Loser

Busted Maxle on Bucksaw

I went for a ride last night a mile into the ride my rear wheel locked up. I looked down and the maxle was hanging out of the frame on the lever side. The lever is completely missing - I had two crashes last week and I suspect that during one of them I sheared off the lever and on the rides since then it's been working it's way out. How I missed the fact that the lever was missing is beyond me. I suppose it's possible that it fell off on the ride last night, but as I did the mile walk out I didn't find it.

Anyway - can I just get the lever assembly or do I have to buy the whole thing? I'm waiting for the LBS to open, so I'll have my answer in an hour regardless, just thought I'd ask here.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Destructive little bastard! Just glad you weren't injured cause of that...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You BEAST!!

banned
    Sep 2008
    QR SKEWERS FTMFW!!!

vibes bro

hack

Loser
    I just pulled it apart and I sheared off the bolt that holds the lever on (I didn't see that sheared bolt before). It has a gear shaped end on it inside the maxle, so I don't see an option to fix this without getting something from the bike shop.

since 4/10/2009
    I have never seen parts for these available. New Maxle it is!

I wish DT Swiss would make an RWS thru axle that would fit. They've got a 15x150.

Loser
    Bike shop says it's not in the database they are calling Salsa. I hate when that happens. I took the Maxle off my 2014 RIP9 to see if I could steal the lever and mechanism to get my BS up for the short term - it has a completely different system than the one on my Bucksaw.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Bike shop says it's not in the database they are calling Salsa. I hate when that happens. I took the Maxle off my 2014 RIP9 to see if I could steal the lever and mechanism to get my BS up for the short term - it has a completely different system than the one on my Bucksaw.
    good thing you hava fatboi with reliable rear wheel QR.

Loser
    I broke this one by hitting the lever on a rock, the rod that the lever attaches to is probably only a bit smaller than a QR axle. I'm not sure this is a design issue, probably more of a "I hit it too hard on a rock issue". I never had a problem with the Maxle on my RIP9, I'm chalking this one up to a one time event rather than design (for now).

since 4/10/2009
    I broke this one by hitting the lever on a rock, the rod that the lever attaches to is probably only a bit smaller than a QR axle. I'm not sure this is a design issue, probably more of a "I hit it too hard on a rock issue". I never had a problem with the Maxle on my RIP9, I'm chalking this one up to a one time event rather than design (for now).
    Since your shop can't find a catalog listing, I wouldn't be surprised if you're the first person to break one of these things.

This place needs an enema
    Refreshing to hear someone take responsibility for their actions these days. Good on ya.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I'm not sure this is a design issue, probably more of a "I hit it too hard on a rock issue"
    Agreed that personal responsibility FTW... but on a personal level, I'm glad I found you. You didn't just break a derailleur, you broke an even smaller sticky-outie thing.

Death to sticky-outie things. When my pets go into combat mode, their ears go down.

I just use bolted things, but my experience with a Maxle was basically *oh this thing is sweet*, I would just like similar behavior that requires a bolt / wrench combo.

Like an obscurity-keyed bolt down Maxle. Oh man. Lots of functions in one.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Loser
    yeah, that lever had plenty of scratches on it last time I saw it :-)

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Death to sticky-outie things.
    Speak for yourself! I like my sticky-outie thing, thank you very much!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Speak for yourself! I like my sticky-outie thing, thank you very much!
    Yeah my wife does this to me constantly. You'd think I'd learn to not set myself up.

Never learn...

Death to inappropriately protruding things on mountain bikes.

...Make me go all reasonable. What the heck man.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    yeah, that lever had plenty of scratches on it last time I saw it :-)
    We're gonna get you some curb feelers and relabel 'em rock feelers!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

beer thief
    Agreed that personal responsibility FTW... but on a personal level, I'm glad I found you. You didn't just break a derailleur, you broke an even smaller sticky-outie thing.

Death to sticky-outie things. When my pets go into combat mode, their ears go down.

I just use bolted things, but my experience with a Maxle was basically *oh this thing is sweet*, I would just like similar behavior that requires a bolt / wrench combo.

I just bought a Robert Axle (thru -axle) for a BoB trailer. It is essentially a Maxle with no lever, but has a threaded end for the BoB bobbin. You could cut off the threads and have a low profile Maxle. Of course it was about $70 with shipping so you'd really have to want it.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I just bought a Robert Axle (thru -axle) for a BoB trailer. It is essentially a Maxle with no lever, but has a threaded end for the BoB bobbin. You could cut off the threads and have a low profile Maxle. Of course it was about $70 with shipping so you'd really have to want it.
    That sounds cool. Thanks!

All fat, all the time.
    Didn't you get the memo, you aren't allowed to post bike issues... It's bashing! Lol.
    Hope you get it fixed up! I try to check the maxle before every ride.... Forget sometimes though.

Loser
    It will be nearer to the top of things I check from now on.

hmm. I don't think it would be too hard to mod this broken maxle into one that is tightened via a head head bolt. I'm going to see if I can make that work, just for grins - and I suspect the new one will be north of $60 - the LBS never called me back yesterday, which is not a good sign.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

Loser
    Hmm, it might! have to see if I can get more specs.

Loser
    Stupid request, but can someone take a close up picture of the lever side of the maxle in their Bucksaw? I can't remember what was there besides the lever itself.

beer thief
    Stupid request, but can someone take a close up picture of the lever side of the maxle in their Bucksaw? I can't remember what was there besides the lever itself.
    Here you go.

If you go with the Paragon, make sure the thread pitch is 1.75. Your axle should be labeled with this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Busted Maxle on Bucksaw-img_4524-medium-.jpg  

Busted Maxle on Bucksaw-img_4525-medium-.jpg  

Loser
    Awesome. I think I can make this broken one work.

Loser
    BTW it looks like the DT Swiss one will work mechanically - assuming it's long enough. It says "177mm long" on the DT site, but the broken Maxle says L: 217mm. I presume that's the total length and that it is actually 177mm between the end and the threads. I'll wait and see what the LBS says and will make this broken one work with a hex head bolt (hopefully).

beer thief
    BTW it looks like the DT Swiss one will work mechanically - assuming it's long enough. It says "177mm long" on the DT site, but the broken Maxle says L: 217mm. I presume that's the total length and that it is actually 177mm between the end and the threads. I'll wait and see what the LBS says and will make this broken one work with a hex head bolt (hopefully).
    Yes, the 177 is correct. I wondered about that same thing when I ordered the Robert Axle but it came in as the correct size. Definitely make sure the thread pitch is the same!

Loser
    I went to look at how I could make the broken Maxle work and found that I not only sheared off the lever, but I also bent the axle itself, so I'll need to source one, this one won't work even if I can figure out a way to make it tighten.

Loser
    LBS says if I pay the extra shipping cost they'll have one for me tomorrow. I'm doing it. I want to be riding my BS for the long weekend (no offense to my other inferior bikes)!

(oh and it took a little prodding to get them moving, sometimes I wonder why LBS don't understand the urgency, you gotta do more than send an email jeepers!)

beer thief

Robert Axle also makes a low-profile skewer, no need to hack as I suggested above: Robert Axle Project | 12x142mm Bolt-on Axle Replacement | Robert Axle Project

Don't mean to derail your thread, John, but maybe this is a good solution if breakage becomes an issue.

aka bOb
    Just a thought. my Maxle on my Blackborow is the same thread pitch that is on my Twenty2 Shimano thru axle. I realize these are both 197 frames but something to consider checking into a shimano if you have a hard time sourcing the maxle. (if the pitch is the same)

mtbr member
    just as bdundee says: remember the thread pitch of DT swiss and shimano and syntace and maxle are not neccessarily the same. if memmory serves there is even some variation by the same brand with DT? (which may have been for the beargrease, i cannae mind...)

Maxle 12mm- a 1.75mm pitch thread -
    Shimano 12mm- a 1.5mm pitch thread -
    Syntace & DT swiss- a 1mm pitch thread.

is i think the usual...

paragon do thru axles now as well as the rober axle mentioned above - not sure if this would help?

Loser
    I got the new Maxle from the LBS - I had to pay for the overnight shipping, but they didn't charge me for the actual Maxle. It has a price tag of $74.99 on it, ouch.

turtles make me hot
    I got the new Maxle from the LBS - I had to pay for the overnight shipping, but they didn't charge me for the actual Maxle. It has a price tag of $74.99 on it, ouch.
    Jesus.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Bucksaw Aluminum (177 x 12): 12 x 217mm L, TP=1.75, TL=20mm
    I bent my maxle, and wanted the Robert Axle Project "Thunder" solid aluminum axle, but it was too long. They offered a 12mm spacer to make up the diff., but now I'm considering the DT Swiss or the BoB options That radair cited. It seems the BoB option also requires the 12mm spacer, and I can't find the DT one, which I assume is hollow anyway. I bought a used 2016, so probably no warranty of any kind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Salsa just released new axles specific to their frames, I got mine on Monday for Bucksaw use because I was worried about the Maxle failing. You have to be careful because all the thread pitches possible (1.25, 1.5, 1.75 ) are in use on the 12mm thru axles.

https://www.modernbike.com/salsa-dea...th-tp1.75-tl20

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rcracer2 View Post
    Salsa just released new axles specific to their frames, I got mine on Monday for Bucksaw use because I was worried about the Maxle failing. You have to be careful because all the thread pitches possible (1.25, 1.5, 1.75 ) are in use on the 12mm thru axles.

https://www.modernbike.com/salsa-dea...th-tp1.75-tl20
    I got one of these for my Bucksaw recently. I really like it. The extra width of the Maxle was a liability for me. I banged mine on rocks way too often.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    ...and half the weight of the Maxle -43g.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The thunder is also an option and IS stiffer since it's not hollow. I know the hub axle is shifting under high cornering load on my BS because the brakes start to rub and hub axle clamp surfaces show movement wear. I plan on fixing that. The thunder axle should be capable of using all the threads on the right side.

mtbr member
    Thanks rcracer, just ordered the lightweight one.
    I'll get the Thunder if that bends, but I didn't like the need for an extra 12mm spacer + the big bolt head on it. Probably sticks out a little more than the Maxle?