Carbon Fatbike at Iceman

Printable View

  • 10-22-2012
    tazducks
    Carbon Fatbike at Iceman
    Little birdy told me that a company out of Colorado will be at Iceman race expo hall with a USA made carbon snowbike??? anyone?
  • 10-23-2012
    gfs69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tazducks View Post
    Little birdy told me that a company out of Colorado will be at Iceman race expo hall with a USA made carbon snowbike??? anyone?

    Nice, I will be sure to check it out.
  • 10-23-2012
    deuxdiesel
    Yes, looking forward to that as well. I'm sure 616 and Quiring will have their fat bikes as well. But just like regular MTB's, you save maybe 3 pounds off of a frame by going carbon. The real weight loss/performance potential will be in carbon rims and lighter tires.
  • 10-23-2012
    Velobike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Yes, looking forward to that as well. I'm sure 616 and Quiring will have their fat bikes as well. But just like regular MTB's, you save maybe 3 pounds off of a frame by going carbon. The real weight loss/performance potential will be in carbon rims and lighter tires.

    But in the meantime, any weight saving is appreciated...
  • 10-23-2012
    GTR2ebike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Yes, looking forward to that as well. I'm sure 616 and Quiring will have their fat bikes as well. But just like regular MTB's, you save maybe 3 pounds off of a frame by going carbon. The real weight loss/performance potential will be in carbon rims and lighter tires.

    Your not saving 3 lbs compared to an alloy frame.
  • 10-23-2012
    easterntide
    Personally this is really exciting. FatCarbon can give shapes that are doable but heavier w aluminium. i want my next fatbike (aka this spring....) to be carbon w front suspension and sub 29lbs.
  • 10-23-2012
    Kris
    Am I the only one who LIKES the fact that their fat bike is like a rolling pig? I've got my super light, super fast carbon HT (19lb custom Scott Scale), it's got it's place in the quiver. When winter comes and the trails are covered in snow going fast is the last thing on my mind. After a long year of XC, road and cross racing fat biking is my time to kick back, forget about lactic acid and have fun with my buds.

    I like the heavy wheels too (holy rolling darryls, heavy surly tubes, 120tpi Lardomorph). I find when I get off the packed line into the deep snow the gobs of rotational inertia help me keep plowing through until I can make my way back to the packed snow.
  • 10-23-2012
    Logantri
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Your not saving 3 lbs compared to an alloy frame.

    Say what?

    A carbon fat bike would be cool, but with 4"+ wide tires the ride qualities that are deemed an upgrade would be heavily muted. Weight savings MAYBE 1-2 pounds.
  • 10-23-2012
    Velobike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Am I the only one who LIKES the fact that their fat bike is like a rolling pig?...

    Depends how you're using your fat bike.

    Sometimes it's taking me, other times I'm taking it - methods ranging from carrying it a thousand feet up a scree slope, dragging it through dense heather, lifting it over 7' deer fences, to throwing it across deep creeks.

    If I was just pedalling the bike, I wouldn't care, but for the way I use my bike, light is good.
  • 10-23-2012
    MendonCycleSmith
    First step towards the downfall of a niche.

    First carbon, then, Trek will discover them and "perfect" them by making it hopelessly proprietary, and convincing the uneducated masses that they are in fact, the pioneering brand.

    I'll take life without fat carbon, thank you. ;)
  • 10-23-2012
    buckfiddious
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Am I the only one who LIKES the fact that their fat bike is like a rolling pig? I've got my super light, super fast carbon HT (19lb custom Scott Scale), it's got it's place in the quiver. When winter comes and the trails are covered in snow going fast is the last thing on my mind. After a long year of XC, road and cross racing fat biking is my time to kick back, forget about lactic acid and have fun with my buds.

    I like the heavy wheels too (holy rolling darryls, heavy surly tubes, 120tpi Lardomorph). I find when I get off the packed line into the deep snow the gobs of rotational inertia help me keep plowing through until I can make my way back to the packed snow.

    I agree, to a point...

    I've watched mountain bikes evolve from the original, 30+ pound, first generation, cobbled together out of odds and ends, overbuilt monsters to the lightweight, swift, underbuilt and over-focused racers that they are now.

    I don't want to see that happen to fatbikes- I don't want them to become 19 pound racebikes.

    But I really wouldn't mind seeing the weight come down in rational ways. most of us don't need overbuilt DH cranks, we just use them because they're the cheapest option. Large Marge rims are probably overbuilt for motocross. And I suspect that sometimes, surly specs the heaviest steel tubes they can find, just because.

    I don't want a carbon fatbike, but I appreciate the sentiment- we don't have to just accept that these bikes will weigh 36 pounds.

    And the thing is, that's what you find so much on this forum- "hey, 47 mm trials rims weigh and cost less, and they work really well!" or "You can use regular tubes and save money and weight!"
  • 10-23-2012
    Drew Diller
    I think most of you are blowing this concept out of proportion.

    With all the weight weenie-ing that has gone on to get mountain bikes to their conventionally sold state that they're in now... you do realize that people still buy a lot of Surly brand bikes *because* of their durable reputation and not exactly svelte weight?

    I don't think it's going to change anything. Not going to reduce weight all that much. Just an additional option for people that nerd out on carbon. Self included.

    Here's one thing that hasn't been brought up about carbon, and surprises me. Special down tube. Make room for a significantly larger frame bag while completely ditching any suspension fork compatibility. I think it's a reasonable idea.
  • 10-23-2012
    Shark
    Come on fat carbon mojo or fat carbon tallboy.

    My wallet is waiting lol
  • 10-23-2012
    Sac29
    Will it be purple?;)
  • 10-23-2012
    buddhak
    Carbon fiber fat bike tech certainly will not appeal to everyone, but for the folks who are taking fatbikes into the AM/XC race realm (I am thinking of bikes like the Sandman Hoggar) it makes as much sense as titanium. How bad ass would a sub 25lb carbonium trail fatbike on 47mm rims be? I'd ride a bike like that in a second. I'd still keep my Pugs, though.
  • 10-23-2012
    AC/BC
    Carbon frames are typically only about pound or so less then hydroformed aluminum "race" frames. So take that off a Beargrease frame and there is a reasonable expectation of weight. But in no way is it going to make a very dramatic difference in the weight of these bikes. It's the combination of parts you use that really cut the fat
  • 10-23-2012
    nvphatty
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Yes, looking forward to that as well. I'm sure 616 and Quiring will have their fat bikes as well. But just like regular MTB's, you save maybe 3 pounds off of a frame by going carbon. The real weight loss/performance potential will be in carbon rims and lighter tires.

    I contacted Quiring about a full squish and would he be the guy to venture this way...answer i'm probably not that guy.
  • 10-23-2012
    gcappy
    Well, I like going fast! I have been riding my 9-0-7 Lefty, BFL's on Clownshoes, 32-33#'s, on all the trails I can find and I am riding with my bud's on their 26 and 29 er's. They can't believe the fatty is not a slow pig. I let everyone ride it to see for themselfes. This bike rocks the technical trails instilling confidence because of the extra traction. Also the super tire diameter helps it roll over logs and rocks better than my 29er.

    I will take a carbon frame and anything else carbon if it saves weight and is strong enough to withstand my riding style.
  • 10-23-2012
    Velobike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    ...I will take a carbon frame and anything else carbon if it saves weight and is strong enough to withstand my riding style.

    Sums it up nicely.

    Every 1,000' you have to carry a pound when you're knackered leads to less appreciation of that pound. :)
  • 10-23-2012
    29Again
    Did not think CF frames were still made in the USA? I am waiting on the "Fat Chinese Carbon" thread to appear, even before Trek/Giant/Specialized get into the market. CF frames are not my cup of tea because I crash too much.

    A little weak internet sleuthing has me guessing it will be Funk Cycles from CO, that shows up at the 2012 Bells Niceman Expo with a "Carbon Fatbike frame". They should have plenty of metal based Fatbike company at the Expo.
    http://www.funkcycles.com/about.php

    tazducks, are you lining up fat in Kalkaska on Nov 3rd? Fat Triple Crown in play?
  • 10-23-2012
    ozzybmx
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    Say what?

    A carbon fat bike would be cool, but with 4"+ wide tires the ride qualities that are deemed an upgrade would be heavily muted. Weight savings MAYBE 1-2 pounds.

    Theres quite a few alloy and Ti fatbike frames already around 1600-1700g mark, a carbon frame would probably come in around 1200g going on regular carbon frame weights.
  • 10-23-2012
    ozzybmx
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 29Again View Post
    I am waiting on the "Fat Chinese Carbon" thread to appear

    This ^^^ and 200 of them for sale on ebay from 50 different sellers at $350 a frame :thumbsup:
  • 10-23-2012
    crux
    Would be cool to have a "HEAVY" (metal) and "light" weight (carbon) wheel set. Get your training in during the week then go play on the weekend. Carbon frame would be cool as well. Waiting for the clunker carbon fat bike to hit the market.

    Think it would be cool crossing the lines of this bike

    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1264/...ca3d281d19.jpg

    With the fat bike
    http://fat-bike.com/wp-content/uploa...paper-1440.jpg

    and be in carbon
  • 10-23-2012
    Drew Diller
    A carbon fat twin top tube cruiser you say?

    That sounds ridiculous....ly appealing for some reason.
  • 10-23-2012
    sylus
    Isn't a carbon fat bike a bit like putting a light weight jumper on a fat girl?