Thread: Carrying a Pump

mtbr member

Carrying a Pump

As a lot of my rides are of the quick "dash out for an hour" nature I like to be self-sufficient and have everything I need on the bike without needing to put on a backpack.

The problem I'm finding is where to carry the pump. Depending on the bike it's on a bottlecage bosses on either the down or seat tube. When I needed to use it yesterday it was full of water , possibly due to overzealous post-ride hosing but maybe also the wet conditions. Once I'd sprayed out the water - it made a pretty poor water pistol - it worked, but I doubt that it's good for long term longevity of the pump and it's likely to let me down when I need it most.

So does anyone know of a way that I can mount the pump on the frame and have it stay dryer? Was thinking the toptube would be better...
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member
    I have a little shorty (insert joke here) that I put into my handlebar bag...it takes quite a bit more to air-up, but it is really only an emergency pump anyway.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Moderator Moderator
    Sturdy plastic bag + Jannd pump straps?

Smash Mode: ON
    All my carry along tools (pump included) are in a sks cage box. Keeps everything dry and clean whether you are riding down a creek or hosing it off afterwords. It is almost submersible even, only lets a drop or so in a minute if you hold it underwater. I have mine on the seatpost so it mounts right were my saddle bag used to.

<< The newest pic in my user gallery shows it on my bike.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    I have mine on the down tube mount, but I can also throw it in my frame bag if conditions are super sloppy.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I'm carrying a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV pump (stock pic of one with non-fat-range guage):

I've got the mount bracket on the downtube waterbottle bosses, pretty much what you're doing.

My point is: I was putting the pump into the bracket with the handle up. Looks good. Except I was noticing that dirt/dust/etc would settle on the top of the barrel and was building up and causing scratches on the rod. My solution? Put the pump into the bracket "upside down". Crap can't settle at the interface point anymore - water would run off rather than in.

Either that or a "shower cap".
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ideas - put some inner tube over the handle/body gap so I'll see how that works

MTB B'dos
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Perfect! Just what need!

Even found a UK supplier

mtbr member
    ...probably should have mentioned that on "really" cold days, my spare pump goes into a pants pocket to help ensure it will work below -20f...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ...probably should have mentioned that on "really" cold days, my spare pump goes into a pants pocket to help ensure it will work below -20f...
    Fortunately round here temperature that low aren't a major concern...

mtbr member
    I know you were asking about mounting it on the frame, but I carry mine in my jersey pocket. For one it keeps it clean but mainly I also had trouble finding a place to mount it. Long story short I used to carry my tube in my jersey pocket but I attached my tube to my frame using a Backcountry Research strap and now carry the pump in my jersey (I just recently started carrying a pump).