Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Its frustrating, inquired 2 months ago and was told they would be in stock for the USA at the end of January...... but obviously that was a false email they sent me. I really wanted a Canyon Dude 9.0 but they are still nearly vapor ware here in the US.

I gave up on the Dude and picked up a one yr old Specialized Fatboy Expert Carbon instead for $2K with carbon Syntace bar, seat post and a few extras. Not a bad price for a nearly $6K fatbike with HED carbon wheels. So glad I didn't wait on the Dude and miss winter riding as I did get to enjoy fatbike snow riding with the Fatboy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Things are going well with mine. Lucked out ordering when I did I guess.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    This seems to be a crazy situation. There seems to be so much demand for this bike in its various forms and no one can get one as there isn't enough stock.

If I was starting over from scratch getting into a fatbike, I would be hard pressed to consider anything else in terms of value for money, quality of components and weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
    Its frustrating, inquired 2 months ago and was told they would be in stock for the USA at the end of January...... but obviously that was a false email they sent me. I really wanted a Canyon Dude 9.0 but they are still nearly vapor ware here in the US.
    $2800 for the Canyon Dude 9.0 - N/A right now.

$2800 for a Specialized Fatboy Carbon Comp - Better specced and available at your LBS right now or it can be ordered at the shop within a week.

Don't see the value of waiting around for that Dude...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post

$2800 for a Specialized Fatboy Carbon Comp - Better specced and available at your LBS right now or it can be ordered at the shop within a week.

The bikes are fairly close, but the Fatboy is not better spec'd than the CF9.0. Both bikes are priced the same ($2,800), and have GX Eagle and a house brand cockpit. The Fatboy has Level brakes, a house brand wheelset whereas the 9.0 upgrades to Guide brakes and a DT Swiss BR2250 wheelset with star ratchet hubs.

The Fatboy also has less progressive geometry (70.5 head angle vs. 68.5 for the Dude, 455mm chainstays vs. the Dude's adjustable 439-455).

mtbr member
    Anyone know where/how to order one?
    Thanks,
    Tbob

Is it time to ride yet?
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post

Old post but still relevant. .... 1) I looked into that option but carbon Fatboys in the XL frame size were long sold out so not an option. (Found an SWorks in XL locally but they still wanted $7,000 so I walked)

2) I honestly don't think the Fatboy Carbon Comp is worth $2,800 with the house brand Stout wheels among other things. Much rather have the DT Swiss wheels and hubs Which makes the Dude much more attractive and a great value.

I would have bought a carbon Farley 9.8 (impressive bike and I'm not a fan of Trek) before a Carbon Fatboy but once again the XL frame size was sold out when I was shopping.

3) If you would have read my whole post (not just quoted what you wanted) you wouldn't have missed the fact that I did not wait and had already bought a lightly used Fatboy Expert Carbon ($5,900 bike) for much less than either the Dude or the Comp Carbon.

Sure I whould have loved a Dude (and so will the lucky owners) but more importantly I love the Carbon Expert Fatboy and don't regret it one bit, especially with the ease of tubeless of the HED carbon wheelset.

I used to think fatbikes were just a goof or a waste until getting on one that is light, nimble and doesnt have bottom spec components. Once summmer hit I swapped the slow rolling GC tires for some 4.8 Jumbo Jims and can't say how awesome (fun) it is to ride a 23 lb fatbike. Makes even boring flat or mundane trails fun to ride.

After trying the Fatboy my riding friends are now selling off their 30 to 35 lb fatties and wanting to pick up much lighter bikes with carbon wheelsets as it performs in a whole different league. Definitely not what most people expect from a fatbike, my self included. So much fun on new or familiar trails that my 22lb carbon 29er hasn't left the basement since last November.

Overall the Dude is a great value when they finally are avaliable in the US and will recommend it to my friends if they are set on buying a new bike. If used is an option then there are some sweet deals out there on high end fatbikes for less than half of new prices. Some even with multiple tire and wheelsets.

Best advice is to buy the best component spec fatbike you can if you are going to ride it year around. Go cheap if you are just looking to get a beater winter bike to ride and possibly trash from road salt commuting. But come summertime low end drive train shifting will drive you nuts and basic cable disk brakes adequate for winter will be woefully under powered and borderline dangerous.

mtbr member
    May 2016

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The 2019 model was just posted for Europe and Asia. New red/Orange colors.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-jp/mtb/dude/dude-cf-9-0-trail.html
    The Canyon Dude Wait Club-dude2019.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12