Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Cannondale fatbike 2014 model

Well, just got done with a visit from a Cannondale rep tonight. Hopefully this is not repeated news.

Cannondale will be bringing out a fatbike later this summer as a 2014 model.

The only details he seem to know were: steel frame, ~$1400 and was coming from their UK ties (not sure what he meant exactly). He had seen a picture of it, but didn't really have anymore details (he was roadie centered more so).

mtbr member
    You had me until you said it would be made out of steel.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member

Re: Cannondale fatbike 2014 model

He was probably talking about the GT...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Oh, forgot about Cannondale being in the group with GT, Mongoose and Schwinn. I'd bet as well that the new Cannondale fatbike would have a GT tie if it is steel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    A Cannondale made out of steel??!

Must be from their French division... Mon goose.

banned
    Aug 2012
    I hope they introduce a few tire companies to their (future) efforts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Cannondale fatbike 2014 model

Could be pretty trick, I have a sub twenty pound Cannondale half fat.

Cannondale fatbike 2014 model-dsc_2366_007.jpg

Not much steel besides the chain, rear axel, pedal spindles and spokes though.

mtbr member
    The OP is correct, I heard the same thing from my Cannondale rep last week. It is suppose to be steel from one of the UK brands Dorel owns, I believe it was Charge Bikes. Although I hear it was going to be around $1700. Cannondale's new year starts July 1, so it won't be long.

B.

ouch....
    More options are never a bad thing, but if they are going to the effort, why not try something new and exciting...
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    would be nice to seem some more aluminium frames

but more makers building fat bikes is a good thing! My manager doesn't want to get into selling fat bikes so we don't put my bike on the show floor.

maybe this will change things since we're a big cannondale dealer

(although it could be very likely that they won't bring the fat bike to Japan)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I agree, it would be nice to see some good Aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by thing View Post
    would be nice to seem some more aluminium frames

but more makers building fat bikes is a good thing! My manager doesn't want to get into selling fat bikes so we don't put my bike on the show floor.

maybe this will change things since we're a big cannondale dealer

(although it could be very likely that they won't bring the fat bike to Japan)

turtles make me hot
    9 Zero &, Fatback and Salsa all make good aluminum frames. It's not like there arent any.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They make great snow bikes, I have had a Fatback for two and a half years and really like it. It is awesome! Just looking for a proper trail bike.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    9 Zero &, Fatback and Salsa all make good aluminum frames. It's not like there arent any.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They've resisted making steel frames for .... what, 40 years?
    And now for a bike that is meant to spend a lot of its time in snow, they're going to make one?

Something seems off about that. Steel's kinda in style at the moment, with the thin elegant tubes, and maybe it's a way to grab some press for Cannondale, "first steel frame we've ever made!", while not having the frame be a downgrade (i.e. heavier) from their current product line. I mean it would be hard for them to introduce a steel road frame or hardtail 29er; Cannondale's not cool enough to pull that off.

But still, if this were a poker hand, I'd find something too fishy about this not to call the bet.
    Last edited by Godlikedog; 05-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Cannondale fatbike 2014 model-fat2.jpg

Not steel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat2.jpg 
Views:	19185 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	802050

Not steel.
    That's a 9:zero:7 with a paint job

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Man, why don't they do what seems to me to be the easiest way to introduce a fat bike. they could just make a new rear triangle for one of their aluminum 29er full suspension frames, make some more of the old lefties with removable clamps, knock out some wider clamps on a CNC mill, or just bond the wider clamps to the new hybrid carbon lefties, and maybe some wider hubs like the Supermax uses, and some kind of easy to do adapter to put wide spindle cranks in a PF30 BB shell, and they would have the first full suspension fat bike, and could sell quite a few of them at a very premium price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wow, so much negativity here on news that should be good and help expand this niche segment of bikes. The info is what it is and nothing more at this point in time. These are just bicycles and different ones will have features some will like and some will not, simple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Wow, so much negativity here on news that should be good and help expand this niche segment of bikes. The info is what it is and nothing more at this point in time. These are just bicycles and different ones will have features some will like and some will not, simple.
    So, all comments on a bike forum should be confined to positive discussions about actual bike features?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    That's a 9:zero:7 with a paint job
    ....and internal cable routing

Is that Will's bike???

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So do we get a lefty with that? Seems only natural.

ouch....
    Exactly!
    Would be very cool.
    More people are riding fat bikes all year as their main trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Man, why don't they do what seems to me to be the easiest way to introduce a fat bike. they could just make a new rear triangle for one of their aluminum 29er full suspension frames, make some more of the old lefties with removable clamps, knock out some wider clamps on a CNC mill, or just bond the wider clamps to the new hybrid carbon lefties, and maybe some wider hubs like the Supermax uses, and some kind of easy to do adapter to put wide spindle cranks in a PF30 BB shell, and they would have the first full suspension fat bike, and could sell quite a few of them at a very premium price.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Don't get me wrong.
    I am glad that they will be making a fat bike, no matter what it is made out of, or what name they will put on it, and I like steel frames.
    But, why would Cannondale go with a steel frame for their first fat bike?
    As far as I know, they have never put the Cannondale name on any steel frame. The aluminum frame is pretty much why Cannondale became a major player, since they were one of the very few to use them in the 80's, and early 90's, and they were known for being light and very stiff.
    For them to use a steel frame now, when it is more expensive to do so(at least for a lightweight frame), doesn't really make sense, since they never used steel when it was cheap and everyone else did use steel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It would be really cool if they would make a Fatty Headshock frame and fork that was actually a Fatty.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    That would be a Fatty-fatty headshok! I like the idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast