Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Not going to lie, I'll be on this like flies on ****. I ride fat year round because even current 29er offerings are too light and unforgiving to me. Heavy, fast rolling and sort-of fat? Yes please.

The antonym to Weight Weenie, I suggest this genre be called Weight Warrior.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yep... Mog-bike!

Recovering couch patato
    I am taking full credit for this concept. But am very grateful someone is crazy enough to make it happen :-)

GO SURLY!!!

820g, 699g (must be a joke, so specific) rim, how about fat 29"er being too heavy?

Please do tell if it's fit a first generation Pugsley, not that it's been sortof made a pre-fatty? Long crank or tall BB fans will find that interesting to know. The difference will only be 14mm compared to 26x3.7" according to a rough calc I made, taking tire widths as heights.

Now, I suppose I need to find a 440-450mm fork that will clear this tire and start semi-fatting bikes I've got laying around :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Well crap, time to buy a new bike. Wonder what the damage on this one will be? Can't wait!

mtbr member
    The rims are drilled for spokes on both sides, so I assume that they could be built up offset for use on a Pugsley?

mtbr member
    Obvious question is which other frames can hold this rim and tire combo too. Thinking summer tire set for a Mukluk...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Toobs View Post
    When the Krampus finds a particularly naughty child, it stuffs the child in its sack and carries the frightened child away to its lair, presumably to devour for its Christmas dinner.
    I think I saw him in this movie:

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010) - IMDb

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    If I buy a Krampus, can I transfer my Enabler fork and BFL/Darryl combo over? Seems like the BFL would have a similar diameter to a 29+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    If I buy a Krampus, can I transfer my Enabler fork and BFL/Darryl combo over? Seems like the BFL would have a similar diameter to a 29+
    That would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVdevil View Post
    Obvious question is which other frames can hold this rim and tire combo too. Thinking summer tire set for a Mukluk...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Would love those tires on my Mukluk as well. I just bought my Mukluk this spring so I'll just have to wait it out for a new bike. Sigh.

mtbr member
    There’s nothing more desirable than what you don’t have…needless to say I don’t have this!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I guess we need a new category - how about a Chubby or Chubbike?....
    I like Plump.

Plumpbike.

Honey, I'm going Plumping with the guys tonight.

Plump that bike man, plump it.....

I could go on forever
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The more I look at this and ponder, the more I want one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    this is bad very bad. new 29+ or a pug for the next bike
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That will be the big question now... will the Rabbit Hole/Knard fit some of the existing FB's out there? Will also be cool to see what some of the other builders come up with for this new format.

Bad cat!
    Been getting half way serious about building a full fat, dedicated SS as a summer companion for the Muk, now...sheeet. I haven't even looked closely, but assuming it'll have SS capability?

mtbr member
    Those look like KM dropouts

A Surly Maverick
    Rabbit Holes are double drilled sooooo... should be doable on a Pug as well with an offset build

Plenty of room for the 'Knards too
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Bad cat!
    Those look like KM dropouts
    Horizontal then, eh? Good to go on SS... So would we be talking about spring '13 then do you reckon? Might have to start beating kids up for their lunch money.

Recovering couch patato
    Indeed it swap out nicely for a BFL, diameter wise. Bit less sag, much more side clearance, obviously.

Interesting will be to plot when and where each works best. I am expecting that a high-intensity ride will favor the 29+, where an all day crawl type effort will favor the BFL. Some rides may even favor a BFL/29+ combo, front/rear placement also a factor.

Please, let this first tire work well for snow racing, and fit decently on 35mm rims for firmer surfaces!

Another thing.
    If you have an early 29"er, the kind with a 72º head tube angle... Stick the 29+ on the front (your front rim may even already be a wide one), and get a bit of a raking out effect. You can consider also consider a slightly shorter fork, or one with extra offset (I like the latter option).

And all those 29"ers with fat fronts...they can upgrade to what they really wanted now. Just not in the back, those who committed to a fat lifestyle with a accomodating frame can reach those fruits.

The weight is SO un-fat... A Big Apple tire weighs 1000g in steel bead. My WW2.55 (2.4 would be a better name) was not much under 820g. Several tires have come in over 850g and more and it was never a real issue. A 29+ rim AND tire, at the weight of a current fat tire.
    I see 29+ as a more up-tempo variety for large volume tire riding. Much less of a weight penalty, zero really for those that were already into trying to get the widest possible footprint with 29".

And with dialed geometry, there is no reason why a rigid 29+ bike could not could as 29" hardtail for shaved legs style riding/racing. All the bike has is a slightly wider rear triangle, possibly more CSL (unless designed away). Like a DualSports bike compared to a regular hybrid. Fitting fatties never hurt it in any way, yet it was rarely done. As if there is a preferred maximum nominal tire clearance, not a minimal one with bigger it better clause.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Good job Surly!!

I'm more interested in those tires fitting on my WFO, had a endo just barely not fit on a 38mm rim with the 150mm rear end. Should be close.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    I'll bet you that it won't fit on a WFO. But I'm just guessing of course. Dissent is about 29.5" diameter and these are supposed to be 30 to 31, plus the width.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

How much does it weigh?
    Any chance of those wheels fitting on my Fatback? Rim/Tire combo of course... not the hubs.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    This is going to be fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I know what it is--been riding it a month now.

And I ain't sayin'.

Piped in here to comment on your use of "Salsa" and "tech heavy" in the same sentence.

Bwaaahaahaaa! Good one!
    My first thought on seeing this was "I would love to hear what mikesee thinks about this bike, given his "biggest 29er wheels possible" philosophy." How soon until you've got a custom Moots full suspension running these bad boys?

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast