Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Carver O'Beast Fork

Just swapped out my Pugsley fork for the Carver O'Beast carbon and next to going from Large Marge's to Marge Lite's this is the best upgrade I've made. I was concerned how the longer fork would effect steering and handling. The way the front end handles now is such a great improvement. It just seems to float over everything and the steering is nice and light. The weight of the fork is amazing, the packaging weighed more, and it has more tire clearance than you'd ever need. I got the black fork and it matches my frame perfectly. If you can, order one, you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Is there a rider weight limit to this fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Did it change the standover height noticeabley?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Don't know about a weight limit. Give BIKEMAN.COM a call, they would know and are great to deal with. I did not notice any change the standover height.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    Just swapped out my Pugsley fork for the Carver O'Beast carbon and next to going from Large Marge's to Marge Lite's this is the best upgrade I've made. I was concerned how the longer fork would effect steering and handling....
    The Carver fork on a Pug changes the HA and BB drop to a figure very similar to the On-One Fatty, and that's reckoned to be a good trail bike.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Dinner for wolves
    subscribed. This fork looks too good to be true. So, naturally, I crave it.
    Responds to gravity

Levi Early
    just bought mine for my mukluk. I can not wait for it to arrive.

Human Test Subject
    I agree with everything the OP said. Also, I was standing over my bike in a bank drive through behind a minivan and they floored it in reverse and knocked me over. Fork's fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    The Carver fork on a Pug changes the HA and BB drop to a figure very similar to the On-One Fatty, and that's reckoned to be a good trail bike.
    90% of my riding is XC and the change has been a welcome addition.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan.
    Carver O'Beast Fork-cffork1-l.jpg
    Carver O'Beast Fork-cffork2-l.jpg

3 of my friends are running them on their 907 bikes... they look awesome and are noticeably light. This is going to be my next fall upgrade for my moonlander... the O-Beast is a full 1 POUND lighter than the stock moonlander fork. It will take a Bud up front no problem.

Photos... right?

Carver O'Beast Fork-576527_422461117801335_9962280_n.jpg

The yellow 907 in front now looks like this: (photo & bike - Brady Larson)

Carver O'Beast Fork-481537_442711389109641_802837849_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can you use hose clamp on this fork to mount additional water bottle cages? Or is that not recommended?

mtbr member
    Can anyone confirm that a Bud will fit this on a Clown Shoe rim? If you've done it can you verify the clearance from tire to fork?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Can anyone confirm that a Bud will fit this on a Clown Shoe rim? If you've done it can you verify the clearance from tire to fork?

Thanks in advance!
    I think your answer was (mostly) posted by Duggs.

The black and green 907 appears to be running a Bud on a Clownshoe.

My LBS confirmed that the carver fork will clear anything on the market at present when I was in the shop yesterday.

I just wish there was a replacement offset fork option that could run a Bud. I'd love to be able to keep the ability to swap front and rear wheel.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I think your answer was (mostly) posted by Duggs.

The black and green 907 appears to be running a Bud on a Clownshoe.

My LBS confirmed that the carver fork will clear anything on the market at present when I was in the shop yesterday.

I just wish there was a replacement offset fork option that could run a Bud. I'd love to be able to keep the ability to swap front and rear wheel.
    Thanks - didn't catch that.

Hit up Walt Works for an offset fork. It may not come in lighter than stock but if you want more a-c on an offset fork that clears big tires he may be a good option.

I'm having him make me a non-offset 135mm fork with 140mm tire clearance and 168mm a-c for my Moonie. Main reason was for a slacker head angle but his forks reportedly ride nice too.

mtbr member

Re: Carver O'Beast Fork

Whats Walt charging for the fork? He makes good stuffs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybkr View Post
    Whats Walt charging for the fork? He makes good stuffs.
    $315 powder coated black and shipped to my door. 6 week lead time because each one is custom. What I like about the process is that Walt asks what kind of riding will be happening, how much the bike is loaded, etc.

In contrast, stock orks are pretty much always designed for someone that is either heavier than me or rides harder than me. I'll post plenty of pics in another thread when I get it.

Sorry to the OP for derailling the conversation a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Carver fork was definitely the best money spent for my bike - on XC I feel so much more in control

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A 340g + $150 difference between the WB snowpack and the Carver so it makes a lot of sense to go with the Carver.. Just wanted to make sure it was up to my Clyde weight!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Beautiful bikes. I can't show my wife, she wanted green or yellow (she is getting blue) Two questions, what are you using for the colored rim strip?

Second, does the O'Beast fit right on the 907? Does it change the geometry? Any mods needed to get it right?

The wife and I just ordered 2 907's with the Susitna build. I was thinking about upgrading to the McGrath but am now thinking a better bank for the buck would be the Carver fork, some 120 tpi lighter tires, q-tube super lite tubes and it would still be $100 less than upgrading the build. Any thoughts are appreciated, looking for best bang for the buck weight reduction. We want a reasonably light bike without spending heaps of cash (so does everyone right)?

PS frames are the 170/135 with 44mm head.

all about the all about

great fork

how bout' another pic or 2...

Carver O'Beast Fork-muk1.jpg
    Carver O'Beast Fork-muk.jpg
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    Beautiful bikes. I can't show my wife, she wanted green or yellow (she is getting blue) Two questions, what are you using for the colored rim strip?
    Just do a search... there are threads all over. I think those were done with the colored duct tape you can get at hobby stores or wal-mart even.

Duct tape won't be wide enough though if you are running clown shoes. I used 3m 3" reflective tape for mine.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I love my Carver carbon fork. Install is here.

Carver O'Beast Fork-7514300808_d239ae81af_z.jpg

Thoughts after riding it for a while...

After over a thousand miles, it's been great. No complaints.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Lawfarm,

So what is your take on putting the o beast on a stock '13 muk 3 with a 6'1" 220lbs clyde rider? Do you think a full carbon hold up to abuse? I will be mostly riding xc. Will the stock bb7's bolt up to the fork with the rotor spacer? Awesome blog by the way, just signed up to follow it.
    E.P.
    2013 Mukluk 3
    2012 El Mariachi
    2012 Specialized Carve comp (work bike)
    2005 Banshee Chaparral
    2008 Felt F4C (roadie)

Levi Early
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-Yukon View Post
    Lawfarm,

So what is your take on putting the o beast on a stock '13 muk 3 with a 6'1" 220lbs clyde rider? Do you think a full carbon hold up to abuse? I will be mostly riding xc. Will the stock bb7's bolt up to the fork with the rotor spacer? Awesome blog by the way, just signed up to follow it.
    E.P.
    the stock bb7's should bolt up, you just will be post mounting them. I will have all of this confirmed here shortly when mine arrives. I will be xc riding mine but I am 180lbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast