How much does it weigh?

Chris King BB, or Enduro?

Hey guys, my Race Face Atlas BB appears to have been revived with some fresh grease.. but it's not perfect by any means.

I am going to have to replace it fairly soon.

My last ride was home from work on Wednesday last week in the pouring rain.

Last night I went out for a ride and on the way down the stairs... I noticed my cranks weren't spinning very nice, instantly I though, oh no.. the horror of the Hadley hubs bearings going has finally got me. But no... it was the BB bearing on the non-drive side. Thankfully the hubs are still perfect

My question here...

Chris King, or Enduro?

Have any of you BB murderers killed a King BB yet? I also can't decide on Red or Black

This is the second BB I've killed in about 6 years, and I know exactly why it gave up... I had 1 too many spacers on the spindle of my Atlas cranks.. I took one off last night and it's perfect.

When I built the bike I was pretty excited to ride it, and the Atlas cranks are such a pain in the butt to install that I didn't want to keep doing it multiple times, so I just installed it with no spacers, then wedged a bunch in the gap to measure how many I needed.

I hate when things break because I rushed to install it, I've worked in a good few bike shops, and they're always happy with my work... I should know better, but I guess excitement can get us by surprise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I had the same thing happen with the Atlas on my regular MTB. Apparently Race Face had some poor bearings in some of the early Atlas cranks (per my LBS). I chucked mine and bought a red CK - flawless so far.

However, my LBS did say that RF will warranty the bearings if they failed prematurely. 3 - 6 years may not qualify but if you don't ask, you don't get. They might at least offer to replace for cost.

How much does it weigh?
    Second BB among every bike I've owned I should say.

This BB has been in use since November 2010.

mtbr member
    I've killed quite a few Shimano external BB bearings on my nonefatbikes. They were lasting 7-8 months before seizing up or wobbling all over the place
    Slowly been replacing them with King BB's and not had any trouble with them. The oldest King BB I have is just over 2 years old now.

I think part of the reason for this is how easy it is to use the King grease tool. Which I do on a regular basis.

B2

Enduro

I have an Enduro on my Spot brand SS. The belt drive seems to put alot of load on BB's and rear hubs. I have had no problems with the Enduro for more then 2 seasons of hard ridding.
    That being said I have no experence with the King. I know yiu need a special tool to regrease the King, no such need for the Enduro.
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

How much does it weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedstu View Post
    I've killed quite a few Shimano external BB bearings on my nonefatbikes. They were lasting 7-8 months before seizing up or wobbling all over the place
    Slowly been replacing them with King BB's and not had any trouble with them. The oldest King BB I have is just over 2 years old now.
    I had Shimano Saint cranks on my MTB for 3 or 4 years... bought the cranks used, never replaced the BB, silky smooth when I sold it. I hail for the Shimano system of left arm coming off and that little preload cap. Makes it almost impossible to accidentally over preload the bearings.

Is King using their angular contact bearings in their BBs too? Or did they finally outsource bearings instead of making them in house?

The thing I liked about my King headsets, was that you could crank the top cap down, and it was still silky smooth.. where most headsets will bind and explode.

mtbr member
    Is King using their angular contact bearings in their BBs too? Or did they finally outsource bearings instead of making them in house?
    They look like the bearings they use in the headsets with the snapring and rubber seal.

How much does it weigh?
    I was being lazy... their website indeed says their BB uses their in house bearings.