Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
Results 3,901 to 4,000 of 4000
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by traditiionalist View Post
    Could you measure from the chainstay to the other side? I'm trying to figure out if my current cranks will work.
    can't measure the cranks like that, but someone else tried Aeffect cranks and said he had only 1-2mm clearance and would bump under load. I have 5-6mm of clearance on each side with the Turbine Cinch, plus it's supposed to be stiffer.

With the Cinch system the Q-factor is set by the spindle length and not adjustable. Spacers are used to set the BB cup spacing and/or to shift the cranks left or right. Once within ~1mm, the threaded pre-load nut is used to take out the slop and pre-load the BB bearings.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
    Got my CS-197 frameset and 85mm wheelset. Looking forward to building it up.
    Attachment 1116436

Attachment 1116435
    Looking nice!

mtbr member
    Thanks fred, I think I might just bite the bullet and get the carbon speed full suspension fatty frame. I do a lot of jumps and drops, and this frame would suit my needs pretty good. Once I have the money together, I'll purchase it. Do the carbon speed bikes come with thru axles?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mine came with the axles, but confirm when purchasing.

mtbr member
    Here is my build thread. Goal was a relatively light weight fat bike I could ride anytime of the year here in New England, so here goes:

After some research I settled on the Carbonspeed 197. I had emailed with Peter about frames and wheelsets and found him to be quite responsive. So I ordered the frame, 029 fork, axles, headset and a 68mm carbon wheelset. Everything arrived about 10 days after ordering. I have to say I was very impressed with how well everything was packed. Wheels came in their own box. It took me a good 15 minutes just to removed the bubble wrap from the frame. Everything looked great. No blemishes. Everything looks finished to a high degree.

My parts list:

Jumbo Jim 4.0 tires tubeless
    RaceFace Next SL crank/BB with a 28T
    RF Next bars
    FSA SL-K stem
    FSA SL-K post
    XTR brakes/Ice tech rotors
    SRAM XX1 shifter/cassette/chain/derailleur
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Time Atac xc-4 pedals

Routing the shifter housing was a slight pain. Definitely easiest back to front. Those chainstays are narrow! Brake line much easier. Awaiting a stem before cutting the steerer tube. Wt. 23.4lbs.

Few pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    cevans like idparts?

Fat bike related, I am about to order a cs-197 frame. I have a RM Blizzard but my heart's been on a carbon frame for a while.

I saw somebody mention a 180 rotor on the back. Is it possible to just fun a 160?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xbiker423 View Post
    cevans like idparts?

Fat bike related, I am about to order a cs-197 frame. I have a RM Blizzard but my heart's been on a carbon frame for a while.

I saw somebody mention a 180 rotor on the back. Is it possible to just fun a 160?
    I thought that poster followed up that his mount adapter was reversed? Regardless, I test fit mine and it's aligned for a 160mm rotor.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Ah, I had missed that. Additionally, thanks for taking the effort to check yours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have a FM190 and i am looking for a quick release seat post clamp. Does anyone have one they recommend and know will fit. I just want a black one and not sure expensive if possible.

thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Starting a new build with the new DengFu FM191 frame. the frame has not arrived but i did get the new 65mm carbon wheels. finish is awesome and the weight is pretty good. the spokes are straight gauge so there is some weight to be lost there. I put all the bits and pieces on them and mounted the JJ 4.0 LS tires. the 4.0 looks to give good rim protection and and a nice rounded profile. should be super fast this summer.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_8421.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_8420.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_8419.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_8418.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_8437.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_8435.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    My CS 197 frame came on Friday so I've been building it up this weekend. I have the Next SL G4 crankset with 170mm arms and 170mm spindle spacing. I have millimeters of clearance for the arms (maybe 3mm) and much less once I put the little crank boots on. It certainly isn't as much as what people are posting with the Turbine Cinch @ 170mm spacing. Should I ride it and see how it goes, or just spring for the 190mm spindle? I'm a light rider, maybe 130# fully kitted.

BB setup: one spacer on NDS, 2 on Drive side
    Crank: 1 spacer NDS, 1 spacer DS

Thank you

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My CS 197 frame came on Friday so I've been building it up this weekend. I have the Next SL G4 crankset with 170mm arms and 170mm spindle spacing. I have millimeters of clearance for the arms (maybe 3mm) and much less once I put the little crank boots on. It certainly isn't as much as what people are posting with the Turbine Cinch @ 170mm spacing. Should I ride it and see how it goes, or just spring for the 190mm spindle? I'm a light rider, maybe 130# fully kitted.

Thank you
    When did you order yours? I ordered mine in January and still hasn't arrive?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You should ride it and let us know if there's any flex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The Turbine's have a +20mm wider Q factor. So I'd assume the inside clearance has got to be close to +20mm as well.

The 190mm next SL may not be that much wider than a 170mm Turbine.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash04 View Post
    When did you order yours? I ordered mine in January and still hasn't arrive?
    Weird. I ordered it I think the first week of Feb. If I were you, I'd get in touch with the seller. Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    You should ride it and let us know if there's any flex.
    I think I may end up doing that, but since I'm placing a parts order I'm going to throw a 190 spindle on the list just in case. I wish there was a 180 version offered.

Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    The Turbine's have a +20mm wider Q factor. So I'd assume the inside clearance has got to be close to +20mm as well.

I was really stoked to have a smaller Q factor and ridiculously light cranks, but it doesn't seem that I'll be able to have my cake and eat it, too. The Turbine q factor in 170 spindle length is smaller than the Next in 190 (which makes sense). I guess I will just have to deal with the larger Q of the SL @ 190mm. I'm really hoping that it doesn't flex and I can keep it at 170. Unfortunately, I ordered the wrong headset for the frame so I'm waiting on that to come in before I can finish the build.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Weird. I ordered it I think the first week of Feb. If I were you, I'd get in touch with the seller. Good luck with it!
    Wow! that was quick, I ordered mine thru Peter, it's on the way but didn't leave there till the 16th after I bug him a couple of times since he told me that it was going to be ship on the 7th.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Wow! that was quick, I ordered mine thru Peter, it's on the way but didn't leave there till the 16th after I bug him a couple of times since he told me that it was going to be ship on the 7th.
    I thought so, too. It only took five days to get here, too (I'm in VT). Overall I was satisfied with the process. Peter seemed pretty good to deal with. I went with EMS shipping, and they end up being delivered via USPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    FWIW, My Yampa chainstay clearance is 4.5 mm drive side and 5.5 mm non drive side with boots and 170 spindle on Next SL. It never rubs.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My Turbine arms with 170 spindle have ~3mm of clearance on my CS-197, with the plastic end caps on the cranks. I can't believe there is a 20mm difference in Q-factor from the Next SL cranks. That simply has to be a typo.

I will add that I can't detect any flex in the frame nor the cranks.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    From the PDF I've found it's a 10mm difference

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post

No.
    The actual arms have 10mm difference, and RF have made it so they don't share the same q

Next sl: 169,5mm spindle = 203mm q
    Turbines: 169,5mm spindle = 213mm q
    Next sl: 189,5mm spindle = 223mm q
    Turbines: 189,5mm spindle = 233mm q

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't think I could run Next SL cranks on my CS-197 without the longer spindle. I'm certain that I couldn't lose 5mm on each side. Luckily for me I prefer the Turbines.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I just got the bike finished tonight and I went for a quick spin. There definitely isn't enough clearance for 170mm spaced Next SL crank on the CS 197 frameset. So I'm going to have to swap it out for the 190mm spindle. Bummer. At least it's light.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just got the bike finished tonight and I went for a quick spin. There definitely isn't enough clearance for 170mm spaced Next SL crank on the CS 197 frameset. So I'm going to have to swap it out for the 190mm spindle. Bummer. At least it's light.
    That sucks, indications seemed to be that 170s would fit if you were going to run a 1x setup. I went with the 190 just in case, but afterwards was starting to regret it, as I thought I could have gotten away with a 170. Will be installing tonight.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Maybe without the crank boots it would work. And you might be able to stick a really thin shim to help space things out? If they had the same Q as the turbines, it would work. Or a 180mm spindle.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Anyways, got the CS-197 built up tonight. Went together pretty well. Pics tomorrow. Front triangle is bigger, so I need a bigger revelate bag, even though I had a size "L". Relatively easy to run internal cables when you're starting with a bare frame, no need to drop the fork, take the cranks out, etc.

22.69lbs in race config with 65mm rims and dillinger 4s.

I just rebuilt my 90mm LB rim this morning with a 197 hub for my D5s, those will go back on as soon as my tubeless tape is set.

Size large frame was 1396g on my postal scale.

Set up like in picture:
    135mm Lamere carbon fork (see no reason to go 150 at this time)
    XTR M9000 rear derailleur
    XTR M9000 brakes
    XT M8000 shifter pod
    XT pedals
    Next SL cranks (190mm) 32t
    RF 30mm BSA BB
    CB cobalt 780mm carbon bar
    No-name carbon seatpost
    Selle san marco aspide saddle

Wheels:
    F LB 65mm rim, sapim laser spokes, alloy nipples, hope fatsno pro 4
    R LB 65mm rim, sapim laser spokes, alloy nipples, DT 350 with 1up mini-driver
    Hope 10-40 cassette
    Ashima Ai2 rotors
    Dillinger 4 tires

alternate

F LB 90mm rim, sapim laser spokes, alloy nipples, hope fassno pro 2
    R LB 90mm rim, sapim laser spokes, alloy nipples, hope fatsno pro 4
    w/XTR 11-40 cassette
    Ashima AirRotors
    Dillinger 5 tires

Chinese Carbon fatty-01b515234023ab1e4912e3dc933c549be132d4b2cc.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-0135c4002932f1cc6be53b9e8735b7cfd512303613.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-01b5516142540b53c9fa651d81d52a859e372413fb.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-0160b6ece0afba8efb802682911a7b72f67c00a3ab.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-01e7df1bbd8af8e2645212a2e5080e1717c8d91153.jpg
    Last edited by Jayem; 02-24-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

passed out in your garden
    Sweet
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sweet, did yours came with pre-routed cables which makes it easier to route your cables? Also did you need to drill out the guides so the cables could fit, had to on mine. The guide's diameter were too small to let the cable housing slide through. I also needed to cleaned the rear brake attaching point threads.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sweet, did yours came with pre-routed cables which makes it easier to route your cables? Also did you need to drill out the guides so the cables could fit, had to on mine. The guide's diameter were too small to let the cable housing slide through. I also needed to cleaned the rear brake attaching point threads.
    No pre-routed cables, but since it was a bare frame, was pretty dang easy to get routed with no headset or BB. Routed derailleur and brakes from rear to front. You can fit your fingers pretty easily in the headtube to guide the cables through to the openings (remove the guides of course). Cables fit through just fine. No issues with rear brake attach threads. Switched it to shorter wheelbase of course, I'd only use the long to fit 2XLs.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got a good 5hr ride in this afternoon. Was very warm today around Anchorage, upper 20s (the reason the snow is sticking). From my house and way up into the hills. Bike rode great. Shoes rub a bit on the cranks.Chinese Carbon fatty-01bb5b036d0065cc5c673d4af88ca12a155d62004d.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I also took my CS 197 out for it inaugural ride yesterday. Parts list:

S frame
    CC 110 heaset 42 upper, 55 lower
    Bluto
    SLXM7000 brakeset
    XTm8000 11 speed shifter and Der (GS cage)
    Sunrace MX8 11-42 cassette
    Next SL G4 crank, 170 arms, 190 spindle
    AB 28T oval direct mount
    Bars from XM Carbon Speed
    No name alloy post
    WTB saddle
    Wheelset is stock Mulefut/Formula from 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, which is what I had ridden prior to building this.
    Tires are flow/dunder

I'm 5'4 and about 130 ready to ride. I tend to keep my tires on terra firma and consider myself a tame rider. I don't think I'm fast, but there are certainly always people behind me on group rides so I can't be slow, either. Or at least the slowest (depending on who I ride with).

My impressions about the frame (my first carbon):

I am bummed the rear axle on the NDS sits right against the carbon. I'd think that there should at least be a thin plate in there to protect the frame.

The rear axle configuration is kind of clunky with the loose axle nut.

On mine, the upper left cable guide by the headtube was sized to act as a cable stop, and only allow a bare cable to go through. I had decided to run my rear Der. cable through that, so I had to open that up to allow the housing through as well. Honestly, I think fully housed internally run cable are silly and that full housing external cables are my preference. There weren't any bladders pre-run like the site's pictures suggest.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the frame. I wish I had ordered some small parts with it when I bought it: spare der. hanger, spare axle nut, spare rear axle plate, so if I ever order a frame again I'll try to remember to do that.

Ride assessment:

Fun! The conditions weren't great yesterday and there was a significant amount of ice which didn't let me really enjoy the ride to its fullest potential, but I still had a blast. It's way lighter than the Blizzard -50 I had ridden previously. I can't imagine what it will be like with a lighter wheelset. Everything worked great. The shifting feel is a little chunky, but I think it will wear in a bit and I really like the double shifting ability. The cassette/chain interface is a little chunky at times, too, but there were plenty of shifts where I didn't think it had actually shifted because the action was so smooth. I'm guessing as everything breaks in it will be better.

The bars are plenty stiff, as is the frame. I feel like this bike just wants to go. It feels very reactive and I'm looking forward to riding it either in good snow conditions (seems unlikely at this point) or on dry trails (since winter can't seem to make up its mind here, I'd rather it just be spring).

My other-other bike is a 2012 Anthem 29er set up 1x10 with SRAM gripshifts and a Wolftooth 42T extender cog. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

Thanks to everyone on here for their help and information they've posted about their experiences. This thread is a great resource.

Elitest thrill junkie

On mine, the upper left cable guide by the headtube was sized to act as a cable stop, and only allow a bare cable to go through. I had decided to run my rear Der. cable through that, so I had to open that up to allow the housing through as well. Honestly, I think fully housed internally run cable are silly and that full housing external cables are my preference. There weren't any bladders pre-run like the site's pictures suggest.

Ride assessment:
    The shifting feel is a little chunky, but I think it will wear in a bit and I really like the double shifting ability. The cassette/chain interface is a little chunky at times, too, but there were plenty of shifts where I didn't think it had actually shifted because the action was so smooth. I'm guessing as everything breaks in it will be better.
    I didn't even try the upper lever guide since I'm not running a front derailleur and the rear D and brake both route through the downtube. If anyone gets this though, I strongly suggest running the cables on the bare frame before you do anything else, that's the easiest way to do it, rather than install BB, cranks, headset, fork, etc.

I will say I'm not blown away by the XT/XTR drivetrain I have as far as shifting performance. I was hoping for similar to my X1/X01 on my pivot, but it's "clunky" and generally doesn't feel as positive or quality. It's not horrible of course, but I was expecting better and SRAMs function for removing the rear wheel is far better. The XTR derailleur and cinch chainring did keep my chain on yesterday, something I've never had a problem with on my SRAM setups, but it's a good test of the chainline and clutch function, so that works.

mtbr member
    I've got a bunch of rides on mine and love it. 23.1 lbs with cages and pedals. I had to use a 190mm spindle on mine Next SL cranks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I just received my CS197 frame, 120mm Bluto on the way. I am looking at FSA and Cane Creek headsets but not sure which size or which one I need to go with. This is my first bike build,and having a hard time locating this info, any help would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KAS811 View Post
    I just received my CS197 frame, 120mm Bluto on the way. I am looking at FSA and Cane Creek headsets but not sure which size or which one I need to go with. This is my first bike build,and having a hard time locating this info, any help would be greatly appreciated!
    The Cane Creek headset I installed on mine is IS42/28.6 IS52/40. It fit up nicely. Cost around $50.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Make sure you get an integrated style (that's what the IS stands for).

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks guys for the help, ordered the Cane Creek mentioned by Outlander above.
    Last edited by KAS811; 03-04-2017 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cs197

Getting mine built up. XT/XTR 1x11, Bluto. Frame and wheels from carbon speed. 1.5" Thudbuster (cuz I'm old). Almost ready for the trail.
    Chinese Carbon fatty-img_20170304_205150.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2010

What Crank size did you use (170 or 190) from RF?

What Crank size did you use (170 or 190) from RF?
    Flipped Chainring?
    Or did you find that the SRAM fatbike crank fits?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    190mm Race Face Aeffect. Got a King 24mm bb and have 2 spacers on each side of the bb. The crank came with 10mm spacers that are also used, on on each side. I'm going to dial the chainline a little (waiting for the crank puller for this crank) where I use 3 spacers on non-drive side, and 1 on drive side.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My frame arrived from Dengfu fm191, in 7 days! Will build up ASAP and report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nice looking bike, Jayem, et al. I'm loving my CS-197. I still need to cut the steerer and build up my carbon wheels but the spec fatboy wheels I'm rolling have Hope hubs and work just fine for now. Unfortunatly all our snow is gone in southern NH so my sweetheart may stay inside until next winter unless we get more.

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Where in SNH are you? I'm up in Hanover, by Dartmouth. All the trails here are either dirt or ice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Where in SNH are you? I'm up in Hanover, by Dartmouth. All the trails here are either dirt or ice.
    West of Nashua. We had some ice but most or all of that is gone now, depending on location and sun coverage.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just dropping in to share my experience. After a quick bit of research, I decided to pick up a CS-197 frame and fork. I emailed Peter on January 31'st, got a quote 24 hours later and ordered the frame shortly thereafter. It shipped on February 7th and arrived at my post office on February 14th.

The box was sturdy...

And it was well packaged.

The frame itself was finished well as was the fork.

The cable ports were of a better quality than I've seen on many mainstream manufactures frames.

The axles and dropout "chips" were of an acceptable quality, but not something I would brag about.

I built it up with a Bud and Lou on 80mm carbon hoops laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs.
    Sram NX cassette
    X-1 Chain
    GX rear derailleur
    X1 Shifter
    Turbine Cinch crankset (190) with 30t chainring
    Crank Brothers Candy pedals
    Guide RS Brakes
    180mm front rotor
    160mm rear rotor
    Atlas handlebars @780mm
    Oury grips
    Race Face Aeffect stem
    Cane Creek 40 series headset
    eTen Dropper
    Chromag Lynx saddle

I'm in the upper 20's for weight.

I have about 60-100 miles on it and I'm pretty impressed so far. I have the dropouts in the rear/long position. I'm enjoying the added stability of the longer wheelbase, but I may move them forward for some added agility. We're expecting temperatures in the low 60's for the foreseeable future, so I may not get out on it again this season. Let me know if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    @Coderunner Beautiful bike and nice build! I'm jealous of the bike and the Jeep!

Has anyone purchased bars/stem/seatpost from XMCarbonspeed? I'm curious as to what he's charging. I just bought a Sarma Shaman frame and will be building it over the next few months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    @Coderunner Beautiful bike and nice build! I'm jealous of the bike and the Jeep!

Has anyone purchased bars/stem/seatpost from XMCarbonspeed? I'm curious as to what he's charging. I just bought a Sarma Shaman frame and will be building it over the next few months.
    Hi Pack66, you may contact Peter and ask for quotation directly, it seems the prices on their carbonspeedbikes.com website have already included PayPal fee. I bought my frameset and components more than 1 year ago, I emailed him and sent payment to their PayPal account directly.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Headset for FM 191

Guys, just got my Dengfu 191 in the post.
    It looks amazing.
    It's my first carbon bike.
    The headset I pulled out of my Motobecane Night Train (internal zero stack, 1.25 top, 1.5 bottom) do not seem to be working. The top bearing sits above the frame 1-2 mm.

What do I need!?!?! Please help.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Shift cable housing

Nevermind on the headset. I got that sorted out. In my excitement to put the bike together I forgot that I ordered a headset with the frame!

HOWEVER,
    Again this is my first carbon bike and for anyone who put this together do you run the cable housing all the way through the frame of the bike or just up near the headset and Outback near the rear derailleur? So like two pieces that are maybe 12 inches each maximum. Because I can't seem to run my 4 millimeter cable through there. Thank you!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tristero View Post
    Nevermind on the headset. I got that sorted out. In my excitement to put the bike together I forgot that I ordered a headset with the frame!

HOWEVER,
    Again this is my first carbon bike and for anyone who put this together do you run the cable housing all the way through the frame of the bike or just up near the headset and Outback near the rear derailleur? So like two pieces that are maybe 12 inches each maximum. Because I can't seem to run my 4 millimeter cable through there. Thank you!
    Two 12" pieces? That sounds odd as heck. It's likely like all other carbon frames with internal cables, they run the housing AND the cable inside the frame. It's slightly tricky to run the cable housing through, but a lot easier with no bottom bracket and no headset. Run them from the rear up above the BB up through the downtube, then you'll be able to fish them through the ports fairly easily near the headtube. It also helps if you pop the little ports off, but you need to make sure you run the cable housing through the ports before and after putting the housing through the frame. At some point, you'll probably forget this and miss one of the ports and have to yank the cables out to put it back through. Part of the learning process.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just got my dengfu fm191. We're you able to run the shifting cable completely through the frame? Mine seems to stop the entire housing right up at the head tube and chainatays, so that I could only run from shifter to frame, and RD to frame...like 2 separate 12 inch pieces...?

mtbr member
    On my SN02 I was putting just cable into frame housing for rear shifter, there was no way to put additional housing there as input/exit holes were few mm wide (like 1 or 2mm), and input/exit caps are part of the frame (non removable). I was using housing caps on each frame exit side (they fit nicely into input/exit caps of frame) and added external housing to run to shifter and derailer. Works great.
    I guess it depends on frame design, some require housing inside some not (provide builtin one).

Sent from my SM-G900F

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I just finished building a my 3rd dengfu fat bike and it was a FM191. the housing stopped at the frame inlet and just the cable goes through the frame. my first FM190 is about 2 years old now and i have no issues with the shifting from this setup. and it looks really clean too

Quote Originally Posted by tristero View Post
    Just got my dengfu fm191. We're you able to run the shifting cable completely through the frame? Mine seems to stop the entire housing right up at the head tube and chainatays, so that I could only run from shifter to frame, and RD to frame...like 2 separate 12 inch pieces...?
    Chinese Carbon fatty-untitled.jpg

mtbr member
    12k carbon is still not available yet?!
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Runner View Post
    Just dropping in to share my experience. After a quick bit of research, I decided to pick up a CS-197 frame and fork. I emailed Peter on January 31'st, got a quote 24 hours later and ordered the frame shortly thereafter. It shipped on February 7th and arrived at my post office on February 14th.

The box was sturdy...

And it was well packaged.

The frame itself was finished well as was the fork.

The cable ports were of a better quality than I've seen on many mainstream manufactures frames.

The axles and dropout "chips" were of an acceptable quality, but not something I would brag about.

I built it up with a Bud and Lou on 80mm carbon hoops laced to Hope Pro 4 hubs.
    Sram NX cassette
    X-1 Chain
    GX rear derailleur
    X1 Shifter
    Turbine Cinch crankset (190) with 30t chainring
    Crank Brothers Candy pedals
    Guide RS Brakes
    180mm front rotor
    160mm rear rotor
    Atlas handlebars @780mm
    Oury grips
    Race Face Aeffect stem
    Cane Creek 40 series headset
    eTen Dropper
    Chromag Lynx saddle

I'm in the upper 20's for weight.

I have about 60-100 miles on it and I'm pretty impressed so far. I have the dropouts in the rear/long position. I'm enjoying the added stability of the longer wheelbase, but I may move them forward for some added agility. We're expecting temperatures in the low 60's for the foreseeable future, so I may not get out on it again this season. Let me know if you have any questions.

Awesome photography !!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Anybody fit a Vee Snowshoe 2XL on the CS-197?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    In doing a google search for the CS-197 it seems there are multiple vendors with the name CarbonSpeed. There is XMCarbonspeed that seems to be the Peter that people are generally happy doing business with and Carbon Speed Bikes | High quality carbon fiber bicycle frames and components that also sells the CS-197 or al least something with the same name. Carbonspeedbikes has a CS-197 on sale for $380 which is attractive but it may not be a vendor with positve feedback here on MTBR. The MTBR search engine finds the phrase Carbonspeedbikes too common to give results.

Any insight for me on these two sellers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Mike,

That's a great question. Both sites have the same contact info. This begs the question as to why they have two web sites ???

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmaguy View Post
    Mike,

That's a great question. Both sites have the same contact info. This begs the question as to why they have two web sites ???
    I guess I'll find out. Ordered from Carbon Speed Bikes | High quality carbon fiber bicycle frames and components

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_kelly View Post
    Yes it appears they are both owned by Peter. Order placed and very responsive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Pretty amazing service for a custom paint job.
    Chinese Carbon fatty-img_20170328_091125.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Pretty amazing service for a custom paint job.
    Hey Mike!
    How long did it take you to get your frame shipped from CarbonSpeed/Peter?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    7 working days. That was with Peter going to the 2017 Taipei Cycle show last week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    7 working days. That was with Peter going to the 2017 Taipei Cycle show last week.
    So frame arrived today. Perfect shape. Beautiful paint.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
    Pics?
    PIc a couple of posts up is the actual frame and it came wrapped just the pics from code runner. A picture Peter sent before it was shipped. The color is a little lighter than the pic which is what my wife wanted.

The headset from Peter was/is pretty cheap and the bottom bearing fell apart on me. It is the same stock headset that came with my 9zero7. So may be just a bad bearing.

I am a little confused on the crown bearing. The crown on the fork is not flat, like for instance my AL fork on my 9zero7. there is a tapered carbon cone coming up to the point that the crown race sits. So the crown race does not sit on the top of the crown flat. I can't see it working any other way and maybe all carbon forks are designed this way but it seems strange.

JJCarr I see you have one maybe you can tell me where I am screwed up. Others in this thread are not looking like they fit like this one, or at least the way I am trying to do it.
    Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1542.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1538.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1539.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The race should be tapered as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by akgrimace View Post
    The race should be tapered as well.

So it does not look like the right crown race to you. Should be something much larger that has a tapered cone to fit over the carbon and then the surface the bearing fits into above?

Is this different than others CS-197 fork crown? Anyone know what the correct race is? I assume it is a IS42/52 but what would the crown race be called?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You probably don't need th crown race. Guessing you tried without one

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I did but it still doesn't look "right". Other pictures in this thread show a pretty tight crown-to-heatube connection. Without a crown race the bearing fits but there is still an 1/8" gap or more.

.Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1545.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1543.jpg

I have a semi-integrated 52 that fits perfectly to the crown but, of course, does not fit the headtube side. I am wondering if this is just the wrong fork for this frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1546.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    It measures out to me to be an IS42/28.6 - IS52/40, It is a FK-019 so it goes with this frame and I am just unfamiliar with what looks to be a built-in crown race. Must need a spacer of some kind to sit under the bearing to take up the gap?

After hours of study I have come to conclusion that this fork has a built-in carbon crown race. It is designed to have the bearing sit right onto it. But I still don't see how it is supposed to fit properly which other users seem to have accomplished. If you have one of these please clue me in.

In looking at my pictures again I wonder if the lower bearing is a 36 low and 45 high bearing. The crown race appears to be 45deg to me and it might not fit down enough if the under bevel was 36 instead of 45. Not sure how to measure that tho.
    Last edited by mike_kelly; 04-08-2017 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    So it does not look like the right crown race to you. Should be something much larger that has a tapered cone to fit over the carbon and then the surface the bearing fits into above?

Is this different than others CS-197 fork crown? Anyone know what the correct race is? I assume it is a IS42/52 but what would the crown race be called?
    My SN01 was the same way. The inside of the race was tapered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by akgrimace View Post
    My SN01 was the same way. The inside of the race was tapered.

SO you did not use a metal lower crown race and did the lower bearing fit over the molded in carbon crown race with out a noticable gap when you put it all together?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hi Mike,

I have cs-197 with a FK-019 and supplied headset from Peter. The lower bearing just sits on top on the fork. So there is no crown race as such.

From what I remember the assembly went top to bottom like this ->

1. Top cover
    2. thin washer
    3. conical split washer *
    4. Top bearing race *
    5. Head tube of frame
    6. Bottom bearing race *
    7. Fork

* Grease applied where needed

When I did have the FK-019 fork on the bike was no big gap and looked prefect.

If you can't get it together I would bet you have the wrong headset.

SO you did not use a metal lower crown race and did the lower bearing fit over the molded in carbon crown race with out a noticable gap when you put it all together?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerJono View Post
    Hi Mike,

I have cs-197 with a FK-019 and supplied headset from Peter. The lower bearing just sits on top on the fork. So there is no crown race as such.

From what I remember the assembly went top to bottom like this ->

1. Top cover
    2. thin washer
    3. conical split washer *
    4. Top bearing race *
    5. Head tube of frame
    6. Bottom bearing race *
    7. Fork

* Grease applied where needed

When I did have the FK-019 fork on the bike was no big gap and looked prefect.

If you can't get it together I would bet you have the wrong headset.

Thanks very much for your response
    My lower bearing fits flush in to the lower heatube so it is the right thickness and the top bevel matches the frame. As you can see from one of the pictures above if I put the bottom bearing onto the crown race, without using the metal crown race in the package sent, the bearing does not sit down onto the fork crown as I would expect. Hence if I put it into the frame that way the bearing goes up flush and there is the gap illustrated in the picture above. It is the right diameter bearing so the only thing left is that the inner bevel does not match the crown race. I bought the headset from Peter to avoid this kind of problem. I guess I will have to find a couple of 52mm bearings one advertising 45deg inner and one 36deg inner bevel and see if one fits better than the other since there are no labels on the bearings supplied. Do you happen to remember if the bearing sat down onto the main body of the fork as it settled onto the crown race or was it suspended above part way down the crown race like mine?

Cheers

Formerly of Kent
    Isn't that just an integrated crown race?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    The lower bearing sat on the main body of the fork. Have checked with Peter? He is very helpful.

TDo you happen to remember if the bearing sat down onto the main body of the fork as it settled onto the crown race or was it suspended above part way down the crown race like mine?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerJono View Post
    The lower bearing sat on the main body of the fork. Have checked with Peter? He is very helpful.
    Great thanks for that note. I think now I need to search for the right bottom bearing. Peter doesn't know but he is going to have another user like you let me know their experience but there is no question this is the wrong lower bearing. Thanks again.

LeDuke - yes it is an integrated carbon crown race but the lower bearing does not fit.

mtbr member
    there are 2 different bearing contact angles 45x45 degree or 36x45 degree. the manufacture should be able to point you the correct headset
    16 Trek Farley 5 W/2XL snowshoe
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Giant Simple
    04 SC V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I figured it out. The problem with the bearing that Peter supplied was not that the bevel was wrong. It was the wrong thickness. I talked to Cane Creek (thanks Craig!!) and the Cane Creek bearing of the same general specs 45x45 52mm is not as "tall". It sits on the built-in carbon crown race to the same depth as the supplied bearing but the difference is that the Cane Creek goes up into the headtube further which closes the gap. The supplied bearing when up and was flush with the bottom of the headtube but the Cane Creek bearing went up into the headtube allowing the top of the fork the proper gap to the headtube.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1551.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1551.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

CS-197 and Vee Rubber Snowshoe 2XL

It did not look like there was an answer to this question so here is a half answer.

My 9zero7 won't fit a 2XL in the back but I use one in the front. So I took my front wheel and put the thru axle on it in the back of the CS-197. It looks like the 2XL would fit with ease.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1552.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1553.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1554.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1555.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1556.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My wife did not like the black decals available from Peter so I had some made by www.diylettering.com with her choices. Also I tried a e.13 xcx fat bike crank double for 100mm BB and the arms are too straight and don't clear the stays.

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1567.jpgChinese Carbon fatty-img_1561.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    It did not look like there was an answer to this question so here is a half answer.

My 9zero7 won't fit a 2XL in the back but I use one in the front. So I took my front wheel and put the thru axle on it in the back of the CS-197. It looks like the 2XL would fit with ease.
    Thanks Mike, Is that on 80mm rims or 100mm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    90mm Spesh Fatboys. I am building up pair of 100mm wheels for my new bike and I'll try them when I get them built.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone have the reach/stack dimensions for the small size CSN019. The geometry table doesn't list reach/stack and my email to Carbon speed bounced back.
    CS-N019 26er full carbon fat bike frame frame 150*15mm/190*10mm QR/197*12mm axle - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Final report on CS-197

Meets the approval of my better half.
    Chinese Carbon fatty-cs1.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1608.jpg

Chinese Carbon fatty-img_1610.jpg

passed out in your garden
    Quite honestly not to my taste (its a shame the two greens dont match better ), but well done, bet thats a heap of brownie points
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    "heap of brownie points:

EXACTLY!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm sure this is already answered in this thread somewhere, but I didn't want to look through 80 pages. I'm interested in getting an ICAN SNO3 frame, and I'm wondering about the rear spacing. It is listed as 12x190mm, but I'm assuming it is actually 12x197? Can anybody confirm this? Seems like an unusual size, and chinese carbon websites have errors all over the place usually. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My CS-010 is a 12 X 190mm so I'm pretty sure if ICAN is stating 12x190 then it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    'm wondering about the rear spacing. It is listed as 12x190mm, but I'm assuming it is actually 12x197? Can anybody confirm this? Seems like an unusual size, and chinese carbon websites have errors all over the place usually. Thanks
    12 x 190 is a QR rear

other bikes like the first gen Fatboy and Mayor were also 190QR rear.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I sort of remember some of the early Chinese Carbon bikes had 12 by 190 through axles. There was a lot of confusion way back in the day.
    Latitude 61

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are definitely 190mm thru axle chinese bikes. I think they screwed up the standard for a little while. Not a huge deal if you can find the appropriate hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hello. Has anybody painted their carbon bike frames? Can I use auto primer, paint and clear after light wetsanding of all surfaces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    How are the CS-197's holding up guys?

I'm considering building one up for next winter.

My Carbonspeed 29+ wheels have held up great on my Farley.

Seeing some of the builds here, i could drop 7 pounds in comparison.

Is anyone running the 27.5 x 68 mm width rims with 27.5 x 4.5 tires?
    Last edited by Swerny; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:00 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Elitest thrill junkie
    CS197 holding up great, many races in the snow last winter. Did a gravel grinder a month back and use it for commuting and riding to softball in the summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Has anybody made a CS197 into a single speed?

Those CS197 dropouts look so close to being adjustable.

The obstacle here would be chain tension without a tensioner. As it stands, it appears the only solution would be a 100mm English threaded eccentric bottom bracket which I don't even know is out there and would probably be less than ideal, regardless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's mine:

Ican SN01 frameset
    Turnagin wheelset/Husker Du's
    Raceface all around
    XT 1 X 11
    Elixer 5's....the only used parts on it.

Took me a while to build up....life seems to get in the way.
    Yes, I know, the rear hydraulic line has a goofy routing, but it was too short to run around the front of the head tube, and I didn't have time to route it internally....heading out for a week's holidays and want to use it.

Anyway, it should be fun!!

And can't figure out why the pics are upside down and spun....sigh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese Carbon fatty-20170701_122754.jpg  

Chinese Carbon fatty-20170701_122733.jpg  

Chinese Carbon fatty-20170701_122711.jpg  

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940