mtbr member

Clown Shoe + BFL + Pugsley = Fatties Fit Fairly Fine

So I recently put Clownshoe rims on the front and back of my pugsley. I did this to run Nates - that tire on a hundie really spreads out nice but keeps a nice round trail profile.

Then I got to thinking... would a BFL fit on this? Since I have a beach ride coming up I thought I'd try. Long story short, I got it to fit with a little coaxing. Behold the girth:

Warning/Disclaimer: I did this to an old, well loved, and well used Pug frame. The pics below show how you could end up damaging a frame. Please don't do this if you are afraid of having potentially disasterous results. 4130 steel is fairly forgiving but it ain't bulletproof.

So... with a little futzing with dish and trueness, I ended up with the BFL and Clown Shoe almost working. There was clearance on the seatstays so that was no issue, but the chainstays were just touching the tire. With perfect dishing I could get the tire to spin for about one revolution with 15psi in the tire:

I decided I only needed a few MM per side, so I made up a c-clamp and a block of wood and decided to do a little cold forming:

Here are the results. On the chain side most of the dent was already there. In fact about 90% of it is from the factory. I just added the little bit towards the rear of the bike. On the non-drive side, the faint crease towards the front was there, I put the shallow dent at the end:

I did take a few precautions here:
    - I placed a hub in the dropouts and clamped the QR very tight during forming
    - I went very slow and kept test fitting
    - I went for a minimal amount of clarance - beach riding only clearance, zero tolerance for mud build-up.

I think it turned out nice. Here is the clearance after, again with the tire at 15 psi. At my normal 8-9 psi the tire has even more clearance:

Also, by dishing the wheel to balance the amount of frame dimpling I needed to do, the tire ended up very slightly to the non-drive side. I ended up only loosing use of the biggest ring in the back when in granny gear. Here is the chain clearance in granny/2nd on a 2x9 setup:

Bike runs an MWOD. I made up for the lost gear by installing the 20/33 chaintrings up front. With the Nates I have no tire drag in any gear so I'll just be sure not to use low/low on the beach. Easy enough.

Anyway, just wanted to share my story. I can say with confidence that its is probably the widest wheel/tire combo that's going on a Pug! I took it for a spin yesterday, and even on standing sprints I didn't get any rub. Looking forward to hitting the beach with this bad boy!
    Last edited by ferrstein; 11-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    whoa..
    I just posted a question below a few hours ago asking about adding a new fork and clownshoe to the front of my Pug....you took it to a different level!
    Does changing/forming the steel in this way add weak points to the frame?
    2009 MOOTS Mooto X
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_tires_are_fun View Post
    Does changing/forming the steel in this way add weak points to the frame?
    Well, my dents weren't exactly engineered for stress risers, bend modes, etc... so in a nutshell: Yeah, crimping a frame makes it weaker... but quite a bit of crimping exists on these frames from the factory, and I just added to it. I'm comfortable with the minimal amount of crimping I did to mine, but there are many who probably wouldn't be comfortable with it.
    Last edited by ferrstein; 08-11-2013 at 06:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks, will be curious to hear how this holds up/rides over time. Thanks for the post..
    2009 MOOTS Mooto X
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Went 15 miles with it today - crushed gravel, some easy single track. No rubbing, no noises. All good!

PRETENDURO
    Well, there goes the warranty! Hardware store clamping and cold forming ingenuity! Whoda thunk it?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Well, there goes the warranty! Hardware store clamping and cold forming ingenuity! Whoda thunk it?
    What - those dents? I don't know anything about those. I was just riding along and noticed them...