mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Cheap Travel Fatbike with Breakdown Frame?

Many companies are joining the fatbike market with fatbike clones, but what I'd like to see hit the market is a reasonably priced travel fatbike that I can easily disassemble and throw on a plane and take to some exotic location. After all, these bikes can do beaches, mountains, desert, arctic, snow, and work fine with a set of 29er wheels if you just want to tour around Europe, California, Asia, Mars...

I know it is true that I could pay thousands for a titanium or steel frame with S&S couplings, but it seems like there is a market for something simpler in an affordable aluminum frame (my understanding is that the S&S system will not work on an aluminum frame). Ritchey had a different system for a breakdown frame for travel and it seems like there ought to be one suitable for use on aluminum frames. Carver is probably one of the cheapest S&S options and only charges an extra $400 for the S&S coupled option so maybe I'd do that. But completes from mainstream bike manufacturers are much less than custom builds. Probably the cheapest way to build a S&S fatbike is to buy the frame and a complete fatbike, then swap parts and sell the standard (non-travel) fatbike frame. But, c'mon there's got to be others with the same interest and that means there is an unserved market niche (within the expanding fatbike niche).

Even if you're not going to be jetting to the other side of the world/continent, there would be benefits to having a take down frame for your adventure bike. You could put it in a bush plane, small sailboat, comfortably fit it on some of the larger packrafts now available, or strap it to your backpack for those few unrideable miles at the steep mountain pass.

Who's with me? If all three of us with similar mindset let out a resounding cry Trek will surely come out with just such a product!

mtbr member
    Fatbikes are carry on luggage what are you on about?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobytao View Post
    Many companies are joining the fatbike market with fatbike clones, but what I'd like to see hit the market is a reasonably priced travel fatbike that I can easily disassemble and throw on a plane and take to some exotic location. After all, these bikes can do beaches, mountains, desert, arctic, snow, and work fine with a set of 29er wheels if you just want to tour around Europe, California, Asia, Mars...

I know it is true that I could pay thousands for a titanium or steel frame with S&S couplings, but it seems like there is a market for something simpler in an affordable aluminum frame (my understanding is that the S&S system will not work on an aluminum frame). Ritchey had a different system for a breakdown frame for travel and it seems like there ought to be one suitable for use on aluminum frames. Carver is probably one of the cheapest S&S options and only charges an extra $400 for the S&S coupled option so maybe I'd do that. But completes from mainstream bike manufacturers are much less than custom builds. Probably the cheapest way to build a S&S fatbike is to buy the frame and a complete fatbike, then swap parts and sell the standard (non-travel) fatbike frame. But, c'mon there's got to be others with the same interest and that means there is an unserved market niche (within the expanding fatbike niche).

Even if you're not going to be jetting to the other side of the world/continent, there would be benefits to having a take down frame for your adventure bike. You could put it in a bush plane, small sailboat, comfortably fit it on some of the larger packrafts now available, or strap it to your backpack for those few unrideable miles at the steep mountain pass.

Who's with me? If all three of us with similar mindset let out a resounding cry Trek will surely come out with just such a product!
    No matter what, a "travel" fat bike will always be oversize baggage.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No matter what, a "travel" fat bike will always be oversize baggage.
    ISO 559 rims are a hair over 22 inches in diameter (tires off). So yeah, if you are trying to get everything in a single box/case it would likely be oversize since the rims and hubs are wider than your typical S&S coupled bike.

But Alaska Airlines allows two checked bags free for their "Club 49" members and I believe a travel fatbike could fit in two regulation size bags with room to pack your clothes and gear.

I am probably rare in my desire for a travel fatbike though considering all the compromises. Just curious how uncommon such a desire is.

mtbr member
    I'm with you. I'm heading off to Oz and I'd like to take a fatbike. Getting it compact enough to cart around (not just for air travel) is the major consideration.

I've even thought of disassembling the wheels and using narrower rims to keep the bulk down. This of course would mean doing a wheel rebuild when I got there, but that's no biggy.

A beakaway frame like the Ritchey would be a big help IMO. I wonder would they license it to a small builder?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    ...note...frame couplers made in China are not S&S couplers...Ive seen examples of both, one set was welded into the frame backwards and was missing parts...now guess if it was the S&S set or the reverse-engineered couplings from China that I saw...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member

Of all the things the fatbike world needs, this is at the bottom of the list, on the back page, with a line through it because it won't ever happen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Of all the things the fatbike world needs, this is at the bottom of the list, on the back page, with a line through it because it won't ever happen.
    That would be my guess too.
    Market is so small that custom frames easily fit the need.
    I believe you can add S&S to a steel tubed frame so it should be possible to retro fit a Surly Pugsley or Moonlander. Probably the least expensive option.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
    That would be my guess too.
    Market is so small that custom frames easily fit the need.
    I believe you can add S&S to a steel tubed frame so it should be possible to retro fit a Surly Pugsley or Moonlander. Probably the least expensive option.

Craig
    Retrofit or custom, I think an offset frame with 135mm f&r would be the most compact package.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobytao View Post
    Folks are doing all of this as we speak without the cost or complexity of a break apart frame.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    My buddy Billy Koitzsch just ran his 907/Lightspeed 2,000 miles on the Iron Dog course. He spec'd it with S&S couplers so that he could fold his bike in half and lash it into a sled he carried on his handlebars; he would then pull the whole assembly through the unrideable stuff wearing the snowshoes he carried disguised as racks...the theory?...pushing a bike is stupid...
    Last edited by damnitman; 08-09-2013 at 09:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Folks are doing all of this as we speak without the cost or complexity of a break apart frame.
    There's more than one reason to get the bike down compact. I'd like to get it so I could strap it on my back without it sticking out the sides. Many's the time a trail will run out up a mountain, but the map shows a trail on the other side. Pushing the bike is a real pain for that, but if you can tromp up and over, then the possibilities are greater.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    My buddy Billy Koitzsch just ran his 907/Blacksheep 2,000 miles on the Iron Dog course. He spec'd it with S&S couplers so that he could fold his bike in half and lash it into a sled he carried on his handlebars; he would then pull the whole assembly through the unrideable stuff wearing the snowshoes he carried disguised as racks...the theory?...pushing a bike is stupid...
    That's the general idea, and good for general travelling too.

Any pics of his setup?

mtbr member
    ...gimme a day...for some reason I can't post pics, but you can google image search "koitzsch alaska" and pick through the results...there are a couple here on the forums somewhere too...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Cheap + Travel + Fatbike + Breakdown Frame = Does not compute.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Yep... Compact is good. AZT Grand Canyon crossings, strapping to a pack raft, tundra tussock crossings up north... I don't mind a little here and there, but pushing does suck. Admittedly, I'm wuss.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    another friend of mine got in on the same frame order and is able to remove his wheels, drop his seat, uncouple his frame, turn his bars (w/o pulling the fork) and stuff the whole kit into a two-bike hard case with plenty of room for assorted gear and frame packs, etc. The couplings allow the frame to offset/overlap a few precious inches...airlines count it as one bike box...cheaper/easier than one box for the frame and one box for the wheelset...IMHO...

another friend of mine got in on the same frame order and is able to remove his wheels, drop his seat, uncouple his frame, turn his bars (w/o pulling the fork) and stuff the whole kit into a two-bike hard case with plenty of room for assorted gear and frame packs, etc. The couplings allow the frame to offset/overlap a few precious inches...airlines count it as one bike box...cheaper/easier than one box for the frame and one box for the wheelset...IMHO...
    Need to consider the weight limits, too.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Cheap + Travel + Fatbike + Breakdown Frame = Does not compute.
    Don't know about the cheap bit - it's bound to cost more.

But it has been done before - in 1898!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    My buddy Billy Koitzsch just ran his 907/Blacksheep 2,000 miles on the Iron Dog course. He spec'd it with S&S couplers so that he could fold his bike in half and lash it into a sled he carried on his handlebars; he would then pull the whole assembly through the unrideable stuff wearing the snowshoes he carried disguised as racks...the theory?...pushing a bike is stupid...
    Here's Billy with his Litespeed: Billy Koitzsch- Arctic Cycles | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    S&S coupled fat bike

I would love to see some of the new carbon-fatbike offerings incorporate an ideal similar to the Ibis Tranny.

__________________________________________________ __
    Bike is the New Black

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Don't know about the cheap bit - it's bound to cost more.

But it has been done before - in 1898!

the cheap bit throws off the equation. #GIGO
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram