Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    You have't noticed the similarities between this and the 9:zero:7 Whiteout ?

Attachment 862617

fat Biker
    I really have no idea, however, WHEN the geo numbers were posted none of the numbers came up the same as the whiteout. Looked like it had a somewhat similar shaped top tube, but beyond that the geo numbers didn't match up.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Biker View Post
    You have't noticed the similarities between this and the 9:zero:7 Whiteout ?

Attachment 862617

While there are similarities, there are only a handful of looks possible for a hard tail frame. Is it even possible to invent a hard tail frame that doesn't closely resemble other frames already on the market?

Also note that there are differences. The chainstays are significantly different, meeting the dropout area above the axle. The rear brake is mounted on the chainstay instead of the seat stay. The seat tube is a different size. The head tube is taller. More bottom bracket drop. Longer top tube, etc.

Granted, it is the dipped top tube that is visually distinct and similar. Yet if they hadn't made it dipped, what bike would it look like then?

For comparison, there are many bikes out there with an almost identical curve in the top tube.
    Chinese Carbon fatty-mb_santacruz_blurtr_0.jpg

mtbr member
    the curve on top tube is in fact quite different than the one on 907. the flow of the curve through the seat tube and onto seat stays looks better on ip157 aesthetically imho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone not know what the word "similarities" means ?

Last I checked it never meant "exact" or "exactly the same as"

If the IP-157 was decaled up or painted to look like a Whiteout you're telling me you'd be able to tell the difference without close scrutiny (looking at geo tables)

Come on ?

You're all entitled to your own views but in my book the Whiteout was the inspiration behind the IP-157 .
    Which is no bad thing I might add .
    Also please remember this was just a geo drawing and the finished item may look somewhat different in the flesh (changes could have been made before production) .

Just my 2c

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So after quoting me USD 240 (or USD 300 shipped and paypal'd) for a 80mm carbon rim, Peter emailed me back and said the real price was actually $405.

F*ck that!

Supersonic Garfield
    Not strange considering a 30mm rim from LB costs $165, a rim this size is almost 3x the material

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Pretty big change from the initial $240 quote though.

Supersonic Garfield
    Fully agree on that

Loser
    That said, I doubt the cost of material drives this price point. I'm a bit disappointed, I thought it would come in lower (I was happy at $240).

mtbr member
    yup, gotta wait what competition will show up with.

mtbr member
    Raw material cost is a bogus argument at best. From what I understand raw materials are pretty cheap in the carbon manufacturing process. It’s the process, equipment and expertise needed that drive the cost. I doubt the manufacturing process for the fat rims differs much from the regular mtb/road rims. Also fat bike rims probably use about as much material as wide road bike rims. Last I checked a 60mm clincher was $170 on LB.

$240 was barely acceptable already but reneging to $405 is absurd and total bull shiitake. Thanks for posting that Cageracer. Chinese manufacturers like Peter need to know their place and be put in their place when they get greedy. When they jack up their prices as much as possible they will loose sales. There is only so much $ I am willing to risk dealing with a shady shifty Chinese manufacturer before I realize I am better off saving a bit more and going with the “real deal”. $400 for a carbon rim is out-of-line same as a $800 carbon frame. $600 for a frame set with fork, $1000 for a rolling chassis is the magic number for me. Any more than that I and I will start thinking twice.

Looking forward to what LB has to offer…

mtbr member
    ^+1

Loser
    /\ +2

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chinese Carbon fatty

Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post

... Chinese manufacturers like Peter need to know their place and be put in their place when they get greedy.
    Greedy? I have never seen an ethical, greedy business man. A little economics + marketing explains Peter's pricing strategy. It is a lot easier to lower price than it is to raise price!

Loser
    I should say I don't agree with everything (the comments about greed etc) in that post that I +2ed, but those prices are too high, IMO. I suppose the market will drive it to the proper price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Greedy? I have never seen an ethical, greedy business man. A little economics + marketing explains Peter's pricing strategy. It is a lot easier to lower price than it is to raise price!
    Hogwash! It makes much more sense to raise a products price once you have established that it is a good product, free from defects and worth the asking price. This is done over many/months years by real users not insider shills. Setting a ridiculously high price on a new product based on hype and perceived demand is risky and reckless at best. What “Peter” is doing here is shamelessly jumping on the fat bike hype wagon. He sees that there is a (over hyped) demand for the product and is pricing his product at the very limit of what he thinks people are willing to pay. Maybe he is just testing the waters and looking for a reaction. Well here it is.

Its really very simple and you have to blind as a bat not to see it. The only reason people buy carbon parts directly from China is because they are CHEAP $. If they cease to be a smoking hot no-brainer good deal people wont buy them. As far as I am concerned no one is buying Chinese direct because of ethical business practices or good customer service. Though those are very nice to have and good luck selling something with bad customer service rep especially at those prices. Hence why these reviews are so important and why Chinese manufacturers are doing there best to spam the crap out of these threads.

I am beginning to see a pattern here. Is there a reason why you are constantly defending over priced Chinese carbon?
    Last edited by AMjunky; 01-17-2014 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why so angry?

A company offers the lowest priced carbon fatbike rim on the market and you get pissed off at them for being too expensive? And you're also complaining about chinese carbon companies posting product info to a chinese carbon thread?

I'd offer a counter argument but it doesn't seem like reasoned discussion is your goal.

mtbr member
    come on, if you dont agree with people buying Chinese carbon dont read this thread. this was supposed to be about options and experiences with the product, for the people willing to buy Chinese carbon. if you want to discuss ethics and crap behind it, open another thread and title it properly, so ones not interested can skip it.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    come on, if you dont agree with people buying Chinese carbon dont read this thread. this was supposed to be about options and experiences with the product, for the people willing to buy Chinese carbon. if you want to discuss ethics and crap behind it, open another thread and title it properly, so ones not interested can skip it.
    thanks
    Huh? A little confused here. Who does not agree with people buying Chinese carbon, where was that ever under discussion?

I think every one here (myself included) is interested in buying/selling Chinese carbon. The issue at hand is PRICE. An issue you seemed to agree with a few posts back. Yeah I understand online diplomacy and all that, personally I call em’ as I see em’.

Dfiler, if you have counter argument to make, please do contribute…

I think I have clearly outlined many valid points that most consumers will agree with.

mtbr member
    not aimed at you, or last couple posts discussing pricig, i actually like your comments a lot. just the thread in general.

mtbr member
    not aimed at you, or last couple posts discussing pricig, i actually like your comments a lot. just the thread in general.
    Ah no worries, anyways back on topic. Two fat bikes I test rode and loved but could not afford were the Salsa Beargrease and the Trek Farley. An affordable carbon frame with similar trail geometry to those and with rack mounts would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    the lowest priced carbon fatbike rim on the market
    Only just - the Naran Sarma is only a few dollars more. I know which I'd prefer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    Ah no worries, anyways back on topic. Two fat bikes I test rode and loved but could not afford were the Salsa Beargrease and the Trek Farley. An affordable carbon frame with similar trail geometry to those and with rack mounts would be awesome.
    Yeah as this price is creeping up I am thinking about just getting what I really want, the salsa beargrease.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    +1 on the price issue .
    As it creeps up and up (for whatever reason) I am less and less likely to buy a carbon Chinese frame .
    At this moment I have the budget for a 29er Chinese carbon frame and a set of carbon Chinese 29er rims .
    A little more saving and I might have been able to get the carbon Chinese fat bike frame and forks instead or (hopefully) as well as . If it stays at $600 (???) .
    I would have liked the carbon Chinese fat rims too . At this moment though something is annoying me with the pricing structure that is being employed here . It feels like I (we - all of us showing interest) are being taken for suckers .
    That is not to say that I (we) am (are) definitely , just a feeling . And it doesn't sit well . So much so I too am thinking about buying a named frame (Beargrease) and calling it quits . I do like bang / $ but I ain't gonna be taken for a mug by some greedy sales person sat at the other side of a keyboard .
    I might be taken for a ride buying a named brand but it better damn well not *feel* like it .

Rant over BOT sorry

Fat Biker

mtbr member
    I agree, if the price keep going up forget it. I will go ahead and pay a little more get the Beargrease.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageracer View Post
    So after quoting me (or shipped and paypal'd) for a 80mm carbon rim, Peter emailed me back and said the real price was actually

F*ck that!
    Sarma 430 usd free shiping

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chinese Carbon fatty

This just popped up recently.

http://m.alibaba.com/product/1623857...fications.html

I would pay $500 for the rims to arrive at my front door.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chinese Carbon fatty

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cool looking bike. How does a consumer figure out details like what tire sizes it will take as well as price and shipping costs?

Loser
    All right, we're getting close. I'm sure in the next month or so details will come in. I don't have much experience with Alibaba, but it seems its meant for dealers to buy larger quantities? Anyway, I'm sure we can't be too far from available product now.

Loser
    Just to over analyze something from pictures - the bike is shown with 4.7 Snowshoe tires, which we know are really 4.0 tires. It doesn't look like there is much room in there, but it is pretty hard to see from those pictures. The description says a max tire of 4.7, but if they are using the Snowshoe to prove 4.7" fits, then they are using a bad ruler.

It doesn't look like the rims on the bike are the rims lower down on the page, so its hard to figure that out.

Speculate away...

No, that's not phonetic
    On those wheels they drilled through a double wall rim and then put a rim strip on the inner channel. So the void space will just fill with dirt or snow from the outside resulting in 20 pound wheels??
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Loser
    I have drilled double wall rims on my bike, I have ridden in wet and snowy conditions, I haven't had them fill up to any appreciable degree that I noticed. Maybe it happens and I don't notice, but I don't think so. I'm not saying drilling a double wall is a good idea, I'm just saying in practice I don't notice it as an issue.

mtbr member
    Folk have been drilling double-wall Marges for years.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chinese Carbon fatty

I wouldn't pay $500 for the rims with the bike but the rims coming from Peter. Carbon Rims.

Loser
    I had heard about a guy locally who runs a bike shop sort of out of his garage - he only does custom builds, some of which he does with 29er Chinese carbon frames. I sent him an email asking about these fatty frames - he's really interested in working with me, but he has no experience with fat bikes. I'm going to work with him and see what we can come up with for a price. I understand his builds are extremely affordable, we'll see. If I decide to move forward I'll start a thread with my build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Just to over analyze something from pictures - the bike is shown with 4.7 Snowshoe tires, which we know are really 4.0 tires. It doesn't look like there is much room in there, but it is pretty hard to see from those pictures. The description says a max tire of 4.7, but if they are using the Snowshoe to prove 4.7" fits, then they are using a bad ruler.
    That is my impression too. Because of that, my guess is that the synergy sports FM010 frame has 170mm spacing. Even if the frame were to fit a true 4.7/4.8 tire, it doesn't look like the chainline would clear the tire when in the lowest gears.

Loser
    I sent a price inquiry via Alibaba (still don't fully understand that site) for that frame shown above.

I got back an excel sheet, the pricing looks pretty incredible - the details are a bit hard to ascertain due to translation issues, but it looks like:

Frame, headset, QR and fork for $650.

Carbon 65 or 80mm rims on joytec hubs with sapim spokes for $560/pair
    Alloy 100mm rims on joytec hubs with sapim spokes for $259/pair

Carbon 65 or 80mm rims are $230 each

Frame details: 190mm spacing, but requires a 5mm offset(?) for chain clearance. Rear can be ordered with either a regular QR or 12mm through axle. Fork is 142 through axle. The text says: "We have offset rear triangle(OLD 190mm=90mm+100mm) to avoid the chain touch tyre.That means if you build the wheelset,you have to adjust the rear wheel left +5mm to make the wheel in center of frame."

There is a statement at the bottom of the quote that says "The prices quotation is available in 6 months." If its translated correctly I guess that means it will take 6 months for them to get you the frame, but I wonder if its supposed to mean the price is good for 6 months.

I'll try to post up the quote once I can convert it to pdf on my other computer.

edit - I got confirmation that the frames will be available in six months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That makes me wish synergy sports had a customer contact person who was fluent in English. The specs mostly seem like what i am looking for but the offset 190 is baffling. My guess is that the FM010 is not available for another 6 months. If that's the case, it is likely that closer to the release date they will have better worded specs for public consumption.

Are there any 142x15 hubs available yet? A 12mm through axle in the rear suggests it could be 197mm spacing with those dropouts. Either way, sourcing those hubs is somewhat difficult too. Getting one of these really new carbon frames really cuts down on the hub options. But overall, it still seems wise to build up a bike with through axles if possible.

Edit: Just saw your edit about the frames indeed not being available for 6 months. The race is on! Can synergy sports or iplay get their fattie to market first?

Loser
    here is the spreadsheet they sent me
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do you guys make anything of Jish's price sheet where there is a tiny bit of picture with the words "Kenda/CST snowbike tire"? Doesn't really look like a fat tire, but the placing below the fat wheels made me wonder.

Loser
    I am ignoring everything below the rims in that spreadsheet - but it does show the lack of knowledge about fat bikes they are bringing to the table. Perhaps its a naive way to look at it, but I figure if they can build a 29er frame they can build a fat bike frame. I can take care of the rest of it (tubes, tires, cranks etc) as long as I get good information and the frame is sound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Penetrator View Post
    Sarma 430 usd free shiping
    Sarma site says:

Recommended tire pressure: min 10-15 PSI
    Max rider weight limit: 110 kg
    Max Spoke Tension: 100 kgf
    -----------
    Seems like many riders would want to go below 10 psi. And 100 kgf spoke tension is lower than the limit I've seen for other chinese carbon rims e.g. Light Bicycle.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Live Free & Ride
    Just emailed the seller about frame geo and choice of carbon finishes. Very interested in building this into a SS fatbike with the 12 x 142 rear and 15mm front carbon fork. Also asked about shipping time but don't expect to get a straight answer on that one. Looking to put together a sub 24 lb fatty this year!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Loser
    Definitely post up what you hear back, I'm very interested in going down this road too, though I'm aiming for 26lbs and 1x10 geared.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    lol, NH Mtbiker… That's exactly what i want to build up too, a through axle super light carbon SS fatty.

Let us know what you find out. My guess is that it will be at least 3 months. I would love to be surprised though. Whichever company offers a frame at a decent price first, gets my money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With the 2014 Chinese New Year falling on Jan 31st and the Spring Lantern Festival on February 14th, all those carbon factories in China are sitting dormant for over another week.

Think of all the poor mountain bikers world wide that are waiting for their factory direct carbon goods!

Allegedly my Iplay 80mm rims will ship out sometime after that multi-week holiday. This waiting is torturous. We keep getting slammed by snow storm after snow storm and here I sit without a fat bike.

Loser
    How much did you pay for the rims? and is the frame available?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Iplay FR-026-80 rims will likely be selling for $405 each. Don't quote me on that though. I think I got the order placed before they were ready to go public with all the details. I'll be sure to post again as soon as there is anything new to report.

The frames aren't ready yet either. The rims should be out soon followed by frames. My guess is another month or two or three for fat frames.

That's a tough balance for any company to manage, especially when dealing with customers of a different culture. It is desirable to perk people's interest with advance details ahead of product availability. But release info too soon and there is the risk of customers being turned off by what are perceived as delays or changed specs.

Live Free & Ride
    I received the geometry numbers for the Synergy Sports frame and fork. They sent over specs for sizes 15,17,19 & 21 inch. The A to C on the included carbon fork is at 468mm. Model # FM-M010-19"

Other details on the 19" frame include 70 d head angle and 73 d seat tube angle. Top tube is 597mm, chainstay is 467mm, seat is 483. Just to give some idea of what the L frame is spec'd at with the 190mm rear hub spacing. Also important is the rear tire spacing between the stays is at 118mm. The carbon fork also has 118mm wide tire spacing and vertical tire spacing of 382mm - or about 15 inches.
    Looks good!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Loser
    That top tube seems pretty short for a Large - can you post the other sizes (picture or whatever)? Not doubting you, but I wanted to see what the other sizes look like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is that 190mm spacing with quick release? Most 12mm 190mm setups are actually 197mm in order to allow 3.5mm collars on each side that align the wheel during installation. To me that suggests a quick release rear dropout.

Also, will 118mm wide tire clearance fit a bud/lou on 100mm rims?

Edit: I pulled up a google-cached web page for the synergy sports FM010.

It says "Both QR & AXEL rear" which makes sense because it is pictured with replaceable dropout chips.
    Bottom bracket is listed as "BSA,PF30"
    It is pictured with 100mm and what appear to be vee snowshoe 4.7 tires. There is a bit of extra clearance but bud-n-lou tires are bigger than the snowshoes.

Loser
    According to this thread, a Bud and Lou will not fit (115 width on a 100mm rim). Well it will fit, but 3mm is not much clearance.

Live Free & Ride
    An 85mm rim would be good for this frame with the 4.7 - 4.9 inches of clearance currently shown. Borealis has a real nice carbon wheel for deep pockets at $1600/set or $1999 per complete wheelset with Borealis FH1 hubs, double butted spokes, and colored alloy nipples. Would like to see an alumn version for the rest of us. Any thoughts or ideas for this frame and rim/tire size?
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Live Free & Ride
    That top tube seems pretty short for a Large - can you post the other sizes (picture or whatever)? Not doubting you, but I wanted to see what the other sizes look like.
    Sorry, I did mis-read the spec on the top tube. The 19 in frame has 622mm top tube. The files are too large to download here so you may want to contact Synergy for your own reference.
    Email: kcd2720@hotmail.com
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Live Free & Ride
    It also appears that the frame may have more than 118mm of clearance and that number is in reference to the tire they have spec'd on the frame for geometry drawings. It looks like there might be 2-3mm of additional space between the 118mm number given. Overall, this frame looks to be very close in geometry to the Borealis Yampa carbon size Large.
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

Loser
    Very cool. I await the ability to lighten my wallet

Live Free & Ride
    Right on!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

dvn
    mtbr member
    Ditto!
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chinese Carbon fatty

Loser
    That is a beautiful frame, but it is also $2,200! I'm hoping the direct frames are a lot cheaper than that!

mtbr member
    where are all the fat Chinese goodies?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yup, you just convinced me to cancel my recent online order. I'll spend $150 more to buy the same drivetrain from my LBS. They provide enough schwag for our fat bike races and stuff to raise funds for our IMBA club. Never seen anything donated by PricePoint or Jenson. Not even going to negotiate with internet prices.

aka bOb
    We did have Competitive Cyclest give us a good size grant last year. Surprised us too especially the jack hole who was pissed cuz I bought a niner frame from them a few months before only because I couldn't get it local. Otherwise I usually shop local.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post

hello,
    Do you have a link?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Chinese Carbon fatty

Quote Originally Posted by Jaubert Sébastien View Post
    hello,
    Do you have a link?
    They keep taking it down so I posted the pictures manually.

Best thing to do is search Alibaba and see if it is back up.

mtbr member
    Not sure where this thread is going, and I'm getting in on the tail end.

i have worked with pricing out product with Chinese suppliers and the prices they give don't usually reflect on the true price of a factory FOB order. It is common for suppliers in China to only take large orders which is usually a shipping container which will be X number of frames.

So I think when and if this product ends up in North America it will be a much different price than you might get from a Alibaba quote.

mtbr member
    looks like we officially have first rim out. nextie is taking pre-orders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I pre-ordered from synergy sports many weeks ago. Granted, that wasn't officially official.

Pre-orders would be my definition of officially not out.

mtbr member
    i see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Great ... Now ... How do you get one?

Loser
    It looks like you can order them by the container, you just have to figure out what to do with the other 349 frames in the container. I think we're still 2-3 months out from these being available by the frame rather than by the container.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Where the heck do you get a 120mm bottom bracket and crankset?
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

Loser
    That and the 5mm offset on the 190mm rear wheel (in the original Synergy frame) gave me pause. I bought a Specialized Fatboy, so I won't be buying a carbon frame, but I'm following this thread, I'm interested in where this goes and to see some of these frames (eventually) built up.

I also saw something that said that someone bought the molds and no frames were available, but I have no idea who's mold someone bought and what impact that might have.

For the record the Fatboy is an amazing bike, so happy to have that in the shed, I've had so many great rides this winter.

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Where the heck do you get a 120mm bottom bracket and crankset?
    I guess it's because it's a pressfit bottom bracket. Salsa f.ex has 41 x 121mm on their website.

Loser
    I'd really like to see an actual picture of the frame instead of a rendering.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The dropout chips for 12 thru axles appear to have the inset channel for 197mm spacing. Strange that it is listed as 12x190mm.

mtbr member
    Still hoping to see one of these emerge in someone's hands- after a review or two, then I might jump on board...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I thought the eagle had landed but looks like a seller preying on foolish buyers. check it out.

Disc Brake Fat Bike 16 inch 29er MTB Carbon Frame Oversize BB92 Tarpered Headset | eBay

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any report on how well the invisible disc brakes work? If a brake is applied in the forest and no one can see it, does it squeal like a pig?

squish, squish in da fish
    I'm lost on what is trying to be portrayed here. That looks to be a 29er and I would never buy that frame just because of the rear caliper mount. Every time you want to take the rear wheel off you need to loosen/remove caliper. Gen 2 nimble 9's came this way then the bros sent everyone new do's

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Why do you have to remove the caliper? My Cannondale has a rear caliper like this and I think it looks clean.

Name:  cu_bb_u8_gears.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  61.9 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    I'm lost on what is trying to be portrayed here. That looks to be a 29er and I would never buy that frame just because of the rear caliper mount. Every time you want to take the rear wheel off you need to loosen/remove caliper. Gen 2 nimble 9's came this way then the bros sent everyone new do's
    I have one of the gen 2 nimble 9. The problem wasn't because the caliper was mounted near the chainstay rather than seatstay. Instead the problem was that the dropout slots were forward slanting rather than vertical. If they had been vertical, everything would have worked out fine.

In my opinion, all rear calipers should be mounted there rather than on the seatstay. It is infinitesimally lighter, shorter cable/hydro, cleaner looking, less interference with racks and most importantly, less prone to damage when crashing into or off of piles of stumps and logs.

I look forward to buying one of these frames (perhaps from synergy sports) with a chainstay mounted brake caliper.

Edit:

A bit more clarification on the N9 v2 dropout problem. The reason they moved the caliper location rather than fixing the real problem, which were the dropouts' non-vertical axle slots, was that simply moving the caliper location required sending out only one replacement part rather than two. Fixing the axle slots would have required replacing both the drive side and brake side droupouts. Moving the caliper location required only sending out replacements for the brake side dropout.

Or at least that is what seems likely to have been their justification to me. I don't actually have any inside info.

Looking at the pictures for the fatbike from Shenzhen Featbike Sport Equipment Co., Ltd. (http://feat-bikes.en.alibaba.com/pro...Thru_Axle.html)
    It seems like they may have made that same mistake. The caliper mount is on the chainstay but the dropouts for a 197mmx12mm axle are forward facing. Perhaps the angle is small enough that it won't be a problem though.
    Last edited by dfiler; 03-12-2014 at 05:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    honestly i didnt pay much attention to where the disk brake caliper was. I paid attention to this being called a fat bike frame and a 29er at the same time leaving some poor sob that dont know any better buying the thing thinking he was getting something that going have clearance for fat tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That location is where Scott Scales have the brake. It allows for a thinner seat stay.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk and CM 10.2

sorry i stand corrected

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    With the 2014 Chinese New Year falling on Jan 31st and the Spring Lantern Festival on February 14th, all those carbon factories in China are sitting dormant for over another week.

Think of all the poor mountain bikers world wide that are waiting for their factory direct carbon goods!

Allegedly my Iplay 80mm rims will ship out sometime after that multi-week holiday. This waiting is torturous. We keep getting slammed by snow storm after snow storm and here I sit without a fat bike.
    Email from xmiplay this morning says that the 80mm rims, mentioned earlier in this thread, will not be available after all. This is because "a customer from the US signed a contract with our factory for the 80mm rims, we can not sell the 80mm rims to any other customer from the US any more". Hopefully my refund is not a hassle.

mtbr member
    do we know of anyone actually developing fat bike frame at this point? xmiplay has been very careful in their replies lately.

Loser
    I am so glad I got the Fatboy, this would be driving me crazy. I heard something about someone buying the frame molds, (not the rim molds mentioned here) but I was never sure if that was directly related to these guys or who.

mtbr member
    yeah, i am pretty close to pulling trigger on el gordo frame. even though i dont need fat bike until next winter, i am getting pretty unpatient

aka bOb
    yeah, i am pretty close to pulling trigger on el gordo frame. even though i dont need fat bike until next winter, i am getting pretty unpatient
    I say if you know that is the frame for you get it now if you can, next fall who knows if it will be available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep, a younger me would have been flipping out with impatience right about now.

But from the start I resigned myself to waiting for the next gen of everything to come out. This means waiting for cheap carbon rims and frame, tapered headtube, a 15mm thru-axle fork and a 197x12mm rear with enough room for 4.7" tires on 100mm rims. It'll be the slowest build ever but I can wait.

Normally I'm content with whatever is currently available. You could always be waiting for that next development. But with the fat market evolving so quickly, it seems like this year is one that will see a lot of future-proof products come out. We still aren't there on fat forks, but a suspension corrected frame with a tapered steer tube and thru-axle wheelset will do for now. That at least will make it easy and cheap to add a suspension fork a couple years from now.

Loser
    That's exactly what I was thinking dfiler, I will probably feel a few twinges of envy when I see people starting to build them up, but I'll live :-D

mtbr member
    May 2011
    They can't be far away now....

Salted bikes has some updates on their facebook page, and I seem to recall them mentioning that their frame is an open mould leaving the door open for 3rd parties to offer the frames for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/SaltedBikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mjb123 View Post
    They can't be far away now....

Salted bikes has some updates on their facebook page, and I seem to recall them mentioning that their frame is an open mould leaving the door open for 3rd parties to offer the frames for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/SaltedBikes
    yes and no.

The Salted frame design is a mould that is owned by our agent in Taiwan and the two brands that have placed their initial orders. (100+ frames each). It will be used by Salted Bikes and one other brand (currently).

Elvis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No real description of what we would want to know in terms of details on the frame.
    I wonder what hub it takes and what size tires it can handle? I would be much happier to see this marketed as a package with carbon rims as well. Interesting though.

raid, you beat me to the punch. can you say grey area(s)? would be nice if they did release it with 100mm carbon rims

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast