burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009

Charge Cooker 24" - thoughts?

My oldest daughter is outgrowing her 20" bike, and saw a Charge Cooker in the LBS the other day and immediately fell in love. I liked the general look of the bike and she rode the 20" easily. She's 4'2" and 65lbs right now, so I'm thinking by spring/summer (when I'd get the next bike) she'll be ready to slide onto a 24" bike and have a good 2-3 years in that size.

The Charge MSRP is $350 which is great, but the 24" is somewhere in the ballpark of 30-35lbs. I'm pretty sure that's gonna be too heavy... so a 2-sided question:

1 - Is there anything else out there that weighs significantly less, stock? Not impressed by the big S hitting 27ish lbs for over $1k.

2 - Has anyone had success dropping some serious weight off a kid's fat bike?

I have my own fat bike (Moto Sturgis) and I haven't done much of anything to it - sits around 35 lbs if I remember right, but I know I could get it down to 30-32 without too much money. I feel the weight on it when I'm going uphill though - so I can't imagine what a bike almost the same weight would feel like for someone weighing less than half of what I do!
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by burnedthetoast View Post
    She's 4'2" and 65lbs right now, so I'm thinking by spring/summer (when I'd get the next bike) she'll be ready to slide onto a 24" bike and have a good 2-3 years in that size.
    Is this bike for actual snow/sand riding or just an all around bike? Do you want your daughter to actually go riding with you, or is this more of a casual/play bike?

If you want your daughter to actually ride with you, then I'm of the opinion to build a bike as light as you can for a kid. Just because you think fat bikes are cool does't mean your daughter will. I learned the hard and expensive way.

Fat bikes have rotating weight at the worst possible spot and this is compounded when you are a 65 pound kid on even a 22-28 pound bike with the weight in the worst possible spot - wheels.

Imagine you are are 150 pounds. Does a 75 pound bike sound like fun to ride? This is basically the equivalent you are proposing. My son was able to feel the difference in a huge way just by me swapping out 650 gram tires to 450 gram tires.

Honestly been there and done that. My kids much preferred lighter bikes and had way more fun when they could actually climb hills. Build a 20 pound mountain bike if you can. My son now at 90 pounds and on a 26" fat bike wants to love his but with the weight at 27 pounds dry still struggles compared to his 21 pound 26" bike in just about every way (except snow of course). 90 vs. 27 pounds is roughly 1/3 his body weight.

Hope this helps! Sorry I didn't actually answer any of your questions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I looked at the 20" at the store. They've sold a few of them, I'd love to hear how it works, and I hope it works well for them. Store scale showed 35 lbs. I'm not ready to go for it because of the hills we need to ride to get to/from the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'd say the 35lbs should not be considered a deal-breaker. Yes, it's heavy, but at the price you can also budget in some upgrades. I built a fatbike for my son about a year ago (Twenty2 Cycles steel frame) and it's about 31lbs. He's 8, weighs just under 60 lbs, and has ridden it all over Fruita and Moab, as well as in the snow on both packed singletrack and snowmobile trails. He can bunny hop it well over 6" and is getting pretty good at jumping. So, sure, it's 50% of his weight, but it doesn't seem to bug him, and most importantly, HE RIDES IT. As a matter of fact, we're heading out now.

There are not a lot of lightweight fatbike options for anyone, let alone kid bikes. So, you can make a valid case why a kid should never be on a heavier bike, but that would also exclude just about every other kids bike on the market. Lots of 24"x2" bikes have 6lb forks that give less than 1/2" of travel, have kickstands welded on, and 36-spoke wheels with bolt-on hubs for the same money or more. They are really no lighter, yet there are plenty of kids on them.

The upshot is: you can't ride with your kid if they don't have a bike.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Is this bike for actual snow/sand riding or just an all around bike? Do you want your daughter to actually go riding with you, or is this more of a casual/play bike?
    Good question! All-around, snow if/when we get it. I like the concept of the wider tires for offering a bit more traction and forgiveness on rougher trails.

On your "equivalents" note: I see this tossed around all the time ("a 30lb bike for a 60lb kid is like a 75lb bike for a 150lb adult") and I don't really believe it's true. I had what was probably a 30lb bike for my first mtn bike when I was a young teenager, and it sure didn't feel like a 50-60lb bike would to me now. I think the equation is probably a bit less linear.

Thanks for the notes on what has/hasn't worked for you though! Definitely worth thinking about...

Human Test Subject
    Does your daughter even lift, bro?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Does your daughter even lift, bro?
    Yeah, but she always skips leg day.

mtbr member
    The Framed Mini-Sota 2.0 is right around 30lbs and they currently have $100 off using Promo Code MN100 making it $549 when you order it from The-House.com

On Sale Framed Mini-Sota Fat Bike 2015

Minisota2 | Framed Bikes

Framed Bikes Mini-Sota 24? ? Fat 4 Junior | FAT-BIKE.COM

They also have their new Framed Wolftrax Alloy Compact for $1049, but it's only available through Framed Dealers but it can run 4.8" tires and has a 1x10 drivetrain.

Wolftrax Alloy Compact 110 24?x4.0 | Framed Bikes

Mini-Sota 2.0 on scale
    Charge Cooker 24" - thoughts?-11188412_1827542584136713_3480660755052816061_n.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

Addict
    Don't rule out the Fatboy 24. Yes the original price was a little out in left field, but they can be had for a lot less right now. I have two on order from my LBS for my soon to be 8 and 10 year old sons. Can't wait until they come in and we can play together. Two bikes out the door for almost what Specialized listed originally MSRP at. I also looked at the other options, but decided to buy local for a little more money and both sides are happy. Either way you go I don't think you will be disappointed when everyone is smiling and riding together.

mtbr member
    Don't forget the Trek Farley 24. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j_53UX6rGM
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RENCRN8 View Post
    Don't rule out the Fatboy 24. Yes the original price was a little out in left field, but they can be had for a lot less right now. I have two on order from my LBS for my soon to be 8 and 10 year old sons. Can't wait until they come in and we can play together. Two bikes out the door for almost what Specialized listed originally MSRP at. I also looked at the other options, but decided to buy local for a little more money and both sides are happy. Either way you go I don't think you will be disappointed when everyone is smiling and riding together.
    Good to know on price! I don't think my LBS has them in stock, but I'll check.

Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by burnedthetoast View Post
    Good to know on price! I don't think my LBS has them in stock, but I'll check.
    Mine didn't either. That just helps your case as far as price goes. If they don't have any money invested they may be more flexible with price to move a unit.

GMBike
    Mar 2010
    We got my 9 yr. old daughter the Charge Cooker 24" for Christmas. Been on the beach (no snow or cold weather on Long Island yet) twice already. Great bike for the money, paid $350. It is heavy at about 35-37 lbs. but my daughter doesn't notice. The weak link on the bike is the grip shifter. It shifts to the higher # (harder) gears if you brush the grip.

Lots of fun! She loves it and now my wife wants one too! Soon to be a 3 Fat Bike Family.

mtbr member
    Congrats on your daughter getting and enjoying a fat bike, and what seems like a genuinely happy loving family.

Must be nice.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

GMBike
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the positive reply!
    Thanks,
    GMBike

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GMousouroulis View Post
    We got my 9 yr. old daughter the Charge Cooker 24" for Christmas. Been on the beach (no snow or cold weather on Long Island yet) twice already. Great bike for the money, paid $350. It is heavy at about 35-37 lbs. but my daughter doesn't notice. The weak link on the bike is the grip shifter. It shifts to the higher # (harder) gears if you brush the grip.

Lots of fun! She loves it and now my wife wants one too! Soon to be a 3 Fat Bike Family.
    Awesome! Glad to hear the weight isn't too much of an issue for her - and great to hear of a family biking together!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    So ... I realize this is an older thread. But Ive found a 24 Charge Cooker for $150 in this area. I dont think I can pass it up for that price if it will work for my 8-year old. For those of you with a kid on this bike, Im just curious about sizing? Hes a pretty tall kid and already has a nice bike, but this would be another fun way to spend time outside on snowy days and maybe even at a beach this summer.

GMBike
    Mar 2010
    The 24 Charge Cooker was a fun bike for my daughter. Shes 11, very tall (54) and has outgrown it.

The bike was a blast.
    Thanks,
    GMBike

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Got one for my taller 10 year old (5' 1" at the time) on clearance last spring.
    The bike fit well for him and he has enjoyed it.

One thing to double check, his bike didn't have all of the mounting bolts for the rear break disk. (only had three of the 6 or so)
    We didn't notice it until he hit the breaks on his third ride and it exploded/sheared off cracking the rear hub.

Given how fast he's growing I suspect we will be getting a new bike this spring, he has enjoyed the fat bike so far so we will likely be getting him another.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSmrk View Post
    Got one for my taller 10 year old (5' 1" at the time) on clearance last spring.
    The bike fit well for him and he has enjoyed it.

One thing to double check, his bike didn't have all of the mounting bolts for the rear break disk. (only had three of the 6 or so)
    We didn't notice it until he hit the breaks on his third ride and it exploded/sheared off cracking the rear hub.

Given how fast he's growing I suspect we will be getting a new bike this spring, he has enjoyed the fat bike so far so we will likely be getting him another.
    Thats bizarre! Sorry to hear about the brakes. I ended up picking up the one I found used. It was like new! I already swapped the grip shifter for a trigger shifter. I also slammed the stem (and have a shorter one on order). We went out on singletrack yesterday, and he said he had a blast! So Im glad I bought it. Just curious... has anyone swapped out the tires on this bike? Since I got a deal, Im looking for fairly inexpensive upgrades. (If I can shed some weight, well hold onto it and pass it down to his brother in s few years.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    anyone know if i can make the 24" cooker tubeless?