Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Honestly, I'd rather see more development in lighter cranks, bottom brackets, rims and tires for what we've already got.

Fat & Single
    Im with you Buck, thats why im crunching numbers !

I ride only 29ers and have done for a long time, i have a 7.8kg 29er singlespeed with ENVE wheels, its about as light as they get, i love my big wheels but theres a line in the sand between fun and fast.

The fatty wheels measure the same as my 29's but we are already swinging big numbers with tyre and rim weight at 26" rims.... im interested and intrigued but cant see a use in my neck of the woods.

I can already go fast on what i have, my fat bike is about fun.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogieMang View Post
    I'm thinking Sasquatch
    I like it....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Great work...

Now we need to come up withe the name! It's bigger than an Ogre, but smaller than a Moonlander...
    If they had offspring Oglander

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wanna ride that thing! Ya just never know 'till you ride it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Ive done a bit of rough calcs and if thats a 160mm front rotor, it looks to be a 650B size rim with an ERD of approx 575mm.

Very interesting.
    And if you assume the rotor is 180mm, the rim is ~26" rim outer diameter and the tire is ~32" outer diameter.

Fat & Single
    I dont think many people are aware of ACTUAL rim size, a 26 wheel rim is only 22 inches in diameter, a 29" wheel rim is 25" diameter.

The fat wheel world writes a different script, our 26" wheels are already the same size as a 29" Tyre.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not expecting a suspension fork from Surly.
    But if they did one, it would have to be like this....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clues about Surly's newest (fat?)bike-1.jpg  

Clues about Surly's newest (fat?)bike-2.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I was thinking that was a 26 in wheel with the 3 inch tire we all were beggin' for. Set up on a 29er frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm thinking Sasquatch
    Latest hint on Surly's FB page:
    "Looks like we may have created a monster"

So yeah, maybe Saquatch, Bigfoot, or Frankenstein (hence that shade of green).

mtbr member
    I vote...Swamp Thing!!!

Last edited by Yoreskillz; 06-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bogzilla?

mtbr member
    Ahh wake me up when the spearfish gets here.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Hmmm, seems like Speedway brought a wheel around years ago for this semi fat 29er market. The 29er UMA 50mm wheel? Widest you could get a current 29er tire was 2.5" wide...I know this wheel has died off but maybe it will come back again with all this new buzz? I dabbled in the semi fat 29er world with 29er SnowCat 44mm wide wheels on my 29ers, maybe it was the tire market, or the heavy wheelset, but I would much rather be on a fatbike than a semi fat 29er...

Uma 50mm 29er - Picture found on MTBR.

mtbr member
    i have one of those speedway rims built up to a whub...singlewall...its fine...does really spread the tyre out and i dont remember the weight being too horrific? i think its the fat 29er tyres thats the thing here tho'

go on surly!. you have to love them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    But if they did one, it would have to be like this....
    I have never seen those before. More info?

mtbr member
    Here is my take. Last time I took off my 26x3.7 wheels off my pug and used some 29x2. Whatever they were I got two flats and a cut side wall. And that was the end of that.

I would build up some for a true fat bike as a light duty xc wheelset. Nothing is ever going to replace the feeling of the BFL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ack, new photo has me more confused. Can't tell specs from photo. Like the bling-ed out rims though reminds me of the delgados they did a while back

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    I have never seen those before. More info?
    1896 Pierce Arrow Hygienic Cushion frame. Leaf sprung fork, BB concentric single pivot rear.

Full suspension, shaft drive, 29er, single speed.

Who said they are a new thing on the block?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    How wide are the Kris Holm 29er rims, around 50mm already? So these are wider. The holm rims are pretty tank like, so are we talking about a 1000g rim here?...
    Here you are:

Kris Holm 20er 47mm rim wt 801gm

I've tried various tyres on them and they don't give a significantly greater spread - or at least not enough to justify using them on the fatbike. If there was a 3" 29er tyre, then maybe that would be different.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

@adelorenzo
    Interesting... If it is what people think it is... Doesn't look like it would be fat enough to replace my snow bike, and I'm pretty sure that I don't need anything wider than a 2.4 Hans Dampf on my 29er trail bike.

Could be pretty cool as an all around rat ride/winter commuter or maybe bikepacking rig. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

mtbr member
    Honestly, I'd rather see more development in lighter cranks, bottom brackets, rims and tires for what we've already got.
    Middleburn square taper on Phil Wood dosn`t get much lighter - somewhere i have a pic of Middleburn crank arms that are drilled which shaved 1/4 of original weight and were raced at DH in the UK for 4 seasons . I want to see a return by Shimano to a 8 speed chain set with a fat 8 speed nickel rustproof chain and make a a 36 -12 8 speed cassette. 8 is more than enough
    Drilled single wall rims cannot come any lighter than except in carbon, Tyres are maybe what Surly are looking into with this bike, a new 29er floatation mid fat tyre

I really dunno what so many folk get so hung up on weight on bikes and parts for, just ride the dam things
    I got recommended to go to the KH 47mm rims by Greg at Speedway if i would be riding with wheels off the ground etc.. as he said his 29er uno 50mm rims are light and so are quite flexy - how many guys would do that and lose a sale? not many!.
    Strenght will cost you in weight - always been the way it is with bikes,

A fat 29er with 3" tyres will be better than a 3.7" fat bike on regular xc trails devoid of snow and sand for different reasons, as it will roll quicker, respond so much better to pedal input and pumping and the less contact area will mean more roll and less drag = more speed maintained.
    Ride a fat bike around a trail centre here in the UK and then jump on a fat tyre (2.5") 29er and it is way better - do some people on here actually ride there bikes who say fat is best for everything?,
    50+ miles of xc trails on a fat 29er where there is no snow,sand or loose surface is a lot more fun and enjoyable on a bike that responds while riding out of the saddle - not what a fat bike is designed to do.

Apart from our friend Martin at Sandman who could ride the wheels off any bike as his videos prove for the most of us it is horses for courses and wether you like it or not biggest is not always best, why else is Surly making this bike? to fill a hole in the market, and sales of it to folk who have no interest to re sell it will prove its worth,

I think it`s idea is ace and it will be a great trail bike, and have to now ask why there is a need/want here in the UK where there biggest market is for a `trail fatbike` like On One are designing when you can buy a bike like this from Surly soon?, but i always said that about this quick steering fatbike idea - as you are losing the best feature of fatbikes which is a slower steering headtube angle which allows you to get away with a lot more on wet loose rocky technical stuff than regular geometery on 26 & 29er xc bikes . Wish my KM 29er had a slacker headangle like on the pugsley

So err hurry up Surly and lets see it close up and on film
    Last edited by coastkid71; 06-19-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hey-oh, oh-ay!
    if i catch flak for rocking the old school 3" gazzaloddis, why're these all fine n dandy?

kidding!

seriously though, same question I originally had when i saw endos...
    why're these xc tread tires?
    I don't get the point of floatation without traction.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Dirt Huffer
    I don't have the weights off hand, but on my scale, the e.13 Fat crankset came in roughly the same weight as my Shimano XT crankset.

They could make them lighter but until someone comes out with a carbon fiber crankset, there isn't much more weight cutting to be had unless you replace the steel axle with Ti.

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Want.
    Last edited by Saw; 06-19-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast