Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Chain Suck with E13 Cranks

Has anyone else out there had any chain suck issues with their E13 cranks? As a shop we have 3 people - including myself on them - and we all have chain suck problems on the same rides. The people with the Truvativ crank and Mr Whirly cranks are not having the same problems. We keep cleaning the chains and lube the chains after every ride... but it is getting to be alot of work. Has anyone tried different rings? or has anyone found a solution?

I like everything about the cranks except for the chain suck issues and the fact that maybe every 5-8 rides I have to pull the BB and regrease it because of grit and contamination. I talked to someone at E13 a while back and they said there is a new BB coming out - does anyone know if it is out yet?

thanks for any info you all might have

Bite Me.
    Mine have been running fine with no chainsuck. I have a good chainline since I moved the cassette out 5mm to avoid tire rub. I have a couple hundred miles on the cranks at least and not one instance of suck. Maybe it's your chain?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am running all 3 spacers on the drive side. I am going to move one over to the non drive side and see if that improves my chain line. My chain, cassette and crank were all new when i built the bike up. I tried a new chain 2 weeks ago and had the same problem on the 1st ride with that chain.... so I am thinking it is either a chain line issue or a chain ring issue.....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No chainsuck issues on my E13 equipped Mukluk 2. I run BFLs, so the cassette is down 1 gear, and spaced over. Pics and detail here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had it happen once, in the big ring while downshifting.

I've got hundred of miles in. We'll see if it happens again.

ouch....
    None here.
    What lube do you use?
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    are you using a 10sp chain on 9sp chain rings? I've heard it can contribute to chain suck. I rode all of 2011 on my mtb with a 9 speed drivetrain and a 10sp chain with no issues though.

Bite Me.
    I'm pretty certain E13 recommends to not run 3 spacers on the drive side - should be 2 on the drive and one on the non-drive. I'm running a spacer next to the shell and then the E-type derailleur on the outside, and one spacer with one or two of the thin/ wavy washers on the ND side. So far it's been good, but I was a little concerned about the rather limited seal on the bearings - curious if anyone knows more about the allegedly new BB ?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had some minor issues on my 2011 Mukluk 2 on a dry sand beach ride, but none lately. I'd also be interested in the BB improvements should there be any.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had real bad chain suck for one ride in really sloppy slush / mud conditions that really ate up the paint on my chain stay. But changed my lube from a wax based to an oil based and haven't had the problem since in some sloppier riding days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Muk2 with the 3 spacers on drive side, and no 22 tooth ring, only the 32 and a bash guard. And it has chain suck when it gets muddy and snowy, so it may have to do with the ramps on the e13 chainring, or the KMC chain. Buddy has one too, same issues.

mtbr member

Happened Once

I had that problem 15 minutes into a ride on a just-built bike. I assumed it was a bad shift, and the problem didn't re-occur. Good thing I had a 9 speed SRAM chain with a Powerlink.

mtbr member

I had this..

I have this on my Fatback with the e13 set-up. It was from the middle ring to the chain stay (with out me attempting to shift).

I finally changed the chain and while the chain was off, I scrubbed and check the chain rings - even sanded a couple of them.
    Hasn't happened since I've done all of that, but maybe have 70 - 100 miles only on them since.

If it starts up again, I'm going to change out the chain ring,

Also - interested in a new BB from them as well.
    "To Name me, is to label me." -
    Michi or Dick Van Patton

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Is KMC chain the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Devine Intervention View Post
    I had that problem 15 minutes into a ride on a just-built bike. I assumed it was a bad shift, and the problem didn't re-occur. Good thing I had a 9 speed SRAM chain with a Powerlink.
    From what I can tell, the KMC Z99 chain they use is a low end chain. I can't even find it online to confirm the price. With the SRAM chain (971 or 991 are my usual XC chains) is anyone having that problem?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    We have tried a bunch of different lubes at our shop on employee bikes and our demo fleet. Squirt seems to be the best combination of being a protector and durable lube. It is a wax based lube though.

I have been using a SRAM 971 chain. None of us with the e13 have had any issues with chain suck in the big ring - only the middle and 22.

I just pulled my BB again and found my non drive side bearings to be nearly seized up.... i just repacked it with grease last week - so it lasted me 2 rides. It got me thinking though about replacing the existing bearings with Phil Wood press fit 30 bearings. It looks like the outer diameter is the same as the e13 bb uses.... has anyone tried replacing their e13 bearings? i will call e13 today and see if i can get more info on the release date of their new BB.

rth009
    May 2010
    Ive got a Muk2 with 3 drive side spacers, a full 9 speed cassette, and all 3 chainrings. Ive had suck a few times in the middle ring, but only when the chain is really mucked up with mud, seriously sticky mud that sticks to the tires and then coats the chain. I think that KMC chain is a POS though, I lube and clean regularly with blue RocknRoll and Ive had 3 links seize tight in only 220 miles.

Nuts
    I've heard of a few problems with the chain rings on the E 13's. I never did but I know Pete B. from Speedway had problems and was talking about it.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have experienced chain suck one day and it was during a race. The conditions were really muddy and soft, so the only thing I could think of is the chain was stiff from all of the dirt. The race was a team event were I shared my bike with three other riders. I was the first person to ride the loop from my team, the next three time that I made the loop I would hear an awful sound, I thought it was dirt in the BB. But it was during my last loop that I realized what was making that awful noise. I have a Ti mukluk and only use the middle, 32T, chainring of my e13 crank and have 9-speed cassette. I followed the installation instructions for the crank, so I have two spacers on the drive side and one on the non-drive side. Bike is sitting until I have time to do a thorough cleaning and I have more brake pads. Sand and mud is hell on brakes.

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hey Guys,
    Chris here from e*thirteen. Stoked to see such a constructive discussion on a forum. Great stuff!

Just a couple of pointers if you are experiencing chainsuck:

1. Make sure that the crank is set up with the proper chainline as this can impact the possibility of chainsuck. If your bike is a 68mm BSA shell: 2 of the 2.5mm spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non drive side. If a 73mm BSA shell: Just 1 on the drive side. A few mm really does make a difference when it comes to chainline and chainsuck.

2. We have found that Shimano chains are less likely to chainsuck when compared with SRAM. According to our engineers, this is due to SRAM using more clearance between the pins and bushings than Shimano which means the chain can flex more side to side. This helps with upshifts, but is bad for chainsuck.

3. If you are running your crank set up as a SS. Be sure that you are running a non ramped and pinned ring. We offer our Guiderings is 7 different colors and sizes from 32-40 in 1 tooth increments.

4. If you, or your shop is having a tough time solving your chainsuck (or any other issue related to our products) give us a call. We can work through the problem with you and hearing about any issues you are having is important feedback for us. Our office number is 800.801.9936. You can also drop us a line via email at info@bythehive.com

Hopefully that helps a bit. Give us a ring or fire off an email if you have more questions or need some additional info.

Cheers,

Chris

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Perigeum Development View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Chris here from e*thirteen. Stoked to see such a constructive discussion on a forum. Great stuff!
    Totally awesome to have a company come on and provide thoughts.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perigeum Development View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just a couple of pointers if you are experiencing chainsuck:

1. Make sure that the crank is set up with the proper chainline as this can impact the possibility of chainsuck. If your bike is a 68mm BSA shell: 2 of the 2.5mm spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non drive side. If a 73mm BSA shell: Just 1 on the drive side. A few mm really does make a difference when it comes to chainline and chainsuck.

Chris
    Cool you are here but you should realize this is the fat bike forum 100mm bb all the way!
    And I love beer!!

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Darn...I looked right past that! How in the world....? Complete brainfart.

So yes, for 100mm shell, 2 of the 2.5mm BB spacers on the drive and 1 on the non-drive.

Thanks for catching that Bdundee!

CC

mtbr member
    Perigeum Development:

My stock Muk 2 came with all three spacers on the drive side. It is working just fine for me, but is this not recommended? If I leave it this way, am I going to hurt something or should I switch it to 1 non, 2 drive.

No chain suck issues here, although the stock chain on the muk 2, does seem a little rough. Have to keep it very lubed for it to sound smooth.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insainio View Post
    Perigeum Development:

My stock Muk 2 came with all three spacers on the drive side. It is working just fine for me, but is this not recommended? If I leave it this way, am I going to hurt something or should I switch it to 1 non, 2 drive.
    I know of people run them like this but they are not centered with the frame and there is very little thread left in the bb. I set one up just to see how much clearance I would gain with a bfl and there is no way I would've rode the bike like that. Just my 2 cents.
    And I love beer!!

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Insainio,
    Let me check with Salsa if there is a reason I'm not aware of that those were assembled w/3 on the drive side. It is possible that it was done for chain/tire clearance when you are in the 22t chainring and largest cog in the back. As I know things have started getting tight there with some of the new larger tires. Ill have to get back to you on this one.

Within reason, you won't hurt anything running it that way as long as your ND crank has plenty of clearance on the stays. There is some concern about thread engagement when you run 3 spacers on one side however, so if you are riding really aggressively (drops/jumps/hard impacts) it would probably be worth correcting. Even with a 2.5mm shift outboard it is still possible that everything works fine and shifts correctly. Since chainsuck can be caused by lots of different things, when we are trying to diagnose that problem, chainline is one of the things to check.

Back at ya with some info soon.

CC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast