mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Carver Trans Fat Obeast Full Suspension

Does anybody have any info about these full suspension fat bikes to share with me. I know they are titanium framed.

mtbr member
    I contacted the manufacturer last year about one. They would be great if you only want to run 4" tires on Rolling Darrel's. They will not fit the big stuff. The only other bad point is the weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If only they had a website with all of the pertinent info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have been on the website I have my bike ordered .I wanted some feedback from someone else who might have gotten one already. OK

mtbr member
    This poster here talks about his actual experience with this bike.

What, no one's going to post this here? Full squish Carver fat, the "Trans Fat".

Tim

mtbr member
    A guy that works at on of the LBS got one and put it on his Farley. They had high hopes for it but it didn't go well from the beginning. Opened box with some oil present, mounted it up and couldn't keep it sealed. It was returned and they were not happy with their first impressions.

My thoughts, I like the concept of inverted forks but you are fighting one mother of forces. Gravity!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a medium trans fat with the suspension fork. It weights 35 pounds, and is an amazing bike. I use it everywhere from my usual singletrack to the beach. Have not used it in snow, I'm in california. It's great for our loose trails over hard pack. I'm running marge lights with nates and there is plenty of room for larger tires.
    The rear suspension is quite well developed. It's not a simple pivot, but has an additional Horst linkage in the bak. It has a fox shock, and has 4 travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calves2997 View Post
    I have a medium trans fat with the suspension fork. It weights 35 pounds, and is an amazing bike. I use it everywhere from my usual singletrack to the beach. Have not used it in snow, I'm in california. It's great for our loose trails over hard pack. I'm running marge lights with nates and there is plenty of room for larger tires.
    The rear suspension is quite well developed. It's not a simple pivot, but has an additional Horst linkage in the bak. It has a fox shock, and has 4 travel.
    I would love to have one. But it will not fit Bud/Lou on Clownshoes. That is my tire/Rim criteria for any new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get mine Carver said in a couple of weeks should be done.

mtbr member
    Update:
    I have been in contact with Carver. They are producing the Trans -Fat one at a time and can do a 190 centered frame to accommodate a Lou on a Clownshoe. I am now seriously considering selling my Cannondale Trigger 29er-1 to purchase the Trans -Fat frame. I would swap everything off my 9-zero-7, 190 including my Lefty. I mostly ride summer single track and rocky terrain so this would be an amazing ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bike just came in and it looks great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Looks great. Can we get some more pictures and maybe geometry? I am waiting to hear some good reports before placing my order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thats a great looking bike! Congrats!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks I will post more pictures and info soon.

ouch....
    How does it ride???? That's the most important thing
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bike is XL frame and 37pounds with all the accessories on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carver Trans Fat Obeast Full Suspension-094.jpg  

mtbr member
    Geometry, rear spacing, tire/wheel clearance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If you want all specs call Forrest Carver he will tell you everything he is very helpful 207-442-7002

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    If you want all specs call Forrest Carver he will tell you everything he is very helpful 207-442-7002
    I am currently in communications with Carver about building one for me but. I am trying to get the opinions and information of the other seven people that they have built these for. Each one they have built are different depending on the customers needs/wants. Do you not know the dimensions/geometry of your bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    If you ask Forrest for the blueprint sheet he sent me on the frame before he built it that will show you all dimensions and geometry. I had it in my email but I got rid of it. Just tell him Rich Hobbie bike . I think it was the last one they built.

Your Best Friend

Re: Carver Trans Fat Obeast Full Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by calves2997 View Post
    It's not a simple pivot, but has an additional Horst linkage in the bak.
    Uh. Nope.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Took it out today at my local trails North Jersey typical rocky and rooty . It handled amazing rolled over everything so smoothly. My back is very happy. It was a little wet and the traction was great standing up cranking with no spin on hills. I am very happy with this bike.