Puro Vida!

CK bottom bracket

Does anyone know if just a sleeve can be purchased to use a existing Chris King BB on a Fat Bike? I think I also read some people use without the sleeve? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I put a CK sleeve on a stock Moonlander BB.

Puro Vida!
    It fit? Thought they had to be longer? I have a CK BB on my 05 Enduro I was thinking about removing and using on my Pug-I don't think it'll fit?

Twenty2 Cycles
    When they ship the 100mm bb you get a complete standard 73mm bb and an additional sleeve to convert it to 100mm, so you could for sure just get a sleeve to use your existing one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Does anyone know if just a sleeve can be purchased to use a existing Chris King BB on a Fat Bike? I think I also read some people use without the sleeve? Thanks
    Yep. Not on their webstore, but call them up and they'll be happy to sell you one. From what I gather it is a good idea to run one in general, and a requirement if you want to use the King grease injection tool.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Puro Vida!
    Oh ok-any idea if I can just order the sleeve or do I have to find someone not using it and possibly selling one? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson34 View Post
    Oh ok-any idea if I can just order the sleeve or do I have to find someone not using it and possibly selling one? Thanks
    Same question from me..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You can order the 100 mm sleeve separately for about $10. I got one at Aspirevelotech.com. Used standard CK bb along with the 100 mm sleeve on my fatback.

Puro Vida!
    Awesome! Just checked and just about to order-thanks for the info-I almost have it away. So you need their special tool to remove and install?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know that you do "need" the special tool to remove and install, but it is a very nice tool and will work on other bottom brackets with the same pattern.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by drtoro View Post
    When they ship the 100mm bb you get a complete standard 73mm bb and an additional sleeve to convert it to 100mm, so you could for sure just get a sleeve to use your existing one.
    Interesting.

I currently have a 100mm Raceface (old-style) BB with Raceface cranks - after a thorough UK-style drenching they needed repacking (within a few hundred km of use) due to creaking. Not desperately impressed by this, so have a CK BB (73mm as bought from CRC) and when the creaking gets on my nerves I'll see if the sleeve from the RF BB works with the CK end-cups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The sleeve that came with my Race Race Turbine Crankset (fatbike specific) fit my CK cups. But I am unsure if it will seal out the water like a CK sleeve will. Never tested the CK sleeve w/ CK cups vs RF sleeve w/ CK cups.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I don't know that you do "need" the special tool to remove and install, but it is a very nice tool and will work on other bottom brackets with the same pattern.
    Right-and the CK tool fits on a ratchet wrench. I use a long handled angle head ratchet for great leverage. The tool is well worth owning if you admire well thought out tools.

mtbr member
    you dont need the special tool...the pedros and park cup-style (rather than spanner style) tools work fine, though the overlap onto the bb's splines seems slightly less secure, due to the almost hemispherical shape of the king bb, and if you dont mind marring the finish on the bb cup the spanner (wrench?) style tools work as well. having used them all the king one is the best fit...and its a cool colour... :-)~