Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19
    mtbr member
    Good catch

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Spreading a 2.35" tire across a 50mm rim is certainly possible. It may look like a low profile tire. and lower pressures may not be a good idea. Also, all of the previous depends upon a solid fit between the RH and the tire. A loose fit would be a bit sketchy, I think.
    Running 2.35 WTB Moto Raptors on a 26"x48mm trials rim worked fine for me and I think for lots of people on this forum. Some people were even putting Big Apples and Hookworms on 65mm Marge rims and claimed they worked fine.

Still, it might benefit you to try before you buy if you have the opportunity...

mtbr member
    It appears my DeSalvo fatbike will take these 29+ with no issues. It has sliders with a Rohloff so I have to decide if I want to get a second Rohloff so I can switch back and forth or do I want to dismantle my current wheel.... I am leaning towards a new hub....

I have been waiting for this combo since 2007... pumped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clues about Surly's newest (fat?)bike-fatty-lo-res.jpg  

Super Genius...
    Can anyone guess if these will fit on the back of a 1st generation Turner Sultan?

Wondering if anyone measured this yet...
    I pedal, therefore I am.

mtbr member
    No way they work on a sultan....barely ST clearance w/ a 2.4 Ardent at full compression.

Super Genius...
    I realize it's a no go on the DW Link Sultans but I'm talking about the first gen with a horst link. Those have crazy clearance...and the tire moves out and up as it progresses through its travel.
    I pedal, therefore I am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hrmmm... coudl it handle a 4-6 susp. fork with 3" gazzi up front?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Super Genius...
    Quote Originally Posted by leadphinger View Post
    I realize it's a no go on the DW Link Sultans but I'm talking about the first gen with a horst link. Those have crazy clearance...and the tire moves out and up as it progresses through its travel.
    I just measured a buddies first gen. Sultan and it has 15 inches of clearance exactly at the chain stay yoke and 15.25 at the seat stay...no interference with seat tube that I could detect. It may fit but just barely...if the Knard wasn't so wide that is...the yoke at the chain stay is only 78mm. Seat stay has room to spare at 84mm.

Close but no joy for the first generation Sultans with horst link rear end.
    I pedal, therefore I am.

mtbr member
    Your Rabbit Hole Looks Knardy

"We've told you most of the pertinent details of the new 29x3.0 Surly Knard tire. It'll be about 820g for the 120tpi folding version and pretty close to that for the 27tpi. It's got blocks and whatnot for a tread pattern and it is 100% the best thing ever in the history of the universe and if you don't buy two you don't know anything about anything and you're a big jerk. It's also a very nice tire.

So nice that we're going to make it in a 26x3.8" too.

THE RABBIT HOLE

It's a 50mm rim built for getting wide with 29ers. It will fit 29" tires down to about 2.4 or 2.5" and - of course - up to the Surly 29x3.0 Knard with which it was tandemly designed. It's got all of the nice features of our fat-bicycling rims - the cutouts for weight savings, the 64 spoke hole pattern for symmetric or asymmetric builds - but it's, you know, bigger in the circumference sort of way. It will weigh about 700grams and will help you be a better person.

It's a single wall rim, but only mostly. There are actually internal spaces near the sidewall areas that make it a bit of a hybrid between single wall and double. Cut one in half and you'll see.

This sucka is going to come in traditional light-sucking black or in fancy shiny silver. Oh yes.

Here are some numbers that might help you decide if Knard or Rabbit Hole are right for you:

The Knard 3.0 tire on a Rabbit Hole 50mm rim will be 75.8mm/77.7mm (casing/tread) wide and will have a diameter or 779.4mm (at 19psi).

The Knard 3.0 tire on a Velocity P35 will be 72.6mm/76.7mm wide and have a diameter of 778.6mm.

A Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" tire will be 66.0mm/59.2mm wide and have a diameter of 752.2mm when mounted on a Rabbit Hole rim (at 35psi).

A Continental Trail King 2.4" tire will be 65.5mm/57.1mm wide and have a diameter of 759.5mm when mounted on a Rabbit Hole rim (at 35psi).

(The above numbers, as you may guess, will have some plus or minus to them when you mount up your own tires, because that's how the world works Ricky.)

That's what you get for today. Thanks for hanging with our scribblings this week. Please let us know if you have questions about any of this, ok?

Thanks,
    Skip"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I rode one this week... Not convinced.
    Is it a heavy and stable(slow) 29er or a sort of fat fat bike? Felt like a little bit of both and the bad parts of each. Is it fun? sort of, but I don't see me getting one anytime soon, I would get a 26" fat bike first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigggs View Post
    I rode one this week... Not convinced.
    Is it a heavy and stable(slow) 29er or a sort of fat fat bike? Felt like a little bit of both and the bad parts of each. Is it fun? sort of, but I don't see me getting one anytime soon, I would get a 26" fat bike first.
    Interesting! Haven't had a chance to ride one yet. Had a friend (who also hadn't ridden one) tell me I "need a Krampus... it's the best of both worlds" (refering to 29er's and fat bike's). He was assuming of course that it couldn't be the worst of both. Sometimes mixing all the ingredients you have together DOESN"T make a tasty dish. Only time will tell. Going to have to "taste" this one for myself!! Cool that they're planning a 26 x 3.8 Knard. Can't wait to see that!

mtbr member
    ...I'd still prefer a 26x3.0 Knard...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    I see the pre-production 26 X 3.8" Knards are being ridden. Saw a pic. Looks pretty flattish, not so rounded like the 29+ images I've seen. But it could have been on a hundy too, so it is hard to say. The rim was a wide one.

I'd rather have the wider one myself, the 3.8"er. A 3.0 does me no good at all.

mtbr member
    Agreed

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This looks like the surly limited edition new "Krampuss"

There is a really great pic of it on Singlespeedcycle.nl or something like that.

mtbr member
    what do you guys think about a conventional 26in fatbike back wheel and frame with a 29er+ front wheel? Will it work? no snow here, just thinking about a fun fatbike for slow technical riding and some singletrack

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    what do you guys think about a conventional 26in fatbike back wheel and frame with a 29er+ front wheel? Will it work? no snow here, just thinking about a fun fatbike for slow technical riding and some singletrack
    Should work fine with the right fork.

--Lars
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    Yes, it works just fine Mine is a Schwalbe RacingRalph 29x2.4" on a Salsa Gordo rim (35mm wide). This combo rolls as a front wheel of my good old Pugsley through the summer months, in pair with Endomorph on normal 80mm wide fatbike rear wheel.
    In fact, I prefer this set-up for the summer: less rolling drag, less wind resistance, no self-stirring of the front wheel (seems like dealing with "self-stirring" of the rear is much easier for me). Less weight also (could help for technical uphills)! The diameter of my 29" wheel is only 6mm bigger than the rear, so no problem at all for the geometry. Traction is excellent and floating is good enough for occasional beach riding and even for very sandy uphills. I normally keep air pressure in the front 29" 1.5 times that of a rear 26”.
    The only problem is an offset fork and so offset front wheel with non-offset rim. Spoke angles on both sides are fine with DMR single-speed hub, but I had to change front disc to 200mm one because of some minor interference of the spokes with brake caliper. Also modified the later (Avid BB7) a bit. Now its fine.
    P.S. Yes, now I see 29+ in your question. I’ve got no idea about fork clearance with this new Surly tire (never saw one), but I wouldn’t do this on Pugsley due to geometry change (slack top tube angle is not good for technical riding). Mukluk or anything else with longer fork could be a chance though, better with a change of the fork to somewhat shorter one.
    Greetings from Siberia.
    Last edited by IceBiker1972; 10-07-2012 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^Reported!

EDIT not the post that is now above this but some spam that was there earlier.
    Last edited by drofluf; 10-10-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: To avoid confusion :)
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drofluf View Post
    ^^Reported!
    You should probably have quoted a bit of the reported thread because now it's been removed, you look like you're pointing at another one.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You should probably have quoted a bit of the reported thread because now it's been removed, you look like you're pointing at another one.
    You've rumbled my cunning plan to chip this thread away post by post

Edited my post for clarity.
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Fortunately I've seen the deleted post, otherwise could be confused

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by drofluf View Post
    ^^Reported!

EDIT not the post that is now above this but some spam that was there earlier.
    The whole of MTBR is getting hit pretty bad by spambots at the moment. The mods usually delete the post and the spammers account.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Rode the Krampus today......I think I dig it! Didnt have a whole lot of time though...I found it alot more nimble than my previous moonlander demo...

wounded knee
    Agreed!
    Would be an awesome Summer tire, hope someone is listening
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19