Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carbon Fatbike at Iceman

14K views 81 replies 43 participants last post by  Greenfin 
#1 ·
Little birdy told me that a company out of Colorado will be at Iceman race expo hall with a USA made carbon snowbike??? anyone?

#3 ·
Yes, looking forward to that as well. I'm sure 616 and Quiring will have their fat bikes as well. But just like regular MTB's, you save maybe 3 pounds off of a frame by going carbon. The real weight loss/performance potential will be in carbon rims and lighter tires.

#7 ·
Am I the only one who LIKES the fact that their fat bike is like a rolling pig? I've got my super light, super fast carbon HT (19lb custom Scott Scale), it's got it's place in the quiver. When winter comes and the trails are covered in snow going fast is the last thing on my mind. After a long year of XC, road and cross racing fat biking is my time to kick back, forget about lactic acid and have fun with my buds.

I like the heavy wheels too (holy rolling darryls, heavy surly tubes, 120tpi Lardomorph). I find when I get off the packed line into the deep snow the gobs of rotational inertia help me keep plowing through until I can make my way back to the packed snow.

#9 ·
Am I the only one who LIKES the fact that their fat bike is like a rolling pig?...
Depends how you're using your fat bike.

Sometimes it's taking me, other times I'm taking it - methods ranging from carrying it a thousand feet up a scree slope, dragging it through dense heather, lifting it over 7' deer fences, to throwing it across deep creeks.

If I was just pedalling the bike, I wouldn't care, but for the way I use my bike, light is good.

#12 ·
I think most of you are blowing this concept out of proportion.

With all the weight weenie-ing that has gone on to get mountain bikes to their conventionally sold state that they're in now... you do realize that people still buy a lot of Surly brand bikes *because* of their durable reputation and not exactly svelte weight?

I don't think it's going to change anything. Not going to reduce weight all that much. Just an additional option for people that nerd out on carbon. Self included.

Here's one thing that hasn't been brought up about carbon, and surprises me. Special down tube. Make room for a significantly larger frame bag while completely ditching any suspension fork compatibility. I think it's a reasonable idea.

#15 ·
Carbon fiber fat bike tech certainly will not appeal to everyone, but for the folks who are taking fatbikes into the AM/XC race realm (I am thinking of bikes like the Sandman Hoggar) it makes as much sense as titanium. How bad ass would a sub 25lb carbonium trail fatbike on 47mm rims be? I'd ride a bike like that in a second. I'd still keep my Pugs, though.

#16 ·
Carbon frames are typically only about pound or so less then hydroformed aluminum "race" frames. So take that off a Beargrease frame and there is a reasonable expectation of weight. But in no way is it going to make a very dramatic difference in the weight of these bikes. It's the combination of parts you use that really cut the fat

#18 ·
Well, I like going fast! I have been riding my 9-0-7 Lefty, BFL's on Clownshoes, 32-33#'s, on all the trails I can find and I am riding with my bud's on their 26 and 29 er's. They can't believe the fatty is not a slow pig. I let everyone ride it to see for themselfes. This bike rocks the technical trails instilling confidence because of the extra traction. Also the super tire diameter helps it roll over logs and rocks better than my 29er.

I will take a carbon frame and anything else carbon if it saves weight and is strong enough to withstand my riding style.

#19 ·
...I will take a carbon frame and anything else carbon if it saves weight and is strong enough to withstand my riding style.
Sums it up nicely.

Every 1,000' you have to carry a pound when you're knackered leads to less appreciation of that pound. :)

#20 ·
Did not think CF frames were still made in the USA? I am waiting on the "Fat Chinese Carbon" thread to appear, even before Trek/Giant/Specialized get into the market. CF frames are not my cup of tea because I crash too much.

A little weak internet sleuthing has me guessing it will be Funk Cycles from CO, that shows up at the 2012 Bells Niceman Expo with a "Carbon Fatbike frame". They should have plenty of metal based Fatbike company at the Expo.
http://www.funkcycles.com/about.php

tazducks, are you lining up fat in Kalkaska on Nov 3rd? Fat Triple Crown in play?

#27 ·
The scrappers wont come and grab my non recyclable frame from the dumpster when it becomes obsolete. I will probably just have to burn it, along with the tires and some 'black water' from my car's last fluid change.
Does carbon have a hand signal like \m/etal does?

I think I have a good one that I use :thumbsdown:

#40 ·
Love my tank

I have an original purple Pugsley and love my tank! I think it is great that new products are coming out and that people have money to burn on carbon forks, super light rims and such. It is great to ride these bikes year round but in the end they are meant for winter riding where you end up wearing tons for clothes and can only fly down the trail so fast!
Weight wiennies may have their place but I don't think the area of the Fat Bike is it.

Just my opinion of course.

#41 ·
I think it is great that new products are coming out and that people have money to burn on carbon forks, super light rims and such.
Well, it was a choice between putting the money into a hedge fund or the bike. The bike won out. I have a 40lb Pugs and a 28lb "weight wienie" fatbike. I love my Pugs, but I feel dirty shameful lust for my Ti fatbike:devil:

I have yet to ride either in the snow. Damn global warming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.