Thread: Chubby bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Chubby bike?

Have a question and hopefully you guys can answer.

I currently ride an 18" Surly Ogre and am looking to fatten it up a bit. I'm looking into getting a set of rabbit hole wheels wrapped in some 2.4" rubber, Schwalbe Hans Dampf probably, but I'd also like to do a suspension fork. You guys have any experience with what forks would fit this combo?

I appreciate it a ton!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You might want to post this in the Surly forum and see if there are any users who have already done this. RH rims will widen the tire profile, but it won't be a fat bike. Also, RH rims are pretty expensive to use and not use them to their full potential, like with a 3.0 Knard. Maybe a 3.0 Knard on a RH rim for the front, which will give a little more cushion, and then one of the 35 mm rims combined with a 2.4 on the back? There are several inexpensive rigid forks that will accommodate the front combination.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whoismestas View Post
    Have a question and hopefully you guys can answer.

I currently ride an 18" Surly Ogre and am looking to fatten it up a bit. I'm looking into getting a set of rabbit hole wheels wrapped in some 2.4" rubber, Schwalbe Hans Dampf probably, but I'd also like to do a suspension fork. You guys have any experience with what forks would fit this combo?

I appreciate it a ton!
    I'm not sure just how much clearance the ogre has but if it accommodates the RH then as deuxdiesel mentions use a tire that will be of some benefit, ie a 3.0 knard or even the new dirt wizard 2.75 on 35mm blunts on both ends may be an idea. This link may give you some ideas for a fork even though krampus related.
    Krampus with Front Suspension!

mtbr member
    Surly did a great blog post about this. Here is an excerpt:

8. What works with what and where?

As we've alluded to in various other spots, you can do lots of things with your tinker gene and the Krampus bits. If you run a Karate Monkey or Ogre now, you can run a full on Krampus front wheel all up in there. You can run a Rabbit Hole (more on her tomorrow by the way) rim on the rear end of your Karate Monkey with a 2.4" tire.

The Krampus thread linked above has a ton of info about which suspension forks will work.