Thread: Carver semi-fat

mtbr member

Carver semi-fat

I finally got the bike out for ride in the snow on Sunday and got some pictures. I have not commited to full fat because I'm usually skiing, and it's rare that we have snow on the ground for extended periods here in southern NY. So I've been collecting parts and tweeking my winter ride for a few years now, and this is my latest incarnation. Here are the important spec's:

Carver 29er Ti frame
    Black Sheep Ti 29er fork (borrowed from my SS)
    Wheels: Black Hope Singlespeed disk rear and disk from hubs
    NOS Stans Olympic FR rims
    Surly Endomorph front tire
    Specialized Big Hit 3.0" rear tire
    XTR M950 crank with a 28t Homebrewed Components spiderless chainring
    6 cogs (33-14) on the SS hub
    Old XTR M951 short cage rear derailleur
    Old XT Thumbshifter

The Carver is my geared bike normally and run with a 29er Alfine wheel and Fox fork. I removed the Fox and borrowed the Black Sheep fork from my SS, which fits the Endo on the Stan's FR rim no problem. I am working on a dedicated fork for this, and have a broken One On carbon fork on the way to me . I am impressed with the tire clearance of the Carver frame, plus it has sliders to get the tire where it has the most clearance, they are all the way forward right now. I may be able to squeeze an endo in the rear on this rim which would be awesome, but it'll be real tight! The Specialized Big Hit is pretty good though. I ran a Gazzaloddi last winter, and the Big Hit is slightly larger, slightly lighter, and was easier to mount than the Nokian, all pluses in my book! I picked up a pair on Ebay NOS a few months ago.

I know it's no substitute for a full fat, for my limited needs I can't justify another bike. It's fun to get out in the snow and do some pedaling, and to see the looks on peoples faces that are out snowshoeing or XC skiing! I will post some ride pictures in the 'Daily Fatbike pic' thread as well.

Enjoy,
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carver semi-fat-fat-carver-1.jpg  

Carver semi-fat-carver-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Whoops, wrong second picture! That's the Carver in 29er mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carver semi-fat-fat-carver-2.jpg  

Self-defeatist
    Looks great. Fat enough for your needs. Have you thought about running a 50mm 29er rim in the rear?

What's that ratio in the second picture?
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    That bike looks great.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hows the endo with that stans olympic rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    Looks great. Fat enough for your needs. Have you thought about running a 50mm 29er rim in the rear?

What's that ratio in the second picture?
    I briefly considered a wide 29er rim, but figured I could get a wider footprint and more float with the 26" setup, and I'm not a big fan of different wheel sizes front to back.

The ratio with the Alfine is 28T front and 24T rear. I know I'm really pushing the Alfine with that low of a ratio, but if I am going to run gears, I want my lowest gear to be as low as on a traditional 3x8 setup, and where I ride I don't need anything higher. I do make sure to be careful when shifting, which I think is the key to IGH longevity.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Can you post some measurements of the front tire/rim combo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ee ay ess
    I don't have any experience with wider rims, so I can't compare them to a true fat rim. For my purposes, they work well enough. Last winter I ran an Endo front and Gazzaloddi 3.0 rear on Sun Rhyno Lite rims (27mm) and that worked fine as well. These Stan's FR rims are 32mm I think, so I get a little more float than last year.

Also, I have not tried tubeless yet, but I plan to soon!

And yes, I will take some measurements and post them.

Mark

mtbr member
    Did you get out in the snow from Wednesday?

I live in NYC but managed to miss another big snowfall. Need some more so I can take my 1x1 out in the park!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy
    Did you get out in the snow from Wednesday?

I live in NYC but managed to miss another big snowfall. Need some more so I can take my 1x1 out in the park!
    We got about 14" to 16" up here, so too much to ride in right now. I spent the afternoon shoveling and playing with the kids. I'll wait till it gets packed down a bit before heading out again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    We got about 14" to 16" up here, so too much to ride in right now. I spent the afternoon shoveling and playing with the kids. I'll wait till it gets packed down a bit before heading out again.
    Looks like it'll be around for awhile so! I'm headed back to Manhattan on Monday from Baltimore and will try and get out in Central Park then. Only issues will be frozen footprints & tire tracks...

mtbr member

Fully Fat!

OK, so I got myself a new Larry tire, mounted it on the rear rim, and was pleasantly surprised that it measured out smaller than the well used Endomorph I have on the front. So I threw it in the back of the bike and got just a little bit of rubbing.

So I got a little creative with a piece of wood, a small steel pipe, and a nice big vice. The chainstays are already dimpled a bit on each side, so I marked where the tire was the closest to the stays. Then sandwiched the stay between the wood on the outside, and the steel pipe on the inside where I wanted the dimple. And then really tightened down on the vice. I went a little at a time, but did both chainstays and both seatstays. I did each one 2 or 3 times, fitting the wheel after each round to check everything. Also, I used something to to keep the dropout spacing fixed, in my case, just a threaded rod and 4 nuts and washers. I achieved about 2mm to 3mm extra clearance on each stay, which is just enough to let everything work.

I also had to try to get my chainring out as far as possible to make sure the chain stays away from the tire. My setup is a single splined chainring on an XTR M950 crank, and a 116mm BB. Luckily, the BB shell on the Carver frame is 68mm, so the BB uses a 2.5mm spacer on each side. I removed the BB and placed both spacers on the drive side to get a bit more clearance. Also, I am using a singlespeed rear hub with 6 cogs and 8 speed spacing. I don't have a proper ride on it yet, but in the largest cog I heard 1 rub on a brief ride around the neighborhood.

I should be getting out for a real ride tomorrow, and will get some pictures up of the new setup. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything works as planned!

Mark

mtbr member
    OK, so I got myself a new Larry tire, mounted it on the rear rim
    So the rim was narrow enough for the rear too? Cool. Looking forward to hear how it rode.

I went out in Central Park Saturday and had a blast on my 1x1=11. Strangely there were no other bike tracks in the snow...

mtbr member

First Full Fat RIde!

So I managed to get in a ride on Sunday, my first full fat ride! Temps were in the low 20's, and the sun was out. The conditions varied ALOT, depending on how far I ventured from the parking lot, the trail got softer and harder to ride. This park sees a good amount of foot traffic, and these days snowshoers as well, but most don't venture far from the lot.

The bike woked great! I started with about 12 psi, and lowered it a little after a bit, so probably around 10psi. I got a little bit of chain-tire rub in my lowest gear, but not very often, and the other gears worked fine. I think I only used 3 of the 6 gears anyway! Observations: The Larry tire in back Rocks! Much better than the 3.0 downhill tire, and surprisingly good traction, even in the soft untracked stuff. The worn Endo in the front Sucks! Way too much sliding around. I will buying another Larry ASAP for the front.

I actually took one bad fall that I blame partially on the Endo. The trail section close to the parking lot was well packed, but only about 1 foot wide. I came down a hill (I guess a little too fast!) and into a turn, and front wheel washed out and then dug into the soft snow, sending me over the bars. I'm still not sure how, but somehow I managed to land squarely on my right shoulder right on the hardpack. Hurts like a mother! I actually just got back from the doctor, who took an X-ray. Thankfully nothing cracked, but it hurts alot, sleeping last night was not fun, need more Advil! It's going to be a bit till I get back out on the bike.

Anyway, here are some picures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carver semi-fat-full-fat-carver.jpg  

Carver semi-fat-fat-drivetrain.jpg  

Carver semi-fat-fat-seatstays.jpg  

Carver semi-fat-tire-tracks-2.jpg  

It aint gonna ride itself
    [...]The worn Endo in the front Sucks! Way too much sliding around. I will buying another Larry ASAP for the front.

I actually took one bad fall that I blame partially on the Endo. [...]
    Ummm, why not just switch the tires front to back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB
    Ummm, why not just switch the tires front to back?
    First, because like I said in my previous post, the old Endo actaully measure bigger than the Larry, and wouldn't fit in the back.

And second, why would I want the back sliding around like that?

I am riding on my normal singletrack trails, uphill, downhill, and sidehills, so need all the traction I can get.

Mark

mtbr member
    Awesome idea and technique in widening the rear a wee bit. I am headed down that route as well.

Can you provide the max width for the Larry on your current rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail
    as much as I like larry endo is the float king and I miss it in this dry snow. If you can fit it in the back do it. You may be surpised at the bite you get out of even a worn endo.
    For my trail conditions, maximum traction is more important than maximum float, so I am going with another Larry. We rarely have nice dry snow, and if we do, it doesn't last long! Also, we don't have any groomed or snowmobile trails around, so I am just riding my normal singletrack trails. I am in SE NY BTW. We are having one of the snowiest winters ever, so my timing is perfect!

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xJAHx
    Awesome idea and technique in widening the rear a wee bit. I am headed down that route as well.

Can you provide the max width for the Larry on your current rim?
    Thanks for the compliments! I have the measurements at home and will post them latter.

BTW, this technique should work fins on titanium and steel, but I wouldn't try it on aluminum.

Mark

A Surly Maverick
    Hey mark that IS a job well done

Much respect for having the nuts to do that to a perfectly good Ti frame !

Excellent
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the compliments! I have the measurements at home and will post them latter.Mark
    Hi Mark

Did you ever get to measure the Larry on your rim? Also can you tell me how wide the inside of your rims are? And what is the distance between the seat- and chainstays on your Carver?

I'm trying to decide if I should try a fat front and the distance between the fork legs on my current 29er steel fork is 92 mm. Looking at your rear wheel setup makes me think that it might work ok...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    anyone know if they've changed the frame design since this iteration?
    a ti frame that'll take 90% standard parts and be easily swapped to 29er wheelset (that I already own) that will still fit larrys?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Members who have read this thread: 0