Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can someone clue me in please?

6K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  MendonCycleSmith 
#1 ·
Ok, so last few months I've been riding plenty, but not on forums much due to new Jeep wrangler :)
I get back here, and all I see is beast-this, walmart-that....ummm...:confused:

As long as Ive been on the forums, it really didn't matter what type of bike it was, if it was any type of dept store bike, especially walmart, it was frowned-upon....common knowledge that if you even look at it wrong, it will spontaneously combust....

What is going on?

Really, honestly, I am asking a 100% serious question. Flame me if you like but I'm not trolling. Just quite surprised to be reading all this stuff about a walmart bike.:skep:

#12 ·
Unlike most of the critics, I actually have one...meaning I've really rode it and am not speculating from the sidelines. First off, the components suck and are boat anchors. The tires are very heavy too. Coaster brake on back...not my thing either, plus no brake up front. All that being said, I'm having a blast with it! I love to tinker and build things, which makes this a great platform for that. Even if I soak another $300 into it I'm still not into it for much money and I'm having fun. I have an additional $125 or so into mine and I really enjoy riding it. I will upgrade brakes still.

So I feel it's just about opinion, taste, cost, ability, and most importantly fun. If you don't like it...cool. If you buy one, chances are you will like it. If you have the ability to drop lots of cash on a turn key bike and not the ability or desire to tinker around...I get it. I just hope everyone is having as much fun as I am and I wish everyone a great summer of riding whatever you got wherever you can.

Mitch

#57 ·
Don't use that bike for big jumps.

It is not widely known but there is a fault with the differential spigot nut on the foophle valve. It is inadequately sintered and under extreme impact forces has been known to revert to its powder form.

This causes the rider to slip backwards off the saddle but then lurch forward only to suffer gonadic extrophy from the Brookes saddle springs. This ends his riding career but equips him for a job as vocalist in a boy band. What happens to a female rider can't be discussed in a polite forum but is commonly called "goosing".

And everyone knows you need big balls to do big jumps.

Reactions: Shark
#3 ·
Yes is getting more exposure than I expected, between it and repetitive tubeless threads on stuff covered many times already.... probably why I haven't been on here much lately :skep:

Its a nice time of the year to just get out and ride here at the moment.....

#4 ·
Summary:

Basically WalMart have introduced a fatbike shaped object which is ideal for the bike experimenters on here.

No-one thinks they're getting a Rolls Royce.

No-one seems to think they didn't get value for money.

Many of the parts are destined straight for the tip, but there's enough left to have a framework to hang more durable/lighter fatbike bits on and still have a bargain bike.

Fatbikers in other countries are green with envy at the price.

It has been proven in competition by the Walgoose factory rider Manuel Beastly. :)

Summary of summary:

It's fun.

Bike snobs are offended (which adds to the fun).

#9 ·
And...

I think people are happy to see someone putting downward price pressure on the existing fat market. About as low as you can get! Yes, pun intended. OK.. so the spec of components kind of sucks. OK... so they don't pose any threat to the real fatbike companies. Actually... it might have a trickle up effect, where new low budget folks get inspired by this "emerging niche" and buy a better bike!

Whatever. It does not bother me in the least. I like the creativity if nothing else.

#10 ·
I thought all the talk about it would be simmering down by now, but people are apparently doing a bunch of upgrading, or at least talking about it. I still think it will die down, and become a non-topic before long. I do think it is a great thing to happen(the beast being made, and being sold at Walmart), but I am not really interested in talking about it very much. It doesn't bother me to see a few threads up there that I'm not interested in though. I just skip down to something that does, but there hasn't been a whole lot to talk about recently.

#13 ·
Yeah i have one too. And I also own another more expensive fat bike.
My Beast get road more. I love the simplicity of it and the fact that I can lock it up outside and go into a store or a bar. I would never leave my other fat bike unattended. I've kept it largely stock for that reason. It's actually pretty quick with the rotational-weight mods i've done. I routinely pass slow ppl on much more expensive bikes.

#15 ·
One of the funniest things (TO ME) is that Pacific Cycles is sending whole bikes as replacements for parts that break (and they don't have in stock). Can anyone please tell me why the individual was "blacklisted"; I'm new to this procedure, but maybe this will get me deleted too.

#16 ·
I personally don't get it. I understand the whole tinkering aspect, but which parts are worth keeping? They've managed to make the frame tinker-resistant, with the unique BB width, no brake mounts, weird geometry, etc. If you're gonna replace everything anyway, just buy a used Pugs frame and hang your parts bin components on it.

I don't like Walmart and their business practices. I don't shop there for anything else, either.

As a craftsman (woodworking), nothing about this bike appeals to me. It's disposable. The fact that the warranty support consists of sending out a complete replacement bike for even the most minor problem confirms this. It's even more disturbing than the bike itself.

#17 ·
Interest in the Walbeast might be a reflection of dormancy in the bike market. I love Santa Cruz, and my family has four of them, but when a 650b me-too (IMO) bike is heralded as a significant innovation, things are dormant (IMO). I don't even have a horse in the race since I reside in socal, land of fruits, nuts, but not fatbikes, but these threads are (TO ME) the most interesting on MTBR now. Can't wait to see what Chopsmitty has in store for his.

#20 · (Edited)
think of all the years of fat bike riding these poor people have sat out on waiting for a $200 pile of poo

I think bighit is right. These guys will be back on better bikes. They're hooked
There are two distinct hobbies going on here - tinkering in the garage and fatbike riding. Not everyone is actually riding these bikes beyond the driveway and local MUP for a coffee.

You don't need a Fatback to shred the MUP. ;)

#22 ·
It's exactly what fat biking needed - something cheap, simple, reliable-enough, and servicable for kids.

They likely wont have to the strength or weight to bend axles or break the coaster hub. They can grow into the bike and out of it too. Geared down a tad it should be rideable for most.

#34 ·
It's exactly what fat biking needed - something cheap, simple, reliable-enough, and servicable for kids.

They likely wont have to the strength or weight to bend axles or break the coaster hub. They can grow into the bike and out of it too. Geared down a tad it should be rideable for most.
I'm sure glad my Father didn't adhere to this philosophy. I grew up liking to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.