mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cake 24" Fatbike?

Has anyone ridden or looked into the Cake 24" fat bikes produced by Peacock Groove? They are 24" fat bikes built around the HED 24" fat bike rim.

CAKE

I'm 5'4" with an On one Fatty V2 16" and am feeling that it is too long. I've started to look into reach/stacks of stock fat bikes and there is a big gap in short reach fat bikes.

There is a great chart that graphs reach vs stack of all alloy and another chart for carbon frames: Fat Bike Stack and Reach ? rideFATbikes.ca

This concept of smaller 24" wheels for better fit for shorter riders is growing on me.

mtbr member
    I've checked them out when they first reached out to HED. I've never ridden one(I'm 6'3), but I have seen them in person. The crew is pretty cool and they have their own unique style. They do lots of demo events but only in their local area. I like the 24" fat concept, but tire options are limited.

Human Test Subject
    I love the concept and think all bikes should come in different wheel sizes instead of trying to force people into 700c or 29+ or whatever.

I tried 29+ and even at 6' it felt too tall and they market those on 15" frames.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The only problem with 24" fat is the lack of tire choices and frame choices.

5'3" is not that small, have you ridden some of the tighter geometry frames set up with light wheels and smaller tires?

I'd look at the CF Beargrease S, 404mm reach, 580mm tt or the Surly Wednesday XS 400mm reach, 570mm tt.

There are even tighter frames: Ventana El Gordo xs, 381mm reach, 562mm tt, 587mm stack. Also has sliding drops and three levels of custom.

Keep in mind that short chainstays quicken the handling, short stems do the same. I run a longer tt, short cs frame (Wozo) with a 35mm stem. The Wozo is a bit stretched.

If you can get some light wheels and tires, DT Swiss with CF rims, Jumbo Jims 26 x 4, that might agile up your ride.

Waltworks would build you a custom frame

If you must have 24" wheels, run narrow trials rims (47mm) to get the weight down and some 120 tpi Specialized Ground Controls 24 x 4.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I have long legs/short torso which magnifies the issues with reach. I like short stems on my regular 27.5 hardtail but when I tried this on my fat bike it didn't work as well in snow.

With a short stem in snow, I felt this fatigue in my upper body from constant tension fighting the tire. This got better with a longer stem but then it just feels too long in general.

Here is my list of stock fat bikes and their reach. It's odd, some like the RSD and Nutrail have really tall stacks which is also a problem.

The cannondale seems the best option for me right now in a stock 26er. Farley is next on the list. Custom of course is desired option too. I had Walt design me a frame and had it built by Waltly Chi Ti. That worked out pretty well.

Ventana El Gordo XS Reach 381
    Surly Ice cream truck XS 388
    Farley 15.5 383/598 - 2017 model
    Cannondale Fat Caad xs 376 / 607 stack
    RSD Sheriff S 382/604 (only sold local in Canada)
    RSD Mayor 371/630
    Mukluk 391
    Fatback Corvus 387/581
    Blue philly 387/599
    Cube nutrail 381/625 stack
    Specialized Hellga small 380/580 stack

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    So I have long legs/short torso which magnifies the issues with reach. I like short stems on my regular 27.5 hardtail but when I tried this on my fat bike it didn't work as well in snow.

With a short stem in snow, I felt this fatigue in my upper body from constant tension fighting the tire. This got better with a longer stem but then it just feels too long in general.

Here is my list of stock fat bikes and their reach. It's odd, some like the RSD and Nutrail have really tall stacks which is also a problem.

The cannondale seems the best option for me right now in a stock 26er. Farley is next on the list. Custom of course is desired option too. I had Walt design me a frame and had it built by Waltly Chi Ti. That worked out pretty well.

Ventana El Gordo XS Reach 381
    Surly Ice cream truck XS 388
    Farley 15.5 383/598 - 2017 model
    Cannondale Fat Caad xs 376 / 607 stack
    RSD Sheriff S 382/604 (only sold local in Canada)
    RSD Mayor 371/630
    Mukluk 391
    Fatback Corvus 387/581
    Blue philly 387/599
    Cube nutrail 381/625 stack
    Specialized Hellga small 380/580 stack
    What fat bike were you riding when you had upper body fatigue? Might be a geometry issue, perhaps not slack enough.

Fat bikes handle odd to begin with, running front tire pressure too high will make it twitchy and it'll bounce all over the place. Try running front pressure a few psi lower than rear pressure.

How about some suspension, wider bars, drop stem, etc...

It'd be an interesting experiment to make big changes to the existing fat bike, add an Angleset, add a fork, swap tires, etc...

I thought I had my fatty dialed, three wheelsets for all types of terrain, but then I got on a rutted single track and it was so awful I almost preferred to ride across unbroken terrain.

I read that article you linked, it's pretty much on target, though I think they don't give enough (any) credence to head tube angle. The same can be said for seat tube angle, slacking out the seat is not helpful esp if you use a dropper.

Honestly, I'd stay clear of smaller wheels, the market barely exists. You're better off with a properly fit 26er. Talk to Mikesee and Walt.

BTW, 5mm is less than 1/4", which is not significant. Geometry is more than numbers. Ride first, you might be suprised.