mtbr member

Carver Carbon O'Beat rotor clearance

so I'm having so rotor clearance issues with a 180mm Deore XT ice tech rotor with a Paul Components WHUB

anybody else had this problem with this fork? I emailed Carver as well as the distributor here in Japan but idk whats going on... maybe I'm just doing it wrong
    Last edited by thing; 05-01-2013 at 11:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have no problems with 160mm rotor, that may be the limit on size for this fork.
    Stopping power on 160mm with BB7 is very good.

mtbr member
    hmm I read 180 elsewhere hopefully i can solve this by just buying a 160mm and being done with it haha

nah I just looked it up the fork is supposed to take up to a 180mm rotor. I read elsewhere that with some rotors people where having clearance issues so hopefully carver just emails me back and has a solution

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I needed to use spacers on the rotor....I have the same ones @ 180mm. Its eventually will work fine...just figure out how many spacers you need. My hub is the Hope Fatsno.

EDIT: I just noticed its hitting the fork. I did not have that issue. Just had the caliper alignment issue.

mtbr member
    well just got word that the fork isn't really set up for a true 135mm front spaced hub so with the WHUB it's going to hit no matter what

time to demand a refund.

thanks for the help guys

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    well just got word that the fork isn't really set up for a true 135mm front spaced hub so with the WHUB it's going to hit no matter what

time to demand a refund.

thanks for the help guys
    from the carver page-
    specs

Full carbon 3K weave
    570 grams uncut
    1-1/8" x 300mm carbon steerer
    135mm hub spacing
    Front disc offset (spacers included upon request)

45mm fork rake
    465mm axle-to-crown
    Post mount disc caliper mount
    Clearance for 4.7 inch tires

mtbr member
    I should have read that carefully when I bought the fork smh. sorry guys

I guess I can go white brothers or lefty now

bummer

Human Test Subject
    I highlighted that info because it's designed to work with a 135mm front hub like the WHUB. The included spacers are to push the rotor out more when used with a rear spaced hub.

The shape of the fork, however, only gives enough clearance for a 160mm rotor. Is a 160mm rotor not an option?

mtbr member
    I could get a 160mm rotor but the fork is supposed to work with a 180mm rotor according to bikeman

Bikeman Carver Bikes O'Beast Full Carbon Fork, fits 4.7'' tires

somebody else told me that the whub and o'beast don't work well together because the Carver fork (although advertised as a front offset) is somewhere between rear and front offset and isn't "correctly" designed

idk I emailed Carver I'm going to give them a chance to explain whats wrong meanwhile I'll continue searching for a Lefty Max 140

Fat & Single
    I run a 183mm Hope Floating rotor on a Hope Fatsno hub (on both sets of wheels). The combo on its own wasn't over far enough for the caliper so i added the supplied 5mm spacer then it was too far.

Bought 2 x 2mm disk spacers from hope and added 1 to each front wheel and they fit in there no problems.

The reason they say 180mm limit, is because the force applied to the fork when braking using a large rotor, nothing to do with the disk not fitting in. I could fit a 203mm very easily.

Your issue is completely different. Your hub is pushing the rotor too far over (without the spacer) so you need to reduce the rotor mounting surface somehow.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    yeah I know which is weird to me because isn't this fork supposed to work with hubs like the whub? at least thats what it says on bikemans website...

in other new i just took the bike outside took some picture and pushed it up a hill then road down. I'M IN LOVE.

yes its not done but whatever

Last edited by thing; 05-01-2013 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ive got a carver fork with a 180mm ashima rotor on a hope fatsno hub - no probs

mtbr member
    maybe its just a compatibility issue with the whub

Karma Vampire

I really liked the performance of my Carver carbon fork. I used it with a Salsa and a Hope Hub in conjunction with a White Brothers adapter. When I went finally put my Hadley (front disc spacing) hub into service, after removing the adapter, I had an interference issue. The Hope and Salsa were very close with the 5mm Bikeman adapter, one more than the other and I can't recall which one now. The guys at Bikeman were super great to deal with and let me return the fork.

I am using a White Brothers fork now. It's a little heavier but I can't tell when it is on the bike. I likely don't push the WB fork to anywhere near its "limit" so it works great for me. I now use the Bikeman adapters on my Hope and Salsa wheels. Now all three wheel sets can be swapped out without adjusting the brake.

The guys at Bikeman/Carver will take care of you.

nothing to see here

All you need to do is add a 1mm spacer on the axle
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    As tight as that looks with the front spacing hub, it should work with no spacers on a rear spaced hub.

Maybe you can dish the wheel over and move a spacer from the right side of the hub to the left. I don't know what the axle configuration is though

mtbr member
    i don't know I'm just leaning towards returning this an ordering a snowpack

I changed the rotor for a spare and it now clears the fork but with maybe 1mm of clearance (which I'm not comfortable with)

also the 160mm rear adapter has the xtr caliper hitting the frame... great.

Fat & Single
    A while back it was common practice to get a Hope Floating rotor to fit in a Fox fork, we had to file the thick white paint off the bottom post mount as the alu spider rubbed badly on the post and stripped the paint off marking the floating ano'd spider.

If you have 1mm clearance and are happy with the rotor it will work no worries.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My rotor was making contact down by the top barrel nut, same setup as you, .5mm spacer on the end of the hub did the trick. I have two wheel sets, both are WHub, one is fine the other needs the spacer.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    "also the 160mm rear adapter has the xtr caliper hitting the frame... great."

Don't hate on me for asking, but you are using a post adapter? 180mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just put one on my Mukluk II from the latest batch Bikeman got and I was worried how close the roter came to the fork. Maybe this latest build group has slightly wider legs compared to previous batches. Once I got it adjusted it doesn't touch, but just barely.

mtbr member
    this is what Davis Carver told me

"Thanks. For some reason, we see this occasionally with the Paul Whub.. It is perfectly OK to file the fork a bit for clearance. It won't affect the warranty. Other riders have also inserted a thin axle washer on the disc end of the hub to space it a bit farther from the fork."

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Are you telling me a manufacturer suggested modifying their carbon fiber product?

Seriously?
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    yes and I'm not going to willingly file away a carbon fork so...