Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    There is a reason that I have not posted any updates. Actually very good customer service but I will let Peter comment if he wants to.

But needless to say I am happy with what Peter created and the proactive customer service that he has.
    No need to be so defensive.

Why post you've received your frame and then go silent ?

You have ignored the many requests for positive info to assist / encourage people in their possible future purchase. As far as I can see those requests have been from people eager/keen/interested to buy this product.

Can you not see by not replying to these requests, and by the gaurded replies you have posted only serve to put doubts in peoples minds about the legitimacy and integrity of the product ? Myself included.

FYI

I was the one that started this thread.

I was initially very excited to hear of the frames development. But although I understand why there have been delays with production, it inevitably it drove me to buy from elsewhere and go full rigid too (can't get much more different I suppose LOL).

And for the record I have no problem with Peter or his company or this particular frame other than my own frustration due to lack of patience (but that's my problem entirely)

Perhaps there is a valid reason you have responded in the way you have. I also respect that Peter may have requested that any issues you have or may not have with any aspect of the entire buying/building process upto this point not be disclosed in a public forum. But I think you could have handled it in a more positive diplomatic way IMHO.

Good luck to you and anyone else that has purchased one of these frames. I would like to purchase one myself once I have finished my current project and boosted my coffers slightly.

Happy new year.

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sorry if I came across defensive that was not the intention. But the posts that imply that those of us that bought frames are suckers hit a nerve, thus the very curt response. But there are 25 of us that are taking a chance on these frames and we should be cut some slack for being the test cases for this, instead of getting grief for taking a chance that others could benefit from. Always easier to be the second wave of people that adopt than the first ones.

The fact is the frames have been built but there are reasons (Peter can comment if he wants) why you are not seeing builds. I am looking forward to building my frame and am getting the parts together to do so. So in the future you will see builds of the these frames just not as soon as everyone (including me) would like to see them.

Still cheaper than getting a Bucksaw frame and building one out for those that think that is not the case. I figure I can build this up to a fully for around $2200, with quality parts, which is still cheaper than just trying to find just a bucksaw frame. Yes many of those parts will be 2nd hand but I am not going cheap on what I get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Used aluminum Bucksaw on eBay right now for $2700 buy-it-now. Looks good. I am just not sure I want a fat bike limited to 4.0 inch tires.

beer thief
    Might be cheaper than buying a Bucksaw frame but if you've had it 3+ weeks and still can't ride it your savings are worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously there are problems with the frame no one wants to talk about. I hope you get them sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Used aluminum Bucksaw on eBay right now for $2700 buy-it-now. Looks good. I am just not sure I want a fat bike limited to 4.0 inch tires.
    You haven't done your research. Lots of people running larger than 4.0 on Bucksaws. A D5 fits pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Might be cheaper than buying a Bucksaw frame but if you've had it 3+ weeks and still can't ride it your savings are worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously there are problems with the frame no one wants to talk about. I hope you get them sorted out.

You haven't done your research. Lots of people running larger than 4.0 on Bucksaws. A D5 fits pretty easily.
    I expect some growing pains with new products and yes in this case I am taking an expensive gamble. For me this was not a buy, build then ride right away anyway so a few weeks or months of delay is OK with me.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    Ah ha. Thank you. I love how the bluto is backwards in the last picture.
    That's so the thing will balance upright on its own for the photo. I do that when taking frameset photos sometimes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Can't find it on Ebay, was it blue or gold?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Just note that the D5 is not a 5 inch tire. It is 4.3 inches on 80mm rims, and about 4.4 on 100mm. But true, 4.3 is larger than 4.0.

mtbr member
    I do believe I touched a nerve!

Name:  Screenshot 2016-01-02 13.19.27.png
Views: 1516
Size:  22.9 KB

To clarify my stance here: I wholeheartedly welcome more affordable or innovative bikes from any manufacturer. Judging by the pictures posted here and elsewhere, this bike however looks all but identical to the Bucksaw Carbon. If this isn't a licensed copy, or unless I'm misinterpreting the few pictures available, this does nothing but stifle innovation by undercutting the people who designed and developed the bike in the first place. This is neither fair nor good for the development of our sport.

I'll be happy to rescind my criticism if the actual bike proves me wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Farbar View Post
    Why don't you guys invest some money in the distribution of illegal soft drugs? Or do some insurance fraud? Then you could buy a original Salsa Bucksaw Carbon frame, and not a blatant knockoff. Should be in the same moral ballpark, and you end up with the genuine article! Win-win!

Jep, I state You are an a##hole by writing this; Why don't you guys invest some money in the distribution of illegal soft drugs? .... why ?? I Work for Global American Company... and quess what, they source from China, should YOU now then drop useing all Bikes etc.. that are made there.

I own Salsa bike, I love it. Iīm also on the same side in some statements that You make, and I would like to get new carbon BS also, but itīs 2800 USD for frame.. What... And You think iīm eating their bread. Iīm not ready to invest that much for a frame that I donīt even know yet, if fullsus. is the thing I need... And yes, no Salsa test run events here.

... If You are so concern about their margin, I think You should voluntary to some Taiwan factory that makes frames for them...

And for my moral side, It is as high as +ten years of working in a global BIG company can be.

I think You now need to open Your own topic for this moral side, as You can read this is for Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike... Not; Iīm the inner voice of -80īs company policy.

...and have I pressed something wrong, as my dot is green in Your pic... I ment it to be bad, poor, stupid, etc...
    Last edited by Jukahia; 01-02-2016 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    I do believe I touched a nerve!

Name:  Screenshot 2016-01-02 13.19.27.png
Views: 1516
Size:  22.9 KB

To clarify my stance here: I wholeheartedly welcome more affordable or innovative bikes from any manufacturer. Judging by the pictures posted here and elsewhere, this bike however looks all but identical to the Bucksaw Carbon. If this isn't a licensed copy, or unless I'm misinterpreting the few pictures available, this does nothing but stifle innovation by undercutting the people who designed and developed the bike in the first place. This is neither fair nor good for the development of our sport.

I'll be happy to rescind my criticism if the actual bike proves me wrong.
    Maybe if you post your opinions in a less offensive way you wont get negative feedback? There was really no need to say that people who purchase this frame are on the same moral level of doing something that is a crime.
    2006 Rush Hour SS
    2013 Speed Concept 7.0
    2015 FM190 Fatty
    2015 Emonda SL
    2016 Macho King

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    "stifle innovation" ... we're amidst a great philosopher here ... soothsayer even ... wow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmes View Post
    "stifle innovation" ... we're amidst a great philosopher here ... soothsayer even ... wow.
    Well, if this is truly a unlicensed copy, the only way it won't stifle innovation is if it doesn't sell very well. Who in their right mind would spend years developing any product if everyone runs off and buys the half priced copy?

You're right in that it isn't illegal buying stuff like this, but I find it pretty dodgy. I'm not alone if the net positive rep received for this discussion is anything to go by.

But enjoy your Enchilada Chainsaws. It appears to be a proven design, and is provably a great bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Well, if this is truly a unlicensed copy, the only way it won't stifle innovation is if it doesn't sell very well. Who in their right mind would spend years developing any product if everyone runs off and buys the half priced copy?.
    I think It would be interesting if you went down this twice-mentioned rabbit hole of stifling innovation. Are you an inventor yourself? Please explain if you care to.

It is a bit of a warning sign when you are posting about 'everyone runs off and does ____'. That's dangerous talk that helps one convince themselves that 'everyone' is for or against them. This thread is hardly representative of everyone or even .00001%, or even .01% of bucksaw buyers, what is driving your paranoia here?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I think people that can afford a Bucksaw will buy one over some copycat.
    Those who can't were never potential Bucksaw customers and this won't run Salsa out of business.
    You won't see car companies, Nike, Rolex, North Face, Gucci, or others stop making new products because luxury items always have customers that want the real thing.
    A Bucksaw is a luxury item and doesn't look to have any patents on it.
    It's just a fat suspension bike, nothing innovative.
    As long as people know they aren't getting a Bucksaw I see nothing wrong.
    No one gives a hoot about how Framed, Heller, Java, or KHS have identical Chinese variants.

Personally I have never bought a vehicle with an unproven history.
    I can see why saving 50% is appealing but taking the subsequent risk of questionable engineering, finishing, and support would steer me to saving longer for a Bucksaw or buying a lower grade bike from someone I trust.

It's only when a customer unknowingly buys a fake at full price I feel angry, but that is also the buyer's ignorance at fault.
    I bought a fake TAG F1 watch in Times Square when I was 20 years old.
    It stopped working in 2 weeks from water damage.
    It was a $100 mistake but a cheap lesson in becoming a better buyer.

There are other items that need our attention like fake rice, medicine, and baby formula. These are staples of life.
    If you don't like a Chinese knock off of a luxury item, then don't buy one.
    Like it or not, no amount of words on a forum is going to change copycat products from existing.
    What luxury brand has gone out of business from copycats?
    There have been many blatant lookalike counterfeit bikes in the past; particularly high end road bikes but I still see Cannondale, Pinarello, Look, etc. still in business.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwilson View Post
    It is a bit of a warning sign when you are posting about 'everyone runs off and does ____'. That's dangerous talk that helps one convince themselves that 'everyone' is for or against them. This thread is hardly representative of everyone or even .00001%, or even .01% of bucksaw buyers, what is driving your paranoia here?

Wait. How is this a controversial point?

1. Business make products for profit.
    2. Designing and developing products is an investment in future profits.
    3. If n% of your potential customers runs off and buys an unlicensed copy instead of your product, this will cost you m% of your profits (where m has a direct relationship with n).
    4. These losses make the investment in developing new products less profitable and thus less tempting.
    5. As n and m grows, it will eventually reach a point where the business has the choice between reducing the investment or developing products at a net loss.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pmes View Post
    I have had a hard time to think about a name for the frame and I think I might have found a winner. Stifle innovation is SO big word, I might go with shorter version; stiffy

At least this is the first time I discover that LCC- part's has done it for someone, but not a first time that Fat Bike has...

And please let's wrap this tortilla to new topic.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukahia View Post
    I have had a hard time to think about a name for the frame and I think I might have found a winner. Stifle innovation is SO big word, I might go with shorter version; stiffy

It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    I think people that can afford a Bucksaw will buy one over some copycat.
    Those who can't were never potential Bucksaw customers and this won't run Salsa out of business.
    I agree with this. It seems unlikely that people who can afford the Bucksaw will cross shop both a Bucksaw and a generic copy.

Regardless, there are lots of intellectual property laws out there to ensure that there is an incentive to innovate. If aspects of a frame design are truly innovative, these aspects should be patented. If a patent isn't possible, buyers should consider if the design is truly innovative. If generic frame makers copy the frame and sell it regardless of patent or copyright, at least they'll be locked out of legitimate distribution channels in the US. All businesses face these trade offs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As the guy who owns the URL styphcycles.com, I'm a little (very little) miffed. The web site actually deals with the build-up of various Chinese blank frames I've put together for my friends. The name comes from an exchange between one of my buds and someone working for one of the Chinese sellers, I think "she" went by Anna. In any case, upon completing his order for one of the first Chinese carbon fully 29ers, she wrote "Enjoy your stiffness"

And styphcycles was born. I urge you all to "Enjoy the styphness!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ordered on January 6 (frame and 29+ rims); Peter says that probably rims can be shipped next week, while frame won't be shipped till the end of chinese new year holidays.
    Anyone else has some updates about delivery times?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    it's my first post I know...I've lurked for over a decade.

I was a part of the first 25, I ordered well in advance of winter 2015. It's not the first time I've dealt xmcarbonspeed, and before that xmiplay. Of all the times i've bought rims from them they've been prompt with timelines and shipping.

I'm surprised the guy above me is going to get his frame before i will. My frame is not slated to leave until mid march. I've had my wheels for a while now. I've got a full xt 11sp drivetrain waiting to go on. A bluto and a monarch and nexl sl fat cranks too. Believe it or not, I even have a race face dropper waiting.

Lets get that through our heads. Mid March. I was a bought into the first run. I had a hard tail Apollo Stout Fat bike that I sold to fund this bike. I haven't had a fatbike all winter, I've been riding shop demos. I hate riding my shop demos.

Mid March - From october to december to "we hope before chinese new years" to mid march.

I appreciate WHY it's taking so long, something that I suspect people who weren't in the first 25 won't know about, still, i didn't expect to be put in line AFTER someone who came months after.

Mid march. after the snows gone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I posted a link to one that was supposedly ready to go. Did anyone here buy it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    the bucksaw? the aluminum bucksaw? the USED aluminum bucksaw?

edit: i see you've previously linked to a cs-001 frame....i take that back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes. $880 or best offer for a CS-001. As far as I can tell, they had it new and ready to ship. If I intended to buy this frame, I would have bought that one since it was ready to ship with no line, and also a lower price.

But who knows, maybe if one tried to buy it, it was someone representing the factory and you would just get a slot in the queue rather than an immediate shipment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rekx View Post
    it's my first post I know...I've lurked for over a decade.

I was a part of the first 25, I ordered well in advance of winter 2015. It's not the first time I've dealt xmcarbonspeed, and before that xmiplay. Of all the times i've bought rims from them they've been prompt with timelines and shipping.

I'm surprised the guy above me is going to get his frame before i will. My frame is not slated to leave until mid march. I've had my wheels for a while now. I've got a full xt 11sp drivetrain waiting to go on. A bluto and a monarch and nexl sl fat cranks too. Believe it or not, I even have a race face dropper waiting.

Lets get that through our heads. Mid March. I was a bought into the first run. I had a hard tail Apollo Stout Fat bike that I sold to fund this bike. I haven't had a fatbike all winter, I've been riding shop demos. I hate riding my shop demos.

Mid March - From october to december to "we hope before chinese new years" to mid march.

I appreciate WHY it's taking so long, something that I suspect people who weren't in the first 25 won't know about, still, i didn't expect to be put in line AFTER someone who came months after.

Mid march. after the snows gone.
    I think I was misunderstood.
    The delivery date will not be before the Chinese New Year, but I have not a firm date.
    While the rims should be shipped shortly (Peter wrote an email to me yesterday).
    I am very concerned by your post. I thought I could start building by mid-March, but I do not think it will be possible.
    Certainly, if the frame will not be sent by the end of February , I will ask a refund.
    Anyone else with some feedback?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Peter is the best one to answer the reason for the delay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Why he don't answer?
    Is he your friend?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckycncc View Post
    Why he don't answer?
    Is he your friend?
    I have no idea why Peter is not commenting.

I am as much as a friend of Peter's as anyone that has paid someone a few hundred dollars for something is.

Addict
    I have been following this closely as I would be willing to take the leap if the timing was right. I would love to have a carbon full squish fatty, looks like unless things change soon a carbon Bucksaw may be my only option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
    I have been following this closely as I would be willing to take the leap if the timing was right. I would love to have a carbon full squish fatty, looks like unless things change soon a carbon Bucksaw may be my only option.
    In my opinion if you have the cash to afford a carbon bucksaw I would go that route. This frame is more for the DIY person that is willing to take chance based on cost.

Addict
    In my opinion if you have the cash to afford a carbon bucksaw I would go that route. This frame is more for the DIY person that is willing to take chance based on cost.
    I can appreciate that. Just because I can afford it doesn't mean that is the route that I prefer to go. I am about as DIY as they come and enjoy the hunt and build as much as I do the end outcome and riding. Needless to say, just because of logistics, I may be limited to finding a CBS frame to start my project. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Do you know the reason of delay?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Do you know the reason of delay?
    Yes I know of a reason and no I will not post why.
    As I mentioned in earlier posts the details are Peter's to give if he wants. But the delay is making a better product.
    Last edited by KenPsz; 01-26-2016 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yes I know of a reason and no I will not post why.
    As I mentioned in earlier posts the details are Peter's to give if he wants. But the delay is making a better product.
    I don't understand...
    If it's for a good reason (better product), why Peter and you don't answer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't understand...
    If it's for a good reason (better product), why Peter and you don't answer?
    Not my place to answer, I don't work for Peter I am just a customer. Plus I don't feel like being the target of the grief that could potentially follow, this forum is has proven if there are any negatives people jump on those and that becomes the focus. Me I am very happy (so far) with Peter's customer service with this frame, remember I had one in hand.

Now why Peter is not answering I don't know, send him an e-mail or a PM and he might let you know. Then you can tell the rest of us why he is not posting in this thread.
    Last edited by KenPsz; 01-26-2016 at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Not my place to answer, I don't work for Peter I am just a customer. Plus I don't feel like being the target of the grief that could potentially follow, this forum is has proven if there are any negatives people jump on those and that becomes the focus. Me I am very happy (so far) with Peter's customer service with this frame, remember I had one in hand.

I do not want to mislead into thinking i'm unhappy with the customer service. I am not. It is exemplary. You will not find better customer service from any bike company - I would know, I deal with some big ones everyday.

What frustrates me is the timing of delivery. I want to ride my fatbike in snow. I bought it thinking i'd have it for the beginning of the season, now it doesn't look like i'll have it until the end. At the time it was the only reasonably priced full suspension option - carbon or otherwise. If the season passes before the frame arrives, I may as well have waited to see what comes in 2016-17.

I will patiently wait for my frame to arrive, knowing that the people @xmcarbonspeed are doing their best to make it happen. That being said, it's been a long wait (for legitimate reasons), and this experience has left me sour being on the cutting edge of Chinese tech. Next time around I'll probably let someone else be a part of tbe beta test. I will continue to buy rims from xmcarbonspeed, because I believe without a doubt that they stand behind their product 100%.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Making this kind of thing is really complex. There are any number of things that can go wrong.

It is people with the *most* money that should be buying this. People who can afford to lose it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    This is a good way to look at it as well...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I want it to be good. I want one if you all like it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you want the newest you pay for it, and you buy it from the big dogs. If you want the newest but want to try to save somehow, today you have the Chinese option for frames (this doesn't exist in most industries, not for cutting edge tech), but there's a risk that goes with it. If you want to forego that risk, you need to buy from the main OEM's. It's unfortunate but just how it is. I agree the Chinese bike customer service is phenominal! But, yep there could be delays, could be missing parts, carbon failures, etc....and with that, maybe not even more so than we'd fine with the big manufacturers, but it's nonetheless noticeable. I just built a 29+ hard tail with a Chinese carbon and am satisfied and am now watching this thread on full suspension carbon fat bikes. Keep in mind there are maybe 2 29+ full suspension bikes on the market and what, 1 full suspension fat bike? It'll still be fun in the summer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Rims shipped today. I've ask some info about frame delivery date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I do not want to mislead into thinking i'm unhappy with the customer service. I am not. It is exemplary. You will not find better customer service from any bike company - I would know, I deal with some big ones everyday.

What frustrates me is the timing of delivery. I want to ride my fatbike in snow. I bought it thinking i'd have it for the beginning of the season, now it doesn't look like i'll have it until the end. At the time it was the only reasonably priced full suspension option - carbon or otherwise. If the season passes before the frame arrives, I may as well have waited to see what comes in 2016-17.

I will patiently wait for my frame to arrive, knowing that the people @xmcarbonspeed are doing their best to make it happen. That being said, it's been a long wait (for legitimate reasons), and this experience has left me sour being on the cutting edge of Chinese tech. Next time around I'll probably let someone else be a part of tbe beta test. I will continue to buy rims from xmcarbonspeed, because I believe without a doubt that they stand behind their product 100%.
    I completely agree with not being a bleeding edge adopter again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Middle of march, snow's all gone, still don't have my bike

I just about don't care anymore and am ready to blow this all out of the water with those priveledged images that were sent to us....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have heard from Peter concerning my frame and I should see it back in my hands late March or early April.

The frames do exist and Peter is making sure of two things before they are sent back to those of us that already received delivery and other ones are sent out.

1) The frames are up to the task of AM type of riding. The first batch was not and that is being corrected. Nothing like a downhill rider being the tester for the frame.

2) Peter is making sure that quality control is up to standards since more control was needed than a normal MTB frame.

So if anything Peter is guilty of being overly optimistic about how quickly this frame could be created and in the hands of customers. So what if he is delayed 6 months I rather have a quality product than a rushed one where I am SOL if it breaks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    So F'n what. At the end of the day I still don't have a bike and the snows gone. Tried getting a refund too, but instead that request was ignored.

To put things into perspective:

The Devinci Hendrixes I ordered in for this season arrived at the shop two days ago. I should have given up on this BS months ago and just put an extra Hendrix on order for myself. End cost to ME would have been the same, if not slightly better for the Hendrix after USD conversion has been considered.

When the option was first given to me during bike booking season last year, I was sure I'd have this bike by then. HAH. Egg on my face this time.

It's not like I had a chance to ride this bike in the snow anyway. I'm glad they took my hard earned dollars for the last 5-6 months with f all to show for it.

Who is this downhill rider testing the bike? He's not someone I've ever heard of, nor is the company who's buying these frames big enough to have a big name rider. He's Joe Shmoe as far as i'm concerned. Don't they do stress analysis and all that, so that they wont be shearing and cracking tubes? I mean it's not a guessing game, we're in 2016. We have the technology to know how materials react, what shapes are strong and how stress risers build. Shouldn't they have a good idea that the frames aren't going to fail before they put them under (at least 3 different) people ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So F'n what. At the end of the day I still don't have a bike and the snows gone. Tried getting a refund too, but instead that request was ignored.

The Devinci Hendrixes I ordered in for this season arrived at the shop two days ago. I should have given up on this BS months ago and just put an extra Hendrix on order for myself. End cost to ME would have been the same, if not slightly better for the Hendrix after USD conversion has been considered.

When the option was first given to me during bike booking season last year, I was sure I'd have this bike by then. HAH. Egg on my face this time.

It's not like I had a chance to ride this bike in the snow anyway. I'm glad they took my hard earned dollars for the last 5-6 months with f all to show for it.

Who is this downhill rider testing the bike? He's not someone I've ever heard of, nor is the company who's buying these frames big enough to have a big name rider. He's Joe Shmoe as far as i'm concerned. Don't they do stress analysis and all that, so that they wont be shearing and cracking tubes? I mean it's not a guessing game, we're in 2016. We have the technology to know how materials react, what shapes are strong and how stress risers build. Shouldn't they have a good idea that the frames aren't going to fail before they put them under (at least 3 different) people ?
    You're so smart why are you not building frames? You seem to have all the answers.
    We can really criticize only to a point since we don't have the guts to start a business doing this stuff.

Look you bought into a newly designed and manufactured frame like I did, that is a risk from the go. There is a reason most people NEVER buy the first version of anything. I'm used to this type of thing in the software development but this is the first time I have put my own cash on the line.

Now the fact Peter will not giving you a refund that sucks and frankly I have been worried about that myself from the get go. But I took the risk (just like you) and if I got screwed I figured that was shame on me for taking this risk to start with.

Plus to be pissed off is going to get you what? Not going to get you your frame any faster and looks like your not going to get your cash back sooner either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    People complaining their vaporware from across the pond isn't going as well as they had hoped, this is awesome entertainment. Although I am sorry for your trouble and I hope everything works out, and everyone either gets their product, or their money back as I know how frustrating it can be to be expecting a product for your hobby you have so much passion for, only to be left with a lighter wallet and the frustration that goes with no product. I do hope it works out for you guys, and quickly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    People complaining their vaporware from across the pond isn't going as well as they had hoped, this is awesome entertainment. Although I am sorry for your trouble and I hope everything works out, and everyone either gets their product, or their money back as I know how frustrating it can be to be expecting a product for your hobby you have so much passion for, only to be left with a lighter wallet and the frustration that goes with no product. I do hope it works out for you guys, and quickly.
    Yes. I feel like there's still threads about people selling their fatty in November because their new one should be here by the time snow falls. Have we learned nothing?!?!

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Yes. I feel like there's still threads about people selling their fatty in November because their new one should be here by the time snow falls. Have we learned nothing?!?!
    This! Learn from history folks

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    People don't want to pony up for a Bucksaw, Mutz, or Tuner. Yet expect the exact same quality of service in all regards. Hmm, flaw in that logic one does see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    People don't want to pony up for a Bucksaw, Mutz, or Tuner. Yet expect the exact same quality of service in all regards. Hmm, flaw in that logic one does see.
    Well, they're actually getting great service.

Waiting for products to be available and delivered to end users much longer than the stated lead time isn't unique to Chinese companies in fat bike land.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You have a shop, you have the knowledge, and yet you are still interested in this frame after the first run had failures? Hmm.

BTW folks, FS fat bikes for winter riding are not all that, granted it's a little more comfy, but really the benefit of FS fat bikes is for rough terrain at speed. The most fun for this frame will be when the snow melts.

I love my Mutz, but $2500 with a DB Inline is a grand more than what you guys are spending; though mine gets ridden a bit more than yours

Couldn't you guys go cut rate on a frame from another Taiwan builder? It seems like there are others out there, though they may be made from aluminum: Alutech from Germany.

Personally, I wouldn't risk my time and money on a no name FS fat bike frame in carbon fiber, it's just too much of an unknown, especially for a frame that will receive some serious stress.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Couldn't you guys go cut rate on a frame from another Taiwan builder? It seems like there are others out there, though they may be made from aluminum: Alutech from Germany.
    Would've been an option but there are none out there for a FS Fat Bike. You either to with the 3 major ones that cost a bunch, the BD Gravity that had failures or go hardtail.

Personally, I wouldn't risk my time and money on a no name FS fat bike frame in carbon fiber, it's just too much of an unknown, especially for a frame that will receive some serious stress.
    Peter is supposed to have a good reputation with his other frames thus the reason I took the risk. We will see when the final frame is delivered if that risk was worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    You have a shop, you have the knowledge, and yet you are still interested in this frame after the first run had failures? Hmm.

BTW folks, FS fat bikes for winter riding are not all that, granted it's a little more comfy, but really the benefit of FS fat bikes is for rough terrain at speed. The most fun for this frame will be when the snow melts.

I love my Mutz, but $2500 with a DB Inline is a grand more than what you guys are spending; though mine gets ridden a bit more than yours

Good luck!
    Because you seem to be one of the one's who understand where I stand and where i come from, i'll reply to you.

I love bikes. All of my other bikes are from big manufacturers, and all wear current parts from Shimano that have 3 year warranties (that means XTR and Dura-ace to the uninformed).

AT THE TIME I ORDERED - in August/Sept, this was the only carbon f/s fat bike around, aside from the Salsa. The other ones weren't even a blip on my radar. I can't get the Salsa.

I owned an Apollo stout until i ordered this frame last year. And yes, I know fat bikes are fun in the dirt too having ridden them in the summer much..

I can't expect anyone to know this from before, but looking at these pictures, do I look like a price sensitive bike shopper? These are the bikes that i have in the same room with me now. Between the 4 of them, they represent 2 sets of i9 wheels, 1 profile mtb hubset, 1 hope hubset (my least spendy wheelset), lots of xtr and dura ace bling....Carbon erytin' else... I don't have a problem spending money on bikes. There's also a Ticket frame that has over 50 hours of stripping, sanding and polishing along with some fine etching as well - All man hours supplied by me. I really like working on bikes.

I love bikes enough that i will blow over 1500 CDN on an unknown to see if it's good. I'll also do it to get on a carbon fs bike a season before any big manufacturer comes to market with one. What I wont do is happily sit by and let month after month pass without anything to show for it. That is what grinds my gears.

Let's all be clear. I spend good money on bikes. I wanted to try something new out. It backfired on me.

Now I'm letting other people know about my experiences thus far.

Just to be clear.

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_20160315_091101.jpgChinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_20160315_091354.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_20160315_091253.jpg  

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_20160315_093611.jpg  

beer thief
    Well, they're actually getting great service...
    I'm not following you here. Taking someone's money and sitting on it for 6 months is not like taking an order & no cash and being late with delivery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not following you here. Taking someone's money and sitting on it for 6 months is not like taking an order & no cash and being late with delivery.
    Everyone who ordered one of these frames is disappointed by delays, but says that peter is providing great communication and service to them.

There's nothing to follow. The people who are actually purchasing the frame are saying it.

That's what I've read, but I could have missed it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There was a recall that is far from being late with delivery, since several people had frames in hand.

If you wanted guaranteed delivery and a no risk frame you should've gone with a major manufacture. Instead you became an investor(like 23 other folks) and at times investors get disappointed.

Yes we floated the cost for R&D we knew that when we sent Peter money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    as an aside....does anyone else see why i was so stoked on this bike? It might be a big wheeled version of my troy...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    as an aside....does anyone else see why i was so stoked on this bike? It might be a big wheeled version of my troy...
    Definitely!

I was super happy when that box showed up, only to be disappointed that I needed to send it back. Let me tell you sending it back was a PITA!!!!

I can also understand why you are not happy that you could not just get your money back.

I am just hoping once we get the frames and ride them this was all worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Trek will have their full boinger fatty ready for sale in just a few very short months......yup. I said it, and I didn't pull it out my backside. Can't wait to see it.

mtbr member
    Do you have any pictures of the Trek?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it will be totally badass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it will be totally badass.
    How much will this badass bike cost? If it is like the 3 major FS Fatties now that is just out of the price range for some.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It will be like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for. This thread is a great example of that. (scratch that, since they didn't get anything at all, but you get my point)

I have no details, so it won't matter what kind of question it is, others on here could guess on the details as well as I can, but it's happening, and that right soon. My bet is, several posters on here know more about it than I, but have chosen to stay silent for some reason. I've known for a few weeks, and I cannot possibly be the only one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It will be like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for. This thread is a great example of that. (scratch that, since they didn't get anything at all, but you get my point)

I have no details, so it won't matter what kind of question it is, others on here could guess on the details as well as I can, but it's happening, and that right soon. My bet is, several posters on here know more about it than I, but have chosen to stay silent for some reason. I've known for a few weeks, and I cannot possibly be the only one.
    So the same old song and dance the bike industry has been trying to do for over 20 yrs of trying to get people to pay $3000 min for a "good" bike.

Only thing Trek is doing that Peter should've done is played the "it's coming we promise" game and gotten the R&D all worked out before releasing the bike.

Yeah I'll stay with this frame and see how it goes and if anything just stay with my Giant 29er that I paied $1300 for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    No, Trek isn't doing that at all. You heard it from me, not Trek. You should never mention Peter and Trek in the same sentence unless it's to say, "Peter cannot possibly ever compare to Trek". When you give your hard earned money to a company like Trek, or Specialized, you get this thing called a BIKE!!!! Not the run around for months and no chance of a refund and somebody who forgets how to speak English when a problem arises and can actually be reached by phone or email and returns both types of messages.

Consumers complaining about the cost of something, gee that's original. I have a great idea, don't buy it if it offends you so much. Stick with your vaporware.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No, Trek isn't doing that at all. You heard it from me, not Trek. You should never mention Peter and Trek in the same sentence unless it's to say, "Peter cannot possibly ever compare to Trek". When you give your hard earned money to a company like Trek, or Specialized, you get this thing called a BIKE!!!! Not the run around for months and no chance of a refund and somebody who forgets how to speak English when a problem arises and can actually be reached by phone or email and returns both types of messages.

Consumers complaining about the cost of something, gee that's original. I have a great idea, don't buy it if it offends you so much. Stick with your vaporware.
    Wow someone is a bit touchy. :-)

Yes I will stick with my vaporeware since I know frame exists I had one at my home in my basement. Peter requested I send it back, like a recall from ANY bike frame creator when there is a problem.

Big companies like Trek, Specialized, Giant etc.. just let others take the risk and then when they jump in they do longer R&D. That wait and see approach has worked out very well for those companies.

Now at this point would I prefer an aluminum frame, yeah but I will be an adult and be patient waiting for my improved frame to arrive.

But hey feel free to fork over thousands of dollars to bike companies that hire companies like Peter does to build those bikes for hundreds of dollars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, I hope the frames work out, I think it's a nice option to have, though it sucks that folks are waiting a long time for the frame. That said, it would have been worse if everyone got their frame on time and they all failed. Maybe the delay is a disguised blessing?

Not to mention, the more fat full suspension available, the better our choices and perhaps this will bump fork production...

Speaking of which: Rekx, you need to ditch the Bluto and get a Wren.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trek will have their full boinger fatty ready for sale in just a few very short months......yup. I said it, and I didn't pull it out my backside. Can't wait to see it.
    Any stats?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, I hope the frames work out, I think it's a nice option to have, though it sucks that folks are waiting a long time for the frame. That said, it would have been worse if everyone got their frame on time and they all failed. Maybe the delay is a disguised blessing?
    This is how I am personally looking at the rework of the frame. Could've been worse and been like the BD Gravity where BD just ignored the fact frames were failing until enough people complained.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Did you come in here just to crap on these poor sods waiting for their bikes?

Maybe just go make a new thread about the one you know about...

move on up...
    Any stats?
    Fox 34, 197 thru axles that's all I heard

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Forged1 View Post
    Fox 34, 197 thru axles that's all I heard
    Aww man, 197mm rear end, why would they do that? A full suspension fatty does not need five inch tires, 177 fat chainstays are already a problem with heel/ankle strike.

My dream bike: Short chainstays ~ 17", 83mm BB, slacker HTA 66.5-67 with a 140mm fork, 140 rear travel, alternator drops with enough room to run a 29+, high BB (13.75-14") cuz I run flats and I hate pedal strikes.

There's nothing glaringly wrong with the Mutz, it's a great climber and descender, but it's not quite as playful as I'd like. It sure would be nice if the swingarm was shorter. There is certainly space to shorten it by reconfiguring the swingarm bridge/yoke, just not sure about tire clearance at the seat tubes at full compression, maybe a 1/2 longer TT to compensate ...

move on up...
    I tried to pry more and see if it was close to a fuel type and was told it was a farley fully......197 bummed me out too
    I can't wait to get my mitts on the fork though

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That wren looks mighty interesting...however i have a carbon upside down that one of my distributors is itching for me to try!! The only caveat with that fork is that their version is a 100mm travel fork, so we'll see how that works out.

The Bluto came off my Apollo when I returned it to stock and sold it, it's been tinkered with and cold weatherized, so it's a known quantity as i've ridden on it for a season already..

Not to mention, the more fat full suspension available, the better our choices and perhaps this will bump fork production...

Speaking of which: Rekx, you need to ditch the Bluto and get a Wren.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2617.jpgChinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2618.jpg

Just a quick update. I have my fs. fat now, will build it up this week.
    I came home from work trip last night and just only to check the frame & delivery I opened the box. Frame looks good, and linkages are pretty solid.
    Seat post clamp, that is 38,5mm is pretty big.. seat tube measures 37mm from outside. I would say 38,5mm is too big, I will search 37-36,4mm seat clamp and try that. Also 31,6mm seat tube is a bit big with adjustable KS-seat post, but rigid carbon post that I have were pretty solid and didnīt have any play... This post also goes deeper to seat tube...

Frame weight is 2745g with seat clamp and without rear axle.

Will see what I need to make or repair... Upper suspension bolt (8x40mm) were crooked/8.11mm from diameter on end, so it did not go through suspension bush.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    SWEET!!!!!! that means mine should be coming!

beer thief
    So F'n what. At the end of the day I still don't have a bike and the snows gone. Tried getting a refund too, but instead that request was ignored...
    Everyone who ordered one of these frames is disappointed by delays, but says that peter is providing great communication and service to them....
    I guess I interpret the above post from rekx differently than you. Great communication & service is not ignoring a request for a refund. No big deal either way. I hope the frames work out for these guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Mine too!!!

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2617.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	1057135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2618.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	1057136

Just a quick update. I have my fs. fat now, will build it up this week.
    I came home from work trip last night and just only to check the frame & delivery I opened the box. Frame looks good, and linkages are pretty solid.
    Seat post clamp, that is 38,5mm is pretty big.. seat tube measures 37mm from outside. I would say 38,5mm is too big, I will search 37-36,4mm seat clamp and try that. Also 31,6mm seat tube is a bit big with adjustable KS-seat post, but rigid carbon post that I have were pretty solid and didnīt have any play... This post also goes deeper to seat tube...

Will see what I need to make or repair... Upper suspension bolt (8x40mm) were crooked/8.11mm from diameter on end, so it did not go through suspension bush.
    talk about teaser pics...a box and 1/8th of the bike

mtbr member
    So it comes from the factory already borked?

try anything on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scot_douglas View Post
    So it comes from the factory already borked?
    Seems like this is just going to be the case for these frames. Hope you guys are able to get your money back if they aren't perfect. I for one would never accept a frame that jade bent parts, even if it was just a bolt. That makes me wonder how hard they tried to mash it in there. Send it back, ask for new one or money.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For everyone's reference small Bucksaw AL with just shock = 2840g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can we get better pictures of the frame and a completed bike?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    @now
    Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-image.jpg

For those who cant make&fix or manufac. parts... Has always had other options... To me this is just a easy project to get my mind of work...

It is not, I mean not by far ready yet. And it's 00:49 am here now... I go to sleep now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Jukahia can you post the bottom bracket and headset you used?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2645.jpg
    This is already in topic, and also I am not going to answer You all who does not search any info... I just do not have the time.

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2650.jpg

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2653.jpg
    BB is 100mm BSA and I have Race Face Turbine + Turbine BB for 170 rear. Fits great and both sides have around +5 mm clearance. Havenīt measure this...

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2657.jpg

Rear has also space ! I test fitted already 26" D5 + nextie 65 mm wheel, and there is lotīs of space. Now I have Hodag 27,5x"3,8" (93mm Wide) and 755mm tall tires on and there is lots of space..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Waiting anxiously for some ride reports. I suspect I will have one of these before winter hits.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Jukahia thanks for the info!

I totally forgot you had posted that information but that was 5 months ago.

For anyone else the list of his parts and others are on page 6

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike - Page 6- Mtbr.com

Also it will be interesting how you compare this to your Salsa.
    Last edited by KenPsz; 03-17-2016 at 06:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yes, also here is quick update on those;

-Bluto rct3 120mm
    -Manitou Swinger SPV 6Way Coil Or RS monarch.. 1000g Or 215g, both new ( Both are from sale... so -70% to -55 % prices.. ) These shocks I have bought to look & test what would be the best option...
    -Xt 11 speed, shifter & rear derail.
    -10-42 Sram cassette, XG-1150 395g
    -Race Face Turbine + Oval 32 ring + RF BSA 100 BB All new. 600g cranks+100g chainring + 100g bb
    - Sram chain 11 speed PC-X1
    -shimano SLX brakes & 180 /160
    -Cane 40 headset ( Frame takes IS 42 / IS 52 )
    -Hugo 52 27.5 x 50 wheelset vol.2 (2240g) & Hodag 3,8" tyres

Both wheelsets ( I now have 26" Hope+Nextie65 set) have same hubs, so I can convert both wheelsets to fit Beargrease2 Or CS001.
    So tyres that I will/can currently use, will be
    Front; Bud, JumboJim 4.8", Dillinger 5 (studs) or Hodag 3.8"x 27.5
    Rear; Dunderbeist 4.7", Barbegazi 4.7", Dillinger 5 (studs) or Hodag 3.8"x 27.5

Hopefully there will be more 27.5 x "3.8" options... And will se how they fit... My calculations say that these fit...But I know for sure when I have test drive them all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I wonder if a 29+ like a Chupacabra would fit in the rear?
    Anyone try?

This place needs an enema
    ...Bucksaw Carbon... ...this isn't a licensed copy, or unless I'm misinterpreting the few pictures available, this does nothing but stifle innovation by undercutting the people who designed and developed the bike in the first place. This is neither fair nor good for the development of our sport.

Just scrolling through here while eating lunch, and this "argument" caught me out for it's irony. Salsa has been one of the biggest thieves of other people's ideas/designs/intellectual property. Maybe that's what has gotten them to a place where they can afford to pay for "actual" designs, instead of being a me-too catalog company.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    STIFFI is alive... And I like it.
    Saddle is adjusted to Beargrease2, this is just a test drive... Tomorrow I am driveing this like I stole it... With hodag & D5 studs

Bar needs 25mm / head... Now 720mm carbon CB

14.4kg heavy, with xt pedals.

Chain clearance with 11speed & Oval 32 that is 2mm inner than normal 32 chainring... Will measure whats left with D5 tire, but I think plenty...
    ... again 00:40 need to sleep now, as kids will pull me up after 6 hours, but I am keeping a day of from office tomorrow that I can drive this

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update,

I have now had +60 km of trail riding. Trails has been quite smooth, as there is snow but I have also found good down hills & rocks etc.

I have RS monarch 4.2 rear shock, tune A, and I have reduce air canister it to normal volume. I really like the progress it has. I can use it fully open and still pedal hard to uphill with out lots of pogoing.. Rear feels like a top end, at least for me. I have had Cube HPC race pro 140mm 29ī full sus. last year, and comparing to that this is way better. I have also had other Horst-rear full sus bikes, but this i now found most pedal friendly.
    I have also had zero pedal hits while driving.

I would have the coil shock for this also, but will see if I would test it during summer. As this monarch is so great.

-> Shock bushes are the 22,2mm / both ends, as there is spacers for the lower end.... it really is 44mm wide.

Cane Creek upper head set bearing is too high, there is 2-3 mm cab between frame & top cab. -> I chanced this to IS42 FSA Orbit CE integrated (upper) and now it`s flus. This I had in stock, as 5 years ago I ordered wrong one for one project, and now I found it perfect !

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2879.jpg

VS. Cane...

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2666.jpg

Other issues, rear axle is 130 g and it comes loose while driving, a drop of blue loctite is needed.

Linkage bolts were a bit loose, I started my assembly by taking everything part, and then assembly all with drop of blue loctite in threads + torque wrench to ~12 Nm.

Bearings are 6901 2 RS x 8 pcs. + way too many alumina spacer to measure.

rear swing
    Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2625.jpgChinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2627.jpg

Chain line is good, only thing is that with 32 Oval in front & 11 speed at back, chain crabs a bit to D5 tire when riding down hard...

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2741.jpgChinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2742.jpg

Frame can fit bigger tire easy, there is like 18 mm of space all round D5.

Rock Shock 120 RCT3 Bluto... Hmm.. has loose upper bushes in lower legs, it is making clonking noise.. Reclamation made to R2bike now. Other way I like it, 3-pos drive lever is nice, trail & open is the ones I use + I have 2 pcs. of tokens inside.

Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-img_2766.jpg

mtbr member
    rear swing

Name:	IMG_2625.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1058216
    Looks like wrong lock rings, for outer groove? Correct one for inner groove should be like this?:
    Chinese carbon full suspension fat bike-w01331964721oes.jpg
    doesn't affect the speed

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Jukahia thanks for this update.
    I'm sure your ride reports and details of what works/fits with this frame is invaluable to many here and may persuade some to buy.

Keep us updated on the rear axle coming loose please.

Do you think this is a "defect" or just some other issue like not enough or strong enough loctite ?

I wonder if a certain well known manufacturer of fat suspension frames has this problem with their axle ?
    Better design ? Would it fit Peter's frame ?

Also interesting to note that even "top" manufacturers like Rock Shox have problem products too. Just pointing out to put the Chiner haters in their place

P.S. It does look VERY nice BTW.

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yes, ealex You are correct. Good thing is that these lock rings are there only to support bearings in assy, as the linkage bolts has groove/dimensions to fasten these.

Name:  pultti.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  11.1 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    STIFFI is alive... And I like it.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	1057409

I have now had +60 km of trail riding. Trails has been quite smooth, as there is snow but I have also found good down hills & rocks etc.

Name:	IMG_2766.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	480.1 KB 
ID:	1058220

Could you shead some light on the differences between the two wheelsets please ?

Are the differences major ?

Thanks again .

Fat Biker
    Last edited by Fat Biker; 03-23-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast