mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Chosing a Fat Bike.

Hello !
    I am new to this forum and have been reading up on fat bikes and getting super excited about them.
    So IŽll be ordering one as soon as the money allows it but finds it super hard to choose.

I want to use it for all mountain riding, and snow.
    I want it to cost somewhere in the 2K-3K $ range.
    Hope to get it under 30lbs (13,6kg), and have the opportunity to mount a suspention fork down the road some time.

Are willing to buy complete or build.
    Any inputs will be much appreciated

Nuts
    Welcome!! Anyhoo it's a tough call right now with so many new bikes coming out and really little to be known about them. Kind of a lull in the action right now one might say. There are the old faithfuls (Salsa, Surly, 907, Fatback and so on) which I'm sure a few will chime in to voice an opinion of their current and favorite steed. If I was building a new one (which I might) and wanting a suspension fork I would maybe hold off and see what kind of suspension corrected frames might be available in the near future if that is important to you.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the reply. Have read that there is many expected newcomers to launch fat bikes. Want to be able to upgrade to a suspention fork in some time without having to get a new frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Welcome!! Anyhoo it's a tough call right now with so many new bikes coming out and really little to be known about them.
    +1 - you might as well wait until Interbike to see what shakes out this fall.

Having said that any bike with a tapered head tube and a suspension corrected fork will be able to accept a suspension fork. That info is on each manufacturer's website.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - you might as well wait until Interbike to see what shakes out this fall.

Having said that any bike with a tapered head tube and a suspension corrected fork will be able to accept a suspension fork. That info is on each manufacturer's website.
    Great advice, will wait to see what shows up on the Interbike event. Would be rather annoying if i bought a bike now and in just weeks later something much better was released to the same price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjoseth View Post
    Would be rather annoying if i bought a bike now and in just weeks later something much better was released to the same price.
    Totally. After Interbike you will have new options and this year's models will start seeing discounts if they are being replaced by something clearly better for 2014.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sounds like a Beargrease is a good option. Especially since they will be in the bargain bins and craigslist ads soon as the Carbon version is coming. I'm tempted myself. Anyone want to buy a pugs?
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook