Wandering not Lost

Changing Brakes an d a few ?'s

I have a new Fatty coming and I would like to upgrade the brakes. The bike is a Salsa Carbon Beargrease x9 and I would like to opt out of the BB7's to a hydro brake.

I have a couple of questions and I figured you this would be the place to ask:

1. I am a big fan of Shimano Brakes but while I do live in TeJaS I have a fear of how they perform in the colder temps. I have had issues at 17 degrees on an Arkansas trip with a set of XTR's, and I do have intentions of this bike seeing colder than that. So I ask you guys that live up north... Has shimano remedied this issue, or should I just stay away from the mineral oil brakes?

2. Whatever brakes I choose does the front brake need to be a Rear brake also? ...yea in a normal conversation that would be a confusing statement but I think you guys know what I am asking. Do I need to order two rear brakes of whatever I settle on?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love my Shimano XT brakes (BR-M785) with the Ice Tech rotors. I have gone from one extreme to another with them...no issues. Did the Susitna 100 in the Alaska cold, Gravel Worlds in the summer heat and SM100 (XC race) with over 12,00ft of downhill.

Sorry, I can't remember if I picked up 2 rears or a front/rear.

Changing Brakes an d a few ?'s-icext.jpg

Wandering not Lost
    So Redline At Susitna how low of temps did you encounter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BThor View Post
    So Redline At Susitna how low of temps did you encounter?
    The lowest seen during the race was around -1 at night. I have since ridden in local (Wash DC area)freezing temps around 30-ish without issue.

Nuts
    I had trouble with the older 775's at -15f but maybe they fixed that now. You will need to order one front brake and one rear.

Edit: I love Shimano brakes but if it was me I would go for some Hopes or Formulas.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I don't get it. Why would the front brake need to be a rear brake?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think the spacing on the hubs; some of the 135mm fatbike front hubs space the brake rotor the same as a rear hub. This helps with the whole, switch your front wheel for your back wheel in a pinch, idea (on 135-135 setups like a Pugs).

I actually never knew that the rotors were spaced differently on front and rear MTB hubs until I started reading up on fatbikes and this issue came up.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I don't get it. Why would the front brake need to be a rear brake?
    I'm guessing he is thinking a rear needs to be a front but when in all reality sometimes it's just the front adaptor needs to be swapped out for a rear adaptor. I do believe the Beargrease is a post mount for for 160mm rotor so no adaptor needed.

Like stated above order one of each.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I can't answer the cold question as I've never ridden a bike with hydraulic brakes in temps below 35 degrees.

But as others have mentioned, you need 1 front and 1 rear brake, period.

(If you have one of the non-standard forks/hubs (Jones, etc.) you may need brake rotor spacers but if you're running a standard Salsa fork that won't be an issue)

Lord Thunderbottom
    if you were to order 2 rear brakes you will also have to cut down the hose and re-bleed as they come pre-bled with everything assembled already
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    if you were to order 2 rear brakes you will also have to cut down the hose and re-bleed as they come pre-bled with everything assembled already

And if they are not flip flop levers one will be upside down and not many are.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I didn't think the spacing from caliper body to rotor was different front to rear, but even if it is, I don't see why that standard spacing would have to change if you increase the axle length.

Wandering not Lost
    Thanks guys.. adequately informed and confused all together just a poke.. I get it I was just not sure and I seemed to remember that there were some differences in the past.

Now... Let's keep going on the COLD and SHIMANO?

Nuts
    There has been a few instances where people have reported problems with Shimano brakes in the cold and to my knowledge it was the older style. But mineral oil does get thicker when cold and maybe the newer models have ports bigger that can deal with it better, don't know and I'm sure people will chime in and say they have had great luck. If I was buying new brakes and planned on extended riding in extreme cold -10f and down I would never buy a mineral powered braking system. Right now I am on Formulas but my next brakes will be Hopes and for summer I am rocking xtr all day. long.
    And I love beer!!