mtbr member

Chain wear on fat bikes - do chains wear quicker?

Just throwing this one out to general fat bike community here. I've a 10 speed Farley 5 that has been well looked after but ridden regularly in pretty poor UK weather...some beach riding also but not too much. I think I've looked after the chain pretty well but it's now just past 0.75 wear mark with around 2200 km (1367 miles) on it. It's a nice chain (KMCX10) that sheds grime easily. Seems to me that's a high amount of wear for not many miles compared to other road & MTB bikes I run. Do other fat bikers think wear chains more quickly on them due to conditions and some of strain put on them in steep technical climbs? It could be just the chain as most of my others are Shimano.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use KMC chains almost exclusively and haven't noticed a wear difference vs. other brands. Fatbike chains do wear faster for me though, for a couple reasons. The first reason being sloppy conditions. Mud, snow, sand, etc. This bike is exposed to conditions my other bikes are not. The second reason being winter, when it's cold in my garage and I don't want to do my normal bike maintenance routine!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

turtles make me hot
    Yep. Especially after a bunch of beach rides. I usually start the winter with a fresh chain and replace it again when it starts to get nice in the spring. I usually go the rest of the year again on that chain.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    ok cheers so far. Yep, even if you wash & lube after a beach ride I'm sure any sand kicked up during the ride does absolutely no good for the remainder of that ride. Fat bikes can climb like monster trucks with the right gearing and I'm sure that also puts massive strain on the chain.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    ok cheers so far. Yep, even if you wash & lube after a beach ride I'm sure any sand kicked up during the ride does absolutely no good for the remainder of that ride. Fat bikes can climb like monster trucks with the right gearing and I'm sure that also puts massive strain on the chain.
    That's another thing. I'm heavy and when I'm in shape, I can diesel up some really steep stuff. I've bent cassettes, and wrinkled aluminum freehubs. I have a chain length checker and check my chain fairly regularly. Sometimes, I will go through a chain mid summer.
    I like turtles

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Actually thats pretty good mileage. I change my chains between .5 and .75, saves cassettes and chain rings that way. Which is about 1/2 your mileage in good conditions. I get maybe 300-400 out of my chains on my fat bike during the winter.

Also, riding in sand is the worst possible thing on a drivetrain, especially beach sand. High salt content. I dont have the salt issue for "beach sand" here, its river banks but thay and mud combine with exposure to road salt eats chains. And with an un-heated garage I dont mess with trying to clean them really well.

But I dont get that mileage out of chains on my trail bike, about half that and Im happy. When chain rings are $60 each, cassettes almost $100, Id rather change chains early versus wearing out the rest of my drivetrain. Even my fat bike cassette is still in perfect condition after 3 years, chainrings are still good but starting to show wear from riding in the crap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

rth009
    May 2010
    1300 miles is a lot of miles for a chain in my view, it owes you nothing. I change my chains every ca. 500 miles to avoid having to replace rings and cassettes. If I ran a chain 1300+ miles, rings and cassette would be toast. At that mileage, I would say keep riding it until it breaks because your rings and cassette wont likely work with a new chain.

All fat, all the time.
    I think it's because fat bikes tend to be ridden in places like the beach and deep snow more often than skinny tire bikes , so just more wear in general because of conditions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I think it's because fat bikes tend to be ridden in places like the beach and deep snow more often than skinny tire bikes , so just more wear in general because of conditions
    I hear ya! On my second headset due to so much crap getting thrown up from wheels and multiple washes. Might just get one of those Mucky Nutz guards to try and keep some of the crap off...although I don't really like the look of the things.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Degrease chains in Pariffin then lube with Squirt Dry lube on the coast. Used this over 8 years now and i get longer chain life out chains beachriding than i did when riding regular MTB`s...
    Short chain life is as much to do with some of the shocking chain lines of some Fatbikes than with sand and wear. Pugsley`s and Moonlanders even set up 1 x 10 have an ideal chainline and 1 chain a year is easy.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks all. Sounds like I've got decent life out of this chain so it doesn't owe me anything. Hopefully I've got to it in time but if the cassette and chainrings are toast then it's always an excuse to go 1x11.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.