Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Anchorage, AK

Carbon Fiber Rims

Anyone have any details on these?

Carbon Fiber Rims-cf-rims.jpg
    --Peace

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Ha, they beat me to this milestone too?! LOL damn it!!
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    how wide are they?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They are RD width. I believe that's what he used as a mold. He and his wife rode on them all winter. Under racing conditions as well. Pretty cool stuff!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    They are RD width. I believe that's what he used as a mold.
    *FACE PALM*

I cannot believe I didn't think of that. And I had so many things I got done to feel smart today.

mtbr member
    The maker of these rims has been working on 80 and 100mm sizes. The 80s are similar to rds. He has been developing them testing and improving them for awhile now. I dont want to give everything away without his permission but they are super light super stiff and so far have held up great! Keep your eyes and ears open. Wont be too long before you see these available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskairhog View Post
    The maker of these rims has been working on 80 and 100mm sizes. The 80s are similar to rds. He has been developing them testing and improving them for awhile now. I dont want to give everything away without his permission but they are super light super stiff and so far have held up great! Keep your eyes and ears open. Wont be too long before you see these available.
    Enve is my guess based on their proximity to the 907 distribution network in UT.

mtbr member
    This is a guy in Anchorage. He is making them himself.
    He had different rims at different weights, but one of them was in the mid 500 gram range.
    They looked reasonably well made.
    Unlaced, they are super flexy, laced, they felt solid.

Dinner for wolves
    Badass. Can't wait to hear more about this.
    Responds to gravity

Smash Mode: ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    *FACE PALM*

I cannot believe I didn't think of that. And I had so many things I got done to feel smart today.
    Come on Drew, 'splashing' a mold off a current part is one of the oldest tricks in the book! Do it right and you don't even need to ruin the part. Fun stuff, can't wait to see more on these!
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

Sup
    if you could get a layer of honey comb or another sandwich core construction it would make a stiffer rim with very little weight added

and that is my 2 cents
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Subscribed......

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Re: Carbon Fiber Rims

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    Come on Drew, 'splashing' a mold off a current part is one of the oldest tricks in the book! Do it right and you don't even need to ruin the part. Fun stuff, can't wait to see more on these!
    Interesting. Do you have any more details of this technique? Or a link? Ive looked but cannot find anything

Thanks

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pubwheels View Post
    Interesting. Do you have any more details of this technique? Or a link? Ive looked but cannot find anything

Thanks
    Silicone resin. Smooth-on.com has some neat stuff. Still chuckling at myself Dustin, but I'm going to exercise some patience and stick with my original design intent.

mtbr member
    I'd be concerned about their ability to run as an offset lacing like for the front of a pug.

I guess you could swap in a different fork and non-offset.
    Fatbike Chicago on Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mochunk View Post
    I'd be concerned about their ability to run as an offset lacing like for the front of a pug.

I guess you could swap in a different fork and non-offset.
    I love my Pugsley and all, but I'd upgrade to a new frameset before I'd upgrade to carbon rims.

Smash Mode: ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Silicone resin. Smooth-on.com has some neat stuff. Still chuckling at myself Dustin, but I'm going to exercise some patience and stick with my original design intent.
    You don't even need to get that carried away. Just treat the original part like your plug. Add some temporary flanges around the perimeter and modify the shape of the part if needed with foam covered in tooling resin and/or modeling clay. Coat it with a system of release agents and form the mold right over the original part using standard techniques. A rim doesn't have proper relief for a one piece mold so you would need a parting flange as well (which you can see evidence of right down the middle of the rim).
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    no details on those, but I'd prefer to see them double wall and not just a copy of an existing rim... more to come soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2silent View Post
    no details on those, but I'd prefer to see them double wall and not just a copy of an existing rim... more to come soon.
    And hopefully with no rim-braking surface for disc only. I'm sure that would shed some grams.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    certainly

mtbr member
    First it was drilling holes.. now this! I cannot wait until I sell the kids so I can get started on this sort of thing!

Amazing!
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    This is a guy in Anchorage. He is making them himself.
    He had different rims at different weights, but one of them was in the mid 500 gram range.
    They looked reasonably well made.
    Unlaced, they are super flexy, laced, they felt solid.
    To correct some misinformation:

Correction 1.......mid 400(!) grams.........a set raced the WhiteMountains 100 in Fairbanks Alaska.......Janice T..........on a 449 gram front rim and 499 gram rear. (That is less than a pound for that front rim. ) Janice T. mentioned that the smooth carbon surface shed overflow and slush....the holy-alum. rims and ribbon rimstrips attracted the slush.

The "...flexy...", but, "...felt solid." rim that Pbasinger mentions was 411 grams. I go 190 lbs. and was unable to fail it on the rear laced symetrical on my 9Zero7/170 symetrical rear. That 411 gram rim was a "stunt" not for all-world use.

Asymetrical lacing has been accomplished. Dorothy's 9Zero7/135mm rear is setup this way.

Correction 2. ......These have been on the trail since fall of 2011. The project began a year or more earlier. They've been on the trail for 2 seasons now in various weights and laminate schedules. (laminate schedule could be defined as...number of layers of material, properties of the various materials, and it's location in the laminate stack...........this is the beauty of composite structures........locate the strength/stiffness/flex(?) where you design it to be)

Correction 3. .......RD was not used as a "mold". The early-attempted first generation rims were based on a "graceful" rim. The process was not working..... ......as I developed the process the RD became available, and the profile appeared to be a great structural shape...... This second generation rim looks very similar to RD. There are subtle differences.

Corr. 4. I quote Pbasinger:"...reasonably well made...". Whewh, that could 'ouch' hurt my feelings ("could", but it doesn't....these are made to be light, and the cosmetics will improve)..........I have poured effort into this project......and have derived..and ridden...since fall 2011....an 80mm carbon fat rim......and continue the development. (a 100mm and wider are on tap, as well as a narrower hoop) I refuse to add weight by including a glossy finish or using a pretty carbon weave outer surface for cosmetic reasons alone.......Thank You P for helping me think and realize why I do this........it's about........decreasing the rotating mass of my fatbike........no offense P!!

A note to all......please take ZERO offense if questions are left unanswered or take some time to be answered. I fix airplanes for a living (yep!, remember the Wright brother's, cycle-builders?) and our busy season in Alaska is just now upon us. Plus, there's great crust skiing to be had soon for us skate skiers, the SuperCub bushplane-accessed backcountry powder is excellent at the moment (I was out yesterday), biking-even skinny biking- can be had, snowkiting is ON, and when the ice breaks up, kitesurfing and surfing season will have arrived. Busy season!!! So why would I be on a webforum???

Thank You. D E6roller
    Last edited by E6roller; 04-03-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Thumper

Carbon fat wheels

Well the Rolf fat carbon wheel is a kickassure cool lookin but was an April fools joke I sadly fell for last year
    Name:  FatbikeRolf.jpg
Views: 3034
Size:  103.5 KB

Here is the new HED Carbon wheels coming out very soon. Might not be the lightest wheels but hell ya....I want em.
    Carbon Fiber Rims-hed-carbon-fiber-tri-spoke-fat-bike-wheels1-600x517.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Or the Spinergy version... in my basement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Rims-spinergy.jpg  

mtbr member
    wow super interested in the wider than 100, how much like a 110? 120? do tell I'd love to hear more.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast