Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006

Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Fork - READY TO GO!

Yes, they're in stock and ready to ship TODAY!

The fork comes with a free 135mm spaced 15mm front hub and thru axle.

Find 'em at Bikeman or contact Carver bikes directly to snag one while they're still available.

Nemophilist
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

aka bOb
    Oh man!! do I or wait to see what RS puts out? Still a little nervous about inverted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Rad. My old local shop, Bath Cycle & Ski, which puts out Carver stuff, is really stepping up their game!

Nice. Now make a straight steerer version to fit a 4.8" tire
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    506 mm axle to crown (484 mm w/sag)
    I assume that is with travel set to 110mm??

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes, straight steerer option would be nice!!

mtbr member
    Straight steer IS an option

Of course, with a straight steerer version available, the Trans-Fat fork will work on almost any fatbike on the market

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Nice. Now make a straight steerer version to fit a 4.8" tire
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Yes, straight steerer option would be nice!!
    Bikeman shows a straight 1-1/8" option.........

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just ordered every fork they had in stock.

Anyone wanna buy a Carver fork for $999?

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Hi All,

We have both straight and tapered models available! There is ample clearance for 4" tires on 82mm rims. We have set up 4.8" tires on 68mm rims and this fits with very tight clearance.

Best,
    Carver Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the info!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What are the internals like? Oil/air? Not that many people will probably use the suspension in the winter, but I wonder how cold, slow oil will affect the damping. Then again, who cares, I'll never be able to afford one.

mtbr member
    With all the companies threatening to import this exact same fork it's nice to see someone actually do it. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Spleen View Post
    Hi All,

We have both straight and tapered models available! There is ample clearance for 4" tires on 82mm rims. We have set up 4.8" tires on 68mm rims and this fits with very tight clearance.

Best,
    Carver Bikes
    Nice to know... yeah I didn't see the straight steerer option. So what is your opinion on if I wanted to keep my 100mm clown shoes and throw a Knard or other 3.8" tire on the front? I would assume that would fit. Might be a nice option for summer.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    We have set up the fork with a Clown Shoe with Big Fat Larry 4.7" tire and there is about 5mm of clearance on either side, but keep in mind that's when the tire is perfectly seated. Clown Shoe and Bud or Lou is a no-go, however.

All fat, all the time.
    Dang!! Sweet that it comes with the hub!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    will bfls fit with 70mm rim for my on one fatty thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    * cough *

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    Correct.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I just ordered every fork they had in stock.

Anyone wanna buy a Carver fork for $999?
    scoundrel
    plus+, plus+ = win:

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    With all the companies threatening to import this exact same fork it's nice to see someone actually do it. Good job!
    infuggindeed!!
    plus+, plus+ = win:

Lord Thunderbottom
    meh, when are we getting a non reversed fork? I don't need the salt etc destroying the stanchions
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    O'Damn. 1.5kg more than my O'Beast.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    meh, when are we getting a non reversed fork? I don't need the salt etc destroying the stanchions

you won't with that attitude Mr!!
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Yup, it's a new (and better) world now.

Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Fork - READY TO GO!-image.jpg

Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Fork - READY TO GO!-image.jpg

nothing to see here
    What's the offset on this fork?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Forks do look beautiful, but the price is equal too or more than some complete fat bikes! But I guess they own the market for now......

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fatper86 View Post
    Forks do look beautiful, but the price is equal too or more than some complete fat bikes! But I guess they own the market for now......
    I don't think someone who would buy this fork would be riding a walgoose.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

move on up...
    ^ +1 ^

move on up...
    Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2598 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	824017

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1787 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	824018
    Looks tough! How do they ride?

mtbr member
    Looks mean - I have the exact same fork on order with Muru Cycles ;-)
    Age is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anxious to hear some ride reports... being a long time Maverick user... on a fatty that was built for it. Someone has to have done some riding on this thing... Mav's hub was stiff as heck (inverted forks rely on the hub for a brace) and still they flex allot. What are The details? Travel, A to C, Air/oil, Spring/oil, Lock-out, Travel-limiter, will it fit 29+...and how "flexy" is it?

mtbr member
    Save for color and decal-- the Trans Fat looks exactly like the one 11Nine rolled out... Guess all of them are OEM from the same factory... cos it would have been more preferable to go with a 20mm TA rather than the 15mm. Certainly stiffer and would take care of any flex issue better.

From the looks, doesn't seem too complicated to pull apart to tinker or change the travel but then still too little info floating around now. Think I will wait this one out a bit and also see what they say about having rebuild kits/ seals and all before pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Mav's hub was stiff as heck (inverted forks rely on the hub for a brace) and still they flex allot.
    Maverick hubs are stiff; the hub/fork "QR" interface is weak and flexy, however. I've always felt that Maverick really fell on their faces with the QR design, which is not only not very secure, but is also a PITA to use, and not really "QR" at all. A standard thru axle is quicker than fussing with Maverick's silly quick flips.

mtbr member

Carver Bikes Trans-Fat Suspension Fat Fork - READY TO GO!

I can't wait...but I'm gonna!! Winter is almost here anyway, and I'd be going back to rigid for the snow. Anxious to read reports and see RS offerings. People with deep pockets, come hither and buy...ride...report. Thanx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Anxious to hear some ride reports... being a long time Maverick user... on a fatty that was built for it. Someone has to have done some riding on this thing... Mav's hub was stiff as heck (inverted forks rely on the hub for a brace) and still they flex allot. What are The details? Travel, A to C, Air/oil, Spring/oil, Lock-out, Travel-limiter, will it fit 29+...and how "flexy" is it?
    Pros:
    East coast trail (roots/rocks) performance has now put the fatbike back to where my former fox equipped 26er full squish was. i can now put my weight neutral or forward and just hammer as hard as i can. I've added a few more lbs of air to the tires as well and I'm rolling faster than i could w/o the fork. thought you still have to try to balance the front and the back, so keeping the back at about 9lbs for general trail riding feels good but i'm riding more out of the saddle then previously. the fork allows you to ride faster and the back kicks harder as a result.
    My biggest concern now it that this past weekend the new fork allowed me to out ride my ability. i was going through mottled sunlit trails waaay faster than i could have w a rigid (carver carbon fork previously and usually ran about 8lbs of air).
    i have not noticed any stiffness issues either pro or con, so i'll take that as a pro. albeit heavier than my carver carbon fork i ride it isn't doing anything odd in roots or rocks. On chewed out fireroads its ridiculously nice.

Cons:
    there is slightly more stiction in comparison to the fox forks i've had but i'm trying some judy butter tonight to see if that helps.
    small bump compliance on slow terrain isn't great. i may have too much air still (60lbs for me, i'm 170lbs, and 45lbs for her and she's 110).
    any less than 40lbs of air and the fork sags under its weight so there's a fine line.
    the QR hurts when you close it by hand. significant mechanical advantage to the lever helps make it really really tight but the physical shape of the lever isn't hand friendly. i'm snugging it w my hand and then pushing it closed w the sole of my shoe...that works fine actually.

initially i was thinking it'll be perfect for 3 seasons and i'll take it off for winter. now...i have my doubts honestly. the fork has a lockout lever and except for commuting or climbing i dont' like riding the bike now w the fork rigid.
    personally i think this is likely now the 'new normal' for me for fat.
    I've loaned it to 3 friends while out on rides. Each has said that it feels much much better than rigid.

She will now be selling her full squish mtb and using the 9zero7 + fork for all endurance and UCI styled 2hr racing. its SO much more confidence inspiring for her.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Save for color and decal-- the Trans Fat looks exactly like the one 11Nine rolled out... Guess all of them are OEM from the same factory... cos it would have been more preferable to go with a 20mm TA rather than the 15mm. Certainly stiffer and would take care of any flex issue better.
    the 15mm is fine and the 20 not necessary from a flex standpoint.
    plus+, plus+ = win:

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I don't think someone who would buy this fork would be riding a walgoose.
    My mistake, I meant equal too or more than half the price of some fat bikes. For example a Pug which can be bought for $1350

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by fatper86 View Post
    My mistake, I meant equal too or more than half the price of some fat bikes. For example a Pug which can be bought for $1350
    Where can one buy a Pug for $1350?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Where can one buy a Pug for $1350?
    Barely used... not sure if this is what he was referring to. Sorry, this is off topic. 2013 Surly Pugsley for sale: - PhotoPost Classifieds

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    yeah, that doesn't count.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK, now that we have this out of our system, can somebody make a real 100 mm hub fork for 29+? Please please please.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I've owned quite a few inverted forks. Never had that problem. It is a porker though, like the old Marzocchi Shiver SC. Structurally an inverted fork is not very efficient (unless it has two crowns in addition to bulged uppers/stanchions), so you gotta come up with some fancy engineering/add weight to make it work and not just be a noodle. Not easy to do. This would be the first inverted SC fork ever in the history of mountain biking that's not a noodle if it lives up to the claims, but no one has accomplished this feat so far. I'll wait
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bad cat!
    'Bout the same weight as my lefty with clamps, nearly identical as I recall... Not bad. Front squish may not be necessary for winter, but I guarantee it will transform your summer mayhem-according to strava my 907 with lefty is pretty dang fast and according to me it's ear to ear grins... You must pull trigger on squish.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    the QR hurts when you close it by hand. significant mechanical advantage to the lever helps make it really really tight but the physical shape of the lever isn't hand friendly. i'm snugging it w my hand and then pushing it closed w the sole of my shoe...that works fine actually.
    Thanks for bringing this up! It's definitely an issue that we're working on resolving ASAP. There is a new, more ergonomic 15QR design in the works right now. When it's complete, this will replace the existing QR <b>and we will send one to all existing Trans-Fat owners, no charge</b>

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Out of curiosity, as someone who just recently began seeing the joy of a Lefty fatbike, I'm curious, how much of a benefit would a fork like this give me over a Lefty? I'm assuming perhaps more travel, but as far as stiffness I'm an ignoramus (I can't for the life of me feel the difference in my Fox 34 over a friend's Fox 32).

I'm just sitting here thinking that I made the right move by going Lefty at least as far as cost. But I'm sure there's benefits I'm not aware of?
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Out of curiosity, as someone who just recently began seeing the joy of a Lefty fatbike, I'm curious, how much of a benefit would a fork like this give me over a Lefty? I'm assuming perhaps more travel, but as far as stiffness I'm an ignoramus (I can't for the life of me feel the difference in my Fox 34 over a friend's Fox 32).

I'm just sitting here thinking that I made the right move by going Lefty at least as far as cost. But I'm sure there's benefits I'm not aware of?
    Lefty's are impressively stiff. Most people seem to be concerned with lateral stiffness, which is more of an issue on 2-legged forks. If it's significant enough, the tire can rub on one leg or the other when taking hits from the side. Also, side or twisting loads can create stiction, which prevents the fork from moving freely. The fork/axle interface is often blamed for a lack of lateral stiffness, hence the use of bigger bolt-on "through" axles. The Lefty does not have these problems because the axle is welded on, and doesn't have 2 legs that can move independently. It also has clamps above and below the head tube, and a longer length of the slider is buried in the stanchion.

For the record, I don't have any suspension on my fatties, but I've owned Lefty's on my regular bikes and had good experience with them. Also had (have) a few Fox forks, and I like them, too.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Lefty's are impressively stiff. Most people seem to be concerned with lateral stiffness, which is more of an issue on 2-legged forks. If it's significant enough, the tire can rub on one leg or the other when taking hits from the side. Also, side or twisting loads can create stiction, which prevents the fork from moving freely. The fork/axle interface is often blamed for a lack of lateral stiffness, hence the use of bigger bolt-on "through" axles. The Lefty does not have these problems because the axle is welded on, and doesn't have 2 legs that can move independently. It also has clamps above and below the head tube, and a longer length of the slider is buried in the stanchion.
    Another reason that a Lefty doesn't have sticking problems in lateral loads is that the lower is running on needle bearings.

These are needle bearings: http://www.minprom.gov.by/images/products/6725.jpg

I sometimes wonder if the one-sided design of the Lefty was just a marketing gimmick to say "Look, this is just how well the lower doesn't stick, we only used one leg." In other words I bet a two legged fork using non-ciricular innards running on needle bearings would be similarly perform very well.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Also, an analogy I use for people who can't get their head around a one sided bike fork: all four wheels of your car are technically one sided suspension designs. Sure, there is more like arm movement than just a strut, but in terms of weight bearing on one side, yes, totally safe. There is simply more material on the one side to compensate for the asymmetry. And cars weigh on the order of tons, not mere hundreds of pounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast