Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Should We try to open this a bit...

We know that shock is 200 x 50 mm, travel is 120 mm. So leverage ratio is 2.4

If someone is willing to put data in some nice program, or other way uses a propeller cab.. Is really good with numbers & linkage ratios, I can try to measure values from cs001 drawing.

What I have done, is that I have two different rear shocks to test when frame arrives, Coil with 6 way adjustments and RS monarch 4.2, tune A, but this also has pretty good various adjustments.. Also inside of a shock is not that weird to me.

With this leverage ratio 2.4 shock is right in the middle of light & med. tune... A or B

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-rock-shox.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Peter, would you share CAD info for us to import so that we can do this? Or is there any chance you can get this info for us? Help us get our shocks properly tuned, please.

Otherwise I suppose you can get pretty good numbers from that drawing, Jukahia.

Guy that sits next to me at work is our Creo expert...if it comes down to it I'll talk him into helping us model the CS-001 rear wheel travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Workmate said he'd help me do the model in Creo so we can see how the leverage ratio changes through the 120mm of travel. Creo is ultra high-end 2D/3D CAD software...I'm hoping Peter will share his CAD data with me if he can't get the rate info for us. Otherwise I'm depending on Jukahia to help. :-)

IWR
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Leverage Ratio info for shock selection.

I haven't used Linkage much ... but here is what it gives me.
    Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-fatbike-1-001_000.jpgChinese carbon full suspension fat bike-fatbike-1-001_geometry.jpgChinese carbon full suspension fat bike-fatbike-1-001_levratio.jpgChinese carbon full suspension fat bike-fatbike-1-001_shockcurve.jpg

Honestly don't know enough to know totally what it means - maybe someone else is better at this than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukahia View Post
    Should We try to open this a bit...

We know that shock is 200 x 50 mm, travel is 120 mm. So leverage ratio is 2.4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rock-shox.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	1030119

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Has anyone else gotten their frame yet? Mine came on Saturday and man is it a beautiful piece of work. Now I just need to save my pennies to buy the parts to build it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    Has anyone else gotten their frame yet? Mine came on Saturday and man is it a beautiful piece of work. Now I just need to save my pennies to buy the parts to build it.
    C'mon! you can't post that without pictures
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Still no customer pics?! Come on!
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

-Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUPolar View Post
    Still no customer pics?! Come on!
    Yeah, some close up shots of the linkage, bb and head tube or all of it would be great!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Seriously thinking about one of these.... would love to see some pics of what you guys received!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I now have the info that it will be something like Jan 2016 when I get my hands on one..

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Was interested in one back when it was supposed to be shipping in like July. This many months later there doesn't seem to be many out yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm patiently awaiting mine...got all the parts, but don't have the wheels built yet so I'm not worried about it. Pairing Peter's 80mm hookless rims to Hope Fatsno hubs using DT Swiss super comp spokes. :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

We the people ...

Yep. Productive day @lunch break...
    Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_1198.jpg

Changed bearings to New Hope hub, as I do not trust the original ones.. also used a bit retaining compound to inner bearing outer surface to keep it in the free hub. Also had some time with lathe by turning bushings to right width.

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_1193.jpg

I also now have the v2. hugo 27,5 wheels, and today 27,5*3,8 Hodags should arrive, so I might test these to my Beargrease during Christmas holidays. As We dont even have snow anymore, and there is +6 (C) Celsius out side..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Holy smokes...that's some serious business. I'm going to measure my bushings tonight to see how they compare.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Could not resist to test these on the Beargrease2...Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-pieni_1218.jpg

Set is; Hugo 52 v.2 + bontrager 27,5*3,8"
    Tyre is 93 mm wide on a 50mm rim. And there is plenty of room in the back height vice, width were newer my concern... So Im more than confident that these will fit to cs001 also

Front wheel still has a tube inside as tape needed to press down, but rear wheel were air tight & tubeless from the assy.

Weight is a bit less than my Nextie 65 + bud & dunderbeist tubeless. And the ride is lighter and faster. Height is pretty much the same as Dunderbeist on a 65mm rim. --> So its a bit less than Bud.

Bluto rct3 is also nice, even this is (120mm) 20mm too long for this frame, but I put two tokens inside & set sag 25-30%.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone have real photos?

Peter - have you made and rode a bike?

Can you put kits on your website?

mtbr member
    Why don't you guys invest some money in the distribution of illegal soft drugs? Or do some insurance fraud? Then you could buy a original Salsa Bucksaw Carbon frame, and not a blatant knockoff. Should be in the same moral ballpark, and you end up with the genuine article! Win-win!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Farbar View Post
    Why don't you guys invest some money in the distribution of illegal soft drugs? Or do some insurance fraud? Then you could buy a original Salsa Bucksaw Carbon frame, and not a blatant knockoff. Should be in the same moral ballpark, and you end up with the genuine article! Win-win!

Nah we're too busy feeding trolls n building awesome (Read not getting ripped off by big labels) carbon hyperbikes for peanuts to do such stand up things as that.

PMSL

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    I'm sure Salsa's offerings would be more affordable if they didn't have to develop the bikes first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Did I miss something? Has anyone even seen a picture of these yet? Are we just assuming they are knockoffs of the Bucksaw?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Did I miss something? Has anyone even seen a picture of these yet? Are we just assuming they are knockoffs of the Bucksaw?
    3D model here: Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike

Pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00009557019657

The seat tube pivot has been moved slightly, but it's otherwise hard telling them apart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Farbar View Post
    3D model here: Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike

Pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00009557019657

The seat tube pivot has been moved slightly, but it's otherwise hard telling them apart.
    Ah ha. Thank you. I love how the bluto is backwards in the last picture.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    Nah we're too busy feeding trolls n building awesome (Read not getting ripped off by big labels) carbon hyperbikes for peanuts to do such stand up things as that.

PMSL

Fat Biker
    Peanuts really, what's the price of the frame? I'm thinking by the time you pay shipping, imports and build the thing you're not saving all that much over say finding one on sale, plus no R&D, do you get a hassle free replacement warranty and support?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A. Salsa's suspension design for the Bucksaw is in no way unique...it's Horst and the Horst patent expired in 2014.

B. It's close to 1/2 the price to build this bike vs buying the carbon Salsa.

C. How 'bout going on a ride instead of mucking about here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmes View Post
    A. Salsa's suspension design for the Bucksaw is in no way unique...it's Horst and the Horst patent expired in 2014.

B. It's close to 1/2 the price to build this bike vs buying the carbon Salsa.

C. How 'bout going on a ride instead of mucking about here?

A. Wrong. It's Dave Weagle's Split Pivot. Salsa licensed it in 2013 with the Spearfish. Salsa Cycles

B. Of course it is. Salsa started developing the Bucksaw in 2011. That kind of R&D effort doesn't come cheap. Salsa Cycles

C. "Get a life" ceased to be an effective internet argument ca 1997.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My bad. Thanks for correcting me, but it sounds like DW is the one getting ripped off then, not Salsa.

Too bad. They shouldn't be using the Chinese for cheap labor. We all know they pay the Chinese diddly for mass producing their frames then turn around and charge the same amount they could for Made in the USA frames. We're talking about QBP here...Salsa is just a name they own...not the custom manufacturer out of California they were. QBP is an 8 billion pound gorilla...they ought to build a factory in MSP to manufacture their own bikes...I'd buy one.

Whatever. I bought a made in China Salsa Las Cruces...never again. High price and bad feel, but the Dreamcicle Orange sure is sweet!
    Last edited by pmes; 12-31-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Salsa was CA, not CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    A Carbon Salsa would be close to $6000.

Building one of these would be about $2400.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    A Carbon Salsa would be close to $6000.

Building one of these would be about $2400.
    That makes zero sense if you build it with the same components. You are only looking at the difference in cost between frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was going by the pre-built price of $6500 for the Salsa - figuring you could buy it for 10% off.

And then knowing you could buy a BikesDirect NightTrain Bullet for $1800 and then sell that frame for $200 and put all the stuff onto the $800 carbon frame.

mtbr member
    I was going by the pre-built price of $6500 for the Salsa - figuring you could buy it for 10% off.

And then knowing you could buy a BikesDirect NightTrain Bullet for $1800 and then sell that frame for $200 and put all the stuff onto the $800 carbon frame.
    Wrong again! The frames are not 800 and you cant compare the components, carbon wheels, carbon bar, dropper post and so on to the crap you get for $1800 at BD!

All fat, all the time.

Comparing apples to apples, you can buy the salsa carbon frame only for $2699 (full retail) and do the same thing. how much is this version (I honestly don't have a clue)? $1100 ish? Does this one come with a shock? Rear axle? If not, factor that cost in too.

mtbr member
    I think the Salsa frame comes with both hubs axle and tuned shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    This frame is $800 without the fork.

It would be awesome if someone could do a build list using parts from Merlin or wherever.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    I think the Salsa frame comes with both hubs axle and tuned shock.
    My Aluminum BS frame came with shock and rear axle.

mtbr member
    Ok maybe it's the the rigid bikes that come with both hubs.
    But that Chinese frame is more than $800

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Price is about $1,000 shipped without rear shock. The carbon bucksaw comes with Rockshox Monarch RT3 which looks to be about $370 online. That puts you at about $1,400 with rear axle for this frame vs $2,700 for the carbon bucksaw. It might be worth it for some people and others it might not. I'm on the fence personally. If I hear some good ride reports on this full sus Chinese frame, I might go ahead and get one. I can move 90% of the parts over from my current fat bike so that's pretty much my only cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Ok maybe it's the the rigid bikes that come with both hubs.
    But that Chinese frame is more than $800
    Here is one for $880 or best offer. I bet I could get it for $800 without any problem.

2015 carbonspeed own full suspension fat bike frame CS-001 For Sale

mtbr member
    Here is one for $880 or best offer. I bet I could get it for $800 without any problem.

2015 carbonspeed own full suspension fat bike frame CS-001 For Sale
    Ok thanks, I was quoted higher so its strange that they are selling them less then if you contact them directly. I have also seen similar bikes on Ebay but in non fat for $650 so even China has a Fat tax.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Maybe there is only one for that price. I don't know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    How about looking at several factors other than the cost savings. This guy is terrible about keeping updates. These were supposed to be in the publics hands back in July. Here it is Jan 2016 and nobody has one yet. The price has changed several times and nobody has even gotten one yet. Say you pay him $1,000 shipped and it never shows up. Guess what, not much can be done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    True, it takes a lot of cost savings to make up for the risk.

KenPsz says he got his three weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah and not one pic or update.
    I'm wondering what goes on there ?

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This is why--in part--businesses keep their product development and release dates secret. People start freaking out if there's a delay. I have a 19" on order and don't expect to hear anything for another 3 weeks. I'd rather they take their time to make sure and get it right the first time instead of sending me a frame that's going to snap on me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    Yeah and not one pic or update.
    I'm wondering what goes on there ?

Fat Biker
    There is a reason that I have not posted any updates. Actually very good customer service but I will let Peter comment if he wants to.

But needless to say I am happy with what Peter created and the proactive customer service that he has.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    How about looking at several factors other than the cost savings. This guy is terrible about keeping updates. These were supposed to be in the publics hands back in July. Here it is Jan 2016 and nobody has one yet. The price has changed several times and nobody has even gotten one yet. Say you pay him $1,000 shipped and it never shows up. Guess what, not much can be done.
    Nothing unique about any of those issues. Pretty common in fatbike land. Most do ship eventually.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Not to mention Paypal does a great job protecting buyers. In worst case I know I will get my money back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pmes View Post
    Not to mention Paypal does a great job protecting buyers. In worst case I know I will get my money back.
    Not after 6 months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If one does nothing to see they get what they've ordered or get their money back within six months, one is pretty stupid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Look guys Peter has shipped the 17" frames and as I mentioned there is a very good reason there are no updates. So Peter has built a quality product and he is giving very good customer service to the frames he has shipped.

So this notion that those of us that ordered frames have not received them is totally false.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast