Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Challenge accepted- Mongoose Beast.

So after seeing people playing around with these bikes I thought I'd have a go of it.

I wanted to make it as light and reliable as I could afford to justify into this over weight pos.

Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130912_162201-1_zps98f3ecdd.jpg

After hearing crank problems I knew I had to do something there. BB is 110mm and I started with a 100mm raceface. I turned a plug to press inside the crank spindle and then cut and widened the spindle about 18mm to make sure the crank arms clear the chain stays.

Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130919_222139-1_zpsb3ddaf98.jpg

Inserted, cut, welded, and pad welded.
    Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130919_230754-1_zps3bb9fbbf.jpg

Welding up the new chain stay braces from the frame width change. Sitting about 180mm width now for the brake mount bracket and hub.
    Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130921_235110-1_zps849f9021.jpg

Rough mock up. Sporting a Carver O'beast carbon fork. Brakes are Tektro Pros, wheels are Graceful Fat Shebas with Surly front hub and Salsa rear.
    Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130921_221321-1_zpsc04fe7c4.jpg

Rim diet.
    Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130925_235822-1_zpsda6aace1.jpg

And as of yesterday... House of Kolor candy tangerine. Also weld a seat post brace in for good measure.
    Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130926_165611-1_zpsb52f50de.jpg
    Last edited by xtreamedrtbker; 10-02-2013 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice work. Wish I had those welding & painting skills.
    Current bikes: 2010 Raleigh Talus 29er with Ergon GP5 grips, Shimano PD-T420 Click'R pedals, Topeak Explorer 29" Disc MTX Rear Rack and Topeak DXP bag.

2013 Walmart Mongoose Beast blue

"Put The Fun Between Your Legs"
    "26" isn't Dead, it just got FAT"
    "I Dream On Two Wheels"
    "Be The Motor, You Are The Engine"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Heat treat on the BB spindle?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi. Sorry I'm a bit of a dolt when it comes to this stuff, but what specifically did you do to the chain stays? I get your description, but the pic with the carver fork makes the chain stays appear as if they have been altered beyond just the brace. Is that just an optical illusion?
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hardness of the bottom bracket are not that hard. It cut with a hack saw. Its most likely harder now then it was before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Hi. Sorry I'm a bit of a dolt when it comes to this stuff, but what specifically did you do to the chain stays? I get your description, but the pic with the carver fork makes the chain stays appear as if they have been altered beyond just the brace. Is that just an optical illusion?
    I removed the old kick stand mount and top chain stay brace to make the width change. Lots of forming and bending and pulling to make it right. I then did a curved 1/2" top brace and a 5/8" bottom brace to tie it all back together. I also trimmed some off the drop out brackets to make them a little cleaner.

mtbr member
    Thats awesome dude! Good Job! I love that these bikes are getting cut up and made better. Heres to an awesome build!

Any reason you went 180mm in the rear? Or is that just how it ended up? Ive got an XT hub im going to widen and was planning on 190mm, but if 180 works....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreamedrtbker View Post
    Hardness of the bottom bracket are not that hard. It cut with a hack saw. Its most likely harder now then it was before.
    That may be a problem- see this thread:
    Shimano 100mm crank= Total Failure

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    That may be a problem- see this thread:
    Shimano 100mm crank= Total Failure
    Man I hold my head in shame and my b@lls start to hurt when this thread gets resurrected. Maybe the OP will have better luck as the Shimano was very very hard to begin with but warning be very careful this almost got me killed literally. I believe it was 38 frameworks (?) that was trying to do the same thing but I haven't heard anything on that in a long time.
    And I love beer!!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Why not lace up the new Borealis Carbon rims for this build as well to go with the forks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Man I hold my head in shame and my b@lls start to hurt when this thread gets resurrected. Maybe the OP will have better luck as the Shimano was very very hard to begin with but warning be very careful this almost got me killed literally. I believe it was 38 frameworks (?) that was trying to do the same thing but I haven't heard anything on that in a long time.
    When I read about the BB extension I cringed too.

Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained....

And it's good to see folk experimenting.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have my worries on it also, but the metal was pretty soft, which should work in my favor in this. Worst thing that can happen is a failure of the shaft. If it does, then I will just machine a all new one.

If I could justify a carbon wheel set, I would. Its a mongoose after all...

mtbr member
    I have my worries on it also, but the metal was pretty soft, which should work in my favor in this. Worst thing that can happen is a failure of the shaft. If it does, then I will just machine a all new one....
    I think it's we're worried about the consequence of the shaft failure on your future reproductive capacity. Perhaps if you put a BMX pad on your toptube it may be safer...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

nothing to see here
    Why didn't you just cut the bb shell down by 5mm each side?

edit: I see why now, crank clearance, and I second what Craig said below.
    Last edited by Stevob; 09-29-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Pardoning the obvious answer of "because it was there", why on earth would you do this with all the skill and tooling you seem to possess?

Just build yourself a sweet frame!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A cup might have to be in order..

I do have all the tooling to make a frame, except for a frame jig, which is on the wish list. I was trying to find out which one is the best for the money. The mongoose was just to see if I could pull it all off properly.

I come from a big motorcycle back ground and I find bicycles to be a fun and exciting new outlet to play around with without breaking the bank.

I started riding off road and doing a mtb race this summer (have a '13 specialized epic carbon comp and a hardrock) and found the excitement that I used to have when I raced motorcycles. So I found a roadie to train on (2003 Lemond Nevada City) and started riding to work everyday. Lets just say, I haven't put more then a 100 miles on a motorcycle this summer. Totally a new found passion.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Pardoning the obvious answer of "because it was there", why on earth would you do this with all the skill and tooling you seem to possess?

Just build yourself a sweet frame!

Exactly.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    When I read about the BB extension I cringed too.

Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained....

And it's good to see folk experimenting.
    Yes it is and I so miss the days of old where fabricating was required.
    That being said when my crank broke I was jumping out into vehicle traffic at the time and it almost took me down in front of a car. That is where my only concern is but hey have fun and go nuts. Oh and why didn't you weld disc brake tabs on the rear or did I miss something?
    And I love beer!!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I come from a big motorcycle back ground and I find bicycles to be a fun and exciting new outlet to play around with without breaking the bank.

I started riding off road and doing a mtb race this summer (have a '13 specialized epic carbon comp and a hardrock) and found the excitement that I used to have when I raced motorcycles. So I found a roadie to train on (2003 Lemond Nevada City) and started riding to work everyday. Lets just say, I haven't put more then a 100 miles on a motorcycle this summer. Totally a new found passion.
    I work in the motorcycle industry- I've ridden +2500 miles on my bicycle in the past 15 months, 2 miles on a motorcycle. Pushbikes are more fun than even MC roadracing.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Glad to see some process shots! Getting some good feedback and response too! Lets go shred MB Johnson sometime soon with Shaggy!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Glad to see some process shots! Getting some good feedback and response too! Lets go shred MB Johnson sometime soon with Shaggy!
    For sure buddy! Thanks for all the help along the way.

Made the chain tensioner today and did most of the final assembly. Still waiting on my front brakes and pedals. I'll have more detailed photos in the next few days.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-1381158_10200492641864451_576628069_n_zps383cfa90.jpg  

Anchorage, AK
    Awesome.
    --Peace

Laramie, Wyoming
    It does look good. Who says lipstick doesn't look good on a pig?

Now, can we correct the wording in the thread title from "challenge excepted" to "challenge accepted"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It does look good. Who says lipstick doesn't look good on a pig?

Now, can we correct the wording in the thread title from "challenge excepted" to "challenge accepted"?
    Yeah I noticed that after making the post. Don't think I can change it from my account. Not the sharpest mind after a long day...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Few detail shots. Did some riding on it and like how it feels.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Challenge excepted - Mongoose Beast.-img_20130930_184826_zpsf60dee9e.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast