mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Clicking/Creaking - Fork or Headset?

I purchased a used 2012 Mukluk 2 about ten days ago. The bike is in great shape, has some very nice upgrades (not the least of which is a complete wheelset off a Beargrease! Nice!), and was owed by a bike mechanic. I will post pictures soon, after I get my new Jones bar installed, probably next week.

The bike has been great so far, but there is an annoying clicking/creaking sound that comes from the headset or the fork (which is not the stock blue Alternator fork, but a gloss black aftermarket Alternator fork) when the trail gets bouncy, or when I am pedaling hard and get some side-to-side swaying.

My guess is that the sound is coming from the headset, but I can't tell exactly where the sound is coming form and I can't replicate the problem when I'm not in the saddle and pedaling.

Any thoughts on whether the sound might be coming for the fork or the headset? Any way to differentiate?

I THINK the headset is the stock Mukluk 2 headset ("Cane Creek 40-Series, TR"). IF the clicking is coming from the headset, how hard is it to service the headset myself, or does it make more sense to have my LBS do it?

ouch....
    Clicking and creaking can be hard to track down. I usually start with headset, seatpost, cranks. After that, stem, bars etc. make sure everything is clean, and if it needs grease, make sure it has some.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Also check your cables. Sometimes steering, suspension movement, or a rough section of trail causes a cable to move around in one of the cable stops causing a click or a creak.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    difficult to track down.. i had clicking when applying torque on the handlebars... Reassembled the fork/headset/stem region without success. Switched out the stock Kalloy stem to a thomson elite.. no more clicking!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would remove both headset cups, then clean and grease everything before reassembling.

Nemophilist
    All good suggestions;

I had a similar problem recently on my Kroozer with Enabler fork. Rougher summer terrain, and getting more frequent with the passage of time. Annoying. Tried resetting the HS tension, bar/stem torque, released and reset the front skewer... still clicked. Decided to slightly tighten the front skewer. Click gone. I thought the tension was fine. Slightly tighter was finer I guess.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Clicking/Creaking - Fork or Headset?

I have the same exact issue on my Beargrease. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.

...big and slow
    I had a similar issue with my 2012 Muk 2 on last Saturday's family ride. I ended up loosening the front wheel just a touch. The noise went away. Not sure why though. I did notice that it only seemed to make that noise when there was some type of lateral force on the wheel.
    Chromey

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I won't have much time to ride for the next few days, but I'll try to find time to try some of the things that you have suggested and report back with results.

Just got my Jones Bars and Revelate frame bag installed - the bike is starting to come together!

Smash Mode: ON
    If it has the e13 triple crank than that would be my bet. I would take it back to the mechanic and ask him pretty please to go over that entire assembly from top to bottom with a torque wrench. The most likely culprit, the bearing cups, takes a special tool. It is a nice crank but in my experience it needs to gone over often or it will literally fall apart.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had a similar creaking on my 907 when I loaded up the pedals and thought it was coming from the fork or headset. Turns out that the bolt holding the frame together at the rear stay was a bit loose. Tightened up the bolt and the creaking is gone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's definitely not the crank (although that is what I thought first: crank or BB): the noise only happens when I hit bumps or when I wobble (even a little) from side to side - like when I'm pedaling at a very high rate of speed (too high to maintain neutral upper body positioning) or when I am out of the saddle and moving the bike laterally while climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It's the seat post. All of the posted comments had me bouncing and swaying, tightening and thrashing about. I finally nailed it down to the seat post. Any suggestions for a good seat post for a 250 lb Clyde?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClark View Post
    It's the seat post. All of the posted comments had me bouncing and swaying, tightening and thrashing about. I finally nailed it down to the seat post. Any suggestions for a good seat post for a 250 lb Clyde?
    I asked Carboncycles about their Ti seatpost, they said it has no rider weight limit. If you look at the clamping style it has a much wider base than most Ti seatposts.
    Not that it has to be Ti, just basing it on bike spec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Make sure the headset tension is correct, then also consider facing the stem. Most shops should be able to do this. My singlespeed creaked like a beast, then a Absolute Bike sin Salida faced the stem (where it hits the spacers) and it made all the difference in the world. Now I face every stem on all of my bikes. Basically, the stem may not be sitting square on the spacers.

The front QR is a common culprit, also make sure the brake assembly is tight and the rotor is tight. Check the faceplate bolts with a torque wrench also. You can drop the fork out a bit and make sure the crown race is fully set as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hrmmm...what is the seatpost diameter for my Muk 2? Anybody know off hand? Guess I can measure it in the AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check the stem.

...big and slow
    A year ago, i had a creaking sound that I thought was related to the seat post. That time it turned out to be the clamp on the post that clamps the seat rails to the seat post. I tightened the clamps as tight as I could without breaking them and the sound was gone. You might check the clamps before you go and buy another post.

FWIW, I'm around 230 lbs. and haven't had any additional issues with the original seat and post. When I started hearing that creaking sound again last week I thought it was the seat again. As posted earlier, this time it was the front skewer. Guess I got lucky pinpointing the culprit so quickly this time. I hate odd noises on bikes and cars. Drives me nuts until I get it fixed.
    Chromey

dvn
    mtbr member
    Only creaking I have experienced on my Mukluk has come from the Alternator dropouts. Some extra blue loctite has done wonders.

Laramie, Wyoming
    27.2 mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm going to try greasing the seat post and the seat post clamp today and see if that does it. I'll check the bolts that secure the seat, too. If none of that works and it still sounds like it is coming form the seat post, I'll probably just order a Thomson Elite (27.2 - thanks, Alphazz!) - it sounds like it has the best strength to weight ratio out there.

Thanks for all of the advice. We've had family in town since Thursday, with most of them leaving tomorrow, so I should have more time to work on my bike (and time to RIDE my bike!) soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So the culprit appears to be the bolts that secure the seat at the top of the seat post. I tightened these up before setting out to go to the LBS, to pickup some grease - and decided to go for a ride instead, since the clicking/creaking was gone. 12 miles later, just as I was riding the last block to my house, the creaking started again.

I don't have a torque wrench, so I'm more than a little wary of over tightening the bolts. Should I put Locktite on them, or is that just asking for trouble later, when I want to loosen them or take the seat off?

Should I just scrap the stock seat post and pickup a Thomson Elite? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So the culprit appears to be the bolts that secure the seat at the top of the seat post. I tightened these up before setting out to go to the LBS, to pickup some grease - and decided to go for a ride instead, since the clicking/creaking was gone. 12 miles later, just as I was riding the last block to my house, the creaking started again.

I don't have a torque wrench, so I'm more than a little wary of over tightening the bolts. Should I put Locktite on them, or is that just asking for trouble later, when I want to loosen them or take the seat off?

Should I just scrap the stock seat post and pickup a Thomson Elite? Thoughts?
    I had a noisy single bolt seat post on my haro it was swapped under warranty. I have a nice Thompson on my pug but a new cheap kalloy should work just as well.

squish, squish in da fish
    a loose spoke will also creak. i know you narrowed it down and found it, but just for future onlookers.