America

cool project either way.....

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Thanks GT...this is what I found about the Big Albert, 28 x 2.35 or 60-622. Will they fit the Rabbit Hole?
    If so, this will open up a lot more interest.

Big Apple HS 430 | Schwalbe North America

cool project either way.....

Spreading a 2.35" tire across a 50mm rim is certainly possible. It may look like a low profile tire. and lower pressures may not be a good idea. Also, all of the previous depends upon a solid fit between the RH and the tire. A loose fit would be a bit sketchy, I think.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

A Surly Maverick
    I don't think ANY Dissents made it to the UK

Would have liked to try that.

The cheapest chainline fix is the spaced 83mm ISIS BB as it will clear Larrys on 47mm rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood ! View Post
    I don't think ANY Dissents made it to the UK

Would have liked to try that.

The cheapest chainline fix is the spaced 83mm ISIS BB as it will clear Larrys on 47mm rims.

Are you saying space it out on a 68/73mm bb shell? I've thought of that but didn't know if it would work. That's quite a bit of spacing.

A Surly Maverick
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Are you saying space it out on a 68/73mm bb shell? I've thought of that but didn't know if it would work. That's quite a bit of spacing.
    Yes

This is exactly what I ended up doing on the Fat Klein (73mm BB shell).

It is only 5mm each side, so two 2.5mm spacers on the drive side is all that is needed.

FSA BB is 133mm long (ISIS).

Works well

mtbr member
    I took a pic of the BB on your Fat Klein last summer Doc

UK Fatbike meet, 17 &amp; 18th September Northumberland, 2011 081 by coastkid71, on Flickr

A Surly Maverick
    Good stuff CK

Looks a little different now

I've also done a little bit of measuring and it WILL take RHs+Knards

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    new pic on FB. I see two chainrings and a front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Good catch

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast