mtbr member
    Oct 2004

child seat on fatbike

I wanted to post this up because when I was researching, I only saw a few photos of child seats fitted on a fat bike.

I have a Salsa Blackborow1 and was able to squeeze a Thule RideAlong childseat on the back. I did need to purchase the optional "low saddle adapter" for an extra $35.

Due to the curved seat tube on the Blackborow, I used a wood wedge near the top of the Thule's attachment assembly. The net result was that the seat now sits high enough over the rear tire. Bear in mind that I have a small-ish frame (it's a medium) so things are pretty tight in the main triangle.

The legs of the Thule adapter don't touch the seatstays, but they *almost* do. I wanted to be careful with that so for the time-being, I have taped some aluminum angle over the seatstays, just in case the weight of my kid flexes the adapter a bit. I could remedy this issue if I were to use a slightly thicker wood wedge in the attachment assembly.

Hopefully the pictures will make sense. Me and my little girl have taken a few rides and she's loving it, as do I. Those 5inch tires sure smooth out the ride!

child seat on fatbike-unspecified-7.jpg

child seat on fatbike-unspecified-8.jpg

child seat on fatbike-unspecified-9.jpg

child seat on fatbike-unspecified-10.jpg

child seat on fatbike-unspecified-11.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    plow, awesome job! That looks like a great way to get the little one out and not get the wife aggro. Good times, indeed!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey, that's really cool.
    I think fatbikes would be more comfy for the kids to ride on than skinny tired bikes.
    If I had a lazy dog I would put a big basket on mine.
    Totem KDS-D fatbike, Brompton M2L-X Ti, 6kg Dahon Dove, 1998 GT Forte Ti road bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

It's definitely a comfy ride for her.....and this is with a relatively firm 12psi. When I ride alone, I run around 6psi. (I've converted to tubeless). Can't wait to experiment with lower pressures....

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My little one loves his seat, I have a Weeride fitted on the trusty Ice Cream Truck. With it being between the bars and myself, we chat and point out things of interest. It's really quite sweet that he has worked out what the Camelbak is fir and helps himself to water when he feels like it.

Now I just need to work out how to upload a picture.

EDIT: Well' I've managed to upload one picture.

child seat on fatbike-13227668_10153594113701658_1389161546922455501_o.jpg
    Last edited by Loftybarbarian; 09-01-2016 at 12:26 AM.

mtbr member
    I have one; my daughter absolutely loves riding on it!

child seat on fatbike-img_0575.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I know I'm dragging up an old post, but I just wanted to thank the OP for sharing. I've been fighting the RideAlong seat on my fat bike for a year with my kids constantly scraping on the tire. Now that I see a simple wedge in the top of the mount solves it, I feel like an idiot for not thinking of such a simple solution earlier!

What role does the low seat adapter accomplish? It doesn't raise the seat higher than the normal setup, does it?

ac

mtbr member
    I put the factory bracket in a vise and bent it. Took a ton of force. But it would grind out on the rear tire constantly over bumps. I also chopped the metal bracket down on the top as it interfered with the seat stays and it sits as high as it can now. No grinding. Still flexes well.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Please excuse me if I sound silly but where is this wooden wedge?
    I had a similar hamax seat that I couldn't get to fit so I've modified a bobike maxi slightly but the child seat position does leave my daughter a bit too close to my rear end lol