mtbr member
    Dec 2005

A Cheaper DIY stud option

Since the Grip Stud group buy thread fell through, I thought I'd post this potential option. Not 100% sure if it will work because of the thread depth but the price is right.

Screw_in Tire Studs-in Other Home Improvement from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com

some more technical information here on what looks to be the same item but massively marked up.

MAXIGRIP ICE STUDS | Tire Studs | Winter Studs | Winter Ice Studs are available in Multiple Sizes

I think the main question is if these will work with the tread depth of our tires....

Andy

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    "The HM-11 has a 2.1mm carbide tip/core, a hardened, galvanized screw with coarse threads. The HM-11 is 12mm in length. Recommended minimum tread depth is 11mm."

I've used a car tire stud about that length, driven from inside the casing of a Larry, and it protrudes outside the tread lugs. Don't think it would work.

A pity, those are much more affordable.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    "The HM-11 has a 2.1mm carbide tip/core, a hardened, galvanized screw with coarse threads. The HM-11 is 12mm in length. Recommended minimum tread depth is 11mm."

I've used a car tire stud about that length, driven from inside the casing of a Larry, and it protrudes outside the tread lugs. Don't think it would work.

A pity, those are much more affordable.
    The Maxi-grip studs are only a little cheaper than the Grip Studs. $91/100 vs $100/100. The $25 is for a 25 pack.

Seems that Grip Studs would still be the better way to go given they have a lower penetration.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The first link shows the studs for $0.17 each stud.

I am in the process of trying to source some shorter studs. $1 per grip stud is insanity.

mtbr member
    $9/lb. at Home Depot

Gripstuds in the middle cuz they're shorter, but one could cut the screws a bit shorter with dikes or lineman's pliers. Might not last on long pavement commute, but great on snow and ice. None lost or loosened after 40 miles, 5 on bare pavement, and no sign of wear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The first link is a very good choice.

I have emailed to them and they response quickly. It is a professinal tire studs manufacuturer in China.
    If you want the cheaper with good quality, you can message them.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Tire Studs,length 5.7mm for bicycles from Reliable tire costume suppliers on AXIS Cemented Carbide Co.,Ltd

Screw_in Tire Studs-in Other Home Improvement from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com

mtbr member
    The 5.7mm look like good replacement studs for tires with pre-formed holes for them, but I don't know if they'd work otherwise. Are there screw-ins shorter than 11mm?
    Also, the seller appears to have 100% rating from a total of one customer? Buyer beware. Did I read that right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I understand the same as you. I actually emailed a company similar (or the same company) with dimensions we need for bike tires. They sent back a pick with a stud around 13 mm and also the bike replacement stud photo. There has to be a supplier for the type we are looking for.... Just can't find them. I'll post back if I can find any more information.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    The 5.7mm look like good replacement studs for tires with pre-formed holes for them, but I don't know if they'd work otherwise. Are there screw-ins shorter than 11mm?
    Also, the seller appears to have 100% rating from a total of one customer? Buyer beware. Did I read that right?
    Yes, you are right. They told me they sell them no more than one months in aliexpress.com.
    If you are interested in it ,you can visit their website: www.xcarbide.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what holds them in tire?