mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Carver O'Beast Ti Fat frame.

There had been some spy photos of this floating around. Here's the real deal. A cheaper Ti option with some nice features.
    Carver O'Beast
    Not too shabby...

giddy up!
    I really dig these(and the price)....but no rack mounts????

Seems like a tremendous oversight.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, that's the only thing I can find to complain about this frame. But, they are usually willing to add things like that with their other bikes, I assume this one is no exception.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    2011 have the rack mounts & 2012 doesn't not on the first run. Here is some other info from Carver Bikes.

What is the rear spacing on your Obeast Fat frames?
    Our frames are built with 167.5 mm spacing. That way you can use either a 165 mm Hadley rear hub, or any of the 170 mm rear hubs like the Mukluk 2 or Mukluk 3.
    Since they are symmetrical, you can also use your Obeast as a full 29er. The diameter of a 29” wheel and a Fat tire are almost identical. Two bikes for the price of one….well, almost.

You offer a 2011 and 2012 Obeast ti frame. What are the differences?
    The 2011 Obeast ti frame has a 1 1/8 inch head tube, rack mounts, front derailleur post for an E-type front derailleur, and a non-replaceable derailleur hanger.
    The 2012 Obeast ti frame has a 44 mm head tube that will accept either a 1 1/8 fork or a tapered steerer tube fork. Other improvements include a replaceable derailleur hanger and a disc brake brace. The 2012 Obeast ti frame does not include rack mounts.

You offer two Obeast forks. What are the differences?
    Both of our titanium and carbon fiber OBeast forks are based on a 465 mm axle to crown dimension. The Carbon Obeast fork is set up for front disc offset hubs. With the addition of our 5 mm rotor spacer kit,it can be used with a rear spaced 135 mm front hubs, such as Surly, Salsa and others. The titanium-based forks can be used with a conventional star nut, but the carbon fiber abuse fork should only be used with an internally expanding top cap assembly.

More pictures and info here: snowbikes.wordpress.com

Oji
    Jun 2008

Rear hub question

Quote Originally Posted by davelees1 View Post
    2011 have the rack mounts & 2012 doesn't not on the first run. Here is some other info from Carver Bikes.
    What is the rear spacing on your Obeast Fat frames?
    Our frames are built with 167.5 mm spacing. That way you can use either a 165 mm Hadley rear hub, or any of the 170 mm rear hubs like the Mukluk 2 or Mukluk
    I don't have any experience yet with the larger rear hubs. Does using a 170 mm hub in this frame simply require spreading the chain stays a bit to make it fit? Seems like a silly question now that I read the written words, but I'm naive of these things.

Seems like a good deal and there is word of a complete bike coming as well.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by twangcat View Post
    I don't have any experience yet with the larger rear hubs. Does using a 170 mm hub in this frame simply require spreading the chain stays a bit to make it fit? Seems like a silly question now that I read the written words, but I'm naive of these things.
    Yup, that's the gist of it.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, same idea as Surly 'cross-checks having 132.5mm rear spacing, so you can run either road (130mm) or mountain (135mm) rear hubs. Just wider!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by davelees1 View Post
    You offer two Obeast forks. What are the differences?
    Both of our titanium...
    Pics or info on this, please?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Enthusiast
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Pics or info on this, please?
    More info pending... Here's a link for now...

cxrace.com/comp/ti-obeast-fork

Looks pretty sweet!

Got A Lust for Life...
    Kinda cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carver O'Beast Ti Fat frame.-p10005791.jpg  

I am immune to your disdain.