Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

charge cooker maxi

likey? anyone?

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    From what I understand, isn't this the bike that Cannondale US dealers will have to sell?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    charge is owned by cannondale.

mtbr member

Re: charge cooker maxi

Supposed to be one out at our Global Fatbike Day ride for demos. Don't know if I'll get to throw a leg over it, but someone will.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    nice^^^^^^. a buddy of mine ordered 4 for his shop and i'll be riding one a week from tomorrow on dirt. may come home with one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    charge is owned by cannondale.
    Are you sure? Cannondale along with GT, Schwinn, Mongoose, Sugoi, and Caloi are owned by Dorel Corporation. No mention of Charge on their website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I own one and LOVE it! It may not be the lightweight bike some are looking for, may not be full suspension, but it's a GREAT bike. Go out and have fun!! As a shop owner, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to my clients.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    From what I understand, isn't this the bike that Cannondale US dealers will have to sell?
    It is the bike, we have sold a few already.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    saw the bike for the 1st time tonight in person. bought it right away. brilliant bike from fit to finish and rides light and comfy.

will be taking it out in the next coupla days

rog

mtbr member
    How are the brakes? I demoed one very shortly and the Promax brakes had hardly any bite. Stock tires had more self steer than I'm used to, but these things can be adjusted and/or changed.

I do kind of like the white with red spokes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    rode it for the 1st time this am on a mix of dirt road, paved road, powerline, and singletrack that was made up of dry trail, icy leaf cover trails, some snow, and some mud. brakes were perfect. barely had to put pressure on the levers. ran about 9psi in the v8's only a few slips on icy leaf steep climbs, but only studs woulda kept me goin there. tires handled fine all over.

got about a 1/2 inch of snow today and temps are in the 20's, so i'm stoked for the morning ride!

bike is super sweet. and easy on the wallet.

rog

mtbr member
    How tall are you guys and what size are you riding?

I am 5'7 and afraid the medium will be too long for me, my ideal effective top tube is 580ish and this thing is 602. Do they feel long in the top tube?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Mine should arrive at my LBS on Friday. Hopefully will be able to report some first ride feedback on saturday! I have also ordered some Surly Nate tires for the snow so I'll switch right off the bat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    How tall are you guys and what size are you riding?

I am 5'7 and afraid the medium will be too long for me, my ideal effective top tube is 580ish and this thing is 602. Do they feel long in the top tube?
    just under 6' in the morning. slighty less later on, but over 5'11. ride size large. perfect.

rog

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Charge's website says the bike is made of Tange seamless double butted cro-mo. Can some translate what that means for the untechnical?

Also I ride a 16" Kona Blast now and its over all a good size. Occasionally I fell bunched up but its good for the most part. Is a 15.5"(small) cooker maxi going to be a comprable size or would i be better off at the medium at 17". I ask because I can 't test ride the different sizes. THanks for the help

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Like all bikes, I think our choices of tires,brakes are always determined on what we choose. Here in New England, I can tell you that the tires "pack up" too easy and don't shed the snow/dirt... but then again in other areas, they might work just fine.

Have fun everyone!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Got it today! Two days faster than expected. First, this is my first fat bike, so keep that in mind. I race XC and on the road in the summer, so I love just about anything that revolves around riding on two wheels. The bike felt incredibly manoeuverable for a 35 pounds ride. Tire are definetely not a keeper in the snow. I will replace them as soon as I receive the Nates. Brakes are feeling good, but not that much powerfull. They seemed to have iced during the ride. But modularity is good and you don't need that much power in the snow and ice anyway.

The X5 shifters were a bit of a deception. I owned bikes on X7 and above before, and the X5 are sluggish, just not the usual Sram feeling i am used to.

Wheels are incredibely beautifull! And that thing floats over just about anything as long as you carry enough speed.

Overall, this feels like a very good bike for the price. Some parts might need upgrade (ex: tires) depending on where you ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    rode in the snow today. stock tires were totally fine. for the guy above i'd go 15.5 if your kona is a 16.

rog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmuchacho View Post
    Charge's website says the bike is made of Tange seamless double butted cro-mo. Can some translate what that means for the untechnical?
    I believe it is Tange (pronounced tahn-ghey) Infinity, I remember seeing it on a lot of Nishiki and Centurion road bikes from the late 80s/early 90s. It's a mid-range tubeset, which surprises me that this Charge bike is so cheap! It's seamless meaning that it's extruded tubing, not a flat sheet that was rolled into a tube, therefore stronger. Double butted means it's thicker on the ends than in the middle, saving weight. It's probably a smidge nicer tubing that what's used on the Surly bikes, but the specs don't say if all of the tubes are Tange Infinity or just the main triangle. Either way, it's nice quality steel, not to be confused with the old gas pipe Huffys and Schwinns of yesteryear.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    One thing that is easy to miss about the Maxi is that it has a 135mm rear triangle. Now that is a feature which is very useful and desirable for those wanting to fit IGH with one of the nice chain tensioners. 135mm choice is getting quite rare these days. It might also mean, like the Pugsley, that a 29er+ wheelset would work but no one seems to know yet.

Cooker Maxi

and suitable chain tensioner if using IGH

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/sin...nnen-ionic.jpg
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 12-12-2013 at 02:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    From how I understand it... Tange is an Asian grade of chromoly/steel that is supposedly a higher grade; lighter & stronger.

mtbr member
    Tange is a Japanese company that makes high quality chrome-moly steel tubing for bicycles. They are a direct competitor with Reynolds, Columbus, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have one, its a great bike for the money. I changed the v8's for a set of Nates and put a Renthal bar on it. The Nates made a huge difference to the bikes handling. I also thought the brakes were a bit week but they just took a bit of wearing in, a few rides later and they are fine, not the greatest but I wouldn't be changing them out too soon.

I'm 5'9 and the medium is perfect.

I am selling it though, due to having a fat bike epiphany and deciding to spend the cash I had for a new trail bike on a Borealis built up with XX1. I hadn't figured on fat biking being quite as much fun as it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nny_p View Post
    I hadn't figured on fat biking being quite as much fun as it is.
    It happens to us all, don't worry.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The postman just delivered the Nates today. Will be posting some feedback on saturday after test ride.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast