mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Cheap 5" Fat Bike?

Hi all,

I'm looking for an inexpensive fat bike for occasional snow duty.

Once a year my family and I visit the snow for a weekend and I ride on cross-country ski trails. Renting a fat bike is crazy expensive, so I'm looking to buy/build my own.

I might ride it on the beach, too.

In any case, I don't want to spend much, because either I won't ride it much (snow) or it'll get full of sand and salt (beach).

Of course, I'm looking at a WalMart Mongoose Hitch and the other usual suspects...

I'd rather get something that can run 5" tires ó I'm about 180lbs, and soft spots are a bother.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    GMC Yukon, see my posts on it.

120/197/150 spacing, I have set up two, one with 4.9ís, the other with 4.0ís

Stock rims will set up tubeless easily with shrink wrap.

With decent tires tubeless and an alloy seat post, under 34 pounds

Wal Mart has the best price: https://www.walmart.com/ip/GMC-Yukon...-Bike/46008909

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Super.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for... I'm hoping to have this rolling for <$500.

I'm not arguing, but just thinking at the keyboard. Regarding what the critics said in that other thread:

1. This is NOT going to be a hard use bike. I might do 100miles/year on it (more likely, 50).

I've done this before, and riding on groomed trails is basically zero-impact.

So, I'm not worried about breaking it. If it does break, then I'll fix it or replace it, and worse case scenario, I'm back on snow-shoes for a weekend, and then I'll have 11 months to fix it.

2. The alternative is not to buy a better bike. (I live in the middle of nowhere and buying used is a non-starter.)

The alternative would be to spend $100-200 to rent a Framed 1.0 every year.

Crummy seat, crummy brakes, crummy handlebar, crummy grips... Nevermind the hassle of checking in/checking out, and the worry that the rental place will be out of bikes.

For the cost of renting for several days, I can set up my own bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Depending on where you live, you can get some good deals on a used fat bike. Some parts of the country they're hot and retain a lot of value. But you ought to be able to get a used Pugsley or Moonlander for a reasonable amount, particularly an older one. I'd check Craigslist and eBay in addition to this site and Pinkbike, with the knowledge that the last two tend to be used for newer and higher end models.

The mileage and terrain you're thinking about riding would not trash a Wal-Mart special or a GMC Yukon, but a little work could turn up better value for money, lighter weight, more reliability, etc. You'd have a much more pleasant experience. And you wouldn't have to worry about what might break if you get hooked and suddenly start riding a lot more.
    1980 Trek 614
    1980 Ritchey Everest custom MTB, serial #27
    2015 Trek Boone 5
    2015 Felt DD30 fatbike
    2016 S-Works Enduro

mtbr member
    Why not look at a used Framed Minnesota or a Gravity Bullseye? Both are MILES better than Walgooses and other such stuff. You could get one of either for under $400.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Walmart bikes arenít horrible these days, they are a little heavier, yes, and donít have the greatest components, but if youíre on a budget, a Bike beats no bike every time. I just saw a YouTube show where the heading was ďwhistler vs. Walmart BikeĒ and after many runs it came away with only worn brake pads, nothing broken. Proper build and setup are everything, if itís set up correctly a Walmart Bike will be great, if the build is botched it doesnít matter how expensive the bike was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    A used good bike beats a new Walmart bike every time.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    Why not look at a used Framed Minnesota or a Gravity Bullseye? Both are MILES better than Walgooses and other such stuff. You could get one of either for under $400.
    That's my plan if I find an excuse to get one which would likely be for my wife.

She doesn't bike much at all but we've realized her 700c Schwinn Voyager doesn't make here feel real stable. I converted to 29" tires that are wider but now thinking she can test ride my 27.5 x 3 to see how she feels. Then if she takes up the interest, I'll have my excuse to go get a 4" or 5" er in the fat variety. If that's the direction, I'll get a frame size we can both live with but I'm not needing high end. $300 to $500 will do.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That depends on the bike, intended use, and price

mtbr member
    Not really, Paul. A Gravity Bullseye Monster is $499 shipped brand new. It comes with Vee Rubber Missions on 80 mm rims, a WTB saddle, and weighs 36 pounds.

Used, or on sale, these bikes go for $400 or so. Once set up right, they ride like bikes from a LBS, and retain some resale value if the rider wants to move up in quality later.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That Gravity Bullseye Monster won't take 5" tires with BB/Rear/Front spacing of 100/170/135 as the OP wants.

My properly tuned Yukons ride as good as a similar bike from a LBS, at a way lower price.

mtbr member
    Point taken on the tire size, but I seriously doubt that Yukon rides nearly as well.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Point taken on the tire size, but I seriously doubt that Yukon rides nearly as well.
    But you haven't seen or ridden one of the Yukons. I have two of them, and a lot of experience with bikes. These are decent rides. Kent is a major player in the bike industry, and offers a lifetime warranty on the frames and forks.

As all of these bikes are made in Chinese factories, there is not a whole lot of difference in the frames. It is very likely that the Yukon frame is made in the same factory as what is offered by Bikes Direct.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fithian View Post
    But you haven't seen or ridden one of the Yukons. I have two of them, and a lot of experience with bikes. These are decent rides. Kent is a major player in the bike industry, and offers a lifetime warranty on the frames and forks.

As all of these bikes are made in Chinese factories, there is not a whole lot of difference in the frames. It is very likely that the Yukon frame is made in the same factory as what is offered by Bikes Direct.
    I think you get what you pay for and the Yukon is probably decent for a 500 dollar bike. I myself have been using various manufacturers of bikes and wrenching on them (or just taking them apart) throughout my life. As a kid, my mother always refused to purchase a name brand bike as I destroyed bikes year after year as a kid. Some summers I went through a couple cheap dept store bike or garage sale rides. When I about 13 I finally talked them into getting me a Specialized Hardrock on sale which I was able to keep going to finally sell it just a few years ago, I'm now almost 40.

Sure, all these frames are made in a factory in China or Taiwan. That says nothing about the tubing quality, the level of quality control during the frame build process, the experience of the welders, etc. I had a Framed MN 2.2 that I exchanged twice due to inconsistencies in the paint (cosmetic) and issues with the fork tines being offset which the axle brought into alignment. When I talked to the Framed guys about the fork issue, he told me he had several brought from the warehouse and chose the best one for me. How many people have similar issues and don't know about them? I have not owned a BD, but I think they are about the same level as Framed. Of course, I've seen a few of these bikes with a long list of upgrades.

Anyway, I do believe that you should purchase a bike based first and foremost on what you can afford, how often you will use it, and what types of riding you will be using it for. I've seen this advertising, which is misleading marketing IMO and the opinion that you can get a a 2K bike for 700 is just false. You get what you pay for, the sellers make their margin, one way or another.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member

You're right, Paul-I haven't ridden one. I have ridden a Dolomite, which, while fine on the street, would not be something I would take off road without major upgrades. The fork on the Yukon isn't exactly ideal, to my mind.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    While I pretty much always buy used bikes and agree a better value is usually gained going used, the OP specifically said he lives in a remote area where buying used is NOT an option.

While considering used is good advice for someone in a market where used bikes are available, it seems to be a moot argument where the OP is concerned.

mtbr member
    I simply can't see paying even money for a Walbike as something like a Monster. The difference in drivetrain quality alone might offset the difference in tire width, and I believe 4.25 tires fit the Gravity.

I guess, for me, it is worth making a good investment in frame and fork quality, drivetrain and brakes ahead of time.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    I simply can't see paying even money for a Walbike as something like a Monster. The difference in drivetrain quality alone might offset the difference in tire width, and I believe 4.25 tires fit the Gravity.

I guess, for me, it is worth making a good investment in frame and fork quality, drivetrain and brakes ahead of time.
    Iím with you on that, but I also understand not wanting to fork out thousands of dollars on a quality and reliable bike if itís a bike that is only going to get maybe a 100 miles a year. I think the GBEM is a great option and would totally buy one as a ďbeaterĒ if I could articulate to my wife why I need two fatties

With all of that, I run 3.8 Nateís and Iím pushing 280 lbs. I ride snow, sand, mud, road, and really everything I can put two tires on. Iíve had five inch tires, but I think if you have a pretty good grasp of tire pressures and the overall capabilities of your bike a four inch tire will do everything a five inch tire will. I get the peace of mind with have a five inch tire as an option, but I think the OP will be surprised how much his other bikes will be neglected once you buy a fattie.

mtbr member
    Also, check out bikeisland to save a little more.

mtbr member
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    From their description:

"Tires/Tubes: 26"x3.0 BLACK DB-1006 W/RED
    (Customers have told us they can fit up to 3.5 inch Speedster tires in the frame and as light as 2.1 inch tires on the stock rims) Chainstay clearance with the stock 3 inch tires is 10mm per side"

Not what the OP was asking for.

mtbr member
    Paul, some of us are trying to offer up the counter to Walbikes. There are other options. As mehler suggested, with proper tire pressures and technique, unless you are in deep powder, 4" tires are enough, and the rest of the bike's spec is hands down better:

BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

I remember as a kid going from a clunker Royce Union to a Mongoose BMX (back when Mongoose was serious quality). Night and day. That Mongoose created my love for riding bicycles.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for all

Quote Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
    Depending on where you live, you can get some good deals on a used fat bike...
    Why not look at a used Framed Minnesota or a Gravity Bullseye?...
    You guys aren't paying attention...

I live in the middle of nowhere (Humboldt County, California). Used is NOT an option.

A Gravity Bullseye Monster is $499 shipped brand new. It comes with Vee Rubber Missions on 80 mm rims, a WTB saddle, and weighs 36 pounds...
    That Gravity Bullseye Monster won't take 5" tires...
    Right. Bigger/Fatter tires are a priority. This is going to be a strictly snow/sand bike, and it needs to float as well as possible...

I have a 29er hardtail for all other riding (except for when I take the Trek tandem with my daughter).

I simply can't see paying even money for a Walbike as something like a Monster...

Part of my problem is that I'm not going to be satisfied with the components of the BikesDirect products, either.

I'm still going to want different tires, pedals, handlebar, seat, grips, and brakes. I'm a Shimano guy, so I might change out the shifters, too.

So, going BikesDirect means paying another $150-200 for a better frame, bearings, fork... and it blows my budget.

If I can build a bike for $500, then it makes sense, because it'll save me enough on renting to be worth it. If it's going to cost $700+, then I'm better off renting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

I remember as a kid going from a clunker Royce Union to a Mongoose BMX (back when Mongoose was serious quality). Night and day. That Mongoose created my love for riding bicycles.
    Wow, this is tempting at $399...

After years of Target and K-Mart and WalMart bikes, I finally bought a decent bike 6-7 years ago, and it was an eye-opener.

Can anybody tell me offhand how wide a tire will fit in the frame/fork of the Bullseye?!

mtbr member
    Biggest tires I've read fit are 4.25, but not all tires are equal, as you know. The Snowshoe 4.7s on mine are about 4.4 on 95 mm rims.

mtbr member
    Diamondback Oso Grande. Sign up for the corporate discount and the price drops to $795. Add the coupon code SAVE5 at checkout for another 5% off, drop it down to $755 shipped. It's the best deal I've seen lately on a fatbike.

5" tires, Sram X5 2x10 drivetrain, decent TRP Spyre brakes.

mtbr member
    That's a great bike. It's also almost $300 past his budget.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    D'oh, missed that budget in the second post. It's probably money well spent, though.

That's a great bike. It's also almost $300 past his budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    D'oh, missed that budget in the second post. It's probably money well spent, though.
    I couldn't agree more, though I've changed out a good bit of stuff on mine in order to make it more like I want.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Biggest tires I've read fit are 4.25, but not all tires are equal, as you know. The Snowshoe 4.7s on mine are about 4.4 on 95 mm rims.

Thank you guy for all this ó I'm here to learn.

Somebody please school me fast: are 50mm wide rims a problem?

The Bullseye Monster on BikeIsland comes with 50mm rims. The GMC Yukon comes with 100mm rims... Point GMC, right?

mtbr member
    Fat rims are typically 65/80/100mm wide, 50mm is more like plus size tires. If you want to run 5" tires 80 is probably a minimum.

mtbr member
    Does this rental place ever sell their stock for the next season's models? Also, I'm seeing that the Yukon comes with 4" tires, so you would have to purchase the larger tires. You may also want to get a smaller chainring for snow riding.

Paul, what is the rear spacing on the Yukon? Also, what size is the chain ring and what is the cog spread?

You're right that there isn't much else out there at this price point new and if you ride it once a year then maybe you don't need more.

mtbr member
    I think the main limiting factor for the Bullseye for sale there will be its huge frame size (22").
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I could believe the YUKON is ok enough and coming from the same place as bikes direct (frame wise) is all but certain.

Rideable yes

Pauls claimed weight, not a snowballs chance in hell.

Giving the credit that the frame itself weights the same and not more than my 2011 mukluk XL frame (and the kent is only a 18 or 19" since they are one size fits all) it being under 38-40lbs with just a tire swap/tubeless isnt even possible.

My mukluk with carbon fiber front end (forks, bars), mulefuts on bhs hubs with sapim double butted, JJ 4.4/4.8 tubeless 30 lbs iirc.

With barbagazi tires, rear rack and my little TT bag it was almost dead on 34lbs.

Confirmed on park scale (I have a regular luggage scale).

That said, truly the BD bike is going to last longer out of the box and easier to find parts like bottom brackets very possibly.

Other than that there is really NO REASON why its a bad choice other than the 1 size fits all issue. Ya there is better. If the size is right though nothing wrong with it for general tooling around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    This 17" Boris needs a rear derailleur and goes for $509 with 80 mm rims. There is also a scratched 19".

2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post

Paul, what is the rear spacing on the Yukon? Also, what size is the chain ring and what is the cog spread?
    Detailed in this thread: GMC Yukon - Kent 52618
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Regarding weight, RAKC is right. My El Oso, with lighter tires, pedals, bars, seat (and extra weight for the Thudbuster) tips the scales at 35.1 pounds.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    So you guys have seen and weighed a GMC Yukon to be able to make that claim?

The frame, in as ridden condition without wheels, weighs 16.5 lbs. Pedals are 180 grams each.

The bottom bracket is a standard 2 cup with lock ring, 120 mm wide
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    The bare frame or the entire bike excluding the pedals weighs 16.8 lbs?

mtbr member
    Sorry, 16.5

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mehlertmj View Post
    The bare frame or the entire bike excluding the pedals weighs 16.5 lbs?
    The entire bike minus wheels and pedals. The frame is aluminum with a steel fork.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    The entire bike minus wheels and pedals.
    There are full carbon race bikes that weigh 15 pounds, which is the minimum weight per the UCI. Iím not trying to call you a liar or anything, but I would check the weight again on a different scale. Most fat bikes weigh 35 pounds or more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    No lies, just facts. Here is how it works out for the second one I set up for my wife:

Frame, including all components as ridden except pedals: 16.5 lbs

Wheels, with tubeless Tsunami 4Ē 120 TPI folding bead tires, as ridden with freewheel: 16.5 lbs

Pedals: 180 grams each, 0.8 lbs

That totals 33.8 lbs
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Fat rims are typically 65/80/100mm wide, 50mm is more like plus size tires. If you want to run 5" tires 80 is probably a minimum.
    OK, that eliminates the Gravitys on BikeIsland...

Does this rental place ever sell their stock for the next season's models?
    Dunno... I live in Humboldt County, and the rental place is in Truckee (my godparents live up there).

I'm seeing that the Yukon comes with 4" tires, so you would have to purchase the larger tires. You may also want to get a smaller chainring for snow riding...

You're right that there isn't much else out there at this price point new and if you ride it once a year then maybe you don't need more.
    This is what I'm thinking... New tires would be $100 or so. Chainrings are cheap.

This 17" Boris needs a rear derailleur and goes for $509 with 80 mm rims. There is also a scratched 19"...
    Damn, now that's tempting...

That totals 33.8 lbs
    Did you ever actually weigh the whole bike?

I'm not saying that you're fibbing, but I know from cars/motorcycles that sometimes they wind up weighing more than the sum of their parts...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My scale only goes to 30 lbs, so I weighed the three components separately to obtain total weight.

The chainring cannot be changed on the Yukon stock crank, it is swaged to the arm. But it is a square taper spindle and you could change the crank if necessary.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Can anybody tell me offhand how wide a tire the Boris frame fits?

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    4". Boris isnt a wide frame in the rear.

Im not saying anyone is a liar, not at all.

more that the method of trying to get the weight is off. Small scales dont end up as accurate as we hope. Used to do that with previous bikes till I got a luggage scale.

Now if I saw it on a proper scale I would believe it. But with every aspect of my fat bike being much lighter except the frame (even my crankset is probably half the weight) being that close to the weight of mine I find hard to believe.

However Ill have to double check current weight with the light tires, no rack or tt bag.

Update: ride ready with saddle bag (has mini pump, multi tool etc) 30.98lbs.

Out of curiosity I found the weight of the bike, 44 lbs stock.

So his measuring wasnt that far off, around 36 lbs is his final weight.

NOT BAD considering how heavy those wheels and crankset are.

Not to mention, geo looks like simply old school geo of early fat bikes.

In the weight dept its a good contender for a cheap fat bike. Not sure how the BD gravity stacks up in the remaining areas but the Yukon looks plenty useable for general messing around as long as you regrease everything with marine grease.

Last edited by RAKC Ind; 01-15-2018 at 12:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    You guys aren't paying attention...

I live in the middle of nowhere (Humboldt County, California). Used is NOT an option.
    How is used not an option when you can find a used bike on ebay, this site or pinkbike and have it shipped to your location?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There's a medium Pugsley frame and fork on eBay right now ...
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    There's a medium Pugsley frame and fork on eBay right now ...
    Yeah...But will the guy on ebay ship the bike to the Middle of Nowhere, CA ?

mtbr member
    Most will, essentially with bike flights. Where at ďmiddle of no where CAĒ? A coworker of is shipping his son a bike from Iowa to Twentynine Palms for $74. Stumps is in the middle of no where CA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Yeah...But will the guy on ebay ship the bike to the Middle of Nowhere, CA ?

I haven't ever checked shipping To MoN Ca, but one can hope.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    How is used not an option when you can find a used bike on ebay, this site or pinkbike and have it shipped to your location?
    I don't want to buy a used bike sight-unseen... Maybe I'm too easily spooked, but buying a new bike online (with the manufacturer standing behind it) already makes me nervous.

Buying used online just opens up too many "what if" scenarios.

Now I'm really up in the air between the GMC (takes 5" tires) and the Boris (assuredly a better bike, but only 4" tires).

When I rented a Framed last year, its 4" tires sunk into the snow sometimes. Even wider would be better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Get the Yukon. For $500, you can set it up the way you want, changing the tires and seat post.

You will have a nice, light fat bike that you can have a lot of fun with.

Lifetime frame and fork warranty from a major player in the bike industry with good customer service.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Get the Boris. It's a better bike overall.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I don't want to buy a used bike sight-unseen... Maybe I'm too easily spooked, but buying a new bike online (with the manufacturer standing behind it) already makes me nervous.

Buying used online just opens up too many "what if" scenarios.

Now I'm really up in the air between the GMC (takes 5" tires) and the Boris (assuredly a better bike, but only 4" tires).

When I rented a Framed last year, its 4" tires sunk into the snow sometimes. Even wider would be better.
    I'd be more worried about buying a cheap $500 new bike vs. a good brand name used bike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prj71; 01-15-2018 at 11:22 AM.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    ^^x2

I bought my Mukluk used, site unseen. Nothing more than a couple pictures on craigslist.

People that have brand name fat bikes dont trash them (99% of the time) so even in used shape their still going to outlast cheap stuff unless you make changes and do the extra maintenance.

Nothing wrong with your choice but thought you should know to not worry so much about buying brand name used bikes.

mtbr member
    ^^^x3

I bought a used Ice Cream Truck sight unseen and it was one of the best purchases Iíve ever made. It was actually in better condition than what the pictures showed.

mtbr member
    I went and read the thread about the Yukon that Paul linked here. I would not buy the Yukon. Horrible welds, a freewheel, a chainring permanantly attached to the crank, etc are a no go for me. I would give some serious thought to purchasing used. There are a few listings on the 'bay that could fit the budget. Simply be diligent about communicating with the seller about the history of the bike and shipping. Look at the seller's history and feedback. If you are mechanically minded then doing a little wrenching shouldn't scare you and getting a bike that has standard parts will make it easier to fix rather than replace. I think DirtyHun also linked a new Framed MN 1.0 for a bit over the budget that would be better than the Yukon.

I don't mean to appear snobbish in any way, but that Yukon is no bueno.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The welds on the Yukon are no worse than the pictures of the BD Gravity Bullseye 27.5+ welds in this thread. Or on any <$1,000 aluminum frame I've seen.

New Gravity 27.5/29 + bikes?

What about lifetime frame warranty on the Yukon is confusing?
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    The welds on the Yukon are no worse than the pictures of the BD Gravity Bullseye 27.5+ welds in this thread. Or on any <$1,000 aluminum frame I've seen.

New Gravity 27.5/29 + bikes?

The welds on the MN2.2 I had were better IMO, but also were not indicative of a high end build with high QC. The welds on my current On One Fatty Trail frame are also better. The welds are not the only issue I have with the Yukon. I just don't care for the bike for me, my opinion is all it is. I respect your opinion, but also respectfully disagree. A lifetime warranty is still up to the discretion of the manufacturer, look to the fine print. There are a number of threads on here that are open questions to forum members about whether or not the manufacturer should honor the warranty.

My viewpoint has always been that I would rather have a great product with a crappy warranty/ customer service that never breaks rather than a product from a company that has a great warranty and customer service that I have to claim and use for a crappy product.

In any case, it's not my decision, it is only my opinion I have to share. Whatever you got... bring it, ride it and you're good by me.

mtbr member
    I'm no welder, but I think the welds on my Diamondback are better.

Cheap 5&quot; Fat Bike?-img_20180115_120755470.jpg

Not sure about the wording in the Yukon's warranty, but I'd hate to have to invoke it.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Not sure about the wording in the Yukon's warranty .
    . .
    Have a look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap 5&quot; Fat Bike?-kent-warranty.jpg  

Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Definitions of"normal" are a legal playground. But given that most people who buy these never take them off road further than gravel paths, they may not have to warranty many.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    I bought my Mukluk used, site unseen. Nothing more than a couple pictures on craigslist.

People that have brand name fat bikes dont trash them...
    You're braver than I am. It's a comfort-level thing, not a rational decision, I know.

FWIW, I'm not so worried about buying a pig-in-a-poke as I am worried about the bike being trashing in transit...

I'm no welder, but I think the welds on my Diamondback are better.
    The DB El Oso de Acera is really appealing, because it takes 5" tires and has Shimano shifters already.

Problems: It's out of stock in any thing larger than Medium (I'm 6'0" and want at least a Large), and it costs too much, anyway.

Not sure about the wording in the Yukon's warranty, but I'd hate to have to invoke it.
    Warranties are worthless to me. I can't imagine that I would ever invoke one.

I don't have a local Kent/GMC bike shop, and if something goes wrong I doubt that they would be any better than dealing with BikesDirect or BikeIsland (probably worse).

mtbr member
    Diamondback has at least 20 Larges in stock, I was just able to put them in my cart. $755 shipped, each ($15,105 for 20 )

Edit: that's the Oso Grande, not the Acera. I really need to work on my reading comprehension in this thread.

The DB El Oso de Acera is really appealing, because it takes 5" tires and has Shimano shifters already.

Problems: It's out of stock in any thing larger than Medium (I'm 6'0" and want at least a Large), and it costs too much, anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Edit: that's the Oso Grande, not the Acera. I really need to work on my reading comprehension in this thread.

Yeah, I could only do the Oso Grande if Diamondback includes a divorce lawyer, or at least a couples counselor!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    You're braver than I am. It's a comfort-level thing, not a rational decision, I know.

FWIW, I'm not so worried about buying a pig-in-a-poke as I am worried about the bike being trashing in transit...

Warranties are worthless to me. I can't imagine that I would ever invoke one.

I don't have a local Kent/GMC bike shop, and if something goes wrong I doubt that they would be any better than dealing with BikesDirect or BikeIsland (probably worse).
    You wont find kent in any bike shop EVER. Only in walmart, target, kmart etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    You wont find kent in any bike shop EVER. Only in walmart, target, kmart etc.
    That may be true.

It is certain that there are bikes in shops that were made in the same Chinese factory that a Yukon was, with the same materials, tooling, welders, and people.

The Yukon is not a high end bike. If you know how to wrench, it can be a good option for fun at a lower cost.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    We just booked our "snow" weekend for Presidents Day.

I hope Tahoe actually has some snow by then...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    What is the least expensive BikeDirect Fatbike that will take 26x4.8 SnoShoe XL Studded tires?

I will upgrade as I go. My Walmart Mongoose Malus steel fatbike is cheap enough that I DO beat the snot out of it. But I WANT MORE TIRE!!

a Ti is in the budget, but I want a 600-700 bike right now that will take 4.8 studded.

mtbr member
    The Lurch would be great option. It will take the 2XL snowshoes, or Boris the Brut that will definitely fit the XL. Both are good bikes in my opinion and are the cheapest that will clear a 4.8 tire.

What size are you looking for? You could also look at bikeisland.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Update... No snow at Tahoe, at least not on the cross-country trails.

I'll be back to shop for a fatbike next year...

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Find a KHS Four Seasons 1000 from the past two years... the frame/fork will clear Snowshoe XLs on 100mm rims with lots of snow space (even with a double ring) or 2XLs if you single ring it. So that's 4.8 inches with two rings or 5.2 inches with one.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread