Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    100 hours x $whatever/hour = most expensive fenders ever!

They do look nice, though...

Smash Mode: ON
    You don't want to know what my billable rate is! lol Maybe you guys missed it, but composites are a hobby for me. And imo hobbies are about the journey, not the destination.
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    OOOOOEEEeeeee!!!!!! Those are sweet. I envy your tactile tenacity.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Maybe you guys missed it, but composites are a hobby for me. And imo hobbies are about the journey, not the destination.
    Preach on, brother. Amen.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Love the fenders. Love that you've spent an inordinate amount of time on them - the only way that new and truly unique and really rad sh!t comes into existence, is through people like you that have ideas and the passion to throw down and make them happen. The bar for fenders just got a little higher.

I'm impressed with the straightness of the edges. They had to've been all raggedy after coming off the mold and at that point they must also have been all kinds of floppy and hard to handle. How'd you manage such a tidy job with the trimming?

The fenders stay in the mold until they are about 90% cured, so they are quite stiff when I literally pop them out. Then I dress up like a redneck would going into a fallout zone and have at them with an arsenal of cutting and shaping tools that includes a rotary tool with carbide cut-off wheel, a bench mounted belt sander, and finally a hand file. The pic showing the mold in use also shows fenders in each of of these stages.

DIY all the way
    Nice to see another composite buff

Magura

I took them off to replace that gorilla tape so here are a few pics off the bike.

Pic 1: Stays folded for storage. This is a bigger feature than I initially thought. Not only does it make them much more compact, but the stays are also less vulnerable to damage.

Pic 2: Cutout for the seat stay, zip tie attachment, and self retaining hardware. All hardware needed to mount them stays attached to the fenders when removed.

Pic 3: Opposite side of pic 2, shows the lizard skin 'bumper' used to isolate the fender from the frame. This stuff is used in a couple of different places on the fenders and on the bike, carbon and metal do not play well together.

PS - I updated a few of the original finished pics here now that the guerrilla tape has been replaced with lizard skin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Mukluk Fenders-11_30_2012-1510-.jpg  

Carbon Mukluk Fenders-11_30_2012-1511-.jpg  

Carbon Mukluk Fenders-11_30_2012-1512-.jpg  

mtbr member
    ...is very sweet.

You should be proud!

mtbr member
    This is my first post here! LOOKS SWEEEEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Absolutely sensational and fantastic work done by an enthusiast

Thanks guys. I've got quite a few miles and a whole winter on them now and I'll have to say they are just what the doctor ordered. I get a little slop over the back every once in a while but most times its just when I loose traction and the wheel spins. Never being able to leave good enough alone, I will probably try experimenting with a rubber spoiler style flap back there just for fun.

I changed the rear one a bit at the chainstay bridge since originally posting this. That is a pinch point clearance wise so I modified the fender to sit on top of the bridge as apposed to passing between it and the tire. This makes it so the only thing compromising the clearance there is the zip tie.

Carbon Mukluk Fenders-04_10_2013-2679-.jpg

Carbon Mukluk Fenders-04_10_2013-2681-.jpg

Oh, and BFF (bud fits fine)...

Carbon Mukluk Fenders-04_10_2013-2647-.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2