mtbr member

Cassette Cog Removal Questions

Hoping for some help with my wife's Mukluk. I picked up a Clownshoe rim for it and fit a BFL to it for some sand riding. The bike has an MWOD crankset with a 2 x 9 setup. The wheel and tire fit well but 4th gear is as low as u can go with decent chain-tire clearance.

So I removed the top 3 cogs on an 11-34 Sram cassette and spaced it outwards. That part went okay. The problem is that the 34 tooth sprocket, which I now in the old 4th gear position, will not clear the jockey wheel of the rear dérailleur. I have it adjusted all the way back and there is still interference. I tried both an X7 and an X9 derailleur. So that leads me to question 1: is there a derailleur that has more clearance in that area? Part b of question 1 is for those that have done this how much sprocket will generally fit in the 4th gear position? I do have an 11-32 tooth cassette somewhere so I can see if 2 teeth less will help with clearance.

Question 2 is the lockring. On a standard cassette installation the lockring is tightened against the smallest sprocket which has splines on its face. The truncated cassette does not have this. Should I be concerned? I'm assuming I still tighten the ring to the prescribed 40nM, yes?

Thanks in advance for help or suggestions!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    1. All derailleurs designed for standard cassette: largest sprocket is near spokes, not on middle of freehub.
    Two solutions: (1) custom longer hanger or (2) spaser between derailleur and hanger.

2. I think, there is no problem with lockring. But last flat sprocket (if it not mount on alu spider) may not put on splines of freehub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AltairNsk View Post
    1. All derailleurs designed for standard cassette: largest sprocket is near spokes, not on middle of freehub.
    Two solutions: (1) custom longer hanger or (2) spaser between derailleur and hanger.

2. I think, there is no problem with lockring. But last flat sprocket (if it not mount on alu spider) may not put on splines of freehub.
    Thanks! I hadn't thought of spacing out the derailleur. I'll see what a few mm will do for me. A custom hanger is a great plan and I do have access to a laser cutter... but I won't be able to pull it off soon enough for my 4th of July beach ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You moved cassete (large cog) for some distance. You need move deraileur for same distance with spacer. It will the same as on standard bike (without smallest cogs).

Laser cutter not good. It needs milling machine.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I don't use SRAM derailleurs, but can you throw on a longer B tension screw to space it out farther?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Anchorage, AK

Re: Cassette Cog Removal Questions

Any room to offset the wheel a bit to the left? Is so, maybe you could get enough room to add back a sprocket our two.

--Lars
    --Peace

Nemophilist
    Hey;

SRAM X7 with Shinano 12-36 9spd cassette. I have two cogs removed right now. It required a longer low limit screw, which also limited the high range as well, oddly enough. It works but it is not ideal. I would not expect 3 removed to work at all. A custom hanger would probably help. I'd use 1018 steel.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

SRAM X7 with Shinano 12-36 9spd cassette. I have two cogs removed right now. It required a longer low limit screw, which also limited the high range as well, oddly enough. It works but it is not ideal. I would not expect 3 removed to work at all. A custom hanger would probably help. I'd use 1018 steel.
    Yep, I tried a longer low limit screw as well. I found the same thing on the x9 and x7 - that screw can only be so long before it starts limiting the high limit. Strange. At any rate I messed with it a bit at lunchtime and found that two gears removed is about the max. I have it mocked up that way now and it looks if I shift into the 34 tooth sprocket (which is now in the old 3rd gear position) I'll get a bit of chain rub. As Lars suggested I may actually be able to dish the wheel a touch to eliminate it. Currently the wheel actually looks to be dished slightly to the drive side.

For this weekend I'll just tell the wife to stay out of low (AKA "Third") gear.

mtbr member
    Update - I decided to stick with just 6 gears for now. That seems to be the best I can do. I was able to grind a small amount from the x9 derailleur so the longer low limit screw didn't affect the high limit so I can shift into all 6 gears and no others.

I also decided to custom stack a cassette. I had an old Shimano 11-32 cassette which can be disassembled. I built it up with two "crawler" gears (32 and 28 teeth), and then there is a big step to the old 2-5 gears. Sorry, I don't remember the tooth count. So the new stack is built with the original speeds 2-5, 8, and 9. Yes, it is a clif between gears 5 and 8 but it shifts up and down just fine.

We rode some crushed gravel and some sand and the dual-mode gearing worked great! I may consider 3 low and three high gears yet but for now it seems a good compromise.