Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Carver and Quality Control

End of last year I bought the Carbon O'Beast Fork and now
    being in the process of building the bike up finally and installing
    the brake, I encountered a rather unwelcoming case of
    let's-cheap-produce-in-China-and-give-a-f*ck-about-quality-control.

That's 3 degrees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That's very poor - are the bolt holes square - is the face off?

mtbr member
    I am also in the process of installing this fork and they dont machine the brake mounting surface after clear coat. I ran into the same problem as the OP. Other than that the fork seems to be of great quality.

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    Right, because when you build anything else anywhere but china, it's 100% perfect 100% of the time.

Did I do that?"
    May 2013
    Did you email them? They're customer service is great from my experience. The one I got was fine. Maybe you got one built on Wednesday?

mtbr member
    I emailed them at they said
    "It is perfectly ok to do a little bit of filing to face the mounting surface. These are molded carbon, so there is always a little bit of variation."

I guess this is ok as long as it is easy to get the right results.

mtbr member
    i had the same problem

eventually i got it to work by filing the mounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Park Tool makes a jig to face the posts. Give your shop a call and see if they have one.

Park Tool Co. » DT-4.2 : Disc Post Mount Facing Tool : Brake Tools

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Adventure View Post
    Right, because when you build anything else anywhere but china, it's 100% perfect 100% of the time.
    Let's guess.. it's not about china but..?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    Did you email them? They're customer service is great from my experience. The one I got was fine. Maybe you got one built on Wednesday?
    I'm in Europe. But I have an Deckel Pantograph sitting in the workshop which will do the job.

The face is not clear coated but machined. That's why I'm wondering. If you do this step why don't you check it for its correctness? 3 degrees is massive.

Maybe Carver should invest in the Park Tool, would make sense.

mtbr member
    Decided to mill the adapter instead as not to weaken the postmount.
    Seems fairly thin already.

mtbr member
    I had a similar issue, but different. I purchased two of the forks. One of them had zero issues.

On one of my forks, one of the holes that accepts the "barrel nut" was bored shallow. It was necessary for me to either bore the hole deeper or shorten the barrel nut in order for the threads in the barrel nut to center in the bolt hole in the molded-carbon mount-boss.

This was quite frustrating, as I asssumed from the nice finished look of the fork that everything would "bolt right up"! I spent 5 minutes trying to get the bolt started before going backwards and finding the cause.

It was a simple fix to file a couple of millimeters off the barrel nut, so I did not bother them. Still, If items are China-manufactured simply for the sake of saving money, I see it as a short-sighted ideal. Carver's reasons for using China manufacturing may not be about the inexpensive labor.

I bought this fork because it was the lightest and best thing available at the time. It is a good part. I would have paid more money for a domestic-manufactured Carver fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I too had the same issue with my Carver fork. Mounts were way off and filing is not the way to get an accurate facing done. My wifes O'Beast fork was fine out of the box.

mtbr member
    its funny cause when i emailed carver they told me to take a file to the fork

smh

banned
    Aug 2012
    For the price ... I'd be demanding they replace the fork.

There is no acceptable reason to not refund or replace the fork, and if Carver can't control their quality, they should stop selling forks.

I have never had any intention to purchase one, but having 2 people, maybe it was 3, I lost count, stating they have the same problem, and that Carver's response was that filing might be required ... Well, they should be doing this before they ship their product.

There is no reason why a consumer should have to modify such an item, just to get it to work.

It wouldn't be acceptable of a fork made of another material, and it's not acceptable of a molded part, either.

Scratch another item off the list of MTBR forum member recommended items !

mtbr member

Carver and Quality Control

You're wrong. Lots of items come and need facing. Very FEW bike manufacturers ship their bikes put with the headset, bottom bracket, and post mounts faced like they should be. Often times the shop doesn't do it either upon assembly. I have found it to be the root of many problems, but it is something that I would inspect and expect (and not get all wound up about) to work on when ordering major parts.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    You're wrong. Lots of items come and need facing. Very FEW bike manufacturers ship their bikes put with the headset, bottom bracket, and post mounts faced like they should be. Often times the shop doesn't do it either upon assembly. I have found it to be the root of many problems, but it is something that I would inspect and expect (and not get all wound up about) to work on when ordering major parts.
    you just called him wrong then agreed with him
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Absolutely agree with you. And as I said and others having the same fork probably have noticed, is that the mounts are machined somewhen during the production process.
    Unfortunately for a lot of buyers this step was made with carelessness.

It doesn't/shouldn't take much to do it right on the manufacturer side.
    Assuming to sell a product like that so that the enduser has to figure out what's wrong by himself and bring it to a working state is just plain ignorance.

I will let Mr. Carver know, but not asking for a replacement or such.
    This part was expensive as the German customs charged me an additional of 70% duties as it was made in China. They call it anti dumping duty.

I left the fork alone, instead modifying the adapter. It does work now.
    But then I'm a master in filing..

bike rider
    Damn I must have gotten lucky. Mine was fine and works like a champ. My NINER rear brake mount on the other hand...........................................
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

ouch....
    Unless there is a warning on the website that you may have to fix it, i would expect it to show up ready to bolt on. Never had to mess with a caliper mount on any fork.
    Riding.....

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Damn I must have gotten lucky. Mine was fine and works like a champ. My NINER rear brake mount on the other hand...........................................
    A good product and a bad product from the same manufacturer = Proving how BAD their QA actually is
    It doesn't help their position in the public eye.

I've worked in aviation/aerospace design for years, and every QA dept. I've worked with, would be firing people, changing manufacturing processes, and revising their QA procedures, or face the development of a bad reputation, and diminishing sales as the word got around that company X is unable to maintain a quality product.

3 degrees of tolerance at that location = JUNK !

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I guess the fact that there are several brands of tools on the market to face both post, and IS disc tabs, isn't indicative that some facing is often required? Hmm, why is it that bike shops have all those tools anyway.....

Welcome to being your own bike shop. You want to save a few bucks by not paying for a well tooled up pro to do the build for you? This is what we in the industry have to do, a lot of the time, brand or country of origin matters not.

Not trying to be a jerk, it's just that folks need to understand what it is shops actually do for them, the little things they don't necessarily see.

You save $ by getting it virtually factory direct, I wouldn't expect "consumer ready" condition to be a guarantee at all. Have Parlee, Calfee or some other hot shot, high end carbon toy maker to build you the same fork, it'll be perfect, take 6 months to a year or more, and cost 4 times as much easily. The choice is yours.

It's called frame/build prep, some need it, some don't, roll the dice and get in line.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I don't want to have shops importancees doing drunk talk on my thread.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I guess the fact that there are several brands of tools on the market to face both post, and IS disc tabs, isn't indicative that some facing is often required? Hmm, why is it that bike shops have all those tools anyway.....

Welcome to being your own bike shop. You want to save a few bucks by not paying for a well tooled up pro to do the build for you? This is what we in the industry have to do, a lot of the time, brand or country of origin matters not.

Not trying to be a jerk, it's just that folks need to understand what it is shops actually do for them, the little things they don't necessarily see.

You save $ by getting it virtually factory direct, I wouldn't expect "consumer ready" condition to be a guarantee at all. Have Parlee, Calfee or some other hot shot, high end carbon toy maker to build you the same fork, it'll be perfect, take 6 months to a year or more, and cost 4 times as much easily. The choice is yours.

It's called frame/build prep, some need it, some don't, roll the dice and get in line.
    No being a jerk, but ... Would you accept a 3 degree alignment discrepancy in the top and bottom fork clamp of a lefty conversion ?

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    No being a jerk, but ... Would you accept a 3 degree alignment discrepancy in the top and bottom fork clamp of a lefty conversion ?
    You know that 3mm is less than the acceptable variation on a bike frame, right?
    Hence the need for facing. And prep. Like we have here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast